PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson's Take on The Trade

Russ
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Phil Jackson, according to the LA Times, had some interesting things to say about the Spurs picking up Kurt Thomas. Looks like it got the Lakers' attention (not an easy feat):

Jackson said Thomas was "very efficient as a player." Then he jabbed P.J. Carlesimo, who spent five seasons as an assistant coach with San Antonio before taking the head coaching job with Seattle this season.

"No doubt about the fact that P.J. would send him on over to San Antonio without any hesitation," Jackson said wryly.

Jackson was then asked if he wanted to be on the so-called "trade committee" sarcastically proposed by San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich after the Lakers acquired Gasol.

"I don't want to be on that committee," Jackson said. "I hate committees."

www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep21feb21,1,1009783.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

I heard another Laker reaction from Kurt Rambis on local LA radio tonight. Rambis said he consiodered Thomas "one of the best, if not the best, low post defenders in the game."

Rambis also praised Thomas' ability to draw his defender away from the basket and hit the outside jumper. In fact, Rambis was uncharacteristically glowing in his assesment of the trade from the Spurs' point of view. Seattle, on the other hand, is just looking to the future, said Rambis. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
if whotttttt doesn't like him, cbf doesn't like him either.

spursfan09
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
What goes around comes around

ludda
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
psh yeah like this is anywhere near the highway robbery that they pulled on Memphis for Gasol.

ClingingMars
02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
thomas is no gasol. gasol is a potential HOF.

-Mars

honestfool84
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
psh yeah like this is anywhere near the highway robbery that they pulled on Memphis for Gasol.

is it just me, or did anyone else notice that jerry west (past LAKER hall of fame player) is an integral part of the memphis front office?

-David

bdictjames
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Jackson should stfu.

SenorSpur
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Fuck Phil Jackson!

It'll do me a great pleasure to see the Spurs "kick their Fake asses" out of the playoffs. I'm assuming, of course, the two teams are destined to face one another at some point.

td4mvp21
02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Like he has any room to talk. Oh well, this isn't new, he always has some little jab at the Spurs.

gameFACE
02-21-2008, 10:55 PM
What goes around comes around

Touche!

Philip's a bitter old crab.

DazedAndConfused
02-21-2008, 10:55 PM
He's fucking joking you morons. As I'm sure Pop was joking when he made his comments.

Brutalis
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
asterisks.. duncan and robinson are soft... who cares. the man has proven to be ignorant.

Thompson
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Pop should have said "Gee, Phil, if you're that worried about us unfairly grabbing the great Kurt Thomas, we'll trade him to you right now for Gasol. Kurt is certainly better than Kwame Brown; you guys will be getting a steal."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah Phil's such a wiseguy...

This was an actual TRADE that involved efforts to find equal value.

Yuixafun
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Jackson always has something sardonic to say. But I don't think he's worried that much about the Kurt Thomas trade. He was just being a wise ass.

With the players they have, and being so big at 4 spots.. that triangle offense is gonna destroy slow rotations. The new guys get a pass of course, but right now the Spurs defense isn't close to where it needs to be. Bowen is stinking it up, iono if he is threatened by Ime, but he needs to suck it up.

Duncan needs to drink some of Kobe's kool-aid. I'm saying that as a concerned Spurs fan. Kobe is dropping 40+ points with a torn ligament.. and Duncan is missing BUNNIES. I only watched the first half of the Spurs/Twolves, but what I saw had me shaking my head.

I mean Duncan is 1 foot away and missing. And then he's missing the put back. When the Wolves went on a 10-2 run, most of that was on Timmy, either a blown point blank dunk, or a lazy/foolish pass. Whatever he caught in during the All-Star game he needs to find a cure. He ended with a good stat line, but he needs to not dig holes in the first place.

Seriously the Wolves should have no business being close to the Spurs during a game, even without Tony Parker. Defending champs vs team in its first year together??

Manu can't keep bailing the Spurs out. He's going to burn out and we need him at full strength if the Spurs are going to repeat.

I know if the Spurs played the Lakers now, L.A. would win the series 4-2. Their starting 5 is playing well together already, and they are still going to get Bynum back. Their bench is deep, and most of all they are hungry. They are 'heating up.'

The Spurs, it doesn't even seem like the pot is on the stove. The Spurs can't get into the habit of playing lazy, without urgency, without poise.

I'm just saying, Kobe drops 40 points injured, the Lakers supporting cast rises to the occasion and wins a playoff atmosphere type game in the desert... meanwhile the Spurs win by 1 against the cellar dweller Wolves with another Manu eruption.

That's gotta make you uneasy.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Having observed Spurs fans hanging on Phil Jackson's quotes for some time, here's a word of advice. Stop.

Cry Havoc
02-22-2008, 12:19 AM
You know, really though, I think we're looking at this from perhaps the wrong perspective.

Sure, Gasol might be a better player, but is the difference that huge?

Thomas is light-years ahead of him as a defender. He's going to match up on defense a LOT better than Gasol will... who's going to flat out be abused by either faster or bigger PFs that the west is packed with.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2008, 01:13 AM
When you respond to Phil, he gets the response he wants.

Just fucking ignore him, he always mocks those who he perceives to be his biggest threat to winning a title.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Without Gasol the Lakers would not make the playoffs (assuming Bynum is out the rest of the regular season). With Gasol we will probably lockup the #1-3 seed in the WC. You can't say that about Kurt Thomas and the Spurs.

I'd be very worried if I were a Spurs fan right now. I don't see a championship level team when I watch them, barely beating garbage teams like the Knicks/T-Wolves/Heat when a real championship team would be blowing them out. It's almost March and I don't know how much longer you can use the SPAM excuse. Well I guess until after March right?

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd be very worried if I were a Spurs fan right now.I'd be very stupid if I were a lakerfan right now.

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Without Gasol the Lakers would not make the playoffs (assuming Bynum is out the rest of the regular season). With Gasol we will probably lockup the #1-3 seed in the WC. You can't say that about Kurt Thomas and the Spurs.

I'd be very worried if I were a Spurs fan right now. I don't see a championship level team when I watch them, barely beating garbage teams like the Knicks/T-Wolves/Heat when a real championship team would be blowing them out. It's almost March and I don't know how much longer you can use the SPAM excuse. Well I guess until after March right?

you are right Spurs are struggling vs. lottery teams. But you must not know Spurs. They ALWAYS do this. this season they are looking a little worse than usual. But then again Manu is looking better than ever. so who knows.

if you are discounting the Spurs already you are in for a treat. Yes, wait until March at least.

and NO WE ARE NOT WORRIED. We wil not be worried until we are down in a playoff series.

whottt
02-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Pop started it...

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:26 AM
you are right Spurs are struggling vs. lottery teams. But you must not know Spurs. They ALWAYS do this. this season they are looking a little worse than usual. But then again Manu is looking better than ever. so who knows.

if you are discounting the Spurs already you are in for a treat. Yes, wait until March at least.

and NO WE ARE NOT WORRIED. We wil not be worried until we are down in a playoff series.

I agree the Spurs will probably kick it up a notch by the time the playoffs come. I just don't think it will be enough given how good the WC is. Other teams are hungrier, more talented, and flat out want to win more than the Spurs. You got Ginobli saying he'd rather have an Olympic medal this year than an NBA Championship. I get the feeling he sees what I see, the Spurs aren't winning this year with the players they got. They are gonna need to reload again with young talent before they can contend again IMHO.

whottt
02-22-2008, 01:28 AM
I agree the Spurs will probably kick it up a notch by the time the playoffs come. I just don't think it will be enough given how good the WC is. Other teams are hungrier, more talented, and flat out want to win more than the Spurs. You got Ginobli saying he'd rather have an Olympic medal this year than an NBA Championship. I get the feeling he sees what I see, the Spurs aren't winning this year with the players they got. They are gonna need to reload again with young talent before they can contend again IMHO.

Lakers aren't winning this year either....I hate to break it to you.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Well great, lakerfan.

Since we already know what you are going to post every time, there's really no need for you to actually go through the motions of actually posting here.

Nice knowing you.

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:32 AM
I just don't think it will be enough given how good the WC is. Other teams are hungrier, more talented, and flat out want to win more than the Spurs.

Rethink what you said. talent has nothing to do with it. Spurs have been winning over more talented teams for years now.

The only teams I see spurs having trouble in the west with are:
Hornets
Jazz
Lakers

in that order. Jazz would be a classic series. Hornets are too young. and Lakers... are also too young. the only experienced guys are Kobe and Fisher. And fisher was neutralized last year by Spurs. he will be again.

You got Ginobli saying he'd rather have an Olympic medal this year than an NBA Championship.

if you think Manu will not compete 100% in playoffs you are out of your mind. The only questionmark is Parker. If he can play like he played last year in playoffs. The title is ours.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Kobe, Fisher, Odom, and Gasol are all experienced veteran NBA players. That's 4 out of the starting 5.

And despite the age of the Laker team they are not inexperienced. They have been playing together for the last 3-4 years now. You can't execute the triangle offense at a high level without years of experience, which the Lakers now have.

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:41 AM
I meant experienced going deep into the playoffs.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
It's not going to make a difference dude. Keep grasping at straws. If that were the case how the hell did the Giants win the Superbowl? I mean experience matters, but superior talent, good coaching, and desire can offset that.

whottt
02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Kobe, Fisher, Odom, and Gasol are all experienced veteran NBA players. That's 4 out of the starting 5.

And despite the age of the Laker team they are not inexperienced. They have been playing together for the last 3-4 years now. You can't execute the triangle offense at a high level without years of experience, which the Lakers now have.

Who's your second star?

Gasol

What the hell is a Gasol?

Isn't that Spanish for broom?

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:52 AM
It's not going to make a difference dude. Keep grasping at straws. If that were the case how the hell did the Giants win the Superbowl? I mean experience matters, but superior talent, good coaching, and desire can offset that.

How are the lakers more talented, better coached and hungrier than Spurs???

Spurs are just as hungry to repeat. We got the best PF in history and 2 superstars in Manu and Parker. and we got more experience. Pop is as good or better coach than PJ.

Lakers got nothing on us.

not to mention we are still better defensive team than Lakers. And Giants beat Patriots with defense. :smokin

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:58 AM
When the Lakers get Bynum back they will have a more talented team from top to bottom, including the bench. The Spurs are not as hungry to repeat as Kobe and co. are to win a championship. If they were they wouldn't be barely beating crap teams like NYK and MIN.

We've shown we can beat the Spurs (2000-2004) with a superior offense and good defense. That's what we have now.,

SpursFan0728
02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
When the Lakers get Bynum back they will have a more talented team from top to bottom, including the bench. The Spurs are not as hungry to repeat as Kobe and co. are to win a championship. If they were they wouldn't be barely beating crap teams like NYK and MIN.

We've shown we can beat the Spurs (2000-2004) with a superior offense and good defense. That's what we have now.,
didn't lakers should lost to Hawks a few games ago?

there is nothing to be sad about that the spurs win by 1 on the road...

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 02:02 AM

you obviously don't know the Spurs. they are like a volume dial in a radio. they do not go from 0 to 100%. it takes time, but when playoffs come they are close to 100%

you can't be serious if you bring up 2000 or 2004. you had a completely different team. get real. who's grasping at straws now???

whottt
02-22-2008, 02:04 AM

Kobe's hurt.
Bynum's hurt...and young.
Odom will be hurt..at some point.
Gasol isn't exactly the second coming of AC Green himself...

You can't just throw guys out there who are returning from injury without missing a beat...especially green guys.

It's not easy to win a championship.

On top of that...you don't have a second star...that truly fits that definition of a second go to guy that can be counted on. You don't have it right now...and only homerism would lead you to conclude that you do.

And you'll forgive me for not completely buying into your superior defense rhetoric just yet...

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:15 AM
We've shown we can beat the SpursThe Spurs have shown they can beat the Lakers.

and make them cry.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Kobe's hurt.
Bynum's hurt...and young.
Odom will be hurt..at some point.
Gasol isn't exactly the second coming of AC Green himself...

You can't just throw guys out there who are returning from injury without missing a beat...especially green guys.

It's not easy to win a championship.

On top of that...you don't have a second star...that truly fits that definition of a second go to guy that can be counted on. You don't have it right now...and only homerism would lead you to conclude that you do.

And you'll forgive me for not completely buying into your superior defense rhetoric just yet...

Wow what a complete croc of shit. Injuries are just as much an issue for the Spurs as they are the Lakers or any team for that matter. You can't use that as a potential "advantage" when all of your big 3 have been consistently injure this entire season.

No second star? You're right we have 4. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum will all average over double digits when they are on the floor together. LMAO at how Gasol cannot be considered a 2nd option when he is averaging over 20 ppg and shooting over 50% from the field. Do your homework kid.

SA Gunslinger
02-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Wow what a complete croc of shit. Injuries are just as much an issue for the Spurs as they are the Lakers or any team for that matter. You can't use that as a potential "advantage" when all of your big 3 have been consistently injure this entire season.

No second star? You're right we have 4. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum will all average over double digits when they are on the floor together. LMAO at how Gasol cannot be considered a 2nd option when he is averaging over 20 ppg and shooting over 50% from the field. Do your homework kid.

Bynum plays 25 good regular season games and now he's a star?

whottt
02-22-2008, 02:20 AM

Um...the Spurs don't have any guys that the Doctors are telling to get surgery, and that aren't doing it.

No second star? You're right we have 4.

:lmao

Thanks...that was a revelatory statement there.

LMAO at how Gasol cannot be considered a 2nd option when he is averaging over 20 ppg and shooting over 50% from the field. Do your homework kid.

My bad...I must have missed the February trophy presentation.

Bandwagon Lakerfans are the easiest of all bandwaggoners to pick off...

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Wow what a complete croc of shit. Injuries are just as much an issue for the Spurs as they are the Lakers or any team for that matter. You can't use that as a potential "advantage" when all of your big 3 have been consistently injure this entire season.They're all playing now.

Are yours?

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Playing the experience card again guys??? That's all you got. You know your time is up.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Playing the experience card again guys??? That's all you got. You know your time is up.Playing the four second stars card?

Continually flailing about on a spurboard for no reason whatsoever?

Priceless.

whottt
02-22-2008, 02:23 AM
I kind of agree...Gasol's got a lot of playoff experience. He's definitely the resident NBA expert on the playoff sweep.

Worry about getting past the Nuggets first son...

anakha
02-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Playing the experience card again guys??? That's all you got. You know your time is up.

Whatever you say, Jeff.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:29 AM
You're right the Lakers have no offensive weapons outside of Kobe Bryant. Their #3 offense in the NBA is a complete fluke. I mean Kobe must be scoring 100 ppg, there is no way his numbers could be down from last season. That would mean other guys are stepping up and that just doesn't make any sense.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:31 AM
fluke:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:35 AM
?

whottt
02-22-2008, 02:42 AM
?

Someday, when you grow up and get some experience, you won't have to ask stupid questions.

Purple & Gold
02-22-2008, 02:46 AM
I'd be very stupid if I were a lakerfan right now.

But yet you're a hawks fan :lmao :lmao

Purple & Gold
02-22-2008, 02:48 AM
It's obvious he's fucking with Pop for his whole committee thing. spurs fans are starting to get as whiny as suns fans.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:52 AM
But yet you're a hawks fan :lmao :lmaoExperienced posters figured that one out long ago.

Purple & Gold
02-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Experienced posters?? :lol :lol

Don't forget to add that to your resume DumpChumper.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Damn this is easy.

Purple & Gold
02-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Once again DumpChumper only amuses himself. Don't break your back sucking your own dick. :nope

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 03:08 AM
:lol

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Seriously ChumpDumper for all the shit you talk about other posters posting crap on the forum you don't actually contribute much of anything. And anyone who has to laugh at their own jokes just isn't very funny. Get over yourself.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 03:14 AM
What exactly are you lakerfans contributing to the Spurs board again?

Besides bitching about me, that is....

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Since when was SpursTalk a Spurs board? :)

Princess Pimp
02-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Since when was SpursTalk a Spurs board? :)
:lol

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Since 2003.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Jackson making these comments was awaited after Pop said about the Gasol trade.
The big difference with the Gasol trade is that this trade isn't one sided. I even find that Spurs gave too much for the 6 month rental of a 35 years old guy.

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Seriously ChumpDumper for all the shit you talk about other posters posting crap on the forum you don't actually contribute much of anything. And anyone who has to laugh at their own jokes just isn't very funny. Get over yourself.

Jeff's a tool.

2Cleva
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
DazedAndConfused - why argue the point? Any honest basketball fan knows what the deal is for LA and SA.

It will all be decided on the court. Until then - just sit back and enjoy.

CaptainLate
02-24-2008, 02:30 PM
"As a Lakers fan, this was the one trade that made me say, “@$*%!” because this is a ridiculous steal for the Spurs. Just when you think you’ve gotten a leg up on the champs, they get a guy like Kurt Thomas who is PERFECT for their team." :bang

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/pdloos/2008/02/21/A_review_of_the_20072008_NBA_trades

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs
Brent Barry, Francisco Elson, cash, 1st round pick to the Sonics
I simply cannot for the life of me understand this trade for the Sonics. All these wink-wink, behind-the-scenes, ball-washing deals are getting ridiculous. Presti and Carlisimo, old buddies of Buford and Popovich, should be ashamed of themselves. As a Lakers fan, this was the one trade that made me say, “@$*%!” because this is a ridiculous steal for the Spurs. Just when you think you’ve gotten a leg up on the champs, they get a guy like Kurt Thomas who is PERFECT for their team. The Sonics basically received a low first round pick. That’s it. Yeah, Barry and Elson are expiring contracts. BUT SO IS KURT THOMAS!! And he can actually play! Geez, this one just made me want to slap someone. :ihit
Spurs: A+
Sonics: F-

Loose Cannon
02-24-2008, 02:36 PM
gasol is a potential HOF.

Absolutely not

CaptainLate
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
How are the lakers more talented, better coached and hungrier than Spurs???...Pop is as good or better coach than PJ.

And if Pop had a combo of Kobe & Shaq in their primes, he would not have won only 3 titles. Heck, PhilJack was even given .4, :nope and still couldn't win another with Payton & Mailman added to the roster. :cry

ATXSPUR
02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Thank you for sparing me from wasting my time. I swear. Why does the NBA even bother having the playoffs when guys like you have it all figured out already?

Sense
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM

idiot... Spurs do that during the regular season the years they win the title... when they are blowing them out we don't.... you also forget... that the Spurs are still the champions... even the scrub teams wnat to match up against them and beat them.. they try harder against the champions... but since it's been a while since the Lakers have won... and due to the fact that you are a Laker fan... I guess I shouldn't have expected you to know this..