PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili: Gold Medal is more Important than NBA Championship

usckk
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
AN ANTONIO (TICKER) —San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has made winning an Olympic gold medal his priority this year but insists he is not preoccupied with hopes for Beijing.

The 30-year-old Argentine has even ranked that aim above winning an NBA title but knows his country will have a huge challenge on its hands if it is to fend off stiff competition from the likes of Team USA.

“If I have to choose between a new NBA title or the Olympic gold medal this year, I’d choose the Olympic medal because it would possibly be my last opportunity to win one,” said Ginobili, who won gold with Argentina in Athens four years ago.

“In the NBA, if I don’t win this year, it might be next year or the following. I cannot think about the Games now because we have a lot of matches, a lot of trips and my mind is focused on taking care of my body. I cannot think about five months’ time from now.”

But he agreed that at some point Argentina will have to focus in on its tough road ahead.

“We know how difficult it will be but we know it is a possibility,” Ginobili said. “A medal is our goal, then we’ll see which color it is. Without a doubt, we are one of the best four teams in the world and we’ll try to prove it on the court.”

Ginobili was unable to confirm whether he would continue playing for Argentina after the Olympics.

“As I said after the past World Championship in Japan, whether I play for the national team will depend on how good I feel, how motivated I am and my physical state,” he told ole.com.ar.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApnleepWL_e4iAZ7qGLTmJQ5nYcB?slug=txspur sginobili&prov=st&type=lgns

whottt
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Why take his words out of context usuckk? Shouldn't you leave that job for enemy journalists?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
If Manu was playing pickup ball on the blacktop on a Saturday afternoon he'd probably play with the same desire to win that he brings to every NBA game and every game in international competition. Dude plays to win.

Allanon
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Playing in the NBA is a paid sport.

Playing for your country every 4 years is an Honor.

Kobayagi
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Good timing to say something like this. :D

timvp
02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Obviously it's not great to hear that a player on your team has more important goals than an NBA championship, however Ginobili is the last player I worry about not playing his hardest to win.

urunobili
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
i heard the telephone interview here: http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/02/21/basquet/01612481.html

i think the feeling is that he is sure if it's not this year.. the spurs will be contending for the next three years and he is sure at least they'll get a couple more rings... not to worry.. as timvp said he wants to win everything he is competing at....

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
i heard the telephone interview here: http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/02/21/basquet/01612481.html

i think the feeling is that he is sure if it's not this year.. the spurs will be contending for the next three years and he is sure at least they'll get a couple more rings... not to worry.. as timvp said he wants to win everything he is competing at....

That's the way I interpreted the original post, too.

He's basically saying that this olympics is likely his last, and therefore he really wants to win it. On the other hand, he knows he can beat this weak NBA competition anytime he puts his mind to it, and will for years to come. After all...he is the Manu.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, Manu's been kind of taking nights off and not playing hard. That's been a problem with him since he's been with the Spurs.

ShoogarBear
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Good thing Tony didn't say it.

endrity
02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
and now he is going crazy on the poor t-wolves

smeagol
02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
As everybody can see from today's first half, Manu does not care about the NBA . . .

Russ
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
A man can't serve two masters.

Except for Manu. :clap :clap :clap :clap

nkdlunch
02-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Of course Olympics is more important.

Olympics make you immortal and for a country like Argentina to win gold is something out of this world.

win a title for San Antonio you become a hero. win gold for Argentina you become a god

WalterBenitez
02-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Obviously it's not great to hear that a player on your team has more important goals than an NBA championship, however Ginobili is the last player I worry about not playing his hardest to win.

He didn't say that

He was asked to compare .. he answered "I'd take Olympics since this is my last chance to get, and probably NBA I'd have more chances"

From than sentence to Gold Medal is more ... is a shit ... only E! News could says sth like that. :pctoss

WalterBenitez
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Playing in the NBA is a paid sport.

Playing for your country every 4 years is an Honor.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2008, 11:02 PM
He's obviously saving himself for teh Olympics!!1!

Trade him! For Vince Carter! Now!!!1!

Hate tehm euro soft commies

Cherry
02-21-2008, 11:10 PM
He was asked to compare .. he answered "I'd take Olympics since this is my last chance to get, and probably NBA I'd have more chances"

Exactly. you have more chances to win in the NBA every year but in the olympics you have no more than 2 o 3 chances.

FromWayDowntown
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Manu's lack of commitment to the Spurs was fairly evident tonight in Minnesota.

spursrocksocks
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
The dude has heart, He has earned the right to do what he wants. He just wants to win, and that exactly what he will do

HighLowLobForBig-50
02-21-2008, 11:27 PM
guy sux

phyzik
02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I can understand where Manu is coming from and I have full confidence that he will not neglect his NBA Spurs duties as an asassin before he goes for his second gold.