PDA

View Full Version : Artest to Suns?

Ghost Writer
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeTalk&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_ch ad%26page%3dTradeTalk

Sacramento Kings
Will the Kings move Ron Artest before the trade deadline? That was a huge topic of discussion among GMs on Wednesday. The Spurs pulled out of the hunt when they traded for Kurt Thomas. The Nuggets are still in with an offer of Eduardo Najera and a first round pick, but up to now they have refused to include Linas Kleiza in the deal.

The dark horse in the Artest discussions may be the Suns. According to two league sources, the Suns have some interest in Artest. The team feels like they need to replace Shawn Marion's perimeter defense, and Artest would fit the bill. His ability to guard four positions makes him coveted, despite the concerns about his personality.

The Suns have a trade exception (which they acquired in the trade of Kurt Thomas to Seattle) which would allow Phoenix to acquire Artest without including other players in the deal. To make it happen, the Suns would likely have to include the first-round pick they acquired from Atlanta.

That's a high price to pay for Artest, for several reasons.

One, he has an early termination option at the end of this season, which allows him to become an unrestricted free agent. The Suns could lose him for nothing this summer.

Two, adding Artest to the payroll would be expensive. The Suns are already on course to pay the luxury tax -- so they'd have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty on Artest.

Three, he's extremely unpredictable. The Suns' chemistry is already a question mark with the arrival of Shaquille O'Neal. How would they work Artest into the picture?

Xylus
02-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't see it happening, for those three reasons above. That's too bad, too, since he fills every imaginable need we have--rebounding, perimeter defense, an extra 3-point shooter, toughness... fuck.

hater
02-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Please make it happen

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I think you do it if you're Phoenix. The O'Neal trade was clearly a move to win a title during the Nash era, as it were. That pick could end up being someone very nice, but hey, maybe they help you win 35 games in 2011-12. I think the Suns' D was weakened with Marion leaving. Considering that you wouldn't have to give up any players, why not?

Xylus
02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't mind including that first-round pick, since I think it's likely that Atlanta makes the playoffs. Even if they didn't, we'd still managed to get fucked over somehow: it would end up being a high pick, or Sarver would trade it for cash, etc.

Spurminator
02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Dave (Indy): After watching Kobe scorch the Suns for 41, do the Suns realize they need a lock down defender (Artest?). If so, what would it take?

Chad Ford: (1:13 PM ET ) I've been told that they have interest in Artest ... though I can't confirm that interest has turned into serious trade talk. They've obviously been out there pursuing cheaper, less combustible options. They have a big trade exception to work with and the expiring contract of Eric Piatkowski. Quentin Ross is a name that has come up lately. Ditto for Mickael Gelebale. Obviously a long athletic swing man who can play lock down defense is a priority. Ditto for a backup point guard. I'm not sure I risk Artest if I'm the Suns ... but then again ... if he behaves ... you'd have to love the Suns chances int he West.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Let's see, the Suns dump Thomas to avoid taking the luxury tax for him. Now they are going to take on pretty much the same deal and pay the tax for Artest?

Nobody ever answered me when I asked if Sarver thought Artest was worth the $7.8 million tax hit for a three-month rental.

Does he?

Xylus
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Let's see, the Suns dump Thomas to avoid taking the luxury tax for him. Now they are going to take on pretty much the same deal and pay the tax for Artest?

Nobody ever answered me when I asked if Sarver thought Artest was worth the $7.8 million tax hit for a three-month rental.

Does he?
I very much doubt it.

RonMexico
02-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Does he?

I don't know if Sarver does. Personally, I think so - because he can opt out and might not cause that many chemistry issues in a short time.

Then again, how will D'Antoni ever play more than 7 guys? The situation would soon turn into multiple deaths outside strip clubs in Phoenix.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Nuggets-Kings talk have been revived........... :smokin

SenorSpur
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Desparation makes GMs do very strange things - especially when you're the Suns.

Must have been a blistering realization for Kerr and Sarver to know that you're married to Shaq for the next 2 years @ $20mil per. Yet the interior D, pick n roll D and overall defense looks as shoddy as it has all year.

Good luck

atxrocker
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
i only hope the kings FO makes the best move available to move Artest.

RonMexico
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Artest throwing a towel in D'Antoni's face would be classic.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Kings could get a solid 1st round pick today with such a trade. Sure, maybe the Knicks end up offering some kind of sign and trade deal in the summer, but if they like him that much why not acquire him now? This is the last time the Kings can make a decision on Artest with him being a King. He could always choose to walk in the summer or even sign a deal for the MLE. A mid-teens pick for Artest is pretty good all things considered.

baseline bum
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Artest to Phx would be scary.

Xylus
02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
That would create a starting lineup of

Nash
Bell
Artest
Amare
Shaq

I'm all for this deal. Fuck you, Sarver, just get it done.

urunobili
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Bad trade for the suns.. scary one if the Nuggets get him

Sec24Row7
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeTalk&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_ch ad%26page%3dTradeTalk

Sacramento Kings
Will the Kings move Ron Artest before the trade deadline? That was a huge topic of discussion among GMs on Wednesday. The Spurs pulled out of the hunt when they traded for Kurt Thomas. The Nuggets are still in with an offer of Eduardo Najera and a first round pick, but up to now they have refused to include Linas Kleiza in the deal.

The dark horse in the Artest discussions may be the Suns. According to two league sources, the Suns have some interest in Artest. The team feels like they need to replace Shawn Marion's perimeter defense, and Artest would fit the bill. His ability to guard four positions makes him coveted, despite the concerns about his personality.

The Suns have a trade exception (which they acquired in the trade of Kurt Thomas to Seattle) which would allow Phoenix to acquire Artest without including other players in the deal. To make it happen, the Suns would likely have to include the first-round pick they acquired from Atlanta.

That's a high price to pay for Artest, for several reasons.

One, he has an early termination option at the end of this season, which allows him to become an unrestricted free agent. The Suns could lose him for nothing this summer.

Two, adding Artest to the payroll would be expensive. The Suns are already on course to pay the luxury tax -- so they'd have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty on Artest.

Three, he's extremely unpredictable. The Suns' chemistry is already a question mark with the arrival of Shaquille O'Neal. How would they work Artest into the picture?
:lol :lol :lmao :lmao :lmao