PDA

View Full Version : Splitter write-up on DraftExpress.com

picnroll
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
link (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Scouting-the-NBA-Rights-Held-Players-at-the-2008-Copa-del-Rey/)

timvp
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Sounds pretty interesting. It's weird that in Europe, Splitter hardly ever takes or makes jumpers. However, when he's with Brazil he shows a nice perimeter jumper at certain times.

With the Spurs, Splitter's role will be a lot closer to his role when he plays with Brazil. He'll play the high post and hopefully learn to shoot at least as well as Oberto. If he rebound and defend, he could find playing time rather quickly in the Spurs system.

A good sign is that Luis Scola was supposedly projected to be an average rebounder and a bad defender .... and he's turned out to be a good rebounder in the NBA and an average defender. Splitter is a better rebounder and defender than Scola was so perhaps that will transfer the same way.

remingtonbo2001
02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
:tu good write up

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I found it interesting that they mention that he's not a very good free throw shooter, but he hit at a 64% clip. Not too bad by Spurs big man standards. He's going to fit right in. :tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-19-2008, 08:42 PM
His profile mentions a 9'2" standing reach. That's pretty impressive. It would be nice to only need about a 14" vertical to get enough height to dunk the ball. :lol

Of course, I could swear I've seen Yao dunk before without leaving the ground. :(

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
His profile mentions a 9'2" standing reach. That's pretty impressive. It would be nice to only need about a 14" vertical to get enough height to dunk the ball. :lol

Of course, I could swear I've seen Yao dunk before without leaving the ground. :(

Splitter doesnt have short arms like mr.yao-rex here

GrandeDavid
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Brazilian basketball fans know about Splitter but seem to have no expectations either great or terrible. The local analyists think he'll be a good fit in San Antonio and they say his heart is solid. But this is also considering the backdrop of no Brazilian basketball players having ever become great NBA players, including Leandro and even Nene. Brazilian sports talking heads only get pumped about soccer players. So speaking from down in Brazil, I really am just guessing about the guy. I like his age, size and tenacity, but we'll see how that translates into the NBA. I also like the fact that he's improved his play without Scola beside him.

djohn14
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh God I hope he can shoot better than Oberto.

Lebowski Brickowski
02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Tiago enjoys good soft hands

:oops

dougp
02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
What would it take to get Gasol's brother ... can we trade them Elson for his rights? lol ... MMiller & Gasol's brother for Elson & Bonner?

/dreams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM

Oberto who shoots 62% from the field? Or did you mean FTs, in which case I agree.

Hemotivo
02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
nope

but he's way better than Elson

T Park
02-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Splitter is close to untradeable as a player can get thats not in the big 3.

genomefreak13
02-20-2008, 01:25 AM
As a big man , he sure doesn't rebound a lot.5.9 REB per game , wouldn't fill the need of the spurs for a consistent rebounder off the bench. I sure hope that he improves on his numbers once he steps up for the spurs, otherwise, we'll have another Elson in our hands.

ORION
02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
As a big man , he sure doesn't rebound a lot.5.9 REB per game , wouldn't fill the need of the spurs for a consistent rebounder off the bench.

Those are metric rebounds. That's like 20 in america

Mister Sinister
02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
:lol Metric rebounds.

MoSpur
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm more excited about him coming to the Spurs now.

timvp
02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Splitter is close to untradeable as a player can get thats not in the big 3.Actually, I think he's one of the more tradeable players right now. You can trade him and help yourself win a championship now. Sure, it'd be nice to keep him and hope he pans out down the line but who knows where this team will be when Splitter is ready to produce.

I think he's a good prospect but Spurs fans are acting like he's the Brazilian David Robinson. He's good but it's not even a sure thing that he'll beat out Oberto in the coming seasons.

objective
02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree, unfortunately.

Splitter most likely won't even be given a chance to get big minutes.

With the lone exception of Tony Parker, who was playing behind a first year as a starter at point guard in Antonio Daniels (who Pop never trusted or liked), Pop never gives the young guys chances.

Stephen Jackson rotted away on the injured list while Steve Smith and Terry Porter hobbled their way around. Even the next year, Jackson and Ginobili never would have been who they were without Smith getting injured early in the season and forcing Pop's hand.

Even though Oberto wasn't young, he was new, and Pop wouldn't even give him a chance in 06 against the Mavs after a first half where he wasn't that bad and Nazr and Rasho were worse.

Tiago Splitter = more DNP-CDs than starts as a rookie is highly possible.

picnroll
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Potential + a cheap cpntract for a few years = unlikely to be traded

urunobili
02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
i definitively see Tiago meshing VERY well with us... but as timvp said... if someone gives up something that the FO may consider will help us win now.. he will be expendable...

ChumpDumper
02-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't see the Spurs trading Splitter unless they get back a big man for multiple years. He's too good a fit when you consider the Spurs' needs and available funds this coming offseason.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I think he's a good prospect but Spurs fans are acting like he's the Brazilian David Robinson. He's good but it's not even a sure thing that he'll beat out Oberto in the coming seasons.

True, in fact I think he can learn a lot with Oberto and TD.

He's a good kid but have a lot to work to do to be a starter in the NBA