PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry back to Spurs?

ancestron
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
This keeps getting thrown around, is this a SERIOUS possibility? Or just wishful thinking?

Budkin
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes, it is a serious possibility. Will it happen? Who knows but I'm guessing it will.

ednobli2
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Don't say anything or the league will block it because we opened our stackhouse like mouths.

HAHAHAHA

thispego
Sssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

fyatuk
It's not out of the realm of possibility. The Sonics are obviously in a cost cutting mode, so they may choose to waive/buyout people down to the minimum 13 man roster.

If so Barry would have to wait 30 days and then could sign with the Spurs. Depends on if he wants to come back to the Spurs enough to turn down other offers.

timvp
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Who is Brent Barry?

:hat

bigdog
02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
close this thread please, it's garbage.

sure its a possibility, but the reality of it is that it will probably not happen. after what Stackhouse said in the Nets-Mavs trade, I don't think the NBA would allow this to happen, even if Barry kept his mouth shut about it. Stop wishing for this to happen, it's not gonna happen.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs resign him in the summer, but I don't want that to happen

Budkin
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
close this thread please, it's garbage.

sure its a possibility, but the reality of it is that it will probably not happen. after what Stackhouse said in the Nets-Mavs trade, I don't think the NBA would allow this to happen, even if Barry kept his mouth shut about it. Stop wishing for this to happen, it's not gonna happen.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs resign him in the summer, but I don't want that to happen

It's not against the rules for this to happen, it just can't be pre-arranged before the trade goes down.

bigdog
02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
It's not against the rules for this to happen, it just can't be pre-arranged before the trade goes down.

True, but the NBA seemed pretty crazy about it when Stackhouse mentioned that he would go back to Dallas, so I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA doesn't let SA resign Barry. It's just something I thought about, I know it's not against the rules but you never know in this league what the NBA offices will do.

easjer
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
True, but the NBA seemed pretty crazy about it when Stackhouse mentioned that he would go back to Dallas, so I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA doesn't let SA resign Barry. It's just something I thought about, I know it's not against the rules but you never know in this league what the NBA offices will do.

I'm curious about how exactly you think the league would prevent the Spurs from resigning a player who is currently and legally available (that is, BB is bought out by Seattle and waits 30 days and is approached by the Spurs with an offer, at which time he accepts the offer) if they have an open roster spot.

hater
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM

The NBA did not seem pretty crazy. When asked about it at Allstars, Stern calmly said Stack is free to rejoin the mavs after 30 days.

Ice009
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
If Barry is bought out does he get placed on waivers? How does this work? If he is placed on waivers can Phoenix pick him up? Maybe the Suns are trying to make the Sonics think twice about buying him out?

fyatuk
02-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm curious about how exactly you think the league would prevent the Spurs from resigning a player who is currently and legally available (that is, BB is bought out by Seattle and waits 30 days and is approached by the Spurs with an offer, at which time he accepts the offer) if they have an open roster spot.

Actually, the league can reject any player transaction for no reason whatsoever and the team/player would have to file for arbitration (and win) before the transaction could be completed.

It's a possibility they could block it, but I highly doubt it since no one has said anything except media and fan speculation. Not that I expect Barry to come back. If he's bought out, he'll probably get a pretty good offer from a competitor and sign on with them for the remainder of the season.

Ice009
02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Phoenix (trade exception) or another team with cap space can pick him up off of waivers. Brent's contract isn't that bad so a few teams might really be interested in him. If someone wants to pick him up off of waivers can Brent flat out say he doesn't want to play for that team, and would rather test free agency or does he have no choice?

fyatuk
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't think he has a choice if claimed on waivers.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
If he's bought out be becomes a free agent and can sign with any team, save for the Spurs, who must wait 30 days to sign him.

Dex
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
The reason the league got 'crazy' about it was because Stackhouse opened his big mouth to the media, and made it obvious that there were pre-arranged intentions to come back.

As many people have stated (even when that happened), there is nothing in the rules that says a player can't come back after 30 days. But there is something that specifically says it can't be pre-arranged. Stackhouse put the League in a tough spot by making their plans blatantly apparent.

As long as Barry plays his cards right and Seattle is willing to drop him, then I don't think the League would oppose it.

timvp
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Many players have been traded, bought out and returned to their original team. The only reason the Stackhouse situation exploded was because he openly talked about it. If the Sonics go ahead and waive Barry in the upcoming days and he doesn't sign with someone immediately, I'd say the Spurs have a rather good shot at re-signing him.

fyatuk
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Phoenix (trade exception) or another team with cap space can pick him up off of waivers.

I may be reading this wrong, but the trade exception can only be used as part of a trade. You cannot use it to claim someone off waivers, sign a free agent, etc. It also can't be used in a multi-player trade.

kace
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
If he's bought out be becomes a free agent and can sign with any team, save for the Spurs, who must wait 30 days to sign him.

no

timvp
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Barry won't be claimed off waivers. There's a 0% chance of that happening. However, I do think he'll be wooed heavily by the Suns, Lakers and Mavs.

Solid D
Many players have been traded, bought out and returned to their original team. The only reason the Stackhouse situation exploded was because he openly talked about it. If the Sonics go ahead and waive Barry in the upcoming days and he doesn't sign with someone immediately, I'd say the Spurs have a rather good shot at re-signing him.

.....if Holt wants to spend the money AND Brent is willing to take..oh, say, $1M for 3 months' salary.

Ice009
So, IF Barry is bought out then he doesn't go on waivers, and no other team can pick him up right? Barry is then a FA and can go where ever he wants?

MannyIsGod
02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Brents not taking a 2 month contract. He'll want a multiyear for sure.

samikeyp
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM

agreed.

Brent, stay quiet and collect the paychecks. :)

kace
02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
if the sonics waive brent, he can be picked by any team with the cap space to take his contract. if many teams want to do this, it goes to the one with the lower winning percentage.

if after 48 hours, no team have picked him, then he becomes a FA and can choose to go where he wants.

the spurs can't sign him during 30 days. so, they won't be able to have him if another team (suns ?) picks him after the waive.

K-State Spur
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM

midyear, not sure anybody of note offers that.

bigfan
02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
I dont see the Sonics waiving Bones. He's a big draw there (at least as long as they are in Seattle) and I bet there are lots of teams that want him besides the Spurs. I liked Bones and thought he was kinda shafted here as always being mentioned in trades ect... Thought he handled it all with class.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Brent Barry couldn't sell a cup of coffee in Seattle.

Budkin
02-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm sure they discussed the possibility with him before he left. He's just going to stay quiet unlike Stack.

Que Gee
02-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Exactly.

TeKu
02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Wishful thinking surely?

Even if Barry is bought out by the Sonics would the Spurs FO sign him? His trade only just bought us back under the magical luxury tax threshold. I don't see them going back over again, especially if Brent wants a multi year deal (as he should).

td4mvp21
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Wishful thinking surely?

Even if Barry is bought out by the Sonics would the Spurs FO sign him? His trade only just bought us back under the magical luxury tax threshold. I don't see them going back over again, especially if Brent wants a multi year deal (as he should).

We need to prevent Dallas, Lakers, and the Suns from getting Barry, or another contender picking him up.

TeKu
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
We need to prevent Dallas, Lakers, and the Suns from getting Barry, or another contender picking him up.

Then I'm guessing the money we threw to Presti was potentially to stop Seattle from buying Barry out. I just don't see the Spurs paying a 2 for 1 tax (plus what they'd lose in their share of the tax) by going back over the threshold. I wasn't a coincidence the Thomas trade bought us back under.

Chucho
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
The Suns would not sign Barry. They are over the luxury tax by a fair amount, I think I recall them being the highest payroll in the West. Maybe Dallas, but I really don't see too many teams really making that much of a fuss for an average player who's been banged up a majority of the season and is 36 years old (for those who were complaining about K.Ts age). Man he is being hugely over rated on this board, love the guy, but he hasn't made ANY contributions bigger than Robert Horry or Mike Finley during the playoffs. Get .off. it.

Cherry
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Don't say anything or the league will block it because we opened our stackhouse like mouths.

HAHAHAHA

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1507/shhhpicqz3.jpg

CaptainLate
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Cat has it right. And with BB, since he is still 2-3 wks away from being able to play, I suspect if the Spurs want him back (remember, Udoka made BB expendable) and he wants to come back he will wait the 30-days. I'm sure some similar "conversation" like this was discussed before the trade.

pad300
02-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Given the only thing we can actually offer him is the vet min, if he wants a multi-year deal, I'd give it to him. Say 3 Years? Works for me. 07/08 (the rest of this season, 08/09, 09/10. Geez, fits in real well with the so called 2010 plan as well. And he's been quite productive when healthy, as well as a good locker-room guy.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
The Suns would not sign Barry. They are over the luxury tax by a fair amount, I think I recall them being the highest payroll in the West. Maybe Dallas, but I really don't see too many teams really making that much of a fuss for an average player who's been banged up a majority of the season and is 36 years old (for those who were complaining about K.Ts age). Man he is being hugely over rated on this board, love the guy, but he hasn't made ANY contributions bigger than Robert Horry or Mike Finley during the playoffs. Get .off. it.

It's ok RC, we got you covered.

michaelwcho
02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Barry won't be claimed off waivers. There's a 0% chance of that happening. However, I do think he'll be wooed heavily by the Suns, Lakers and Mavs.
I heard the sportstalk guys here in Phoenix discussing him. The thought of Barry dropping threes on us is a rather glum one.

WildcardManu
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM

I guess shooting the 3 doesn't count.

Timmy!
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Somebody go to his house and see if he's packing his furniture.

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I heard the sportstalk guys here in Phoenix discussing him. The thought of Barry dropping threes on us is a rather glum one.

Yeah, that would suck.

But Barry is a smart dude. Unless his family has already packed up and left town, it makes sense for him to return to San Antonio.

Also, if your Brent Barry, wouldn't you rather play for the Spurs and face the Suns who you have historically lit up like pinball machine instead of playing for the Suns and facing the Spurs vaunted defense?

MannyIsGod
02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
midyear, not sure anybody of note offers that.Lots of teams can offer him at least a 2 year deal. He's not going to take a rest of season deal. I'm almost sure of that.

Bruno
02-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Sonics must waive someone today before the three team trade with Bulls and Cavs is finalized.
I guess it will be Elson or Barry.

Spurs still have a big part of the MLE, I had to look at how pro-rated contract works but it could be possible that spurs are able to offer a quite big multi year contract to Barry without going over the luxury tax this year.

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Spurs still have a big part of the MLE, I had to look at how pro-rated contract works but it could be possible that spurs are able to offer a quite big multi year contract to Barry without going over the luxury tax this year.

I don't see them doing it...about 50% of Pop's issues with Barry are over what he makes...I mean his play is part of it, but it's play + pay that has had him on the trade block for nearly his entire career, if he was making the vet min Pop would be his biggest fan...coaches are funny like that.

I remember watching Jimmy Johnson explain that to Ken Norton JR one time...about why he(Johnson) turned mean.

The fact that Barry made more money than Bowen(arguably his favorite player on the team) wasn't lost on Pop for a second.

I don't see the Spurs offering him more than the vet min...you know, like Finley took. Unless they just really don't want him winding up on a team.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Barry was on the trade block because his contract was big enough to perhaps land something of value. The Spurs weren't going to move Manu.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
And Finley didn't take the veteran minimum.

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
And Finley didn't take the veteran minimum.

What did he take? The LLE? Same difference. He's not making much I know that.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:35 PM
What did he take? The LLE? Same difference. He's not making much I know that.

He didn't take the LLE.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Barry was expendable and there were other needs.

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:37 PM
He didn't take the LLE.

Whatever...2.4 mil. Whatever...the point is the same.

loveforthegame
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Finley took half the MLE correct?

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Barry was expendable and there were other needs.

Well you're wrong if you think his pay wasn't a part of it(Pop's attitude about his value)...just ask Malik.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Whatever...2.4 mil. Whatever...the point is the same.

Not really. Barry's contract wasn't outrageous.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Well you're wrong if you think his pay wasn't a part of it(Pop's attitude about his value)...just ask Malik.

Malik had like $32 mil remaining after his first year. Brent had around $15 mil.

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Not really.

Barry's contract wasn't outrageous.

Compared to who? He was the fourth highest paid player on the team...

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Brent Barry could rape a small child and you would end up blaming the kid, the parents, or some left wing organization.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Compared to who? He was the fourth highest paid player on the team...

So what? His salary was the NBA average. BFD.

whottt
Malik had like $32 mil remaining after his first year. Brent had around $15 mil.

Same principle though...Malik and Pop's relationship deteriorated immediately following that signing. You can spin it however you want...but it happens, and it happens in other sports and with other players and coaches. The more involved a coach is in his teams admin structure...the more likely it is to happen.

whottt
Brent Barry could rape a small child and you would end up blaming the kid, the parents, or some left wing organization.

Um...when and where did I do that? Blame Pop I mean....you hair splitting bitch.

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM
So what? His salary was the NBA average. BFD.

Just STFU and stick to finding other 35 year old scrubs to trade our #1 picks for...it's what you do best.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Better than living with some 36 year old dude's nuts on my chin.

MajicMan
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
If so it's a fucken conspiracy.

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
If so it's a fucken conspiracy.

It's not what you know. It's what you can prove.

Bruno
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Barry has been waived by Seattle.

MajicMan
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
It's not what you know. It's what you can prove.
All right then, fair enough. Don't ever want to hear the "C" word from you guys again. Thanks :toast

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Barry has been waived by Seattle.

Link?

Bruno
02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/trade080221.html

In order to complete the trade, the Sonics waived Brent Barry to make the necessary roster spots available. Barry was acquired yesterday in a trade with the San Antonio Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
:danceclub
Come back Brent!

td4mvp21
Interesting....

SA Gunslinger
http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/trade080221.html

Thanks, dude.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
If he was waived and not bought out, someone's going to pick him up.

SA Gunslinger
02-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Man, I hope no one offers him something outrageous.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't think he has a choice where he goes. If someone claims him off waivers, they pay his contract for this season. If he clears, then he can re-sign wherever he wants. I'm sure he will want more than just the last month of the season in order to come back to the Spurs. I don't think the Spurs will want to bid for him.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
If he was waived and not bought out, someone's going to pick him up.Who?

TeKu
02-21-2008, 08:03 PM
If he is claimed off waivers is the team that claims him on the hook for his full caphit or only pro-rata for the balance of the season?

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Who?
I'll tell you when it happens. I'm quite sure you'll tell me if it doesn't. :lol

T Park
02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Come on back home Brent :)

MannyIsGod
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
No one is going to pick him up off waivers. I believe you'd have to be under the cap for the amount of his contract to do that anyway and any team that would want him will be over the cap.

loveforthegame
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm not worried about anyone claiming him off waivers either.

MannyIsGod
02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't know if I"m happy about this or not yet. I'll only be happy if he comes back. Should he go to the Suns I'm going to be extremely upset.

At this point I wish he had just stayed a Sonic. The devil you know, The devil you know.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
this isn't going to happen

and if it does, why would Barry want to come back to the team that just shipped him unless everything has already been agreed on

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
this isn't going to happen

and if it does, why would Barry want to come back to the team that just shipped him unless everything has already been agreed onQuinn can finish the school year.

E20
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Quinn can finish the school year.
:rolleyes :dramaquee

DespЏrado
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Sweet Barry is going to make it back here...It's just the most probable solution, so long as Barry likes it in SA, and he doesn't mind the pay cut. I hope we will always have a spot in the franchise for him...whether it's in the front office, in broadcasting, or on the court.

Que Gee
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
No one is going to pick him up off waivers. I believe you'd have to be under the cap for the amount of his contract to do that anyway and any team that would want him will be over the cap.

Incorrect.

DespЏrado
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Incorrect.

How is that incorrect? You can't just add numbers to the cap...

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Sweet Barry is going to make it back here...It's just the most probable solution, so long as Barry likes it in SA, and he doesn't mind the pay cut. I hope we will always have a spot in the franchise for him...whether it's in the front office, in broadcasting, or on the court.

Would he really be getting a pay cut? Won't the Sonics have to pay Barry the remainder of his '07/08 salary if nobody claims him off waivers? Then he would be free to sign for veterans' minimum (and would still end up making more than what he would have had he remained on the Spurs' roster initially). Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I am by no means a cap expert and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :king

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Incorrect.

I actually believe that he was correct.

EDIT: If this is the case, there are only 3 teams currently under the salary cap (Atlanta, Memphis, and Charlotte) and only 2 could afford the remainder of his salary (Memphis and Charlotte).

DespЏrado
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
To claim someone before they clear waivers you are accepting the remainder of the contract. Meaning you have to have room under the cap because its not a vet minimum salary, and you will owe the prorated remainder of the original contract.

On Edit- And you are right I don't think he will be getting a pay cut to come back here. I think the sonics owe him the rest of his contract.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-21-2008, 08:59 PM

LMAO , you're acting like it's a done deal

DespЏrado
02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Why would Barry want to go somewhere else? He as a free agent chose the Spurs. He sought us out originally. That was before he and his family had established themselves in South Texas. What has changed about that situation?

kingmalaki
02-21-2008, 09:59 PM
My Rockets are interested but I don't see why he would pick us over y'all. How much PT would he be getting if he came back to SA? That may be the only thing that we could offer more of.

ClingingMars
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
My Rockets are interested but I don't see why he would pick us over y'all. How much PT would he be getting if he came back to SA? That may be the only thing that we could offer more of.

we can also offer another ring, even if it's not this year.

-Mars

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM

EDIT: If this is the case, there are only 3 teams currently under the salary cap (Atlanta, Memphis, and Charlotte) and only 2 could afford the remainder of his salary (Memphis and Charlotte).A trade exception could do it too.

Phoenix.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Suns will make a run at him, too bad

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Suns will make a run at him, too badIs this a lock like Artest's being traded?

coopdogg3
02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Is this a lock like Artest's being traded?

Artest will be traded, just you wait. Just because the trade deadline is past doesn't mean he won't be traded .... oh wait. Never mind.

6thMANU
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
They just said on the TNT Post game show that Brent Barry most likely will go back to the spurs :elephant

easjer
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Aldridge on TNT also said that they would likely buy him out.

Too bad they waived him hours ago.

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
A trade exception could do it too.

Phoenix.

But that's only if they claim him off of waivers, correct? Then they would be on the hook for his full salary? This is what makes this VERY unlikely IMHO. Once he clears waivers, I believe that the most the Suns could use would be the vet minimum.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 10:58 PM
But that's only if they claim him off of waivers, correct? Then they would be on the hook for his full salary? This is what makes this VERY unlikely IMHO.
Yep.

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Yep.

Someone else mentioned in another thread that the Suns are also over the Luxury Tax threshold, so they would basically be on the hook for $11M if they claim him off waivers. I think that that moves it from "highly unlikely" to "virtually impossible".

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I pretty much said that every time someone brought up the Suns' trade exception.