PDA

View Full Version : For people who actually saw the Mavs tonight...

stretch
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Thoughts?

I liked what I saw out of Kidd, especially after just one day of practice. To me, a lot of the team just isn't used to seeing such spot-on passes at perfect times, so it's going to take a good 10-15 games for the team to get used to him, and for the system to start being turned over to be primarily ran through Kidd. They still ran a lot of isolations, and were doing a lot of what they had previously been doing, but I see that changing as Kidd becomes more acclimated to the team (or better yet, the team being more acclimated to Kidd). The way he several times was starting up fast breaks was refreshing to see too. I am very excited to see Kidd back in Big D. And his defense was not bad at all either. A lot of Chris Paul's scoring came when Kidd was not in the game, or off of picks which got him mismatches with guys like Dampier.

And I'm sorry, but the officiating tonight was fucking horrible. Those two fouls called on Dirk close to the end of the half when he clearly hit nothing but ball was ridiculous, only to be followed up with Peja blatantly grabbing Howard's arm on a jumpshot. Then when they called that foul on Howard for barely bumping Peja on the three, which gave them a 4 point play... then not long later, Howard was shooting from the same corner, and someone fell right on top of him, and nothing was called. I was watching the game with a die-hard Laker fan who hates the Mavs with a passion, as well as another Kings fan who was present, and they both agreed that the officiating was fucking bad at times. It didn't lose the game by any means, but some of those calls were complete head-scratchers. I have no clue what the hell those refs saw.

Also... PLEASE, don't ever fucking start Deaven George again. That dude fucked up so many rebounds and defensive assignments, it's not even funny... I say go back to starting Eddie Jones.

Matchman
02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
need another bigman to make the Mavs legit... any big that can rebound and defend
Deaven Geroge needs to be glued to the bench

baseline bum
02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
I saw the boxscore, and all I have to says is:
- 4 rings bitches
- You choked to Golden State
- and Miami
- LOL Kidd sux

Findog
02-21-2008, 12:35 AM
They were clearly not used to each other, and the Hornets are the last team you want to face in that situation. It's going to take some time, and the worst part of it is, this is a much bigger adjustment than the Suns incorporating O'Neal or the Lakers bringing in Gasol. We switched out quarterbacks. This trade probably should've happened a long time ago if this is what we were committed to.

Findog
02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I saw the boxscore, and all I have to says is:
- 4 rings bitches
- You choked to Golden State
- and Miami
- LOL Kidd sux

Every cliche covered. Nice job. :toast

cheguevara
02-21-2008, 12:37 AM
they have a hole in the middle the size of Pamela Anderson's panocha

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Did it have Hepatitis as well?

ElNono
02-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I watched 3 quarters. I thought Dallas did better than expected considering that's the PG we're talking about here. That said, I can't fathom seeing a guy like Barea running the point any kind of minutes in the playoffs. Bass was ok, but still learning the ropes defensively out there.
I need to see some more games before I make up my mind on this team's chances.

DazedAndConfused
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Kidd is clearly an upgrade over Harris, just give them 10-15 games to get a rhythm together. I agree about the need for another C though. Dampier alone doesn't cut it.

Findog
02-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Here's what the Mavs have left:

Home: Bulls, Kings, Rockets, Nets, Knicks, Bobcats, Pacers, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, Sonics, Jazz, Hornets.

Road: Grizzlies, T-Pups, Spurs, Lakers, Jazz, Heat, Nuggets, Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Suns, Blazers, Sonics.

5 back to backs.

14 gimmes. I say we go 12-2 in those.

14 tossups. 7-7 is probably about right.

I'd say we're on line to finish around 54-28. That probably gets us the fifth seed.

Purple & Gold
02-21-2008, 01:13 AM

:lol :lol

RonMexico
02-21-2008, 01:38 AM
I really think Devean George should be the starting point guard. You guys should have traded for Vince Carter and Jason Collins.

Rummpd
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Thoughts?

I liked what I saw out of Kidd, especially after just one day of practice. To me, a lot of the team just isn't used to seeing such spot-on passes at perfect times, so it's going to take a good 10-15 games for the team to get used to him, and for the system to start being turned over to be primarily ran through Kidd. They still ran a lot of isolations, and were doing a lot of what they had previously been doing, but I see that changing as Kidd becomes more acclimated to the team (or better yet, the team being more acclimated to Kidd). The way he several times was starting up fast breaks was refreshing to see too. I am very excited to see Kidd back in Big D. And his defense was not bad at all either. A lot of Chris Paul's scoring came when Kidd was not in the game, or off of picks which got him mismatches with guys like Dampier.

And I'm sorry, but the officiating tonight was fucking horrible. Those two fouls called on Dirk close to the end of the half when he clearly hit nothing but ball was ridiculous, only to be followed up with Peja blatantly grabbing Howard's arm on a jumpshot. Then when they called that foul on Howard for barely bumping Peja on the three, which gave them a 4 point play... then not long later, Howard was shooting from the same corner, and someone fell right on top of him, and nothing was called. I was watching the game with a die-hard Laker fan who hates the Mavs with a passion, as well as another Kings fan who was present, and they both agreed that the officiating was fucking bad at times. It didn't lose the game by any means, but some of those calls were complete head-scratchers. I have no clue what the hell those refs saw.

Also... PLEASE, don't ever fucking start Deaven George again. That dude fucked up so many rebounds and defensive assignments, it's not even funny... I say go back to starting Eddie Jones.

This trade is the Titanic - get used to it. Dumbest trade by a contending team in a long, long time.

baseline bum
02-21-2008, 01:49 AM
This trade is the Titanic - get used to it. Dumbest trade by a contending team in a long, long time.

Since our Charles Smith trade? :lol

z0sa
02-21-2008, 02:38 AM

people shouldnt underestimate the mavs. Kidd, terry, howard, and dirk is a Big 4 that more than competes with the best of em. Their problem now is defense. if they meet the spurs in the playoffs, the places they used to exploit us we'll now exploit them. and is it possible kurt thomas could guard dirk?

stretch
02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
and is it possible kurt thomas could guard dirk?
No.

1Parker1
02-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Mavs defense all season...and last postseason hasn't been where it been in the past since Avery took over. For whatever reason, their defense is back to being soft again which is what is making their decline.

Jkidd has potential, I still think they need a post presence in order to compete with the top 4 teams in the West.

hater
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM

:lmao

mFFL03
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Jo-Ho disappeared again. George was a joke. Damp got hit with a ball. Bass looked decent. Dirk was Dirk. Terry played stop and pop for 85% of the game.

But there were little signs of promise.

What's the point of getting jason kidd if we are just going to run the same isolation Dirk plays for the whole 2nd half? Come on Avery. We are a jump shooting team it's gonna take more than 15 games to break that. By that time we might be in a hole to not make the playoffs.

Taco
02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

:wow :wow
:lol :lol :lol :lol
:rollin

stretch
02-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Jo-Ho disappeared again. George was a joke. Damp got hit with a ball. Bass looked decent. Dirk was Dirk. Terry played stop and pop for 85% of the game.

But there were little signs of promise.

What's the point of getting jason kidd if we are just going to run the same isolation Dirk plays for the whole 2nd half? Come on Avery. We are a jump shooting team it's gonna take more than 15 games to break that. By that time we might be in a hole to not make the playoffs.
Dude, it was his first game here. Give them some time. The offense will improve.

monosylab1k
02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
they can't transform completely after 2 days. it's going to take a little time but they will be much better off. trial by fire against the top team in the West wasn't a great way to start, but we've got a few punching bags to beat up on before San Antonio on Thursday.

monosylab1k
02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
josh howard really needs to get his shit together too. he's got the quickness to slash to the basket all day with Kidd.

josh howard as a jump shooter is a failed bit. it's time for him to remember what got him success in the NBA in the first place.

Shank
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
josh howard really needs to get his shit together too. he's got the quickness to slash to the basket all day with Kidd.

josh howard as a jump shooter is a failed bit. it's time for him to remember what got him success in the NBA in the first place.

2/11 last night with one of those FGs coming on the first play of the game. He's become a black hole on offense. He doesn't pass. He doesn't drive. He takes silly, contested jumpers in awkward positions with the shot clock winding down. Someone needs to get with Howard soon and re-teach him the game of basketball, because it seems like he's forgotten a few things in the past 2 years.

It might be some help to him (and the offense) if they stop letting Dick Breath start every game now. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we saw Dick Breath, Eddie Jones and Juwan Howard all sent packing today. They add little to nothing to this team. Avery likes them because they're veterans, but they're practically worthless.

fitzgerald
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM

You read my mind. He let the Mavs down the most. Damp sucks and we know that. Josh is not stepping up. Avery needs to jump his shit. We know Kidd needs time with the rest of them team but Josh needs to grow up. As for Kidd, he always seems to be near the ball. He was fighting our bigs for rebounds. That is refreshing to see. He does great at anticipating the ball and had several steals. He also does a great job of stripping the bigs on the defensive side. I saw many positives. Kudos to the Spurs on getting Kurt Thomas. He is someone I wanted.

monosylab1k
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
It might be some help to him (and the offense) if they stop letting Dick Breath start every game now. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we saw Dick Breath, Eddie Jones and Juwan Howard all sent packing today.
I agree. I actually don't mind having Eddie on the team, but I think we get an idea very early on if we're gonna get something out of him or not. If it's obvious that he's gonna give us a bag, then don't play him anymore. But at least there's times where he can play a little defense and hit a corner three every now and then.

playing Dick Breath is a complete waste of time. how does someone with no discernible basketball skills make it this long in the NBA? he's so useless that he'd be riding the bench for the early-90's Mavs...so why is he starting on a Mavs team with championship hopes?

1Parker1
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Question; is it on purpose that the Mavs always seem intent on getting Howard off to a fast start in the 1st/2nd quarter of games and then revert to Dirk and letting him creating in the 2nd half? Because I've noticed there's a significant trail off in Howard from the 1st half to the 2nd half of games. I've seen mavs games where it looks like Howard is on pace for something like 40 points. Then you look at the boxscore in the 2nd half and he's scored like 5 points the 2nd half.

monosylab1k
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Question; is it on purpose that the Mavs always seem intent on getting Howard off to a fast start in the 1st/2nd quarter of games and then revert to Dirk and letting him creating in the 2nd half? Because I've noticed there's a significant trail off in Howard from the 1st half to the 2nd half of games. I've seen mavs games where it looks like Howard is on pace for something like 40 points. Then you look at the boxscore in the 2nd half and he's scored like 5 points the 2nd half.
that's how it's been for a few years now.

i think the big thing is that howard quit slashing and is strictly a jump shooter. so early in games alot of those shots go down, but later in games he's tired and doesn't get as much elevation and doesn't adjust his game accordingly.

Findog
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Josh's back is hurting him, might be part of the reason he's avoiding taking it to the basket to avoid contact.

RonMexico
02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

What's that? Missing two games to see the birth of a child that wasn't his? Or getting braces?

Shank
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
What's that? Missing two games to see the birth of a child that wasn't his? Or getting braces?

Got Milk ads, obviously.

fitzgerald
02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I would like to ask a question about Josh. Has he reached his peak? Will he get better?

RonMexico
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I would like to ask a question about Josh. Has he reached his peak? Will he get better?

I think his ego has outpaced his talent.

mattb_25
02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Even though we lost I saw a lot of great things. First of all though, it was nice to see us play decent for 3 quarters against NO with what all the mavs has been through the past week.

I think they team as a whole played pretty sloppy except dirk. Our defense looked completely confused and the offense wasn't too bad, but it just seemed like they didnt have enough time to practice together. Everyone seems to be hating on Kidd for CP going crazy in that game, but if you watch the highlights of CP in the 3rd, you'll notice that damp was on him on most of those plays. Not only that but devin harris couldnt stop CP either.. :lol

I also liked the way Dirk played. I dont think I've seen him play like this in a longgggggg time so that was a great thing to see. I still feel like this will work, we just have to give it time for everyone adjust. :elephant :reading :elephant

stretch
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Even though we lost I saw a lot of great things. First of all though, it was nice to see us play decent for 3 quarters against NO with what all the mavs has been through the past week.

I think they team as a whole played pretty sloppy except dirk. Our defense looked completely confused and the offense wasn't too bad, but it just seemed like they didnt have enough time to practice together. Everyone seems to be hating on Kidd for CP going crazy in that game, but if you watch the highlights of CP in the 3rd, you'll notice that damp was on him on most of those plays. Not only that but devin harris couldnt stop CP either.. :lol

I also liked the way Dirk played. I dont think I've seen him play like this in a longgggggg time so that was a great thing to see. I still feel like this will work, we just have to give it time for everyone adjust. :elephant :reading :elephant
Dirk definitely seemed more upbeat and rejuvinated, attacking more and working at drawing fouls.

endrity
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
It was 2006 vintage Dirk. He was posting up David West for god's sake!!!

GaryJohnston
02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
they can't transform completely after 2 days. it's going to take a little time but they will be much better off. trial by fire against the top team in the West wasn't a great way to start, but we've got a few punching bags to beat up on before San Antonio on Thursday.

SA will kill Dallas now...

Holmes_Fans
02-21-2008, 10:15 PM

He better come around within the next few weeks. A bruised back shouldn't keep you down for a month especially having a full week without traveling or games.

mavsfan1000
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
SA will kill Dallas now...
:depressed

icem
02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
mavs better get it together fast, they aren't that far from the 9th spot.

dg7md
02-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Dallas will be getting a lot more turnovers on their stat sheet though, that is for sure.

monosylab1k
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
mavs better get it together fast, they aren't that far from the 9th spot.
not far from the 1 spot either.

Shank
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Do the Spursheep ever think for themselves or will we continue to see posts about "Spurs will kill Dallas now" and "Parker will own Kidd now that Devin and Diop are gone"?

SAGambler
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Do the Spursheep ever think for themselves or will we continue to see posts about "Spurs will kill Dallas now" and "Parker will own Kidd now that Devin and Diop are gone"?

Well, Parker probably will own Kidd. He has on several occasions in the past, and since Kidd is older and slower, I don't see anything that will change that. Plus Duncan should have Damp on the bench early in foul trouble and you have lost any help from Diop there. Plus I suspect we will see if Thomas can handle Dirk pretty well. Should be for an interesting game. Especially if Kidd keeps having more turnovers than assists.

hater
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Kidd was so mad after NO game, that he beat up his neighbor's wife.

stretch
02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Plus I suspect we will see if Thomas can handle Dirk pretty well.

He won't. Never has, never will. Too slow and too short.

Xylus
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Dirk is not the kind of guy Thomas should be guarding.

stretch
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Kidd was so mad after NO game, that he beat up his neighbor's wife.
Alright, the joke is old, shitty, and stale, like Tony Parker's rap lines.

hater
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I agree about Thomas, his ass would get lit up if he guarded Dirk.