PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Bobcats Dec. 19

timvp
02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
The Spurs apparently enjoyed themselves over the All-Star break because they returned to the court on Tuesday looking like they had forgotten how the game of basketball is meant to be played. For much of the contest, the Spurs were sloppy and inefficient offensively.

Thankfully, the Spurs had a defensive effort for the ages. By holding the Charlotte Bobcats to 28.2% shooting from the field, the Spurs were able to overcome all their struggles to cruise to an 85-65 victory. The fourth quarter was really where the Spurs pulled away, outscoring the Bobcats 31-16.

The Spurs were really active with their help defense and Tim Duncan was patrolling the middle. While Charlotte helped by missing a bunch of makeable shots, the Spurs never allowed the Bobcats to get into any sort of offensive rhythm.

There is no denying that this was an ugly, ugly game. That said, the Spurs were able to pull out yet another win without the services of either Tony Parker or Brent Barry. A shorthanded victory is always a sweet victory.

-Tim Duncan struggled mightily putting the ball in the basket. Finishing 2-for-12 from the field, Duncan just couldn’t get anything to go. He missed shots he usually hits in his sleep. Defensively, it was a different story for Duncan. He was active and he was looking to protect the rim. Duncan pulled down 15 rebounds and blocked five shots and was the best defender on the court all night for San Antonio. Hopefully he can bring this level of defensive intensity for the rest of the season and into the playoffs. All things considered, it wasn’t as bad of a game for Duncan as it looks to be on paper.

-Manu Ginobili was aggressive most of the night and played reasonably well, outside of his six turnovers. On the night, Ginobili had 18 points, four rebounds and three assists, while shooting 4-for-8 from the floor and 9-for-11 from the line. Defensively, he was above average for most of the game. Perhaps the most notable occurrence for Ginobili was his incident with Pop. Here is the video of the incident on YouTube (thanks to Behrooz24 for uploading it):

CiD_qNoc9ek

All game, Pop was getting on the players about not whining to the referees. In the above play, Ginobili clearly fouls Raymond Felton and then when Ginobili goes to contest the call, Pop and Ginobili get into a somewhat heated exchange and Pop benches him. On most teams, this incident wouldn’t even register on the Richter scale but on the Spurs it’s at least noteworthy.

-Bruce Bowen had a rough game. He was decent to good defensively, but a lot of his success was due to the Bobcats simply missing shots. Offensively, he was a train wreck. After missing his first seven shots, Bowen hit his final two attempts (both three-pointers) to finish with six points on the night. In his 23 minutes, Bowen also had three rebounds, three turnovers and two steals. Overall, it was a forgettable game by Bowen.

-Fabricio Oberto put in 22 solid minutes. Although Pop opted to go small a lot of the game to matchup better with the Bobcats, Oberto produced four points and eight rebounds in his time on the court. His rebounding was part of the reason why the Spurs were able to outrebound the Bobcats 54-38.

-Other than continuing to dribble too much, Jacque Vaughn was effective. In 25 minutes, Vaughn had ten points, two rebounds, three assists, two steals and a blocked shot. He also connected on 4-of-5 shots from the field, after connecting on only eight of his previous 27 attempts.

-Ime Udoka was the first player off the bench as Pop wasted little time in trotting out his small ball lineup. To Udoka’s credit, he responded with a very good showing. He had 12 points, ten rebounds and five assists in 32 minutes of action. He also led the Spurs in plus/minus with a +24. Udoka still has a ways to go in terms of shot selection and knowing what shots he should pass up. He forced a number of shots he had no business shooting. Overall though, this was another step forward by Udoka into Pop’s circle of trust. He came in and helped hold Gerald Wallace to a 0-for-9 showing from the field while rebounding at a good clip while playing power forward. If Udoka can keep rebounding, Pop will go to small ball more and more.

-Michael Finley continues to shine when coming off the bench. He seems to have really adjusted to a bench role for the first time in his career. Against the Bobcats, Finley was one of the few competent perimeter shooters. He finished 6-for-10 from the field on his was to 14 points in 24 minutes. If Finley continues to play well off the bench, Pop may experiment with keeping Ginobili in the starting lineup even when Parker is healthy enough to return.

-In his first two games with the Spurs, Damon Stoudamire looked like a natural fit. He then slumped in his last five games, hitting only 8-of-30 shots from the field. On Tuesday night, Stoudamire again looked like a natural fit. In 23 minutes, Stoudamire had eight points, four assists and three rebounds, while shooting 3-of-6 from the field. He started the second half ahead of Vaughn and the offense ran relatively smoothly with Stoudamire at the helm.

-Robert Horry seems to continue his small steps in the right direction. In 19 minutes of play, Horry hit 1-of-2 from the field on his way to finishing with two points, six rebounds, one assist and one steal. He still doesn’t appear very comfortable offensively yet but his defense is coming along nicely. Horry isn’t going to wow anyone with his play but his basketball IQ will be extremely valuable in the playoffs as long as his body is capable of going along for the ride.

-Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson only played the final few minutes when the game was decided. It appears that Bonner and Elson are behind Duncan, Oberto, Horry and now even Udoka in the bigman rotation. With the trade deadline coming up on Thursday, there’s a chance that one or both of these guys will be traded.

-You know the playoffs are in the not so distant future when Pop starts coaching for real. The happy-go-lucky Pop was replaced by the in-your-face Pop. As the Spurs enter the homestretch, Pop apparently wants to start winning and taking things seriously. Starting now.

All night he was telling the players to ignore the refs. Apparently the happy-go-lucky Pop can tolerate whining but not the current version. When Ginobili complained, Pop was quick to make an example out of him. Although it might have been a bit harsh, it seemed to get the point across to the players that they needed to just shut up and play. The Spurs went on a 19-5 run directly after that incident to finish off the Bobcats.

Ginobili wasn’t the only one who felt the wrath of Pop. Bowen didn’t start the second half as he was replaced by Udoka. It’s unclear if the change was due to Bowen’s shooting, an undisclosed injury, Udoka’s inspired play or something else. My guess is in-your-face Pop was sending a message to Bowen that he needed to pick up his intensity.

The bottomline is this win was a welcomed one. Perhaps this game will signal the return of the lockdown defense Spurs fans are accustomed to watching.

Next up is the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday. Hopefully the Spurs can go out on the road and bring home another win.

Streakyshooter08
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
I haven't see Pop and Manu like this before. I think Pop is right in terms of "not whining". You are not gonna change the call, so just keep playing. A technical once in a while is okay.

Thanks for your thoughts! :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Udoka's rebounding in the small ball lineup actually gives me some faith in it. He is a really good rebounder for his height - uses those big shoulders to box out, and has nice timing. I don't worry so much about getting killed on the boards when Ime is in there.

Finley looking comfortable off the bench lately is another nice observation. Indeed he has, and it really helps the team so I hope he can keep it up.

Also, yup, tonight was Pop starting his engine. No more screwing around fellas, it starts NOW. Time to get out the stonecutting tools.

Bring it on.

Kori Ellis
02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I like Ime's rebounding but I hate his shot selection. I didn't know he was lacking common sense in this area when he was with Portland. It probably won't improve since he is over 30, but I'm glad he hits the glass.

Slippy
02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh man, that was heated.. Pop looks like a ref tossing Manu out of the game.. actually , more like a dad telling his kid go to his room. Kid say it not my fault, Pop screams go to your room you brat! You're grounded.

greyforest
02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
it was funny watching pop turn in to a completely different coach

out come the whips and chains

Supreme_Being
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I have been waiting.

Thanks.

Deimosfobos
02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
In the above play, Ginobili clearly fouls Raymond Felton...

I must be blind, i honestly don´t see a foul there, is all ball as far i can tell... are you sure that was a foul? :wtf

wildbill2u
02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Remember when fans were whining that we HAD to get Bonzi Wells for his toughness and rebounding in small ball. Bonzi is reportedly on the trade block in Houston.

From the Spurs point of view Ime>>Bonzi

wildchild
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh man, that was heated.. Pop looks like a ref tossing Manu out of the game.. actually , more like a dad telling his kid go to his room. Kid say it not my fault, Pop screams go to your room you brat! You're grounded.

:lol

Taco
02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Bobcats Dec.

I thought they looked real...http://mulberrycreek.com/graphix/Herbs/5/85-_75-inch-Rusty-Water-Can.gif

Pop was getting on the players about not whining to the referees. In the above play, Ginobili clearly fouls Raymond Felton and then when Ginobili goes to contest the call, Pop and Ginobili get into a somewhat heated exchange and Pop benches him. On most teams, this incident wouldn’t even register on the Richter scale but on the Spurs it’s at least noteworthy.

I must be blind, i honestly don´t see a foul there, is all ball as far i can tell... are you sure that was a foul? :wtf

Manu did not foul Felton

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
:lol @ the pop vs. manu situation

Pop does not want his players to whine to the referees, he thinks he has the exclusiveness to whine. Players should play through it. Through bad calls. All in all they can't change anything. He as a coach can put some preassuere on the zebras.

And yea - I see no foul there

G-Nob
02-20-2008, 08:51 AM
The only major thing that concerns me this year is the offensive production. Maybe things will change when tony comes back, but there are too many game thoughts featuring poor offensive performances from too many of our key components. I've heard of stretches of shooting slumps but between Fin, Bowen, elson and now damon, we are going to need our reserves more than ever in the playoffs.

m33p0
02-20-2008, 08:53 AM
its great to see that the guys still listen to Pop, letting Pop coach the way he wants to coach.

SAGambler
02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Sure looked clean to me. Every time I've seen it. Can't blame Manu for getting pissed at the call.

urunobili
02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
thanks timvp. i have never seen manu and pop get into such an argument... healthy though... it shows who is the boss and how manu respects that too

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
The only major thing that concerns me this year is the offensive production. Maybe things will change when tony comes back, but there are too many game thoughts featuring poor offensive performances from too many of our key components. I've heard of stretches of shooting slumps but between Fin, Bowen, elson and now damon, we are going to need our reserves more than ever in the playoffs.

100%Tony + 100%Brent = 100% spurs championship offense

Tony can provide any defense to narrow the components (players), and when he kickes the ball outside there is where spurs ball movenment starts with barry being probably the best is Spurs.

Question is, if Tony will be 100% and barry as well. Problem with Tony is that we don't know if that was all ankle and with Barry - he can reinjure.

phyzik
02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
it was definately all ball. I thought that when I saw it live, I thought that in the replay and I still think that after watching the youtube. That being said, Im on Pops side with this. Im getting sick of all the whining. STFU and get back on defense!

ManuTastic
02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Remember when fans were whining that we HAD to get Bonzi Wells for his toughness and rebounding in small ball. Bonzi is reportedly on the trade block in Houston.

From the Spurs point of view Ime>>Bonzi

I would love to pick up Bonzi and get rid of Elson. I don't think Bonner is as bad as Elson, but apparently Pop does, so toss him in there too. I don't think Bonzi is a savior or a guarantee of anything, I just think he's got more potential to help this team than two guys riding the pines.

Southwest Texas Fan
02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Udoka's rebounding in the small ball lineup actually gives me some faith in it. He is a really good rebounder for his height - uses those big shoulders to box out, and has nice timing. I don't worry so much about getting killed on the boards when Ime is in there.

Finley looking comfortable off the bench lately is another nice observation. Indeed he has, and it really helps the team so I hope he can keep it up.

Also, yup, tonight was Pop starting his engine. No more screwing around fellas, it starts NOW. Time to get out the stonecutting tools.

Bring it on.

Maybe it was the angle of the camera but Udoka looked a bit taller than Bowen when standing next to one another.

colargol
02-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I thought the same thing when I watched the youtube.

Same

SenorSpur
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I haven't see Pop and Manu like this before. I think Pop is right in terms of "not whining". You are not gonna change the call, so just keep playing. A technical once in a while is okay.

Thanks for your thoughts! :tu

I'm glad TimVP pointed this out. It's distressing to see one of your team leaders constantly bitching about officiating. Tim is the same way. This constant whining about officiating is a large part of the reason that the Spurs have developed a national reputation as champion whiners.

Manu deserved the ripping Pop game him - and probably deserved it a couple of years ago because I'm afraid this behavior is ingrained in him now. Rarely do you see these guys simply raise their hand and admit a foul or simply walk away. I can understand picking your spots an arguing an occasional, obvious call. But every freaking call? Get over it!

pad300
02-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I like Ime's rebounding but I hate his shot selection. I didn't know he was lacking common sense in this area when he was with Portland. It probably won't improve since he is over 30, but I'm glad he hits the glass.

It looks to me like Pop is pushing him a little to take shots - like he does with Barry (with a relative lack of success) and with Finley (who'll take damn near anything...).

Deimosfobos
02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Manu deserved the ripping Pop game him - and probably deserved it a couple of years ago because I'm afraid this behavior is ingrained in him now. Rarely do you see these guys simply raise their hand and admit a foul or simply walk away. I can understand picking your spots an arguing an occasional, obvious call. But every freaking call? Get over it!

You may have a point, but Pop chosed a really bad moment to do it... thats was not a foul, getting mad at him on that particular moment was not the best thing to do imo.
:nope

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
All game, Pop was getting on the players about not whining to the referees. In the above play, Ginobili clearly fouls Raymond Felton and then when Ginobili goes to contest the call, Pop and Ginobili get into a somewhat heated exchange and Pop benches him. On most teams, this incident wouldn’t even register on the Richter scale but on the Spurs it’s at least noteworthy.

don't know what you're looking at but I though that was a clear block

but I agree with Pop though, this Spurs team has been bitching a lot, and the refs will remember that come playoffs

MoSpur
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
That was a tough game to watch. Manu and Pop's heated exchange was the highlight. Finley looked very good. Ime did a great job and I thought Stoudamire played very good.

Solid D
02-20-2008, 10:22 AM
When I saw Pop shout at Manu, I got the impression he was doing it for the refs to see it, first and foremost. It was needed for all the Spurs to see, as well. Other than a moving screen makeup call on Oberto, the whole feel of the game changed after that, in my view.

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 10:23 AM
You may have a point, but Pop chosed a really bad moment to do it... thats was not a foul, getting mad at him on that particular moment was not the best thing to do imo.
:nope

That was a perfect moment.

Foul or not foul - whistle is whistle

BonnerDynasty
02-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I missed that Manu Pop exchange.

That is pretty badass. Pop is the General. I love it.

carina_gino20
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Bull's eye. :lol

I don't really see the foul though, but it looks similar to the Damon Jones foul by Manu late in Game 4 of the Finals. Still, it's nice to see that Pop won't tolerate incessant whining anymore. And although they had a heated exchange, I'm glad that Manu seemed to get over himself pretty quickly after going to the bench.

BonnerDynasty
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
He needs to go after Duncan next.

Seriously, what is the point of bitching to the refs? They reverse the call what, 5% of the time?

Quit bitching and just play.

Once the refs start killing us in the playoffs to get their darlings through to the Finals, Pop needs to come out and bitch at the press conferences though :drunk :hat

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Pop never bitch on press conference.

He only politely explains the situation to the refs on the court.

SAGambler
02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Spurs just need to go into a game assuming they aren't getting any calls. Go ahead and use it as a motivator to crush the other team.

How many times have we seen Tim get hacked to death trying to get up a shot....and no whisle.

Is this some kind of payback for Joey Crawford getting a dressing down for kicking Tim out over the so called laughing at him incident? Sometimes I wonder. It sure seems the calls are more one sided this year than in past years.

But yeah, the time is now to quit whining to the refs. They aren't going to change the call and they will probably look at you closer for more. Just play through it. Spurs are good enough to offset those calls and non-calls they get, with some stellar defense and good shooting.

SenorSpur
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
He needs to go after Duncan next.

Seriously, what is the point of bitching to the refs? They reverse the call what, 5% of the time?

Quit bitching and just play.

Once the refs start killing us in the playoffs to get their darlings through to the Finals, Pop needs to come out and bitch at the press conferences though :drunk :hat
:toast

Exactly. I've watched the Mavs do this for years and it's troubling to now watch Duncan and Ginobili morph into Shawn Bradley.

Hemotivo
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
When I saw Pop shout at Manu, I got the impression he was doing it for the refs to see it, first and foremost. It was needed for all the Spurs to see, as well. Other than a moving screen makeup call on Oberto, the whole feel of the game changed after that, in my view.
why you are always right?

Solid D
02-20-2008, 12:29 PM
I may not be correct...it is just my perspective on it.

timvp
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure what the people who can't see the foul are looking at. When Manu comes from behind his arm/elbow hits Felton on the head. Any contact with the head is always called a foul. At about the :28 mark of the YouTube, you can pretty clearly see the foul.

It was the right call and a call that refs will make about 98% of the time.

michaelwcho
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
:toast

Exactly. I've watched the Mavs do this for years and it's troubling to now watch Duncan and Ginobili morph into Shawn Bradley.
Be careful what you wish for. Most likely, they bitch because it _works_. They don't reverse the calls, but they do remember it and it may tilt them a little the other way so they don't have to face "the look". Fans and announcers may not like it, but if it works...

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
He bearly touch his head even this is questionable.
Maybe Wade is getting 98% of this kind of "contact" but it's nor regular.

No foul IMO in any rules

Hemotivo
02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I may not be correct...it is just my perspective on it.
again :reading

Solid D
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Actually, I went back and looked at that part of the game again and Oberto's moving screen was just a few seconds prior to the Ginobili foul call. It was a call on a Bowen block that was the only call after that which was questionable. The Spurs, especially Duncan with blocks (3) and dominant rebounding, went on a tear and changed the lead from 7 to 20 after Pop's display. Duncan got away with a couple of fouls too, in the process. The game really did change directions.

jcrod
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
He hit his head, come on its clearly a foul.

Solid D
02-20-2008, 01:37 PM
He hit his head, come on its clearly a foul.

You could see official Marc Davis, who made the foul call, touch the back of his head indicating how he thought Manu had fouled him. I thought Manu got the ball first but there was slight contact with the head. As timvp said...officials call that.

miss paxton
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I can certainly understand why players want to protest bad calls or calls they perceive to be bad, but I assume Pop is trying to remind Ginobili and everyone else that it's his job only to talk to the officials. I guess to me it doesn't matter from that perspective whether the call was good or bad--the lesson is not to react to the refs, even if you as the player are legitimately aggrieved.

polandprzem
02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Good that Manu did not fart, that would blow Feltons head off and that would be flagrant.

Ask timvp in the playoffs, if this shit is a foul, I bet he won't react the same way.

Alamode
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Anyone know specifically what Pop said to Manu? Obviously it was something along the lines of "quit bitching." Just curious what he really said.

Slippy
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
That was a foul. On the front angle from a distance it's easy to miss. On the replays you see Manu's arm/elbow touch the guy's head on the way down.

There's a lot of praise for Pop here but what about Manu for taking it on his chin like teammates should. Many stars wouldn't take to kindly to that kind of treatment. Don't get me wrong i've got no problem with what POP did, just gotta give Manu credit for sitting down calmly with not much reaction. Even our own Horry pouts about when he doesn't agree with POP.

greens
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM

I thought it was a clean block from the replay...It looked to me like he got all ball...

However, the refs during the game were giving easy Technicals to the players...I think Bobcats got two technical in the game. So Manu shouldn't have gone to argue with the officials if they were referring the game like that...

As for the Pop/Manu incident, I honestly don't think it was too bad...Just a few minutes later, Pop put Manu back in the game...then when the game was over, Pop gave him a high five...So if it was that terrible, I'd assume he would have kept him on the bench the remainder of the game...

And I honestly think Pop putting Manu on the bench during that incident was more to cool him down...for his benefit.

But it is interesting to see that lately the Spurs players have been more vocal. For instance, Ime had a recent game when he got kicked out for arguing...

Robert Horry already had two semi-arguments with Pop about things...First when Pop put him on the bench during one game, then during another game when he wasn't playing in the crucial fourth quarter that had the Finley game-tying shot that sent the game to overtime...

I think people forget that there is no such a thing as perfection. The Spurs team is filled with classy players and coaches. But sometimes, disagreements will happen. Nothing wrong with that once in a while.