PDA

View Full Version : Todays trivia

whottt
02-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Who was guarding Tim Duncan when he won his first finals MVP?

Hint: Spursfans suffer under a mass delusion that he

A. can guard Tim Duncan effectively
B. can guard Shaquille O'Neal effectively
C. can guard Amare Stoudamire effectively :lmao
D. has at some point made some sort of difference to some team somewhere in terms of winning a championship or even getting them over some kind of hump.
E. puts up substantially better numbers per 48 then Francisco Elson(even on teams where he is expected to crash the offensive boards, something he won't be doing in SA)
F. Is in anyway worth a first round pick at this stage of his career. Being 35 injury prone etc.

Solid D
02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
With Ewing out and Grandma missing his extra "-ma", Thomas and Camby had their hands full with the Twin Towers. Kurt did what he could on Timmy then, just like he has over the years, but Tim Duncan is - let's face it - a hard guard.

If you can't beat em, join em. Next.

whottt
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
With Ewing out and Grandma missing his extra "-ma", Thomas and Camby had their hands full with the Twin Towers. Kurt did what he could on Timmy then, just like he has over the years, but Tim Duncan is - let's face it - a hard guard.

If you can't beat em, join em. Next.

Well hell...if he can give up a finals MVP to a 20 year old Duncan...he can damn sure help us beat the Suns + Shaq.

Your point is proven.

I'm sold...and now filled with confidence. Thanks :tu

KT:

Proven Shaq defender
Proven Duncan defender

timvp
02-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Is this the same Finals MVP that you claim David Robinson deserved more than Duncan? :stirpot:

And yeah, if Barry returns and the trade turns out to be basically Thomas and Stoudamire (getting under the lux tax) for a first round pick, that's a deal that a "win now" team has to do.

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Chris Dudley?

whottt
02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
And if Barry winds up on the Suns as well, we'll have traded a first round pick to ensure the Suns win a title.

I'll be calling for Isiah Thomas to be named GM if that happens.

QFT

You guys better hope Barry has more character than ya'll have been saying he has for the last 3 years...just because he told Pop he'd do it doesn't mean he won't change his mind...

And laugh about his performance against his old teams all you want...but just know that he tends to play well against teams with Superstar bigmen on them.....and we'll have our hands full defending the Suns anyway. He'll actually make them a better offensive team. Plus he knows our shit.

Solid D
02-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm sold...and now filled with confidence. Thanks

That was easy. :)

At least you don't think he can "stop" Shaq. That's delusional. "Help" the Spurs "beat the Suns + Shaq" or Dirk and the Mavs or Gasol/Odom and the Lakers is more like it.

whottt
02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
That was easy. :)

At least you don't think he can "stop" Shaq. That's delusional. "Help" the Spurs "beat the Suns + Shaq" or Dirk and the Mavs or Gasol/Odom and the Lakers is more like it.

Oh yeah...he really helped the Suns beat the Mavs in 06 didn't he...forgot to add that to the list of KT's greatest playoff moments.

Muchos Gracias...

Solid D
02-21-2008, 09:05 AM
If Brent is waived in March (very possible), the pain will ease.

I'll take Kurt Thomas over Elson 10 out of 10 times, unless I'm running team windsprints.

whottt
02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I think you guys underestimate the snake that is Steve Kerr by the way...he's speaks Barry's language...pesky whiteboy...he's going to be telling Brent what he wants to hear.....uptempo, passing...transition. You won't get benched for not playing D...

Funny thing is...Brent was good enough once upon a time that he actually drew Bruce Bowen's D in a series...he won't be drawing Bruce now...and not necessarily because he's a worse player now...

And you know...I bet he might be a better defender now than he was before playing for the Spurs. He actually might be a defensive asset to them...comparitively. Besides....how hard is it to guard Bruce Bowen?

It'll be interesting to see if Pop doubles off him...because Barry punishes teams that double off him, which is why he never gets doubled off of...and only about 2 Spursfans have ever noticed this.

whottt
02-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Hell...you know?

I think even I could have given up a finals MVP to a 20 year old Duncan...yes...even me. I hope I don't come off ass arrogant...but I'm almost certain I could have done that as well as Kurt Thomas.

Hmmm....I maybe should have posted less and gotten owned on the basketball court more...

whottt
02-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Threads like this always have a way of separating the men from the boys :smokin

I know...I know...I'm just not saying what you guys want to hear right now. It's a talent.......

timvp
02-21-2008, 09:37 AM
So Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen suck? Great thread.

Oh and you still didn't answer my David Robinson question.

whottt
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
So Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen suck?

Link?

Oh and you still didn't answer my David Robinson question.

Well let's see...Drob had primarily the guy that went on to win a DPOY award on him...Duncan had Kurt Thomas....and Latrell Spreewell and Allan Houston were the reasons the Knicks were A. in the finals and B. didn't get swept.

polandprzem
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I remember Kurt Thomas eyes. Damn he looked like he ate all adrenaline candies

polandprzem
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Back then ofcourse ;)

Spurminator
02-21-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm not concerned with stopping Amare/Shaq, Boozer, etc. I'm concerned about getting a friggin rebound after their teammates miss.

timvp
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Link?Attempting to use Tim Duncan as some sort of evidence that Kurt Thomas sucks is a laughable avenue to navigate this thread into. Who the hell would have been able to defend 1999 Tim Duncan on the low block? Especially when Van Gundy refused to send double teams for much of the series.

I don't know a defender in history who 1999 Tim Duncan wouldn't have lit up. His post moves that year were perhaps the best in NBA history. And Thomas was basically a rookie that year after injuries derailed the first three years of his career.

Well let's see...Drob had primarily the guy that went on to win a DPOY award on him...Duncan had Kurt Thomas....and Latrell Spreewell and Allan Houston were the reasons the Knicks were A. in the finals and B. didn't get swept.Kurt Thomas is about 500000000000000000000000 times better of a post defender than Marcus Camby. How often did Camby guard Duncan in the playoffs this past year? I doubt he was on him for more than five possessions. Camby is a weakside shotblocker and rebounder ... that's about it. As a post defender, he's not much more useful than Michael Finley.

And yeah, I like David Robinson too but to pretend he was better than Duncan even in 1999 is pretty laughable. I'd say 1999 David Robinson was better than Ginobili or Parker is currently but Duncan is a whole 'nother beast.

batboy
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Kurt Thomas is about 500000000000000000000000 times better of a post defender than Marcus Camby. How often did Camby guard Duncan in the playoffs this past year? I doubt he was on him for more than five possessions. Camby is a weakside shotblocker and rebounder ... that's about it. As a post defender, he's not much more useful than Michael Finley.

Signed, signed, signed, motherfucking signed.

Camby is ridiculously overrated as a defender, but he pulls down defensive "stats," which are, of course, a joke.

KT was clutch on Tim in 2007

lest we forget

pad300
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I think you guys underestimate the snake that is Steve Kerr by the way...he's speaks Barry's language...pesky whiteboy...he's going to be telling Brent what he wants to hear.....uptempo, passing...transition. You won't get benched for not playing D...

Funny thing is...Brent was good enough once upon a time that he actually drew Bruce Bowen's D in a series...he won't be drawing Bruce now...and not necessarily because he's a worse player now...

And you know...I bet he might be a better defender now than he was before playing for the Spurs. He actually might be a defensive asset to them...comparitively. Besides....how hard is it to guard Bruce Bowen?

It'll be interesting to see if Pop doubles off him...because Barry punishes teams that double off him, which is why he never gets doubled off of...and only about 2 Spursfans have ever noticed this.

Whott - Barry might go Suns, but that ain't gonna help them against us (assuming we're healthy, if Parker's gimped, we ain't going nowhere nohow...). They can put 1 competent perimeter defender on the floor - Raja Bell. Adding Barry will not fix that problem. Look at our O vs. their D.

Duncan
Thomas/Oberto
Bowen
Manu
Parker

vs

Shaq
Amare
Hill
Bell
Nash

In the post
Duncan can't be handled 1 on 1 by anybody (on that team); they have to double team. Either Kurt Thomas or Oberto will make you pay if you cheat off of them...

On the perimeter. We have 2 guys (Parker, Manu) who can pick & roll and slash to the basket. Neither Hill nor Nash can stay with either Parker or Manu... Bell can take one of them. But the other one is going to have a field day. Neither Amare nor current Shaq is a good enough help-side shotblocker to avoid getting into foul trouble.

They can't defend the post, they can't defend the perimeter. Barry isn't enough of a defensive upgrade over Hill to fix this. They are in trouble against us. Hell, they Lakers hung 130 on them. And they only have 1 bigtime slasher (Kobe, who got 41!!).

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Attempting to use Tim Duncan as some sort of evidence that Kurt Thomas sucks is a laughable avenue to navigate this thread into. Who the hell would have been able to defend 1999 Tim Duncan on the low block? Especially when Van Gundy refused to send double teams for much of the series.

Would not it follow that DRob's # should be unretired because of the 1995 WCF?

batboy
02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Would not it follow that DRob's # should be unretired because of the 1995 WCF?

I haven't seen an MVP owned in the playoffs like that since...

help me out here Shank.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
maybe the Nuggets can snap up Barry :lol

batboy
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
maybe the Nuggets can snap up Barry :lol

Nu... Nug.... Nugg... Nuggets.

Nuggets!

The Denver Nuggets!

You guys still in the West?

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
yeh, thats why they are 33-20 and still in 8th :lol The East would be so nice for them :smokin

whottt
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Attempting to use Tim Duncan as some sort of evidence that Kurt Thomas sucks is a laughable avenue to navigate this thread into. Who the hell would have been able to defend 1999 Tim Duncan on the low block? Especially when Van Gundy refused to send double teams for much of the series.

Um...you just tell me who and when Kurt Thomas has stopped anyone adequately...since we just gave up a number one pick for him.

I don't know a defender in history who 1999 Tim Duncan wouldn't have lit up. His post moves that year were perhaps the best in NBA history.

Yeah...I remember thinking that when he got held to 5 points...

Best in NBA history.

If only Drob had ever been held to 5 points...when he had a former MVP besides him...much less Antoine Carr...then maybe timvp would consider him great.

And Thomas was basically a rookie that year after injuries derailed the first three years of his career.

Injuries are always a plus eh?

You sure did use a lot of words to say he stopped Duncan...and you still fail.

Kurt Thomas is about 500000000000000000000000 times better of a post defender than Marcus Camby.

So you're saying you'd rather have Kurt Thomas than Marcus Camby?

How often did Camby guard Duncan in the playoffs this past year? I doubt he was on him for more than five possessions. Camby is a weakside shotblocker and rebounder ... that's about it. As a post defender, he's not much more useful than Michael Finley.

Well Gee...maybe we could have gotten Camby for a second round pick seeing as how he sucks...

Since we didn't get a guy who could stop the guys we just got a guy to stop...and paid a first round pick to do it...t'would seem to have been the smarter move.

And yeah, I like David Robinson too but to pretend he was better than Duncan even in 1999 is pretty laughable.

Drobvp...you surprise me with that take.

I'd say 1999 David Robinson was better than Ginobili or Parker is currently but Duncan is a whole 'nother beast.

Yeah...the get held to 5 points beast.

Hate to break it to you...but the best team we played kicked Duncan's ass...worse than Drob ever got his ass kicked by better teams...without having an MVP sidekick...and the Knicks were possibly the worst team to ever make the Finals...if you don't think Drob could have lit their frontline up...then you clearly never saw David Robinson play.

whottt
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
tapping fingers on desk...

timvp
02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Um...you just tell me who and when Kurt Thomas has stopped anyone adequately...since we just gave up a number one pick for him. The Spurs give up first rounders to save money. They did that again.

And yeah, Kurt Thomas is a good post defender. If you don't believe me or haven't seen it, check in over the course of the season.

Yeah...I remember thinking that when he got held to 5 points...

Best in NBA history.

If only Drob had ever been held to 5 points...when he had a former MVP besides him...much less Antoine Carr...then maybe timvp would consider him great. I assume you are talking about Spurs vs. Portland game three. In case you forgot, Duncan was in foul trouble and by the time he was ready to play, the Spurs were blowing out the Blazers.

But yeah, go ahead with your smear job of Tim Duncan. And good luck with that.

You sure did use a lot of words to say he stopped Duncan...and you still fail. Want to name some post defenders who could routinely shut down Duncan? Name the player and let's go get him. I want the Duncan stopper on my team.

So you're saying you'd rather have Kurt Thomas than Marcus Camby? Can you read? I said Thomas > Camby as a post defender. You tried to make some crack induced point that the Knicks put their best post defender on Robinson, which was simply not the case.

Well Gee...maybe we could have gotten Camby for a second round pick seeing as how he sucks...:dramaquee

Since we didn't get a guy who could stop the guys we just got a guy to stop...and paid a first round pick to do it...t'would seem to have been the smarter move. Still waiting for you to name Duncan stoppers and Shaq stoppers who were available on the open market. Once you get the list of players who can stop Duncan and Shaq, email Pop ASAP. Those players need to be on the Spurs.

Yeah...the get held to 5 points beast.
Tim Duncan sucks.

Good call :tu

Hate to break it to you...but the best team we played kicked Duncan's ass...worse than Drob ever got his ass kicked by better teams...without having an MVP sidekick...and the Knicks were possibly the worst team to ever make the Finals...if you don't think Drob could have lit their frontline up...then you clearly never saw David Robinson play.Yeah, Duncan got his azz kicked by a team the Spurs swept. Another great call :rolleyes

Duncan was the best player on the team in the first two games of that series ... also known as the only two games of that series that were competitive. After Elliott hit his shot, the Blazers rolled over and died.

I usually appreciate your Robinson homerness but trashing Duncan to prop up Robinson is even lame for you.

whottt
02-21-2008, 11:00 AM
So in summary...

Kurt Thomas can stop Shaq, just like he stopped Duncan.

timvp
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
ROFL. That's all you got?

whottt
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I got this too...

Tim Duncan is so good he can blow teams out scoring only 5 points, unlike David Robinson, who couldn't even have done that with AJ as his PG

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
the Spurs traded my heartthrob and I'm about to go emo.....

timvp
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
whottt gets destroyed and comes back with unfunny one liners.

Typical.