PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili saves the day: Game-winning shot, 44 points let Spurs escape Minnesota

greens
02-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Ginobili saves the day: Game-winning shot, 44 points let Spurs escape Minnesota

Web Posted: 02/22/2008 12:10 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022208.01D.BKNspurs.wolves.gamer.3898e96.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News

MINNEAPOLIS — Knowing the Spurs are an organization dedicated to secrecy, Tim Duncan swore there was a trade the defending NBA champions tried to make before Thursday's NBA-mandated deadline that you didn't hear about on sports talk radio or read about in the blogosphere.

"We tried to trade Manu, but nobody would take him," said Duncan, lowering his head so nobody could see he was about to crack up, laughing at his own joke. "So we had to keep him." :lol

What might Ginobili fetch in a trade after another monster game propelled the Spurs to a 100-99 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves at the Target Center?

For the second time in the past three games, Ginobili produced more than 40 points and made every critical play when the outcome teetered in the balance.

Would Kobe Bryant be enough to pry him away from the Spurs?

LeBron James?

We likely never will know, because Ginobili has placed himself squarely in the same untouchable class as Bryant, James or Duncan when it comes to trades.

Ginobili's latest heroics included a step-back, 16-foot jumper with 6.2 seconds left to beat a Timberwolves team that hardly played like the Western Conference's worst. His perfect jumper produced his 43rd and 44th points of the game. Only his 46-point game in a victory in Cleveland on Feb. 13 ranks as a higher-scoring game by a Spur this season.

Still, the Spurs departed Minnesota knowing they were fortunate to win. That's because Minnesota's Sebastian Telfair missed a wide-open 20-footer that would have left the Spurs with no more than two-tenths of a second.

That might have been too big a chore, even for Ginobili.

"We were fortunate to get out with a win," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They all count, so we're thrilled."

Ginobili, who had worried that the lifeless atmosphere in a half-empty arena would make it hard for the Spurs to bring the requisite "juice" to the contest, made sure he had his, especially in the second quarter.

Making all six of his 3-pointers, Ginobili scorched the Timberwolves for 22 in the period. It was the most productive quarter of the season for any Spur, surpassing the 18 he scored in the fourth quarter of a Feb. 15 victory over the Cavaliers in the final game of the rodeo road trip.

Ginobili missed his first shot, a 3-pointer launched seven minutes into the first quarter. He made his next eight, six of them from beyond the 3-point line.

"He was good tonight, wasn't he?" said Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman. "We were looking over our film at halftime, and of the six (3-point) makes, five of them were as good as we could have contested."

Ginobili called the second quarter "kind of special."

He also must think Yao Ming is "kind of tall."

"I wanted to take every shot, because they were going in," he said. "And most of them were not wide open. I wanted to blow on my hands, because I was feeling very confident."

Duncan, who recovered from his 2-for-12 shooting night in Tuesday's victory over Charlotte to score 24, with 14 rebounds, said the Spurs understood their best opportunity for victory was in Ginobili's hands. That included the final possession.

"Especially when you're struggling offensively, you love to have someone you can just give the ball to and watch him roll," Duncan said. "But he plays the right way. Even though he's scoring 40, he's making the right plays at the right time, hitting the open guys when they're there if there are double teams. You can't help but cheer for somebody like that."

Ginobili stifled the cheers of Wolves' fans with his game-winner with 6.2 seconds left. Banged hard on a drive to the basket that resulted in a turnover on the Spurs' previous possession, Ginobili said he opted for the jumper because Minnesota's Randy Foye denied another drive to the rim.

"I always try to get to the rim," he said, "but Foye was guarding me and covered my left pretty good. My counter-move is always step-back, right. I just got lucky. I took a good shot and it went in."

Princess Pimp
02-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Am I correct..?

Did I read a 100-99 Final Score against the WORST team in the WC?

You are screwed...!!

Only Ginobili, Duncan and Finley scored decently?

smeagol
02-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Am I correct..?

You are screwed...!!

Am I correct?

Are you the idiot who cannot read?

z0sa
02-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Am I correct..?

You are screwed...!!

W is a W last I checked.

Manu-of-steel
02-22-2008, 04:50 AM
That is correct, and that's our 8th win in the last 9 games. The last time i checked, you were beaten by this lowly t'wolves, am i correct?

Princess Pimp
02-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Sad but true the best player on the Spurs is Ginobili...

No one else...

Princess Pimp
02-22-2008, 04:52 AM
You can always rely on SPAM! :lol

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 04:53 AM

No one else...
If one player is the best, then no other player can possibly be the best.

You really have trouble with English, don't you?

Our Argentinian and Greek posters should be able to help you with the basics.

z0sa
02-22-2008, 04:55 AM
You can always rely on SPAM! :lol

:sleep

get something better.

Princess Pimp
02-22-2008, 04:57 AM

You get the point...

I feel sorry for Duncan (the franchise)...looks like he's done.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Since you didn't see the game, how would you know what anything "looks like"?

smeagol
02-22-2008, 05:03 AM

No one else...

Go post at LG. With you IQ, you'd fit right in.

Quasar
02-22-2008, 05:29 AM
"I always try to get to the rim," he said, "but Foye was guarding me and covered my left pretty good. My counter-move is always step-back, right. I just got lucky. I took a good shot and it went in."

Manu, you should not be revealing trade secrets!!!

Bruno
02-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Manu has been awesome lately. On his last 5 games, he is at 27/47 from downtown.

Parker said after the game "the good news is that my ankle didn't hurt me at all".
Let's hope it is the end of his ankle troubles.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
"We tried to trade Manu, but nobody would take him," said Duncan, lowering his head so nobody could see he was about to crack up, laughing at his own joke. "So we had to keep him."

Probably Manu's profile doesn't fit in many teams ... the nose's effect isn't always welcome :wakeup

z0sa
02-22-2008, 07:33 AM
"We tried to trade Manu, but nobody would take him," said Duncan, lowering his head so nobody could see he was about to crack up, laughing at his own joke. "So we had to keep him."

Probably Manu's profile doesn't fit in many teams ... the nose's effect isn't always welcome :wakeup

But he does seem to have a certain smell for the game, doesn't he.

Hemotivo
02-22-2008, 08:05 AM

:lmao

Leetonidas
02-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Am I correct..?

You are screwed...!!

Even though you're a troll, Phoenix has lost twice to that worst team.

703 Spurz
02-22-2008, 09:42 AM
You get the point...

I feel sorry for Duncan (the franchise)...looks like he's done.

If 24 pts, 14 boards and 7 assists is "done", I'm excited as hell.

Stupid cunt

honestfool84
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Am I correct..?

You are screwed...!!

Oh yeah?
At least the Spurs won.
The Suns lost to the Wolves - the WORST team in the WC.
JACKASS.
-David

hater
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM

No one else...

you are one stupid mofo

hater
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
If 24 pts, 14 boards and 7 assists is "done", I'm excited as hell.

Stupid cunt

:lol

that guy is dumbest poster on the board by far

ancestron
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
PHX fans talking shit lol.

Quasar
02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Manu should keep some mojo for the playoffs... no need going all out now, although it is true we need as many victories as we can to ensure we qualify.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
The T-Wolves have a knack for knocking out some very good teams. They nearly beat BOS twice IIRC.

The real test is when you play the Hornets again. If it's another blowout win for NOH it would be pause for concern. Can't play the Parker is injured card again, but I'm sure we'll hear the SPAM diatribe.

SAGambler
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Am I correct..?

You are screwed...!!

Dec 8, 2007 Pho 93...Minny 100

Jan 23, 2008 Pho 107..Minny 117

BTW ...Fin was in double digits

BTW...Wasn't "The Shaqman" supposed to provide "Defense"?...

:lmao :lmao .. Only gave up 130 in his first appearance. Some D. You guys missing Marion yet? :elephant :elephant :elephant

SAGambler
02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
The T-Wolves have a knack for knocking out some very good teams. They nearly beat BOS twice IIRC.

The real test is when you play the Hornets again. If it's another blowout win for NOH it would be pause for concern. Can't play the Parker is injured card again, but I'm sure we'll hear the SPAM diatribe.

Lost 2 games by a total of 3 points to the Celts. Also beat Golden State and Phoenix twice. So yeah, while they may be a celler dweller, those guys can put up points. Just don't have the experience to finish off games.

Just like that stupid, stupid flagrant on Manu. If not for that, they very well may have won last night.

Matches Malone
02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Just found the following video of last night's game in the argentinean newspaper Ole.

http://www.vxv.com/ole/DeadZone=20471.htm

Quality is not the best but it's worth watching most of his shots! :elephant

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
It's really too bad that the Spurs don't have a wing who can get it done at both ends of the court . . . . Still waiting for that "next Stephen Jackson" to fill the void at the 2 guard.

Maybe next summer.

kuato
02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Manu should keep some mojo for the playoffs... no need going all out now, although it is true we need as many victories as we can to ensure we qualify. ------------> Manu is doing what he always did, the only difference is that he is playing more minutes. More Manu minutes = More Manu points ahahaha. ChumpDumper is my english good enough ?

:p:

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-22-2008, 05:31 PM

:dizzy

Is that behind the back dribble step back guardable???