PDA

View Full Version : KG: "People in the West are getting stronger because of the Spurs,''

flipcritic
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/steve_aschburner/02/19/west.trades/index.html

In a commentary piece by SI's Aschburner on the 3 big blockbuster trades, KG had this to say...

"People in the West are getting stronger because of the Spurs,'' Kevin Garnett told USA Today. "The Spurs are the best team in the league. Yo don't have to go by records; they're the champions. Phoenix made their move because of the Spurs. I think the Lakers made their moves because of the Spurs.''

About time somebody said it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Kudos to KG. :tu

Medvedenko
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Master of the obvious forum. Of course the Spurs are the team to beat....teams always tweak their lineups to contend with the best.

duncan228
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
The article the quote is from is here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87539

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
The Lakers would have made that move regardless of the Spur's existence. A byproduct of the trade is that it helps them compete against the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
The Lakers would have made that move regardless of the Spur's existence. A byproduct of the trade is that it helps them compete against the Spurs.

How did I know that was coming . . . .

T Park
02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
of course dazed shows disrespect. He has no life.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Just pointing out the obvious. Of course nobody tries to discredit the content of my post, but hey that would take some sort of intelligence.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, of course the Lakers would take the opportunity to grab an All-Star caliber player without having to give up on anything of significance. But one suspects that the need to make such a deal arose from the injury to Bynum, the possibility of losing spots in the standings, and the uncertainty about whether Bynum could hang with Duncan and other West bigs for the duration of a 7-gamer in May. With all of that said, it would be pretty hard to argue that the impetus to get Gasol had nothing whatsoever to do with the San Antonio Spurs.

T Park
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Just pointing out the obvious. Of course nobody tries to discredit the content of my post, but hey that would take some sort of intelligence

Show some and you'll recieve some.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Well, of course the Lakers would take the opportunity to grab an All-Star caliber player without having to give up on anything of significance. But one suspects that the need to make such a deal arose from the injury to Bynum, the possibility of losing spots in the standings,

That was the main impetus for the trade. You're other crap about Bynum not being able to guard Duncan is irrelevant considering we traded away our best bigman defender in Kwame Brown.

T Park
02-19-2008, 07:15 PM
You're other crap about Bynum not being able to guard Duncan is irrelevant considering we traded away our best bigman defender in Kwame Brown

If he was your best, you guys are screwed against the Suns, and Spurs.

ludda
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
KG speaks the truth.

But KG is still a punk.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
If he was your best, you guys are screwed against the Suns, and Spurs.

You wrongly assume Bynum won't be able to do a competent job against them. I shouldn't expect better from you though, you don't know shit about any other team not named the Spurs.

T Park
02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
You wrongly assume Bynum won't be able to do a competent job against them. I shouldn't expect better from you though, you don't know shit about any other team not named the Spurs.

When did Andrew Bynum become a good defender?

He sure as hell wasn't one back in November when the Spurs played.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
When did Andrew Bynum become a good defender?

He sure as hell wasn't one back in November when the Spurs played.

Go look at his stats and game tape before you talk shit. One bad game against the Spurs in November does not dictate what kind of defensive player he is.

Sense
02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Go look at his stats and game tape before you talk shit. One bad game against the Spurs in November does not dictate what kind of defensive player he is.

How is he in the playoffs? Against the playoff Tim Duncan?

Oh wait..

GrandeDavid
02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Palavra up, as we say in Brazil. Major ups to KG for speakin the real.

Purple & Gold
02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
spurs fans think the basketball world revolves around them :dramaquee

GrandeDavid
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't think the basketball world necessarily revolves around the Spurs, but I do think that the basketball world of a Spurs fan gyrates around the ball whirling around the rim before dropping through to clinch the fifth championship in franchise history.

smeagol
02-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Pretty annoying when a LakerFan patronizes the SpursFans . . . in a fucking Spurs discussion board!

Purple & Gold
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Pretty annoying when a LakerFan patronizes the SpursFans . . . in a fucking Spurs discussion board!

Hey smeagol, if you haven't noticed there's a whole bunch of fans from other teams. I mean they even got a Queens and Pistons section. :dramaquee

Purple & Gold
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't think the basketball world necessarily revolves around the Spurs, but I do think that the basketball world of a Spurs fan gyrates around the ball whirling around the rim before dropping through to clinch the fifth championship in franchise history.

Well since the spurs are allergic to defending their titles, it's gonna be at least another year. Let's hope Bynum doesn't blow da fuck up more than he already has. Because if he does, it's over for rest of the NBA. :elephant :elephant :elephant

MavericksDynasty
02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
KG's right. Back in the day teams made their moves because they were afraid of Dallas. You knew you're weren't going to beat Donaldson and company without a little help, so a midseason trade was a team's only hope to get better. No surprises there, the 87-88 Mavericks were just being the dominant force they were supposed to be.

DazedAndConfused
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
The Spurs have yet to show me that they are the #1 team in the league at this point. Until they do nothing they have done in the past means shit to me.

hater
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
no shit

Rummpd
02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
The Spurs have yet to show me that they are the #1 team in the league at this point. Until they do nothing they have done in the past means shit to me.

Uh the true champions kicked some LAL &*% last game and the soft Gasol does not scare Spurs fans.

LAL has in truth been over hyped and now with Kobe's injury the LAL are toast for this year and next year the Spurs add Splitter and have more cap room in expiring contracts than any other West power.

remingtonbo2001
02-19-2008, 09:31 PM

:rolleyes

MagnusKrauss
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
The Lakers have yet to show me that they are the #1 team in the league at this point. Until they do nothing they have done in the past means shit to me.

fixed :spin

lonestr
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Aye vato, the Spurs aint got to prove shit to You! Seems the Spurs don't got nothing compared to the LaLa Laker's with the current team. If you're so confident with the current roster, why the ranting? Maybe you have deep seeded worries. I will tell you a little secret, most Spurs fans are happy with the Laker's roster too. That should tell you something.

I guess if you really look at it, the playoffs are seven games series and it's got to be screwing with your mind. Why else would you come in here and banter "the Spurs ain't shit".

ClingingMars
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey smeagol, if you haven't noticed there's a whole bunch of fans from other teams. I mean they even got a Queens and Pistons section. :dramaquee

and this is the SPURS section, dumbass.

-Mars

nfg3
02-20-2008, 12:23 AM

And every year at this time they wll continue NOT to prove anything to any team. It's not what they do. They aren't interested in being the #1 now but the #1 team in June. Always building for the playoffs. Their way on their shedule. That's the MO in case you haven't figured it out.

Until they do nothing they have done in the past means shit to me
:huh :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm still intersted in seeing something other than a hope and a prayer to suggest that Andrew Bynum is going to be able to do a competent job defending dominant bigs in a playoff series without getting himself into foul trouble or worse -- for crissakes, Oberto got so under his skin in LA, during a regular season game, that the kid got himself run out.

T Park
02-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm still intersted in seeing something other than a hope and a prayer to suggest that Andrew Bynum is going to be able to do a competent job defending dominant bigs in a playoff series without getting himself into foul trouble or worse -- for crissakes, Oberto got so under his skin in LA, during a regular season game, that the kid got himself run out.

No question. That was a pretty mentally weak moment.

Im sure those Dazed and confused will shout us down for alluding to such a blind thing.

u2sarajevo
02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Honestly I think the Mavs might have gotten worse against the Spurs with their trade. I will certainly wait and watch the game curiously but we lost 2 players that played key roles in helping us beat the Spurs.

And I think Phoenix did certainly trade in part to try and match up with the Spurs, but I would say they equally wanted to keep up with their division rival.

But KG is right about one thing for sure..... the Spurs are the team to beat.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
What more proof do I have to give that Bynum is more than capable of defending the best bigs in the league? Go check the stats out there and see for yourself. He has held D12 and Kaman to very low #'s, well below their averages. I'm curious to see why you think he can't guard these guys, he's got a height and length advantage over all of them, he's mobile and quick for his size, he studies game tape like a beast to learn his opponent's tendencies, and he is learning from the best center in the history of the NBA. What makes you think he is such a HORRIBLE defender? Instead of making me back up my claims why don't you backup your baseless and senseless claims.

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
What more proof do I have to give that Bynum is more than capable of defending the best bigs in the league? Go check the stats out there and see for yourself. He has held D12 and Kaman to very low #'s, well below their averages. I'm curious to see why you think he can't guard these guys, he's got a height and length advantage over all of them, he's mobile and quick for his size, he studies game tape like a beast to learn his opponent's tendencies, and he is learning from the best center in the history of the NBA. What makes you think he is such a HORRIBLE defender? Instead of making me back up my claims why don't you backup your baseless and senseless claims.

I didn't say he was a horrible defender. I just wonder if his regular season prowess will translate to the postseason. He's never had to defend a big who commits to playing on the box during a postseason. Frankly, I think he'll be fine, but then again, I haven't completely bought into the notion that Bynum is already one of the dominant big men in the game -- he's certainly well on his way, but a solid effort on both ends for the duration of a playoff run would make a convincing point.

T Park
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Instead of making me back up my claims why don't you backup your baseless and senseless claims.

Were not the one spouting off bullshit on an opposing team's message board.

MavDynasty
02-20-2008, 12:56 AM
why isnt Jeff posting on SD anymore?

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
I didn't say he was a horrible defender. I just wonder if his regular season prowess will translate to the postseason. He's never had to defend a big who commits to playing on the box during a postseason. Frankly, I think he'll be fine, but then again, I haven't completely bought into the notion that Bynum is already one of the dominant big men in the game -- he's certainly well on his way, but a solid effort on both ends for the duration of a playoff run would make a convincing point.

I see your point. Of course we don't really know what Bynum can do in the post season because the kid hasn't really been given a chance (last season he just wasn't ready).

I would say because the WC is so devoid of quality bigmen Bynum is already in the top 10 no question. BUT, this doesn't mean he is nearly as developed and polished as someone like Duncan is. Bynum still has a ways to go, but at 20 years old the sky is truly the limit for this kid if he keeps working hard.

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2008, 01:02 AM
I see your point. Of course we don't really know what Bynum can do in the post season because the kid hasn't really been given a chance (last season he just wasn't ready).

I would say because the WC is so devoid of quality bigmen Bynum is already in the top 10 no question. BUT, this doesn't mean he is nearly as developed and polished as someone like Duncan is. Bynum still has a ways to go, but at 20 years old the sky is truly the limit for this kid if he keeps working hard.

The West is devoid of quality big men?

You need a new schtick, Jeff.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 01:03 AM
The West is devoid of quality big men?

You need a new schtick, Jeff.

Yao Ming, Tim Duncan..........name me another quality center in the WC.

LilMissSPURfect
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
so the spurs need to win a title in February to prove something..im MANUfused?

703 Spurz
02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Just pointing out the obvious. Of course nobody tries to discredit the content of my post, but hey that would take some sort of intelligence.

What makes it obvious? You saying it is?

LilMissSPURfect
02-20-2008, 11:08 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/steve_aschburner/02/19/west.trades/index.html

In a commentary piece by SI's Aschburner on the 3 big blockbuster trades, KG had this to say...

"People in the West are getting stronger because of the Spurs,'' Kevin Garnett told USA Today. "The Spurs are the best team in the league. Yo don't have to go by records; they're the champions. Phoenix made their move because of the Spurs. I think the Lakers made their moves because of the Spurs.''

About time somebody said it.

:clap

cash459
02-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Well since the spurs are allergic to defending their titles, it's gonna be at least another year. Let's hope Bynum doesn't blow da fuck up more than he already has. Because if he does, it's over for rest of the NBA. :elephant :elephant :elephant

and if he doesnt and stays exactly where he is at now, what then for the Lakers...........STFU until the Lakers actually do something with the lienup they have or prove something in the REAL season, the playoffs. :ihit

ancestron
02-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Marcus Camby
Chris Kamaan
Shaquille O'Neal
Tyson Chandler
NeNe
Erick Dampier
Lamarcus Aldridge
Carlos Boozer
Al Harrington
Andris Biedrins
Channing Frye

all quality big men in the Western Conference.

cash459
02-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Kaman? Kaman is a guy you wanna base his stats off defending. When was the last time he was in the all-star game?

and sure he may have height and quickness, but he doesnt have all the game knowledge that he needs. Duncan can outsmart him and beat him. He doesnt have to overpower him or out quick him.

cash459
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Marcus Camby
Chris Kamaan
Shaquille O'Neal
Tyson Chandler
NeNe
Erick Dampier
Lamarcus Aldridge
Carlos Boozer
Al Harrington
Andris Biedrins
Channing Frye

all quality big men in the Western Conference.

:clap he probably needs MORE evidence than that.....that would make too much sense :rolleyes :dramaquee

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 12:14 PM
:clap he probably needs MORE evidence than that.....that would make too much sense :rolleyes :dramaquee

I should have clarified my question. Those guys you mentioned are all good players but they are NOT elite centers.

Yao Ming, Tim Duncan = Elite Centers

The era of true back-to-the-basket centers seems to be over. Andrew Bynum is perhaps the only young developing prospect that fits this mold. If you want to argue that there are more elite centers now than 10 years ago I"m all up for that debate.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Kaman? Kaman is a guy you wanna base his stats off defending. When was the last time he was in the all-star game?

and sure he may have height and quickness, but he doesnt have all the game knowledge that he needs. Duncan can outsmart him and beat him. He doesnt have to overpower him or out quick him.

So making the All-Star game is the only determination of how good a player is? In that case Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker are horseshit.

Kaman is putting up near 20/10 numbers and is having a breakout season this year. If you knew anything about basketball or followed any team not named the Spurs you would know this.

ancestron
02-20-2008, 12:58 PM
you really should just stop posting here.

cash459
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
So making the All-Star game is the only determination of how good a player is? In that case Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker are horseshit.

Kaman is putting up near 20/10 numbers and is having a breakout season this year. If you knew anything about basketball or followed any team not named the Spurs you would know this.

youre saying that you are judging how bynum plays against kaman....so if he doesnt make the all star game, how could does bynum's defense have to be!? MORON!

Tony and Manu are talked about on espn and every other sports show for the definite skills they have.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Fuck you are dense. Go look up his stats against the top Centers in the league, the kid has more than held his own. Of course that'd be too much work for you to do so you're probably going to sit their and keep spouting the same old nonsense that Bynum can't play defense.

ancestron
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Dude, Bynum did well for what like 2 months? Then he got hurt. Now he's still hurt.
Last year he was what, slightly above average at times?
We all are aware that the kid has a wealth of talent and tremendous potential, but he hasn't done jack yet in the grand scheme of things. If you want to crown him then crown his ass.

Spuradicator
02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Respect

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow you better tell your boy Sean Elliot to STFU too. He was jocking Bynum's cock bigtime on ESPN Radio today.

cash459
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Dude, Bynum did well for what like 2 months? Then he got hurt. Now he's still hurt.
Last year he was what, slightly above average at times?
We all are aware that the kid has a wealth of talent and tremendous potential, but he hasn't done jack yet in the grand scheme of things. If you want to crown him then crown his ass.

EXACTLY!!.....come talk when he ACTUALLY does something besides getting splinters in his ass from the bench!

cash459
02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow you better tell your boy Sean Elliot to STFU too. He was jocking Bynum's cock bigtime on ESPN Radio today.

NOBODY said he didnt have skills/potential...but you are ready to induct him to the friggin HOF w/out him even proving himself in an entire season, let alone in the post season.....so why dont YOU CALM the F*** down

z0sa
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM

if you think bynum OR gasol has a chance at guarding duncan effectively over a seven game series ...

ouch. hopin for a lakers-spurs rematch more badly than ever

cash459
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
if you think bynum OR gasol has a chance at guarding duncan effectively over a seven game series ...

ouch. hopin for a lakers-spurs rematch more badly than ever

agreed :toast

Cry Havoc
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
First of all, Bynum has to come back from his injury. And not just come back at 100%, but come back, get back into NBA regular season shape, THEN get into NBA Playoff shape in virtually no time at all (and yes, there is a gulf of difference between the two). THEN, if the Spurs and Lakers make it that far, he has to play the best, most experienced big man in the league over the past decade. Also perhaps the best big man in the history of the NBA at exploiting young players into making mistakes and getting into foul trouble.

Don't get me wrong. I love Bynum's game. The kid has serious skill. But that would be a huge task for any player in the league to do, and in a pressure-packed WC playoffs, he's going to have to overcome a lot of adversity just to GET to play Duncan (provided the Spurs make it).

Keep in mind that if things were a 100% go and Bynum had been playing out of his head for the entire season with zero hiccups, this would still be a massive task for a player of 20 years old to contain Tim Duncan. As it stands, I just don't see how he can do it. So much poise and experience, and the playoffs tend to exacerbate the weaknesses of those who haven't been mentally battle-tested for the pressure and havoc that 48 minutes of playoff ball can cause.

George Gervin's Afro
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
so now we have laker fans telling us that a 21 yr old with less than 3 yrs in the league is one of the all time greats? :rolleyes

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Way to twist my words. Typical of the rabid Spurs fans.

I said Bynum could do an adequate job guarding Duncan meaning he will stop him from scoring 30+ ppg and dominating the glass. He has shown this season to be very capable of keeping the best centers in the game today to either their averages or below their averages. If he can do that the Lakers will be fine, we won't need Bynum to hold Duncan to < 10 ppg. Just make him work hard for his points and keep him off the glass.

If you think he cannot do that then fine, that's your opinion. From what I've seen of him this year I think he is more than capable of that.

Medvedenko
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Man, spur fans are the ornery bunch....

cash459
02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
almost anybody in the NBA can D up another player and hold them below their averages in a game; granted, other factors can be factored in home/away game, on night/off night for a shooter, etc., etc.

How they play through a series is what determines the better player. That of which we have yet to see from Bynum. Thats all we're saying (most of us) and that he has yet to prove himself in that aspect & yet Laker's fans act as though he is the second coming already. Yes he's good, yes he has skills/talent, yes he was having a good season before the injury; but every sports fan knows that everything is up in the air after an injury, no matter what it is. if it sidelines a player it can change a lot.

Just look at it from both sides, like you sit here and complain that we as Spurs fans do not do, and then get worked up when we point it out....

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
almost anybody in the NBA can D up another player and hold them below their averages in a game; granted, other factors can be factored in home/away game, on night/off night for a shooter, etc., etc.

How they play through a series is what determines the better player. That of which we have yet to see from Bynum. Thats all we're saying (most of us) and that he has yet to prove himself in that aspect & yet Laker's fans act as though he is the second coming already. Yes he's good, yes he has skills/talent, yes he was having a good season before the injury; but every sports fan knows that everything is up in the air after an injury, no matter what it is. if it sidelines a player it can change a lot.

Just look at it from both sides, like you sit here and complain that we as Spurs fans do not do, and then get worked up when we point it out....

good point

cash459
02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
good point

thanks...... :tu

SA Gunslinger
02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
If he can do that the Lakers will be fine, we won't need Bynum to hold Duncan to < 10 ppg.

Actually this happened and you still lost.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AhGuat7N8.B.yQPWr4i0ZfWLvLYF?gid=200 7111324

CaptainLate
02-20-2008, 06:22 PM
...and next year the Spurs add Splitter and have more cap room in expiring contracts than any other West power.

Do the Spurs get to add LeBron in 2010 so he and Tony can take Duncan into his twilight years...like Alcindor and the Showtime Lakers? :elephant

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually this happened and you still lost.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AhGuat7N8.B.yQPWr4i0ZfWLvLYF?gid=200 7111324

That was an early early game in November man. It doesn't really have much bearing at all considering Kwame Brown was starting and guarding Duncan most of the game.

When the Lakers and Spurs play again this season it will be more telling of where the two teams are at.

CaptainLate
02-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Amare S. in Phoenix is a perfect example...and Bynum is no where near that level.

CaptainLate
02-20-2008, 06:40 PM

You said "devoid of quality big men". Now you want us to name Centers? Make up your mind. :dizzy

Agloco
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Based on what KG has to say, so do a lot of veteran NBA players. Don't forget that this discussion is about what he said, not about what some random Spurs fan said.

Four of the last nine titles tends to grab peoples attention. You could make the argument that the basketball world revolves around the Spurs right now.

z0sa
02-20-2008, 07:14 PM

I said Bynum could do an adequate job guarding Duncan meaning he will stop him from scoring 30+ ppg and dominating the glass. He has shown this season to be very capable of keeping the best centers in the game today to either their averages or below their averages. If he can do that the Lakers will be fine, we won't need Bynum to hold Duncan to < 10 ppg. Just make him work hard for his points and keep him off the glass.

If you think he cannot do that then fine, that's your opinion. From what I've seen of him this year I think he is more than capable of that.

you didnt get my point at all.

Tim cant be kept off the glass. Ever.

And if he gets his playoff average (23 some odd points per game) then thats all fine and dandy too. Problem is, lets see Bynum get either his rebounding or scoring averages from the season in the playoffs.

So basically you're agreeing with us even though you keep saying we're being "rabid". You make no sense. :blah

Agloco
02-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Yeah, it's really bare out there.......

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
you didnt get my point at all.

Tim cant be kept off the glass. Ever.

And if he gets his playoff average (23 some odd points per game) then thats all fine and dandy too. Problem is, lets see Bynum get either his rebounding or scoring averages from the season in the playoffs.

So basically you're agreeing with us even though you keep saying we're being "rabid". You make no sense. :blah

Please tell me how Duncan will dominate on the glass when the Lakers field a front court of Bynum (7'1"), Gasol (7'1"), and Odom (6'11"). There is a reason your FO picked up Kurt Thomas and it has everything to do with the Lakers new frontline.

Martin R
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree with KG.

It is sooooo obvious that both moves were intended to stop Duncan, "the low post butcher"

Yuixafun
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Marcus Camby.

Chandler and Kaman on the rise..

Yuixafun
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM

I said Bynum could do an adequate job guarding Duncan...

He will have to stay on the floor. I reckon he'll be hard pressed to not foul out. Duncan routinely get bigs in trouble come playoff time.

Pump fake, banker.. foul. Up and under.. foul. Power move.. foul. Sweep across the lane deep in the paint, foul.

Smell what i'm cooking.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 08:23 PM
The key to guarding Duncan is stopping him before he makes his move. We can bring a deadly double team of Bynum and Gasol at Duncan and completely neutralize his court vision and ability to find open cutters. That will be our biggest weapon against him IMHO.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Great, he'll just pop it out to Kurt for the open jumper.

z0sa
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Please tell me how Duncan will dominate on the glass when the Lakers field a front court of Bynum (7'1"), Gasol (7'1"), and Odom (6'11"). There is a reason your FO picked up Kurt Thomas and it has everything to do with the Lakers new frontline.

uh huh. i bet all three of those players shit bricks even thinking about guarding or helping on duncan...

z0sa
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Great, he'll just pop it out to Kurt for the open jumper.

theres not much need to say more, but not only that, kurt isnt exactly a bad passer either. doubling on tims going to leave kurt open for a jumper or possibly a pass to a streaking/penetrating/shooting parker/manu/finley.

its hard to believe lakers' fans, who in all honesty know a thing or two about championship basketball, believe simply hard doubleteams from big (slow) guys is going to stop Tim - whos been firetested in the playoffs against much harder competition. see 2005 finals, tim guarded by sheed/wallace with the other + tayshaun and dice on the help.

you're telling me tayshaun, sheed, big ben and mcdyess on a pistons team that prided itself on extreme defense is less difficult to play against than your motley crue of career underachievers, especially on defense lakers fans?

and we all know who won the best of THAT matchup (spurs and pistons) :tu

cash459
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
The key to guarding Duncan is stopping him before he makes his move. We can bring a deadly double team of Bynum and Gasol at Duncan and completely neutralize his court vision and ability to find open cutters. That will be our biggest weapon against him IMHO.

tim Duncan is one of the BEST passing big men the NBA has ever seen. Listen to any analyst and they will sya that his court vision and passing is far above that of the other big men. Thats one of the reasons he is so dangerous. Even if the lakers bring one of the other "big" men to double, it may work a couple of times but then Tim will read it, disect it, adjust, and find the open man sooner and then the Spurs get open shots. Who ever is the double teamer, will leave a shooter open that is very capable of hitting a wide open shot. We'll see how long that double lasts....and how long bynum can stay out of foul trouble to even make it an issue.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Kurt has a decent midrange jumper but he is far from automatic. Hate to burst your bubble but defenders leave him wide open with that shot even on Seattle.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Right so apparently Tim Duncan is God since he can pass out of any double team and can score on any defender at will. Keep drinking the kool-aid guys.

He has his weaknesses just like any other player.

cash459
02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Kurt has a decent midrange jumper but he is far from automatic. Hate to burst your bubble but defenders leave him wide open with that shot even on Seattle.

ok, theres not a single player in the NBA who is "automatic"

The point is, if he hits a few, the double off him stops, so they try someone else and the cycle repats itself. It's not like the spurs dont have players that have range or can't shoot.

Hell, even if it means one more pass to swing it around, and then they get a open look at a 3 or like someone else said, a streking/cutting manu, finley, udoka or parker

ChumpDumper
Hate to burst your bubble but his jumper is very good.

We already know you have declared this year's paper champion, so bring something different.

z0sa
Right so apparently Tim Duncan is God since he can pass out of any double team and can score on any defender at will. Keep drinking the kool-aid guys.

his weakness is freethrow shooting. passing out of doubleteams and scoring on defenders at will is something tim does very often.

so yes, you are correct in our assumptions.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

He has his weaknesses just like any other player.Like all the Lakers have weaknesses.

cash459
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

nobody said he didnt have any weaknesses, lord knows he has shown those at times....hell, look at last nights game....

the point is, he IS a great passer for a big man & getting doubled is nothing new to him. he will take on the challenge and work through it like the champion that he is.

DazedAndConfused
02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
He has never been double teamed by two 7 footers before. That's my whole point. He won't be able to see over the double team to find open teammates all over the floor. His court vision will be severely limited.

z0sa
02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
He has never been double teamed by two 7 footers before. That's my whole point. He won't be able to see over the double team to find open teammates all over the floor. His court vision will be severely limited.

ben wallace and sheed might not be seven footers, but theyre wayyyyyy better at single/help defense than gasol, bynum and odom combined. edit: not only that, they were playing probably at the peak of their careers, both defensively and offensively, in an intense playoff situation where their defense would have been at its highest level.

your point fails.

cash459
02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
ben wallace and sheed might not be seven footers, but theyre wayyyyyy better at single/help defense than gasol, bynum and odom combined. edit: not only that, they were playing probably at the peak of their careers, both defensively and offensively, in an intense playoff situation where their defense would have been at its highest level.

your point fails.

true dat! :toast

DazedAndConfused
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
This is what we are missing right now with Bynum out. Despite what you think about Kaman he is putting up great numbers this year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_gH72uDLkg

cash459
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Kaman is a joke of a defender.....so you're basically saying that kaman and Duncan are the same player?!? Because you obviously keep using kaman as a measuring stick....that argument holds no water.

Plenty of that highlight, bynum has his hands, arms all over him and blatant pushing. plus, that quickness and explosiveness is going to take some time to get back. both to get aclamated to his knee and to get into playoff shape.

So again, yes he has skills, yes he has potential, but there is no way in any world, that you can compare kaman to Duncan....that is a joke :lol

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Please double team Tim Duncan.

Man In Black
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't get it...Is dazed and confused actually saying that his 2 7-footers with no d-team placements, play defense better together against Tim Duncan(even though they have yet to actually play 1 second on the court together) than A DPOY player in Ben Wallace, and Tim's toughest 1 on 1 cover in Rasheed Wallace plus the smothering rotation that is Detroit?

You're joking right D&C? Hey at least you got the right name.