PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Front Office

Ghost Writer
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
You saw the rivals adding talent and took notice that the Spurs were a little older, a little more banged up.... maybe a little less effective in the frontcourt.

You went out and made a midseason deal to shore up the frontcourt.

It was not a panic move.

The players dealt were not contributing to the current rotation or likely be in the team's future plans.

The first round pick in all likelihood would contribute right away.

Best of all, the Spurs have options with THomas at the end of the year.

Contrary to last year, when the team was generally healthy and seemed to need time to come together, you gave this team a jolt by giving it some much-needed help at a weak spot.

Is acquiring Kurt Thomas a star-studded move?

No.

Is it smart?

Absolutely.

Thank you, front office, for recognizing a need and going out and giving the team a boost without saddling future flexibility, either.

Above all, you've shown this demanding Spurs fan that you are committed to winning now.

:clap

Das Texan
02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Winning now > 2010 or whatever plan.

Ghost Writer
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Winning now > 2010 or whatever plan.
The beauty is the the 2010 Plan is still intact.

whottt
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
The ugly of it is that Kurt Thomas is now the most over-rated player in NBA history.

T Park
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Exactly.

You haven't sacraficed anything in the way of the future or the present, and you still have your ducks in a row in 2 summers.

This trade is great on multiple levels.

z0sa
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
The ugly of it is that Kurt Thomas is now the most over-rated player in NBA history.

hes most definitely not worth the 3 picks that have been traded for him over the last year or so, but i can him contributing on this spurs team as long as he plays hard and hustles on D. the offense will come in time.

edit: also, I'd like to mirror the original poster's sentiments about the FO. All too often they are underestimated, but its moves like these that rally solidify my love of the spurs organization.

Honestly, I knew teams like the Lakers/Suns were gonna give us a run for our money, at least our big men, but if thomas can contribute on defense tim will carry the load on offense.

go spurs!

Brutalis
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
HoopsHype - 2-20-08
[image]

Shortly after trading Brent Barry, Francisco Elson, and a first round pick for Kurt Thomas of the Sonics, San Antonio has made another move.

Kurt Thomas has been traded with another first round pick for forward Ron Artest of the Kings late Wednesday night. More information will be posted when it arrives.

Ghost Writer
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
You can't look at who you are giving or what you gave up in a vacuum.

The Spurs needed a capable frontcourt complement to Duncan (or a star-level player like an Artest) to win their first back-to-back title.

What price tag would you put on that?

I'd say two guys that we're not using now and would not be back next year and a first rounder who would not play is fair.

The Spurs are a team that's built to win now.

T Park
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Kurt Thomas has been traded with another first round pick for forward Ron Artest of the Kings late Wednesday night

Nice try by them, but the salaries don't match.

whottt
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
You can't look at who you are giving or what you gave up in a vacuum.

The Spurs needed a capable frontcourt complement to Duncan (or a star-level player like an Artest) to win their first back-to-back title.

What price tag would you put on that?

I'd say two guys that we're not using now and would not be back next year and a first rounder who would not play is fair.

The Spurs are a team that's built to win now.

I can see the Thomas trade helping us against LA...I don't see it doing anygood against the Suns...our #1 threat. It's especially going to suck if somehow Barry winds up on the Suns.

I liked the Artest trade...I do not like this Thomas trade...I think we could have done better.

Brutalis
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Nice try by them, but the salaries don't match.
You just single handedly ruined any chance on getting a jump out of the clones.

T Park
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
You just single handedly ruined any chance on getting a jump out of the clones.

The clones? :lol

Wheres "romey"

ChuckD
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
You bastard. What have you done with Ghostwriter?

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
HoopsHype - 2-20-08
[image]

Shortly after trading Brent Barry, Francisco Elson, and a first round pick for Kurt Thomas of the Sonics, San Antonio has made another move.

Kurt Thomas has been traded with another first round pick for forward Ron Artest of the Kings late Wednesday night. More information will be posted when it arrives.
Dude, please tell me you're fucking joking.

EDIT: Thanks, TPark. :smokin

Brutalis
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
The clones? :lol

Wheres "romey"
If you add up all the time he has paused between sentences, that airtime cost could have fed 1 million kids.

:donkey

Brutalis
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Dude, please tell me you're fucking joking.

EDIT: Thanks, TPark. :smokin
See TPark, is was going to fucking work.

z0sa
I can see the Thomas trade helping us against LA...I don't see it doing anygood against the Suns...our #1 threat. It's especially going to suck if somehow Barry winds up on the Suns.

I liked the Artest trade...I do not like this Thomas trade...I think we could have done better.

thomas can guard shaq (sad but waaay better than oberto or elson) and tim can be on amare.

thats where it helps us.

SequSpur
GW, the front office would like to say your welcome. :cell

Ghost Writer
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Didn't K. Thomas recently play for the Suns?

I think he'll be just fine against them.

Ghost Writer
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
GW, the front office would like to say your welcome. :cell
Are you connected, Sequ?

SequSpur
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Are you connected, Sequ?

nah bro... it's all good... :fro

peskypesky
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree. Thank you, FO. This is a trade I was hoping for....I love the idea of a Duncan, Thomas front-court in the playoffs.

Solid D
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow. Good post G-Dub.
Robert Horry's feet don't move so fast any more. Watching Robert attempt to sag on the screen/rolls against Cleveland and some of the other teams on this past road trip was difficult to watch. It happens to us all eventually. We still need Rob's contributions but he cannot play big minutes with JUST his IQ and experience.

Welcome Kurt Thomas.

jag
02-20-2008, 11:15 PM

2010 is a myth.

xcoriate
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
2010 will become 2112...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-20-2008, 11:54 PM
There's no time like now, and it's a good move.

Well done FO.

Now if only they could learn to scout US draft talent... :lol

m33p0
02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
:cheer :cheer :cheer :flag: :flag: :flag: :cheer :cheer :cheer

hsxvvd
02-21-2008, 03:22 AM
It does seem like somebody around here is connected, because it's starting to look like everytime a name is mentioned around here, with enough support, it seems to get done.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-21-2008, 03:29 AM
It does seem like somebody around here is connected, because it's starting to look like everytime a name is mentioned around here, with enough support, it seems to get done.

I think you're mistaking cause and effect. I doubt ST causes anything, but people around here know their stuff and can predict the likely outcomes/effects given their knowledge of the Spurs and NBA. ST is a board with above-average NBA-IQ. ;)

SenorSpur
02-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Kudos to the FO.

I've been very critical of them resting on the draft laurels of Parker and Ginobili. But I have to give them credit for pulling off this trade.

After the Spurs win the title, impress us all some more by going out and getting that long-awaited, swingman that we've desparately needed for so long. And bring in Desgana Diop for good measure.

m33p0
02-21-2008, 03:38 AM
the great thing about this trade is that it caused minimal impact in terms of team chemistry but at the same time has a huge potential of working out on the court. add to that, long term plans by the FO are still intact. if thomas doesn't work out as hoped, splitter and mahinmi are still coming next season. and if thomas does work out, one of the two mentioned can be traded to fill a need. all the while, the spurs will still be left with alot to be able to sign a big name free agent in the future.

hsxvvd
02-21-2008, 04:51 AM
I think you're mistaking cause and effect. I doubt ST causes anything, but people around here know their stuff and can predict the likely outcomes/effects given their knowledge of the Spurs and NBA. ST is a board with above-average NBA-IQ. ;)

Well that did cross my mind. With a few exceptions... I won't name names.

spurscenter
02-21-2008, 06:03 AM
i hate giving away 1st rounders we can stockpile in europe. after splitter we are done with euro talent in a way.

its cool trade, props to spurs, I wish we got artest but kings wanted too much.

poor artest.

urunobili
02-21-2008, 06:46 AM
gr8 deal for us! i do think Thomas may be able to help in series aganst: Flakers, Horners, Rocketeers, Mavs and Denver

wildchild
02-21-2008, 07:19 AM
gr8 deal for us! i do think Thomas may be able to help in series aganst: Flakers, Horners, Rocketeers, Mavs and Denver

I'm not sure. Many guys on ST said We need more size we need a start big.
Well Thomas has more size than Elson? no.
yeah Elson's departure isn't a brain drain but Kurt's an other old veteran. Other big who can't run and block.
Anyway, I should prefer trade Elson and Bonner for Kurt and not to lose Brent. It doesn't seem a good move.

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Kudos to the FO.

I've been very critical of them resting on the draft laurels of Parker and Ginobili. But I have to give them credit for pulling off this trade.

After the Spurs win the title, impress us all some more by going out and getting that swingman that we've desparately needed for so long.
There's nothing stopping the Spurs from looking at Artest again this summer.

rascal
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
The Gasol trade put the Lakers ahead of the spurs as the favorite to come out of the west.

The Thomas trade does not improve the spurs as much as the Gasol trade improved the lakers.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-21-2008, 09:59 AM
The most important thing - I believe other teams in the west are now trying to fix the new puzzle created by this KT trade by the Spurs. I'm sure this has disrupted a lot of plans they have made. It's interesting how the Spurs wait until the last possible moment to make the trade. Even if the other teams had a good idea this was a probably trade for the spurs or heard about it, even so, they don't know until it happens so they have to keep their options open to counter it.

batboy
02-21-2008, 10:04 AM
The Gasol trade put the Lakers ahead of the spurs as the favorite to come out of the west.

The Thomas trade does not improve the spurs as much as the Gasol trade improved the lakers.

A few games against the Utah's of this conference and they are going to be sending a kid out to the court to mop up Kobe's pinky.

Where does that leave the Lakers?

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
The most important thing - I believe other teams in the west are now trying to fix the new puzzle created by this KT trade by the Spurs. I'm sure this has disrupted a lot of plans they have made. It's interesting how the Spurs wait until the last possible moment to make the trade. Even if the other teams had a good idea this was a probably trade for the spurs or heard about it, even so, they don't know until it happens so they have to keep their options open to counter it.

The Spurs just made it likely that they will have a big next to TD who can shoot the rock the entire time TD is on the court. Not to mention someone who can board and make his defensive rotations.

ManuTastic
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Good move by the Spurs. I don't think it's as much about taking SA up a notch as it is about fixing the gaping hole that was Elson. Thomas is a smarter and more capable all-around player, and better post defender, than Elson. Thomas is a banger, and that's exactly the kind of complement Tim needs in the paint. Elson was... well, mostly glued to the pine. Come playoff time, I'll feel much better about trotting out a Duncan/Thomas front line than a Duncan/Elson front line.
I'll miss Barry though. In a way, I think the emergence of Udoka made Barry more expendable. Thanks for the great shots, Barry.

timvp
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
The Thomas trade does not improve the spurs as much as the Gasol trade improved the lakers.Shocking insight.

Thanks. :tu

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Of course, Thomas is not Gasol.

But if this is a chess match, the Lakers were playing from behind and the Spurs just answered.

Checkmate.

P.S.

I am not sure that the front office is quite done yet. The swingman spot is still a little thin and I see depth now at the PF and PG spots in particular.

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Who thinks the front office has one more trick up their sleeve?

Question.

nfg3
02-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Good trade and we needed to beef up in the front court due to the recent trades made in the WC. I hated to see Brent go but with his injury taking him out of the rotation it seemed like a sensible thing to do. Damn I hated it when he got injured - he was doing really good for us at the time.

Well Pop honored his request - "get me out of here (Seattle) and Brent contributed to two championship runs so all in all it was a very good signing. I wish him the best. :toast

rascal
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Of course, Thomas is not Gasol.

But if this is a chess match, the Lakers were playing from behind and the Spurs just answered.

Checkmate.

P.S.

I am not sure that the front office is quite done yet. The swingman spot is still a little thin and I see depth now at the PF and PG spots in particular.

Your over rating the contribution of Thomas. Thomas is better than Elson but he is not a big difference maker. There is no checkmate. Gasol put the Lakers in the drivers seat to win the west. He will not be an easy cover for Thomas because he is too quick.

When Thomas is on the bench with 3 quick fouls in the first quarter in many of the playoff games with the Lakers you will be thinking differently. You really think Thomas will get away with any type of contact whatsoever on Gasol or Bynum? I can see Thomas making faces now that there should not have been a foul called on him and this place bitching about the Lakers getting all the calls.

Thomas was about as good as the spurs would be willing to get and good for those here who are thrilled about it but it will be short lived as he will not be a difference maker like Gasol will be in the end.

baseline bum
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty happy the Spurs went out and shored up a pretty significant weakness on their team. I like adding a rebounder like Kurt for that matchup with LA's frontline, and he should get plenty of open shots when Shaq or Amare is too lazy to come out on him against the Sons.

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Your over rating the contribution of Thomas. Thomas is better than Elson but he is not a big difference maker. There is no checkmate. Gasol put the Lakers in the drivers seat to win the west. He will not be an easy cover for Thomas because he is too quick.

When Thomas is on the bench with 3 quick fouls in the first quarter in many of the playoff games with the Lakers you will be thinking differently. You really think Thomas will get away with any type of contact whatsoever on Gasol or Bynum? I can see Thomas making faces now that there should not have been a foul called on him and this place bitching about the Lakers getting all the calls.

Thomas was about as good as the spurs would be willing to get and good for those here who are thrilled about it but it will be short lived as he will not be a difference maker like Gasol will be in the end.
Sure, but wouldn't you say we were a tad better than the Lakers to begin with?

They add Gasol and we answer with Thomas.

It won't be easy.

SenorSpur
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Boy you aint kidding. For anyone that doesn't believe it, log into the Mavs basketball forum sometime.

http://dallasbasketballdotcom.yuku.com/forums/63/t/Mavs-and-NBA-Talk.html

FromWayDowntown
02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm glad that the Spurs made a trade that satisfied those who wanted a deal to shake things up and those who wanted a deal to address a need. Days of spirited debate conclude (apparently) in a deal that seems to make everyone happy -- well maybe everyone other than whottt. :)

Whether this trade puts the Spurs over the top or not remains to be seen, obviously. The need for rebounding help has seemed apparent to me for quite some time and it's hard to find a better source of that help at the price the Spurs were willing to pay than Kurt Thomas. Thomas seems to be a good fit from a character and professionalism standpoint and I'm sure he'll be made to feel at home from day one. I just hope he's more Nazr Mohammed and less Charles Smith.

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Swing one more deal.

Please.

Solid D
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I doubt they have one more deal. If Ludden's statement is true about splitting or sharing the cap savings with Seattle, they may be done....even with Barry being waived.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
I doubt they have one more deal. If Ludden's statement is true about splitting or sharing the cap savings with Seattle, they may be done....even with Barry being waived.

Yeah, if they are indeed under the lux tax threshold after that move and can remain so even after, say, re-signing a bought out Barry then there wouldn't seem to be much of a reason to deal.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I wonder what it would take to land Herrmann.

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
I wonder what it would take to land Herrmann.
Hey!

I like Walter Hermann.

He was fantastic down the stretch last season.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Just wondering if there are any spare parts around the league the Spurs could pick up before the deadline. Of course, if going over the lux tax threshold means giving up $2 mil I could see them not doing any more deals.

rascal
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Sure, but wouldn't you say we were a tad better than the Lakers to begin with?

They add Gasol and we answer with Thomas.

It won't be easy.

Last year the spurs were better but with the emergence of Bynum and the decline of some of the spurs this year it was close.

So not so sure the spurs were much better this year before the trades. But after the trades the Lakers made a big improvement with an all star addition.
The spurs picked up a playable big. The Lakers are still deeper than the spurs after the two trades . There is no checkmate.

It was a good trade for Thomas because they got rid of a weak option and upgraded at a big but I doubt it will be such a big difference maker that this place is getting so worked up over. It was not a major trade where a star was stolen on the cheap but more of a role player type of acquisition.

Solid D
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Kurt Thomas and his rebounding...one more benefit was just realized. Bonzi Wells is now a Hornet and he has killed the Spurs on the boards in playoffs-past.

peskypesky
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Last year the spurs were better but with the emergence of Bynum and the decline of some of the spurs this year it was close.

So not so sure the spurs were much better this year before the trades. But after the trades the Lakers made a big improvement with an all star addition.
The spurs picked up a playable big. The Lakers are still deeper than the spurs after the two trades . There is no checkmate.

It was a good trade for Thomas because they got rid of a weak option and upgraded at a big but I doubt it will be such a big difference maker that this place is getting so worked up over. It was not a major trade where a star was stolen on the cheap but more of a role player type of acquisition.

A very good trade, but you're right, not nearly as good as picking up Gasol for Kwame Brown. I still can't wait to see one of my favorite players (KT) in a Spurs uniform. :clap

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I hear you rascal, but it better than usual, a.k.a. nothing.

CaptainLate
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM

And we're going after Lebron? Even after the trade with the Bulls and Sonics, I don't see the Cavs being improved enough to a point that Lebron would stay. And why not come and get your first 2-3 titles with Duncan, Manu and TP? :elephant

CaptainLate
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Kurt Thomas and his rebounding...one more benefit was just realized. Bonzi Wells is now a Hornet and he has killed the Spurs on the boards in playoffs-past.

And don't forget KT's "deadly mid-range jumper" (Charley Rosen), which is better than Oberto's. Yes, the Bonzi Wells trade is not good (although we have Udoka now). Hornets could be our Golden State. :dramaquee

Saturday's game is huge. We can't let them come in here and beat us (again?) on our home turf. :ihit

CaptainLate
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure....Anyway, I should prefer trade Elson and Bonner for Kurt and not to lose Brent. It doesn't seem a good move.

Why not...when we can get BB back in 30 days?

CaptainLate
02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm glad that the Spurs made a trade that satisfied those who wanted a deal to shake things up and those who wanted a deal to address a need....I just hope he's more Nazr Mohammed and less Charles Smith.

Did you not read Rosen's column? Kurt Thomas will be much better than Nazr, who had a pair of bricks for hands. There really is no comparison. KT gives the Spurs another vital interior defender and rebounder. Here is an extract of the column:

-----------------------------------
San Antonio-Seattle
San Antonio gets: Kurt Thomas
Seattle gets: Brent Barry, Francisco Elson, 2009 first-round pick

Getting Kurt Thomas is a bonanza for the Spurs. Even at the advanced age of 35, he still has enough left of exactly what the Spurs need. He's a rugged big man with great hands, a deadly mid-range jumper, veteran smarts, and the ability to play exceptional low-post defense. Thomas' presence will relieve Tim Duncan of some disadvantageous mano-a-mano defensive matchups while permitting TD to do more of what he does best: provide defensive help from the weak side.

Losing Brent Barry is painless because his 36-year-old body is breaking down and Ime Udoka is younger, paid less, plays defense, can hit treys, and is primed and ready for big-time minutes.

Francisco Elson is a runner and a mid-range shooter whose finesse game never really fit into the Spurs' scheme of things.

Unless the Spurs unexpectedly fall on hard times, their top pick in the 2009 draft won't be particularly valuable.

San Antonio's grade: A+

---------------------------------

romsho
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Who thinks the front office has one more trick up their sleeve?

Question.

Barry coming back would work.