PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Make the Right Deal

Yannis Koutroupis
02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey All,

Here's my article on the Thomas deal. I really like it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7510

Mods - feel free to merge with the Thomas thread if you wish.

Also guys, I'll be blogging courtside from next Thursday's game against the new look Mavericks. I'll pass the link on when Thursday comes.

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Well since you like it, I guess I'll check it out.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I won't approve of this trade until the guy who writes about the Rockets for Hoopsworld tells me to.

Yannis Koutroupis
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I won't approve of this trade until the guy who writes about the Rockets for Hoopsworld tells me to.

I believe you're thinking of Bill Ingram, my editor. Can't say I blame you - Bill really knows his stuff.

some_user86
02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Chump was being sarcastic.

Solid D
02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Yannis, are you sure that the Spurs "were offering the Kings the same package that they ended up giving Seattle for Thomas"....or is that a guess?

cheguevara
02-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Don't be surprised to see Barry return to the Spurs next season, or even this season in case of a buyout.

I knew it

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't like the font.

phyzik
02-21-2008, 12:40 AM
I knew it

Ya, when the rumor for the trade first came about today me and a friend where talking about that. 3 things make it a possibility.

1. Barry cant pass his physical

2. Seattle decided to take him anyway because of expiring conract, he will probably be bought out (see #1 for a reason why).

3. Spurs now have an extra roster spot.

makes perfect sense. Im sure if it happens Mav fans and cuban wll cry like the bitches they are but the reality is no one on the Spurs opened their mouths before the trade.

The trade has been approved by the NBA at this time so if it where to happen now the league doesnt have a leg to stand on. :fro

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Right. How can the league object if there is no proof?

ThomasGranger
02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
And it has already been accepted by the trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense.

some_user86
02-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Yannis, are you sure that the Spurs "were offering the Kings the same package that they ended up giving Seattle for Thomas"....or is that a guess?

I think it's a guess considering Buck Harvey just said that the Spurs never considered trading for Artest.

See: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87715

Yannis Koutroupis
02-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Solid, I wouldn't call it a guess - moreso just an observation from the situation along with conversations from my colleagues. The package they sent for Thomas would have worked for Artest too. Those were two players the Spurs really felt were expendable and were shopping the hardest. Had the Kings said it's a done deal if they throw in Mahinimi or the rights to Splitter would the Spurs have thrown them in, I think so - but the Kings are really hoping for Kleiza and the Spurs don't have that type of player to offer. I think that was the ultimate reason why a deal wasn't done.

ThomasGranger
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Technically speaking, the Spurs do have a promising young player they could have offered in addition to the cap space (two actually), but apparently decided not to make him/them available.

edit: just saw what you posted while I was typing mine.

some_user86
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Solid, I wouldn't call it a guess - moreso just an observation from the situation along with conversations from my colleagues. The package they sent for Thomas would have worked for Artest too. Those were two players the Spurs really felt were expendable and were shopping the hardest. Had the Kings said it's a done deal if they throw in Mahinimi or the rights to Splitter would the Spurs have thrown them in, I think so - but the Kings are really hoping for Kleiza and the Spurs don't have that type of player to offer. I think that was the ultimate reason why a deal wasn't done.

The Spurs say they never considered trading for Ron Artest this season, not even for a moment, but they tried to land Thomas just before the trade deadline in 2004.

From: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022108.01C.buckharvey.en.38c573b.html

T Park
02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
. Had the Kings said it's a done deal if they throw in Mahinimi or the rights to Splitter would the Spurs have thrown them in, I think so

Uh no they wouldn't have.

Manudona
02-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey All,

Here's my article on the Thomas deal. I really like it.

I liked your article Yannis, thanks

Brutalis
02-21-2008, 01:06 AM
spurs going for their 5th title in 9 years?

Supreme_Being
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
I like it.

Yannis Koutroupis
02-21-2008, 01:14 AM
spurs going for their 5th title in 9 years?

The 9 year period I'm referring to in the article is 1999-2008.

Russ
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Ya, when the rumor for the trade first came about today me and a friend where talking about that. 3 things make it a possibility.

1. Barry cant pass his physical

2. Seattle decided to take him anyway because of expiring conract, he will probably be bought out (see #1 for a reason why).

3. Spurs now have an extra roster spot.

makes perfect sense. Im sure if it happens Mav fans and cuban wll cry like the bitches they are but the reality is no one on the Spurs opened their mouths before the trade.

The trade has been approved by the NBA at this time so if it where to happen now the league doesnt have a leg to stand on. :fro

Hmmmm. RC Buford and Sam Presti. PJ and Pop. The Barrys don't bother to find a realtor. Can you say "collusion?" :clap

Yogurt210
02-19-2009, 07:53 PM
KT ftw

Allanon
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
KT was a great move....last year.

gospursgojas
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
what

TDomination
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
was it really necessary to bump this thread?

mabrignani
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
question...why are we talking about a Thomas trade that happened a year ago?