PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: If Barry returns to the Spurs — this time it's his choice

some_user86
02-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Buck Harvey: If Barry returns to the Spurs — this time it's his choice

Web Posted: 02/21/2008 10:47 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Brent Barry will be free soon. The Sonics have waived him, and he can sign with any team after a 48-hour period.

Any team except the Spurs, of course. Because they traded him, they wouldn't be able to re-sign him for 30 days.

There are reasons to think Barry will wait. But he has every right to weigh his options and rethink what he wants to do. After all, he's been hearing trade rumors for several years.

Now it's his turn to decide.

Barry wasn't particularly happy when he heard he'd been traded Wednesday, but it's not his nature to stay angry. Besides, he's been around long enough to understand the business.

He understood it almost as soon as he signed a four-year, $19 million contract with the Spurs. He started in a shooting slump, and it seemed from that moment on as if the Spurs were looking to dump his contract.

Two years ago, just before the trade deadline, Gregg Popovich called to tell him he had been traded to New Orleans for J.R. Smith. "I wish there had been a local bar that was open," Barry said at the time, "but it was 10 in the morning."

Shortly after Popovich called back with other news: Never mind. The trade had fallen through, and Barry had an hour to join the Spurs at the airport.

Barry said the shock turned him into a better player. But last season he was again linked to trade rumors, this time to the Clippers for Corey Maggette. When Popovich tried to put an end to all such talk, saying there would be no trades, Barry was skeptical.

"We'll see," Barry said then. "I believe Pop when he's suggesting a good wine. I believe Pop when he's telling me a good political book to read. When it comes to something like this, I personally want to wait until the deadline passes. I say it tongue-in-cheek, and I think it's pretty fair."

Pretty funny, too, which is typical of Barry.

Nothing changed even after he won his second ring. A preseason article last fall in the Express-News noted that Barry was coming off his best season with the Spurs, "but could be a trade asset in the final year of contract."

He was this week.

Through it all Barry hustled, and he stroked his set shot, and he made the Spurs versatile. Others have noticed. The Suns think they have a chance at him now, as does Golden State.

Both franchises can argue they have more playing time for Barry than the Spurs do now, and they would not be wrong. The Spurs don't need Barry the way they needed Kurt Thomas.

But the Spurs missed Barry this season when he twice injured the same calf. He changed games with his 43 percent average from the 3-point line, and the Spurs could have used his ballhandling, too, especially when Tony Parker was out.

So the Spurs should want him back, and maybe this is a Jerry Stackhouse arrangement. The Seattle general manager who traded for and then waived Barry, Sam Presti, once worked for R.C. Buford.

Why this would be more likely to pass an NBA inspection: Unlike Stackhouse, who blabbed about how he would return to Dallas, thus scuttling his deal, Barry would be too smart for that.

Then again, perhaps the Spurs don't see a need to fix his return. Barry and his family are entrenched in San Antonio.

Barry should also want to play with teammates he's known for years, as well as defend his title. And then there's his injury; waiting 30 days would just about coincide with rehab.

Besides, Barry can't leave. Who would Fab Oberto play guitar with?

But that would only fit with the last three seasons — when everyone took Barry for granted. He was a taller Steve Kerr, another down-to-earth athlete who lived outside of the gated communities.

Barry added both humor and professionalism to the locker room, and it helped create what they have now. Who else could have gotten Tim Duncan on stage wearing a wig?

That was Barry, a guy who easily moved from one crowd to another, and who could just as easily move to another NBA team the same way. For the price he would play for now, he would be a bargain.

What will he do?

He'll let the Spurs know.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022208.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.3898d93.html

DespЏrado
02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Nice article...And I'm glad the Spurs might get a chance to show him some appreciation by sending him some MLE love at a more reasonable rate.

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Come back Brent!

T Park
02-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Barry wasn't particularly happy when he heard he'd been traded Wednesday,

Thats not a good sign.

Spurminator
02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Barry certainly doesn't owe the Spurs anything, but I hope he decides to return and I think he will.

whottt
02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Can anyone translate Luddeneese?

Kori...I think this is your specialty.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Barry wasn't particularly happy when he heard he'd been traded Wednesday

CIA Barry???

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Should he have been particularly happy?

Stackhouse happy?

pad300
02-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Thats not a good sign.

Puts a little hole in the collusion theory doesn't it. Unlike Stackhouse who was whooping it up...

NASpurs
02-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Thats not a good sign.It's an even worse sign if he was exstatic that he was traded.

Que Gee
02-22-2008, 12:39 AM
If he gets another year... I betcha he wont go anywhere.

TwoHandJam
02-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Can anyone translate Luddeneese?

Kori...I think this is your specialty.
The article wasn't written by Ludden.

whottt
02-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Ludden is right...the Spurs don't need him like the Suns do...but then, that's the same thing as needing him....

whottt
02-22-2008, 12:41 AM

I know...but it's written in Luddenese nontheless...he's been doing that a lot lately.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
CIA Barry???
CIA Barry will sign with the Lakers or Suns, meet us in playoffs and shoot brick after brick in the 4th quarter, winking at our Spurs bench in a pivotal game 5.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-22-2008, 12:45 AM
:lol

nkdlunch
02-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Thats not a good sign.

CIA POP on full swing

Quasar
02-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Barry certainly doesn't owe the Spurs anything, but I hope he decides to return and I think he will.

+1

SouthernFried
02-22-2008, 06:07 AM
I'd love to see Barry back here. He fits here, he's loved here...and H.E.B. commercials aren't worth watching without him.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Someone would have to tell Twohandjam
:reading

whottt
02-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Ludden used to be the Spurs insider/beat writer(he still might be an insider), but Harvey, not McDonald(the new beat writer) is the guy who seems to have taken on that role locally this season, and he's been pretty accurate about a lot of things going down this season.

It's pretty obvious from other articles Harvey has written recently that he probably has a damn good idea, if not outright knowledge what the Spurs intentions are with Barry and I'm just wondering if anyone can pick up on those details in this article.

polandprzem
02-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Umm nobody is mentioning the loss of Francisco Elson!

He was traded as well ...

Ocotillo
02-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Will be playing in Europe in 2008/09/

timvp
02-22-2008, 07:46 AM
There are a couple things that point to this being a Stackhouse type deal:

1) The Spurs gave the Sonics money ... the approximate amount of money they had to eat when waiving Barry.

2) Why would the Sonics waive Barry? He's one of the franchise's most beloved players in history. The Sonics might be stuck in Seattle until 2010. Barry would help sell tickets and would be someone the fans could relate too. Waiving Elson made more sense -- especially since the Sonics have three 22-year-old centers to give time to down the stretch of the season.

I think the Spurs setup the deal to where it'd be possible to get Barry back. However, I'm guessing they didn't come to a complete 100% agreement with Barry because such an agreement likely couldn't survive scrutiny if the NBA probed.

Now is the time that Barry can transform himself from a popular Spur to one of the most popular Spurs of all-time. He'd be hailed as a hero for brushing off the other suitors and coming back to San Antonio.

We'll see what he does. If he's still a free agent a week from now, that'll be a good sign for the Spurs.

smeagol
02-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Barry will be back. He likes playing with El Contusion

boutons_
02-22-2008, 08:06 AM
"hero for brushing off the other suitors"

.... for 30 days, and only after no other teams claims him during the 48-hour waiver period.

If Brent did come back for 1-year, could he demand a no-trade clause? Otherwise, he's trade-dumpable again next season.

spurscenter
02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
u guys are funny with the CIA this and CIA that. LOL

buck harvey is a great writer, wish he was writing nationally about the NBA.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
We all know the short answer here. $ could divert Barry from a return to SA. The Spurs offer continuity, familiarity, and a shot at a 3rd ring for him. Of course, he may not feel like returning due to him having been on the trade block for the last couple of years. If he goes to a new team, that's new plays, new players to get used to for a couple of months.

How much $ is really available for Barry? He's a 36 year old guard with a serious calf injury. I could see Dallas making him a sizable offer just to screw with the Spurs.

Also, this is just a hypothetical, but say the Spurs told Barry before the trade that 'we may trade you and if you are waived/bought out then we'd really like to have you back'. Does that constitute a "pre-arranged" deal?

The Spurs sent $ to the Sonics to cover the cost of buying out/eating Barry's contract. Presumably, the Spurs knew that the Sonics intended to end Barry's contract ASAP. The league knows this, as it approved the trade. Seattle will probably end up with a little payroll reduction out of this deal, and a 1st round pick for a player who obviously did not fit into their long term rebuilding plans.

At the end of the pontificating, if a player is traded, is waived by his new team, and both he and his team decide they want each other back, well, I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly.

Just don't talk about it in public.

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
We all know the short answer here. $ could divert Barry from a return to SA. The Spurs offer continuity, familiarity, and a shot at a 3rd ring for him. Of course, he may not feel like returning due to him having been on the trade block for the last couple of years. If he goes to a new team, that's new plays, new players to get used to for a couple of months

Spurs can offer him the most money of anyone.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Spurs can offer him the most money of anyone.

How so? Dallas still has their MLE available, I believe.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Also, now that the Spurs are under the lux tax threshold I don't see them offering him more than the pro-rated minimum for the remainder of the season.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think that Spurs have send cash to Sonics.
Ludden spoke about cash in one of his article but in the other ones, there is no mention of cash. The official wording of the trade don't include "cash consideration".
http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't think that Spurs have send cash to Sonics.
Ludden spoke about cash in one of his article but in the other ones, there is no mention of cash. The official wording of the trade don't include "cash consideration".
http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html

Hmmm. Oh well. It's up to Barry's new team to decide what to do with him. Apparently they have decided to waive him. So now any team that can claim him is free to do so. After that, he will be free to negotiate with any team and join them immediately, save for the Spurs. If at the end of all of this he ends up with the Spurs then I don't see the problem.

rasho8
02-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I want Barry back.. I was telling Angel I hope its a Stupidhouse type of set up. Barry gets a month off to get healthy, he works out a bit and then resigns with us for the repeat and next year with a no trade so he can retire afterwards.

Good stuff. And a healthy Barry is a great thing for us, spreads the floor better.

travis2
02-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Also, this is just a hypothetical, but say the Spurs told Barry before the trade that 'we may trade you and if you are waived/bought out then we'd really like to have you back'. Does that constitute a "pre-arranged" deal?

Hypothetically no. There is no agreement, merely a voicing of realities (possibly being traded) and desires (like to have him back). Nothing is signed, no details are given, no dollar amounts are discussed. And since the player in question is still on the payroll of the original team at the time of this hypothetical conversation, tampering is not an issue either.

VaSpursFan
02-22-2008, 09:15 AM
i believe he'll be back. i'd be shocked if he doesn't return.

Xolotl
02-22-2008, 09:25 AM

I hope the laundry and toilets get clean now that hes gone :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
hey but barry can still sign 10 day contracts right?

after 3 10 day contracts with any team of his choice

bam, sign with the spurs

spursfan09
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Where are the HEB sponsored posters that say "Come back Brent!"

Worked with Tim, should work with Barry. I think he loves HEB.

703 Spurz
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Thats not a good sign.

What, he should've enjoyed being traded?

MoSpur
02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I hope he comes back. I know its selfish of us to say, comeback and if necessary take less money, but Barry is a natural fit here in San Antonio. Not just on this team, but in the community.

ancestron
02-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Come back Mango Tree!

LoveMySpurs
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Never mind all the political pep rallies- we need to have a 'Come Back Brent' rally with placards sponsored by HEB. Love the guy's down to earth persona and team spirit. Not to mention his ability to hit some impressive 3's....

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
With the way everyone hates the Spurs...

If Barry comes back, there WILL be a Congressional Hearing.

G-Nob
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes He Can!

MajorMike
02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I honestly think it is already a done deal he will be back. Pop is doing it to give the big middle finger to Memphis/LA, Boston/Minne and Dallas/NJ for the crap deals and under the table, you pat my back I'll pat yours, deals that were done or discussed. The Sonics are making major moves (with friends RC and Danny Ferry) to have more cap flexibilty while losing nothing. They are a couple years away, aren't going anywhere this year and Thomas is not part of the long term plan. Create some room for next year; help out a buddy while you help yourself out.

This is the only deal in the west that didn't deal with superstars or complaints, yet everyone agrees it was quite possibly the best or 2nd best deal done when you consider the contenders. I think Barry will be given a 1-year no trade deal for next year and sign for the rest of this year at the vet min. We might even still have an exemption he can use. He's got the cash, he got bought out, vet min is still good change and his wife and kids love SA. His idea of a good time is to help out a team as best he can and by doing all this he is the biggest helper of all. When he takes a vet min contract or exemption his help will be complete and he will end his career after next season at almost 38 years old.

ploto
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Some team will offer Brent a deal that extends beyond this season, and he will take it. Some teams even still have their MLE.

My Buckese translation- he is preparing fans for the possibility that Brent will not come back to SA and is telling them in advance why. There is something to be said for being someplace that really wants you and has not tried to trade you for 2 years.

ploto
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
It would cost a team to pick up Barry off waivers just the pro-rated amount for the rest of this season. There are teams with MLE left-- can't they pick him up off waivers before anyone even has a chance to go after him?

easjer
02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
How much $ is really available for Barry? He's a 36 year old guard with a serious calf injury. I could see Dallas making him a sizable offer just to screw with the Spurs.

According the Houston Chronicle - the Spurs have their full MLE, more than the other obvious contenders can offer. Additionally, see the quote below:

Additionally, the trade takes San Antonio under the luxury tax line. In fact, here's the really crafty part: They're now just enough under that they can sign a veteran free agent for the prorated league minimum and still avoid the tax. Somebody like, I don't know ... Brent Barry? Grade: A-

Well, first, prove that conversation took place. Second, prove that that conversation constitutes more than a hint or a wishful thought.

Collusion may be suspected, but the genius move here was placing him on waivers before March. Any team under the cap has a chance at him, and any team has a chance at him in FA. No one can argue anything if they pass him up on waivers.

Some team will offer Brent a deal that extends beyond this season, and he will take it. Some teams even still have their MLE.

Yes, but not many of those teams have the roster space or the cap space.

It would cost a team to pick up Barry off waivers just the pro-rated amount for the rest of this season. There are teams with MLE left-- can't they pick him up off waivers before anyone even has a chance to go after him?

Not entirely true. You have to have the cap space to absorb his entire salary, and while they would only pay the portion of the salary remaining to him, the entire salary is counted against the cap space. So the only teams under the cap who can pick him up off waivers are Memphis and Atlanta. Pheonix could use their trade exception to nab him, but it would cost them between $7 and $8 million to do so. So they'll wait for free agency and hope they can get him for a mere $2-3 million (salary plus lux tax).

See the snippet from the Hollinger article.

ploto
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
You still do not understand-- the Spurs have MLE available but they will NOT spend it on Barry to go back over the luxury tax threshold. They will only offer the minimum. Period. Having MLE does not matter where the Spurs are concerned.

Dallas on the other hand has its entire MLE and may not care about paying tax if for no other reason that to keep Barry from joining the Spurs.

ploto
02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, but not many of those teams have the roster space or the cap space....

You do not need cap space when you have the MLE. When Brent clears- assuming he clears- Dallas can offer him a contract worth the full MLE for a number of years if they want to even though they are already over the luxury tax threshold.

Everone knows the Spurs will offer the minimum.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah - thats one big reason I don't think its some slam dunk he's returning. If I'm Barry, I want more than one year on my contract coming off an injury. I'm not sure if I want more than the vet minimum or if anyone is going to throw an MLE deal at me (I really doubt anyone is desprate enough to do that) but I consider it if someone does. Thats a ton of money.

Anyway, I know Ploto is just trolling like the annoying bitch she is, but she's not entirely wrong.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't see any reason for the Spurs not to give Barry a two year deal if it's the minimum -- even if they end up waiving him next season. They are nowhere close to the tax threshold for 08-09.

pad300
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't see any reason for the Spurs not to give Barry a two year deal if it's the minimum -- even if they end up waiving him next season. They are nowhere close to the tax threshold for 08-09.

Seconded, as I have said in another thread. I would have NO problem with FO offering him a 3 year deal at the vet min. That would be the remainder of this year 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10. Which would line up perfectly with the 2010 plan. Even if we end up using him as a 12th man, we are not paying a lot. He's a good team/locker room guy. He's never going to forget how to shoot, and his handle/passing/BBIQ will also stay around. I suspect he would be a good mentor for any younger players we bring in. Hell, if he asked, I'd even give him a no-trade clause on a vet min deal...

whottt
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Barry won't go to the Mavs...I'm telling ya'll...he doesn't like Stackhouse.

I don't think he's determined to get a multi-year contract either...he was talking about retiring after this season earlier in the year.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
LOL Of course Spurs Fan doesn't have a problem with them offering him 2 years. Who gives a shit about what Spurs Fan has problems with though? Spurs Fan does not make front office decisions. The Spurs have been tight with the money before.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Barry won't go to the Mavs...I'm telling ya'll...he doesn't like Stackhouse.

I don't think he's determined to get a multi-year contract either...he was talking about retiring after this season earlier in the year.Link please?

As long as he's healthy why would he hang it up? He was having a great season.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
LOL Of course Spurs Fan doesn't have a problem with them offering him 2 years. Who gives a shit about what Spurs Fan has problems with though? Spurs Fan does not make front office decisions. The Spurs have been tight with the money before.But they don't really have to be next season. They're like $15 million under the tax threshold for 08-09. The tax is the #1 reason the Spurs go cheap, and it currently just isn't an issue for next season.

whottt
02-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Link please?

Hmmm...it was in some article early in the season...he didn't flat out say he was retiring, but he definitely was considering it.

As for the Stackhouse thing...just watch them when they are matched up against each other...these two dudes do not like each other. Plus they almost got into a fight in 04/05.

As long as he's healthy why would he hang it up? He was having a great season.

Because he's done everything he wanted to do...he said if he wasn't playing basketball he'd be on a beach somewhere surfing...I think that's what he wants to do.

I'm not saying a big multi year deal won't change his mind...but I don't think a multi year deal for the minimum is going to be a big incentive to keep him from retiring.

He wants to surf...

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess we'll see what he really wants to do. I always figured him for a big passion of the game guy. Those guys hate to walk away.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I think that Spurs Have a pre-arrangement with Barry.
Barry being waived has been announced by Ludden at the same time that the trade.
Spurs have likely ask Sonics to waive Barry and if they have asked it, it's because they knew that they would re-sign Barry.

For Barry, this trade will allow him to make an extra $200K without any harm. It's a win-win situation.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
And I think we will know soon where Barry will go.
Barry will clear waivers on Monday, after that he will be free to talk to teams. While Spurs can't sign him before 30 days, they still can talk to him and Barry can said next week that he will re-sign with Spurs.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
If he does resign with the Spurs expect a rule change this offseason to make it where a traded player can not resign with a team for the remainder of the regular season after this and the stackhouse incident.

spursfan09
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
If he does resign with the Spurs expect a rule change this offseason to make it where a traded player can not resign with a team for the remainder of the regular season after this and the stackhouse incident.

:lol
Or Trade commitees?

whottt
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I guess we'll see what he really wants to do. I always figured him for a big passion of the game guy. Those guys hate to walk away.

I don't think he's a big passion for the game guy...he likes it, it's in his blood. But it's pretty obvious he'd rather have a good time and showboat than play D and be locked in a grind it out struggle...it just happens he can be pretty toughminded(as evidenced by Pop not breaking him and his knack for big shots) if he has to be and was smart enough to figure out the Spurs were the best place to get a ring.

Like he said when he came here...he just wanted to Steve Kerr it for few years...didn't say anything about Bruce Bowening it.

If he was an intense competitor type he'd be a lot more popular with Spur fans...he mainly does the intensity thing when he's pissed off because he got hit or something.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Dude I don't think you realize just how popular Barry IS with fans.

whottt
02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Anyway...back to the teams...

He doesn't like Dallas.
Houston isn't going to win a ring.

It'll be either the Spurs, Suns or Lakers...maybe the Celtics or someone like that...and unless someone throws a huge deal at him it'll be with a team that has a strong chance chance of winning a title.

And barring a huge contract...he just might retire after this season.

whottt
02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Dude I don't think you realize just how popular Barry IS with fans.

Yeah lol...he seems to be a lot more popular now....

wildchild
02-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Barry wasn't particularly happy when he heard he'd been traded Wednesday

Maybe that's the reason why the guys weren't in the best frame of mind for playing yesterday. That's hardly think but maybe Brent feels the FO's guys don't respect him. He was injured playing for us and he didn't expect the trade.

Besides, Barry can't leave. Who would Fab Oberto play guitar with?

one reason that explain why Fab seems lost. :lol

BRING BARRY!

hater
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyway...back to the teams...

He doesn't like Dallas.
Houston isn't going to win a ring.

It'll be either the Spurs, Suns or Lakers...maybe the Celtics or someone like that...and unless someone throws a huge deal at him it'll be with a team that has a strong chance chance of winning a title.

And barring a huge contract...he just might retire after this season.

he already won 2 rings. He will probably do what's best for his family. and going to LA or Phoenix might be it. or if Houston offers good $.

I don't think he's that hungry to get one more ring anymore.

wildchild
02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah lol...he seems to be a lot more popular now....

You don't know what you have until it's gone...

Fabbs
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
And I think we will know soon where Barry will go.
Barry will clear waivers on Monday, after that he will be free to talk to teams. While Spurs can't sign him before 30 days, they still can talk to him and Barry can said next week that he will re-sign with Spurs.
Bruno,
How come not until Monday. Barry was waived on Thursday, right?
48 hour waiver period. Do weekends not count and that is why not until monday?

oligarchy
02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
weekends don't count

Bruno
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
^ what he said.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
BTW, Barry clearing waivers isn't a sure thing.

Warriors have a trade exception big enough to claim him from waivers.
Getting Barry will cost them $1.7M and the loss of a big trade exception that could be usefull in the future.
We will know on Monday if they are ready to give that much for Brent.

Agloco
02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm sure HEB can entice him to come back, even if the Spurs can't.......

Capt Bringdown
02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe a v-bookie bet on whether he'll come back or not?
I got a feeling we'll be seeing him in a different uniform soon, perhaps purple and gold?
Ugh

manufor3
02-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Nice article...And I'm glad the Spurs might get a chance to show him some appreciation by sending him some MLE love at a more reasonable rate.
same :tu

td4mvp21
02-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I want Barry back. He pisses me off sometimes with his defensive lapses but he's a great three point shooter and he fits in great with the system. Plus I think a lot of the guys on our team would hate to see him go.

Lebowski Brickowski
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Barry must be enjoying the delicious irony. His relationship with the Spurs FO has been completely flipped on its head (of course, the Spurs would have to first make an offer to him.) But ASSUMING he gets an offer from S.A. after 30 days (like everybody and his mom on this board is assuming), he's holding all the cards now, like Buck said.

I've always thought Pop gave Brent the Beno treatment, just not nearly as severe. But facts are facts, and Barry has been huge for us his whole time here. And I have to assume Pop realizes that while Finley offers a load in his own right, Brent does the same, and the 2 parts aren't interchangeable.

Anyway -- IF Brent comes back (*knocks on wood) it would be...............................

the Barry Bounce Part II. :smokin

SA Gunslinger
02-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I've always thought Pop gave Brent the Beno treatment, just not nearly as severe.

If you recall, Pop was giving Brent the Beno treatment right before he reinjured his calf against Miami.

clubalien
02-22-2008, 10:38 PM
best option for brent is to sign a multi year MLE deal in houston so his family can stay in texas and he gets paid to support his family

MajorMike
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
best option for brent is to sign a multi year MLE deal in houston so his family can stay in texas and he gets paid to support his family

Yeah, Spreewell let us all know how hard it was to support a family on a paltry NBA salary.

T Park
02-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Hopefully Brent comes back.

They are campaigning hard here in Houston for him.

genomefreak13
02-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Come back home baby and get your third ring!

DespЏrado
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow what a world... It must be nice to be Brent Barry right now. He is literally feeling what it is like to be the most coveted free agent on the market at a time when every team suddenly is realizing that they have room for a 30 something shooter with a good handle...Every team that couldn't make a move at the deadline now feels the added pressure to compete with every team that did make a move, and Barry is the prom queen we all want.

I mean this is Brent Barry a white kid who won the dunk contest, but is suffering from what could be a season or potentially career ending injury at this late stage...and now he is literally going to get more teams lining up to sign him than Pau Gasol ever did.

Good for you Brent. Anywhere but Phoenix or Dallas and I will wish you the best.

If you come back here you get a cookie, and maybe another ring or three.

Dex
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Yeah, because San Antonio isn't in Texas.

bigfundamental21
02-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I really hope Barry decides to wait it out and re-sign with us.