PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have Diop or K. Thomas?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm happy with the trade, but I think Barry's importance to the offensive flow and ball movement of the team will be missed more than people may realize.

However, I know a decent number of Spurs fans wanted Diop. I don't even know if Diop was a possibility to be back on the trade block so quickly, but I was curious as to whom you guys would rather have.

I'd go with K. Thomas.

peskypesky
02-21-2008, 02:45 AM
I love the Thomas trade, but Diop would be nice too. Especially now that the West got big. I'll take Thomas, though. Tons of experience, plays with heart and balls.

K-State Spur
02-21-2008, 02:47 AM
diop gives you some things thomas doesn't. he moves better laterally and his shot blocking is more likely to protect the lane. he's not (typically) as good defending the entry pass or on-ball defense in the post as thomas - although he certainly has had moments where that was closer to being true.

also, with diop, i think there would be some questions as to how quickly he could pick up the team defense in 3 months. now, that may not have proven to be the case, but i don't think anybody doubts that thomas will hit the ground running, or close to it, once he arrives.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Spurs do have a trade exception

mavsfan1000
02-21-2008, 02:48 AM
I would rather have Diop. He helps the team defense while Kurt Thomas is mainly just a post up defender. Both would help Dallas right now though.

SenorSpur
02-21-2008, 02:52 AM
For the remainder of this season - Thomas. STarting next season, Diop.

Hell, I'm gonna get greedy and hope the Spurs can somehow enter the season with both on their opening day roster.

z0sa
02-21-2008, 02:56 AM
This Thomas trade has me very excited. I personally prefer Thomas right now as he is better offensively and as said earlier, hes probably going to hit the ground running. His interior defense is MUCH needed and his ability to open up the floor on offense, something we really havent had since DRob retired, will finally give Tim some more room on offense to work.

Champs in 08 :smokin

m33p0
02-21-2008, 02:57 AM
kurt thomas is a definite upgrade to elson who appear to be brain dead. elson would have been really useful against tall and agile big men like garnett. thomas, on the other hand, will free up duncan from guarding the low post against the likes of bynum and shaq leaving duncan to roam around.

i don't know about the rest of you but i for one will miss barry.

Xylus
02-21-2008, 03:02 AM
This is fucking retarded. If you're looking to win this season, Kurt Thomas is a much more valuable addition than Diop. Trust me.

Princess Pimp
02-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Diop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas

anakha
02-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Diop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas

In terms of Louis's troll accounts -

Fast Dunk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Princess Pimp

Props on the internet crossdressing, though.

urunobili
02-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Thomas

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2008, 07:27 AM
how about diop or brown?

wildchild
02-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm happy with the trade, but I think Barry's importance to the offensive flow and ball movement of the team will be missed more than people may realize.

However, I know a decent number of Spurs fans wanted Diop. I don't even know if Diop was a possibility to be back on the trade block so quickly, but I was curious as to whom you guys would rather have.

I'd go with K. Thomas.

well, I don't glad with Brent in other team. We'll miss his 3's and his play with Tony and Manu.
maybe Elson and Bonner for Kurt or Diop, but NOT Barry. Sorry but FO disappointed me by not keep Barry. :depressed
Bring Brent!

Texas_Ranger
02-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Thomas

T Park
02-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Kurt Thomas.

pad300
02-21-2008, 10:51 AM
diop gives you some things thomas doesn't. he moves better laterally and his shot blocking is more likely to protect the lane. he's not (typically) as good defending the entry pass or on-ball defense in the post as thomas - although he certainly has had moments where that was closer to being true.

also, with diop, i think there would be some questions as to how quickly he could pick up the team defense in 3 months. now, that may not have proven to be the case, but i don't think anybody doubts that thomas will hit the ground running, or close to it, once he arrives.

My own preference would have been Diop. I think his mobility (as compared to Thomas), and shotblocking would be very useful. I am uncertain if we can put a Duncan/Thomas line-up out against Bynum/Gasol and not have significant trouble when Gasol pulls out to mid-range...Also, getting would not have cost us Barry. (Although if speculation about Barry pulling a Stackhouse is correct, Thomas won't cost us Barry either...).

In the longer term, I would rather have the option of re-signing Diop using Bird rights vs. re-signing Thomas with Bird Rights.

Hell, I'm gonna get greedy and hope the Spurs can somehow enter the season with both on their opening day roster.

This is exceedingly unlikely. I can't see us carrying 7 bigs next year. We are committed to 4.

Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi

We are (if I understand the contracts correctly) effectively locked into bringing over Splitter. (5)

We will have 2 rookie/close to rookie big men (Mahinmi, Splitter). I expect the FO to sign another veteran big. Unless Kurt really doesn't fit, I would expect it to be Kurt Thomas, simply because we hold his Bird Rights, and can therefore use these to spend money outside of the MLE and LLE, freeing those up to help fill the other holes in the roster.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
The local sports talk in Dallas was abuzz with Kurt Thomas talk as the replacement for Diop, right up to the moment the Spurs Sonics trade was announced. The Thomas acquisition was worth it just for the end of the Elson discussions; the laugh at GAC was just a bonus.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm happy with the trade.
:wow

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Diop is a better help shotblocker but has no offensive game.

Thomas is more a man-up post defender, but has a nice mid-range jumper and good hands around the basket.

I'd like to see them mashed together into one perfect player and served up on a platter of beer-battered fries...

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Considering that Thomas can hit from more than 8 feet out and has the higher BBall IQ I'd take Thomas.

Diop would be an ok option moving forward.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
:wow

:lmao :lmao

Obstructed_View +1