PDA

View Full Version : Dantoni: "I hope we don't meet Lakers in playoffs"

hater
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_21.43ce967.html

"I don't know if it can be any more (intense)," D'Antoni said. "It's pretty good. ... Hopefully, we don't meet them in the playoffs."

:lmao

what a fucking moron

JMarkJohns
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Reverse psychology? I don't know. I've given up on him...

phyzik
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Dont worry D'Antoni.... Shaq daddy will save you..... :rolleyes

lurker
02-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I think at this point, every team should be saying " I hope we don't meet the Lakers in the playoffs."

Xylus
02-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I hope we don't have Mike D'Antoni as our coach in next year's playoffs.

T Park
02-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm Sure Dan D'Antoni is ready to step in.

JamStone
02-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I think he should feel that way.

Findog
02-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I prefer to play the Clippers, Grizzlies and Sonics myself, but I dunno how realistic that is...

I don't know what team I want to face, maybe Denver or Houston I guess. At some point we're going to run into a bitch of a team if we make it out of the first round. Hell, we could easily go out in the 1st round again.

san antonio spurs
02-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I prefer to play the Clippers, Grizzlies and Sonics myself, but I dunno how realistic that is...

I don't know what team I want to face, maybe Denver or Houston I guess. At some point we're going to run into a bitch of a team if we make it out of the first round. Hell, we could easily go out in the 1st round again.
This time however, there won't be any shame :reading

Amuseddaysleeper
02-22-2008, 01:56 AM

I think every team in the playoffs in the west has a strong chance of getting knocked out in rd 1 depending on the matchup.

I wouldn't be stunned if either san antonio, dallas, LA, phoenix, houston, denver, utah, or new orleans got knocked out right away.

I mean, obviously only 4 teams will advance after the first round, but any of those teams seeing an early exit wouldn't surprise me because of how insane the west is.

batboy
02-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Yet more proof that D'Antoni is Phil Jackson's bitch.

How do you become so mentally defeated by a team that you eliminate most playoffs?

RonMexico
02-22-2008, 04:01 AM
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_21.43ce967.html

"I don't know if it can be any more (intense)," D'Antoni said. "It's pretty good. ... Hopefully, we don't meet them in the playoffs."

what a fucking moron

Well, I could see it being taken slightly out of context. He could mean that if we meet them again in the playoffs, it could boil over into extreme territory a la Raja clotheslining Kobe, Rambis getting nailed by McHale on the break, Amare and Diaw coming off the bench... you know the drill.

I don't have any problem with that kind of physical play, mind you, but Stern and Stu have been cracking down since the Heat-Knicks feuds in the 90s, and you wouldn't want a great playoff series (of which there will be many this postseason) ruined by a judgment from the league office. Although if somehow Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, and Pau Gasol were suspended for a playoff game against the Suns, I might not mind it. :lol

If I recall correctly, when Rambis got nailed, only a few players were ejected and there weren't any suspensions sent down. It's ironic too, since NBA TV will show that clip countless times to glorify the Lakers-Celtics rivalry of the 80s.

z0sa
02-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Well, I could see it being taken slightly out of context. He could mean that if we meet them again in the playoffs, it could boil over into extreme territory a la Raja clotheslining Kobe, Rambis getting nailed by McHale on the break, Amare and Diaw coming off the bench... you know the drill.

thats exactly how he meant IMO. To say he just doesnt wanna face the Lakers in the playoffs might not be offbeat, but he wouldnt just come right out and say it.

ancestron
02-22-2008, 09:52 AM
The other night after the Lakers game during the press conference, D'antoni was asked if he was pleased with the defense, or something along those lines, and he said something like "Well maybe we can't stop them. Maybe we just have to outscore them."
I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Man, this guy still just does not get it!!"

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
What a bitch.

He goes from saying he can't wait to see them in the playoffs, Lakers pick up gasol, and now he pulls this out :lmao

hater
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM

I don't have any problem with that kind of physical play, mind you, but Stern and Stu have been cracking down since the Heat-Knicks feuds in the 90s, and you wouldn't want a great playoff series (of which there will be many this postseason) ruined by a judgment from the league office. Although if somehow Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, and Pau Gasol were suspended for a playoff game against the Suns, I might not mind it. :lol

If I recall correctly, when Rambis got nailed, only a few players were ejected and there weren't any suspensions sent down. It's ironic too, since NBA TV will show that clip countless times to glorify the Lakers-Celtics rivalry of the 80s.

if that's what he meant it's still silly. and Suns/Lakers series would never be as physical as in the old days. NBA is soft now and Suns are one of the softest team out there.

TheNextGen
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
wow..no coach should ever say those kind of word in public.

RonMexico
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
if that's what he meant it's still silly. and Suns/Lakers series would never be as physical as in the old days. NBA is soft now and Suns are one of the softest team out there.

NBA and management is soft now, you're right. But you can't tell me that Shaq, Raja, and Amare are "soft" even if all 3 can be stupid about it sometimes.

Who's "hard" on the Spurs? Horry and Bowen? I think the softest is still Dallas.

ancestron
02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
No Spurs are soft.

Kamnik
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
they should let diantoni go and let Nash coach&play at the same time...

guy is beyond moronic

Spurminator
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
With a series that intense, there's no WAY he can keep his players from leaving the bench.

Extra Stout
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
NBA and management is soft now, you're right. But you can't tell me that Shaq, Raja, and Amare are "soft" even if all 3 can be stupid about it sometimes.

Who's "hard" on the Spurs? Horry and Bowen? I think the softest is still Dallas.
"Hard" isn't thugging it up all gangsta. "Hard" is keeping one's poise when things get chippy. "Hard" is going into the paint even though you get knocked down every time. "Hard" is getting up off the court and shooting your free throws.

The Suns have some players who could display those attributes if coached properly. However, they are coached by somebody who seems to revel in being a flaming wussbag.

Xylus
02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
If Bynum comes back healthy, then the Lakers are going to be an extremely tough team to beat. I still want to meet them in the playoffs more than the Spurs, though.

Xylus
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
"Hard" isn't thugging it up all gangsta. "Hard" is keeping one's poise when things get chippy. "Hard" is going into the paint even though you get knocked down every time. "Hard" is getting up off the court and shooting your free throws.

The Suns have some players who could display those attributes if coached properly. However, they are coached by somebody who seems to revel in being a flaming wussbag.
Who on our team "thugs it up all gangsta?" Our whole roster is filled with stand-up guys.

As for "hard," I'd say Nash is our most mentally strong player, followed by O'Neal and Bell.

Extra Stout
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Who on our team "thugs it up all gangsta?" Our whole roster is filled with stand-up guys.

As for "hard," I'd say Nash is our most mentally strong player, followed by O'Neal and Bell.
RonMexico pegged Horry and Bowen as the Spurs' "hardest" players, probably because of their physicality. Hardness =/= physicality.

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I can't understand why he would say this....didn't he say after we beat them in the second game this year that he'd love to meet us in the playoffs where "we bust them everytime"....

Oh well, it should be a great series if both teams meet. I still think the Spurs are the team to beat though.

ElNono
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I can't understand why he would say this....didn't he say after we beat them in the second game this year that he'd love to meet us in the playoffs where "we bust them everytime"....

Oh well, it should be a great series if both teams meet. I still think the Spurs are the team to beat though.

I actually think it would be an easy series for the Lakers...
Phoenix is out of contention with their latest move, IMHO...

ancestron
02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I think the toughest and mentally strongest players on your team are Sean Marks and Eric Piatkowski, those two are some scary son's of bitches! If either of them ever got playing time the Suns would go undefeated the rest of the season including the playoffs!:toast

I agree. I mean they have The New Zealand Nightmare on their team and they never play him!!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/leleva/SeanMarks.jpg
Sean Marks--2005 NBA Champion

batboy
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

OH OK we are soft again this year. I'll make a note about it. Maybe next year we can be bullies again. Soft, hard, we are floating that goddamn trophy down the river and the rest of you can spin it any way you want.

RonMexico
02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
OH OK we are soft again this year. I'll make a note about it. Maybe next year we can be bullies again. Soft, hard, we are floating that goddamn trophy down the river and the rest of you can spin it any way you want.

Well, you guys will lead the league in abuse of wives and exercise equipment.

Sec24Row7
02-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Hah... have you ever watched our big 3 play?

"hard"doesnt mean dirty overphysical a la denver.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
the west' playoffs this year is like playing russian roulette.... with a fully loaded submachinegun.

batboy
02-23-2008, 10:49 AM

wrong team boss

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 11:15 AM
He better hope he doesn't meet the Lakers or the Spurs in the playoffs, those team have the Suns' number.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
With a series that intense, there's no WAY he can keep his players from leaving the bench.:lmao

Ann Richards
02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Poor Mike, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth!

Agloco
02-23-2008, 01:55 PM

what a fucking moron

So now D'Antoni doesn't want any part of San Antonio or LA?

:lol :lol :lol

batboy
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I see D'Antoni's teeth bouncing up and down, but all I hear is "Fire Me" over and over again.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Yeah he did say that, after you guys won by what, 30? He's an arrogant prick who always, always loses to quality teams with better coaches. If I'm a Lakers fan, I'm hoping to play the Suns at some point. Lakers in 6.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Lakers in 4. When we get our team back and healthy we'll sweep these mofos.

Lakafan23
02-23-2008, 04:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :toast :toast :toast :clap :clap :clap

batboy
02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm going to split the difference and say 5. D'Antoni lacks the mental strength to compete with the Phil Jacksons of this world.

Stargazer
02-24-2008, 12:36 AM
As I recall, D'Antoni coaches Kobe on Team USA, and consistently praises him and describes him as the best player in the game. Isn't he also close friends with his dad or something. Bottom line, I think this quote should be read as being in the vein of just praising Kobe.

JMarkJohns
02-24-2008, 01:33 AM
I think Ron Mexico was dead on in his opinion of the quote. The series has become very heated and if one misplaced elbow or hard foul occurs, all hell could break loose.

There's probably some fear and doubt behind it, but the quote itself was just speaking to the touchiness of the series recently.

baseline bum
02-24-2008, 01:43 AM
I hope we don't have Mike D'Antoni as our coach in next year's playoffs.

So is D'Antoni gone after y'all don't win this year?

Allanon
02-24-2008, 02:26 AM
As I recall, D'Antoni coaches Kobe on Team USA,....Isn't he also close friends with his dad or something.

I think everybody in the world knows the answer to this one if you have ever watched any Suns vs Lakers game.

Brent: Did you know Kobe grew up in Italy and his dad and D'antoni are friends?
Van Gundy: No Brent, I didn't know that.
Brent: Yes he did. His father Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant played in the NBA then went to play in the Italian league along with D'Antoni.
Van Gundy: You don't say.

It ALWAYS comes up at some point in the broadcast :)

Spuradicator
02-24-2008, 02:32 AM

Dammit I don't want D'Antoni to leave the Suns. Fuck!

batboy
02-24-2008, 05:02 AM

Depends on how they go out, but I could buy that assuming a lopsided early exit, which is entirely possible in this field, esp considering the lakers will likely have the division and the season series putting PHX at the 4 seed at best.

baseline bum
02-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I cannot see D'Antoni back without some hardware. Maybe it's a bit unfair since he didn't have Stoudemire in '06 and since Stoudemire got suspended at the worst possible time last year, but I think this playoffs is make or break for him.

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Phoenix should fire D'Antoni and hire Larry Brown while there's still time.

Armando
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I cannot see D'Antoni back without some hardware. Maybe it's a bit unfair since he didn't have Stoudemire in '06 and since Stoudemire got suspended at the worst possible time last year, but I think this playoffs is make or break for him.

I agree if he does not make the Finals this year I can't see him back next season.

Armando
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Rick Carlise

He won't mess with the offense but he wil have more accountabilty on defense. Larry Brown will slow the offense to a crawl.

lefty
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Maybe after we repeat

CubanMustGo
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
So will Duh'Antoni say "I hope we don't meet the Pistons in the playoffs" after today's disaster?

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
D'antoni should coach in the WNBA, where he won't have to worry about playing the Lakers.

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Rick Carlise

He won't mess with the offense but he wil have more accountabilty on defense. Larry Brown will slow the offense to a crawl.

Yeah, Carlisle would be a good choice too.

SAGambler
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
So will Duh'Antoni say "I hope we don't meet the Pistons in the playoffs" after today's disaster?

LOL...How long before Shaq starts to demand a trade? Shaq is in over his head this time.

Extra Stout
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, we don't meet them in the playoffs. I mean, the Lakers. Well, them, and the Spurs. And the Mavs, the Hornets, the Jazz, the Nuggets, the Rockets, and the Warriors. Really, I'd prefer it if we could just play Minnesota or Seattle over and over again.

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
LOL...How long before Shaq starts to demand a trade? Shaq is in over his head this time.

haha

Shaq's going to demand a trade to the Pistons now. :downspin:

lefty
02-24-2008, 05:12 PM
D'antoni should coach in the WNBA, where he won't have to worry about playing the Lakers.

He's already coaching a WNBA team

boutons_
02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
D'antoni re-phrased:

"I hope we don't miss the playoffs"

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
He's already coaching a WNBA team

Ouch! :toast

LakerMagic
02-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I can't wait to eliminate the suns from the playoffs this year. We'll give the Spurs a break and eliminate them this year. You can thank us later Spurs fans

:fro

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Good grief. 3 pages of taking the quote out of context, and it's still going?

I can't wait to eliminate the Lakers for the 3rd year in a row.

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Everyone on this forum takes D'antoni's words way too seriously. Here's a helpful hint: most of the time he's totally joking, especially if it sounds outrageous.

LakeShow
02-25-2008, 01:15 AM
haha

Shaq's going to demand a trade to the Pistons now. :downspin:

He'll say his team mates won't get him the ball first. :)

LakerMagic
02-25-2008, 01:18 AM
He'll say his team mates won't get him the ball first. :)

:lol

LakeShow
02-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Everyone on this forum takes D'antoni's words way too seriously. Here's a helpful hint: most of the time he's totally joking, especially if it sounds outrageous.

Joking or not, the guy is an idiot and if he doesn't figure it out the suns will not get far this season. He has a motivated and rejuvenated Shaq, he should be using him early. The suns are still playing their helter/skelter game. That way wont utilize Shaq at all. I watched todays game and they still passed the ball around the perimeter instead of working inside out. You have two good low post players, give them the fucking ball! Utilize Shaq at the beginning of the game and if he hits a couple of shots, teams will double him. Then he can kick it back out to your shooters for uncontested shots.

He needs to get a hold of his team and get them off that mindset that they're the Bad Boys II. They are more like the Portland Jailblazers of yesterday. Amare screaming after a dunk when his fucking team is down by 30 points. WTF? Pathetic!

They also have another problem, your two time MVP will be accountable on the other end now. The pistons used and abused him on the offensive end. That will continue. Brent Barry would be a good pickup for the Suns if they plan to compete in the West.