PDA

View Full Version : Prelliminary Hearing Oct 9 kobe shows up without wife

ducks
08-06-2003, 07:47 PM
EAGLE, Colorado (CNN) -- Flanked by his attorneys, NBA superstar Kobe Bryant faced a Colorado judge Wednesday at a hearing on a charge of sexually assaulting a teenage hotel employee.
Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett scheduled a preliminary hearing for October 9 at which time the charge will be formally read before Bryant.
The 24-year-old Los Angeles Laker star stood quietly and showed no emotion as his attorneys waived his right to be formally advised of the felony assault charge. The hearing lasted only 10 minutes, and Bryant remained silent for most of the proceeding.
Bryant arrived at the courthouse in a sport utility vehicle with his attorneys, but without his wife. Bryant walked past scores of reporters and photographers on his way into the courtroom. He was greeted by cheers and boos from a crowd that had gathered.
Gannett, whose grandparents were New York City newspaper journalists, said he is "flabbergasted" by the amount of media attention the case has drawn.
The hearing was held in a county courtroom that seats 68 spectators. Twenty-two seats were reserved for journalists. Outside the court, a media tent is set up for the hundreds who have descended on this town of about 3,000 people, near the posh Vail ski resort.
Another 30 media satellite trucks from around the country are parked near the courthouse.
Earlier, Gannett said Bryant's attorneys would have three choices in the hearing: agree to a preliminary hearing in 30 days; waive the right to the preliminary hearing, sending the case to district court for an arraignment; or waive the right to the preliminary hearing in favor of an interim hearing in several weeks that would essentially give attorneys more time to prepare.
The Los Angeles Lakers guard was charged with one count of sexual assault after a 19-year-old woman told police that he assaulted her June 30 at a mountain lodge where she worked and where Bryant was staying.
Bryant, who is married with a 7-month-old daughter, has acknowledged having sex with the woman, but insists it was consensual.
"I'm innocent. I didn't force her to do anything against her will," Bryant said in an emotional news conference with his wife, Vanessa, at his side July 18, the day the charge was filed.
If convicted and sentenced to prison, Bryant faces four years to life, but if sentenced to a term of probation, he would receive 20 years to life. He could also face a fine of up to $750,000.
A media village has sprung up across the street from the Eagle County Courthouse in Colorado.
The case prompted NBA Commissioner David Stern to issue a statement Tuesday criticizing the outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks, who said the NBA could benefit financially from the case.
"Any suggestion that there will be some economic or promotional benefit to the NBA arising from the charge pending against Kobe Bryant is both misinformed and unseemly," Stern said. "That idea does not reflect the views of the NBA, NBA owners generally, or others associated with our sport."
He was responding to comments by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who said people not interested in basketball would be more apt to watch the Lakers this year, in turn bringing more viewership, ratings and packed arenas to the NBA.
"It's gonna be must-see TV, and people are going to be excited to see it," Cuban said on "Access Hollywood."
In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Cuban added, "I'm not saying this is a good thing, and I think it's abhorrent to think that somebody thinks that I'm trying to take advantage of a tragedy. That's not the case. I'm just looking at the facts and facing the reality, and that conversation was just to that point: That people follow notoriety."
Bryant and his wife received sustained cheers Saturday when they showed up for the videotaping of the 2003 Teen Choice Awards, which will be broadcast later
scoop (http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/06/bryant.hearing/index.html)