PDA

View Full Version : Bowen & Udoka......

Roundrockers
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
...are going to have to shoot much better then they have of late for us to have a chance this year, with Brent gone it magnifies their shooting problems.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Hasn't Brent been gone awhile?

Roundrockers
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Hasn't Brent been gone awhile?

Yes, but Fin, Manu, and Brent were the three I felt comfortable with everytime the ball was released from deep. With no chance of Brent coming back, Im hoping Udoka gets there soon.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2008, 09:44 PM
No chance?

Roundrockers
02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Things are looking better for him to come back now that he got waived huh. If he does come back and everyone stays healthy I'll be very happy with our repeat chances, even with Bowen throwing up bricks

batboy
02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I could understand Bowen losing a step on D, he's getting old. But this shooting funk seems to have no end. How do you even coach someone out of that? There is absolutely no reason for him to miss these open looks _every_ time. The only upside I can possibly see is that he is "getting it out of his system" in winter. But this is more than just a slide, no one is _this_ cold for _this_ long. He must have some kind of minor nagging injury we aren't hearing about.

I never thought I would say this but he may be turning into such on offensive liability that we can't have him on the court, esp considering the numbers his men have been putting up on us.

Holt's Cat
02-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Is this February 2007?

T Park
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I could understand Bowen losing a step on D, he's getting old. But this shooting funk seems to have no end. How do you even coach someone out of that? There is absolutely no reason for him to miss these open looks _every_ time. The only upside I can possibly see is that he is "getting it out of his system" in winter. But this is more than just a slide, no one is _this_ cold for _this_ long. He must have some kind of minor nagging injury we aren't hearing about.

I never thought I would say this but he may be turning into such on offensive liability that we can't have him on the court, esp considering the numbers his men have been putting up on us.

Step away from the keyboard.

Please.

Brutalis
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Please.
He makes a point.

Bowen has obviously lost a half step on defense and is shooting worse. You really think Pop won't pull him if it shows even more during the playoffs?

Ice009
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM

I've been saying this for maybe over a month now, but I think it's just as simple as Bruce not being in Rhythm. I think he spent too much time at the start of the season, then even more so in December and January driving the ball when he had open looks for 3's. He's starting to take his threes more often though in the last couple of weeks which I like, and I think he will get back into rhythm provided he keeps taking his shots.

Sigz
02-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Bowen is tired.

Think about what he's got to do EVERY single game... especially at his age.

I hope he gets fewer minutes towards the end of the season to A. give him a break, and B. to watch the hopeful progression of Udoka.

Ice009
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Also, I like Ime and wanted him to start, but the guy has to start hitting shots now. For those that have seen him before he came to the Spurs - Is Ime a good three point shooter? If he's not maybe he should concentrate on putting the ball on the floor and taking mid range jumpers. I'm not liking Ime's shooting and shot selection lately. TimVP I think brought this up in the last game blog I think.

TwoHandJam
02-22-2008, 12:14 AM
A lot of Bruce's offense is predicated on Tony setting him up. No Tony, Bruce suffers. He'll come around.

T Park
02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
A lot of Bruce's offense is predicated on Tony setting him up. No Tony, Bruce suffers. He'll come around.

Finally, someone brings an intelligent take.

Ice009
02-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Finally, someone brings an intelligent take.

And Tony was setting him up before and what did Bruce do? A lot of the time early in the season he opted not to take the open three, but instead he put the ball on the floor and was trying to drive it in to the rack.

Like I said Bruce just needs to keep taking the open shots when they are there and he will get back into rhythm.

edit: Just wanted to say that I really respect Bruce for trying to add to his offensive game, but I'm not sure it's helping the Spurs if he can't finish any of his drives. I still want Bruce to shoot though.

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Bowen is killin me. and Horry too.

SouthernFried
02-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Horry is bothering me more. Bruce is starting to shoot those 3's now...they ain't going, but I think they will if he keeps shooting them instead of passing them up.

Horry tho...looks pretty bad. Every time he steps out off a pick, he hip-checks and fouls the ball handler. His fouling is sloppy and unecessary. Looks uncoordinated and gangly out there right now. Shooting form is very sloppy too. Mebbe he'll come around during playoffs, but it's been ugly as of late watching him.

This is Horry's last year. Whether he wants it to be or not.

urunobili
02-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Horry is bothering me more. Bruce is starting to shoot those 3's now...they ain't going, but I think they will if he keeps shooting them instead of passing them up.

Horry tho...looks pretty bad. Every time he steps out off a pick, he hip-checks and fouls the ball handler. His fouling is sloppy and unecessary. Looks uncoordinated and gangly out there right now. Shooting form is very sloppy too. Mebbe he'll come around during playoffs, but it's been ugly as of late watching him.

This is Horry's last year. Whether he wants it to be or not.
if we repeat... he may not be back for the regular season but on a contract for the playoff's 09... probably :drunk

J.T.
02-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Is this February 2007?

Oh man if I could go back to Feb 2007, I would.

sa_butta
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Udoka has a bad game, and everyone forgets what he has done for us thus far??
And for Bowen he will be fine. Parker and Stoudamire will help him get some good looks, and he long as he keeps firing they will fall soon enough. Horry doesnt bother me at all, what he is not doing shooting the ball he is doing the other things. Ive seen him be pretty aggressive, especially on Defense.

batboy
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Excellent game from Bowen tonight.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2008, 12:57 AM
It was interesting that Udoka ate into Finley's minutes tonight.

Bowen played his standard 31/32 minutes.

Ice009
02-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Yes very interesting. I thought Michael might have played more actually.

Quasar
02-24-2008, 03:44 AM
It was interesting that Udoka ate into Finley's minutes tonight.

Bowen played his standard 31/32 minutes.

And Udoka's +1 wasn't very good compared to the more productive non-big 3 Spurs like Stoudamire and Bowen, although he matched Finley. Finley shot 1-5... could Pop finally have realized the streaky nature of his shot and decided that tonight was a brick-laying night for him?

Wonder if that's because they're trying to shop him or deciding whether to use him in the final run. How do you see his offense? His boxscore says he didn't do much.. Is the reduced number of shots good or not?

Ice009
02-24-2008, 04:02 AM
And Udoka's +1 wasn't very good compared to the more productive non-big 3 Spurs like Stoudamire and Bowen, although he matched Finley. Finley shot 1-5... could Pop finally have realized the streaky nature of his shot and decided that tonight was a brick-laying night for him?

Wonder if that's because they're trying to shop him or deciding whether to use him in the final run. How do you see his offense? His boxscore says he didn't do much.. Is the reduced number of shots good or not?

Shop who? The trade deadline is over.

I thought maybe Kori was insinuating that Pop has decided to go with Ime over Michael in the rotation for his defense? Or was it just a match up thing tonight were the Hornets scorched us last time and Pop wanted Ime to play more because he is a better defender?

ancestron
02-24-2008, 04:08 AM

Please.

+1

batboy
02-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Alright let's not get carried away now. Bowen needs to perform at or near this level for more than one night.

Have we already forgotten how badly Peja lit him up last time?

Quasar
02-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Shop who? The trade deadline is over.
Oops... forgot about that :D

Or was it just a match up thing tonight were the Hornets scorched us last time and Pop wanted Ime to play more because he is a better defender?

Could be, although I doubt Finley is being frozen out... I believe Pop gives him a long leash to shoot but if he seems cold, then Pop pulls him out... THat would've been the best way to use him, seeing how streaky he is. However, that may put too much pressure on him and put him on a permanent cold streak... Finley used to be much more than a spot up shooter... Hope he starts doing it again. Better late than never!

Kori Ellis
02-24-2008, 05:36 AM
I just noted it because it's unusual for Udoka to play more than Fin. We'll see how it plays out over the next few weeks. Once Manu's minutes get reduced back to normal for him, they'll be a little more time at the swingspots available. Right now, Manu's playing incredible, but it's too many minutes for him on a regular basis.

m33p0
02-24-2008, 07:46 AM
i guess you don't know about the.... thing.