PDA

View Full Version : Houston and Brent Barry?

rasho8
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Donn know if this has been posted but.. crap.

Rockets continue looking, even after making two trades
Guards Barry, Jones on radar; Green comes home

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

With the ink barely dry on two trade deadline deals, the Rockets on Thursday began moving toward two more players they hope to add.

The Rockets plan to begin pursuit of guard Brent Barry, who was dealt to the Seattle SuperSonics on Wednesday but will be released, a person with knowledge of the Rockets' intentions said Thursday. The Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs, who included Barry in the deal that landed them Kurt Thomas, also are expected to chase Barry. The Spurs can offer the largest contract, having not spent their mid-level exception. But Barry, who is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks with a calf injury, would have to sit out 30 days before returning to the team that just traded him.

"There are several guys that look like they might shake loose," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We have the ability to offer as much as most teams, unless they kept their mid-level. We used ours this year. I think we're a pretty attractive situation. That was a big part of it.

"These deals (completed Thursday) were not contingent on that. We think these are the right deals. But the deals in combination actually created enough room in case there is someone who can help us, we can do it."

The Rockets also plan to sign former Washington and Denver guard/forward Bobby Jones to a 10-day contract. Jones was waived by the Nuggets on Jan. 7. Signing him would provide a 6-7 defender for matchups in which the Rockets would be small off the bench after trading Bonzi Wells, along with Mike James, to New Orleans for guard Bobby Jackson.

wildbill2u
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Rockets are really trying to load up. I don't know where they are vis-a-vis the salary cap or whether they'd have to let some player go if they bring someone in.

Any of you trade mavens out there know their situation?

fyatuk
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
The rockets could offer a vet min deal, that's about it. He would probably get more money waiting and coming back to the Spurs.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
We should invade Houston, I hate those rockets keep stealing our boys :makemyday

Indazone
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
We got draft picks and the ability to waive a couple of players.

timvp
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
We got draft picks and the ability to waive a couple of players.You are going to give draft picks to Barry?

Good luck with that.

hater
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
We got draft picks and the ability to waive a couple of players.

Dude, he has been waived. which means he can choose wherever he wants to go. Why would he pick Houston if he can go to Phoenix/LA or back to SA??

Matchman
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
We should invade Houston, I hate those rockets keep stealing our boys :makemyday

We got the whole NASA behind us. what do you have? the Alamo? :lol nice job fending off the mexicans, tho.

Indazone
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, we can always go back over the lux tax if the GM believes he's that valuable.

ThomasGranger
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
We got the whole NASA behind us. what do you have? the Alamo? :lol nice job fending off the mexicans, tho.

We have Tim Duncan.

Matchman
02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
We have Tim Duncan.

fo real. you guys dont need another 3-point shooter. stop driving the bidding price up :madrun

The Truth #6
02-22-2008, 10:19 AM

You're hilarious. You have a banner for the Mutombo Foundation and then you make a dumb crack about the Alamo and Mexicans.

As far as Barry and the Rockets (or Barry and the Suns) all these teams are just trying to make it difficult for the Spurs to resign him. They aren't going to sign him, they're just trying to make us spend more.

easjer
02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Rockets can't pick him up off waivers, so they have to jump into the free agency pool if he clears waivers.

Frankly there are at least 2 better teams that have expressed interest, and rumor has it LA may as well.

Top three contenders in the west - I don't see what the Rockets have to offer, particularly when the article makes it clear that the Spurs can offer the most money. Houston would have to go a really mad tear and further have to offer a lot of money (at a dollar for dollar charge) to make that happen. I don't see it.

I think Barry picks between Spurs and Suns.

easjer
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
And btw - leave Houston the fuck alone. It may home the Rockets, but there are plenty of us Spurs fans here too.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Fuck Houston. The traffic sucks and it's surrounded by East Texas trailer trash.

ploto
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
The Spurs can offer the largest contract, having not spent their mid-level exception.

No way the Spurs go back over the luxury tax threshold to resign Barry. That was one of the points of making the trade in the first place. Plus, for the record, Dallas still has its entire MLE and doesn't Houston have part of theirs?

easjer
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
The Spurs can offer the largest contract, having not spent their mid-level exception.

No way the Spurs go back over the luxury tax threshold to resign Barry. That was one of the points of making the trade in the first place. Plus, for the record, Dallas still has its entire MLE and doesn't Houston have part of theirs?

If I understood correctly last night, dumping Barry's salary has taken them under the cap, and they could up a decent amount before going over the cap and incurring lux tax penalities. If I understood correctly, the Spurs are actually in a better position financially than several other squads, like Dallas or Houston and they have more MLE available than Houston or Pheonix.

But I'll stand corrected if one of the gurus comes in and clarifies. And regardless, I'll stand by earlier prediction that the only teams really in consideration from Barry's prospective are the Suns and the Spurs and LA if they show interest (which they have not yet overtly done).

eta -
Additionally, the trade takes San Antonio under the luxury tax line. In fact, here's the really crafty part: They're now just enough under that they can sign a veteran free agent for the prorated league minimum and still avoid the tax. Somebody like, I don't know ... Brent Barry? Grade: A-

Budkin
02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Brent knows he is coming back here. It's been the plan the whole time. End of story.

ploto
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
If I understood correctly last night, dumping Barry's salary has taken them under the cap, and they could up a decent amount before going over the cap and incurring lux tax penalities. If I understood correctly, the Spurs are actually in a better position financially than several other squads, like Dallas or Houston and they have more MLE available than Houston or Pheonix.

But I'll stand corrected if one of the gurus comes in and clarifies. And regardless, I'll stand by earlier prediction that the only teams really in consideration from Barry's prospective are the Suns and the Spurs and LA if they show interest (which they have not yet overtly done).
No- the Spurs can only sign Brent for the vet's minimum and stay under the luxury cap threshhold. They can not go into their MLE money to do so and stay under it. That availability bears no interest with regards to the Spurs.

But Dallas has its enitre MLE available if they do not care about tax ramifications like the Spurs do. Spurs will only offer the minimum for sure. Another team may offer more money-- and more years.

easjer
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
No- the Spurs can only sign Brent for the vet's minimum and stay under the luxury cap threshhold. They can not go into their MLE money to do so and stay under it. That availability bears no interest with regards to the Spurs.

But Dallas has its enitre MLE available if they do not care about tax ramifications like the Spurs do. Spurs will only offer the minimum for sure. Another team may offer more money-- and more years.

Yesterday, one of the gurus showed that the Spurs could pay up to about $2 million without going over the cap, because Barry's former salary is off the books.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Argentinian Mafia is also ready to kick you asses
:p:

Bruno
02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Almost all playoffs team will look at Barry. He is a great shooter, a good locker room guy and he has championship experience.
However, the most likely case is Barry re-signing with Spurs.

Nuggets are also interested :
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/22/melo-not-upset-nuggets-passed-on-artest/

Karl pointed out that the Nuggets still could add a veteran player for the stretch run. Most intriguing would be shooting guard Brent Barry, who was traded from San Antonio to Seattle and then waived Thursday by the SuperSonics.

"I'm a Brent Barry guy," Karl said. "He's a quality player (from) a championship team. You've always got to be interested in guys like that."

Bruno
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=5856223&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Rockets Offer Barry Contract

Last Edited: Friday, 22 Feb 2008, 3:02 PM CST
Created: Friday, 22 Feb 2008, 2:48 PM CST
FOX 26 News

HOUSTON -- Within minutes of the Seattle SuperSonics releasing guard Brent Barry Friday, the Houston Rockets were on the phone with Barry's agent, Arn Tellem, offering a two-year deal.

"We are offering the maximum allowed on a two-year contract," said Daryl Morey, Rockets General Manager. "We are in full pursuit."

And not just in the figurative sense. The Rockets are literally going after Barry.

"Coach (Rick) Adelman and I plan to go to San Antonio and meet with Brent," Morey said. "We want to give him the full treatment."

Barry's father, Rick, played for the Rockets during the 1978-1979 season and is a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His brother, Jon, played for the Rockets for two years and is currently an NBA television analyst.

Brent Barry is a 13-year veteran. Including this season Barry played for the San Antonio Spurs for four years, helping them to two NBA titles. He was traded to Seattle Wednesday in the deal that sent Kurt Thomas to the Spurs. He was included to make the deal work financially and was released 48 hours later.

The Spurs would like to re-sign him. The Phoenix Suns, L.A. Lakers, and Boston Celtics have also expressed interest.

"We think Brent can be a key piece in our playoff run if we can get him," Morey said. "We think he can help us in a significant way."

The first day Barry can sign with any team is Tuesday.

spursfan09
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Stay the f--- away Houston!

hater
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
well if they really want him. take him. no sweat

ThomasGranger
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
"We are offering the maximum allowed on a two-year contract," said Daryl Morey, Rockets General Manager. "We are in full pursuit."

And not just in the figurative sense. The Rockets are literally going after Barry.

I'm picturing Barry being chased around Seattle by Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

And on a different note, wouldn't "literally going after Barry" mean that they are going behind him?

hater
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
goddam, it's just Barry.

timvp
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I'd be all for offering Barry the minimum for the rest of this year with a player option for the minimum next year too. That's basically what the Rockets are offering.

SenorSpur
02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd be all for offering Barry the minimum for the rest of this year with a player option for the minimum next year too. That's basically what the Rockets are offering.

If the Spurs do that, then have they made an early decision regarding Finley? Or are they planning on bringing both back again for yet another season?

It's a broken record to keep saying this, but at some point the Spurs need to "turn the page" and infuse 1 or 2 younger players at the swingman spot. For God sakes, they need more athleticism on this team? How long are they going to keep putting this off? Or are they going to wait until the diminishing returns are painfully obvious?

The time to infuse this talent is not when your older legs have completely run out of gas in the middle of the season.

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Hopefully Brent comes back but i don't think he will, especially if he is pissed about the trade.

Lebowski Brickowski
02-22-2008, 11:50 PM
So teams can start offering contracts before he clears waivers?

whottt
02-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I just hope Barry doesn't get wind of Scola's incredible 8 point 9 rebound performance tonight...if he does he's Houston bound no doubt. And could you blame him? 8 points and 9 rebounds doesn't happen every day.

Roxsfan
02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I just hope Barry doesn't get wind of Scola's incredible 8 point 9 rebound performance tonight...if he does he's Houston bound no doubt. And could you blame him? 8 points and 9 rebounds doesn't happen every day.

Scola>Kurt Thomas :rolleyes

whottt
02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Scola>Kurt Thomas :rolleyes

Kurt Thomas is 35 years old and on his last legs...why am I not surprised RocketFan considers that to be a huge feather in Scola's cap.

PS: Kurt Thomas is still a better defender...5 years after he's retired he'll be a better defender.

MavsHater
02-23-2008, 12:32 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=5856223&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Rockets Offer Barry Contract
Last Edited: Friday, 22 Feb 2008, 3:02 PM CST
Created: Friday, 22 Feb 2008, 2:48 PM CST
Houston Rockets logo/AP Photo
FOX 26 News

Related Items
Links
More Houston Sports News

HOUSTON -- Within minutes of the Seattle SuperSonics releasing guard Brent Barry Friday, the Houston Rockets were on the phone with Barry's agent, Arn Tellem, offering a two-year deal.

"Coach (Rick) Adelman and I plan to go to San Antonio and meet with Brent," Morey said. "We want to give him the full treatment."

Barry's father, Rick, played for the Rockets during the 1978-1979 season and is a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His brother, Jon, played for the Rockets for two years and is currently an NBA television analyst.

Brent Barry is a 13-year veteran. Including this season Barry played for the San Antonio Spurs for four years, helping them to two NBA titles. He was traded to Seattle Wednesday in the deal that sent Kurt Thomas to the Spurs. He was included to make the deal work financially and was released 48 hours later.

The Spurs would like to re-sign him. The Phoenix Suns, L.A. Lakers, and Boston Celtics have also expressed interest.

"We think Brent can be a key piece in our playoff run if we can get him," Morey said. "We think he can help us in a significant way."

The first day Barry can sign with any team is Tuesday.

coopdogg3
02-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Wonder what they mean by "maximum allowed"? MLE money? If so they are giving the full-court press for Brent. Can't imagine the Spurs even coming close to that kind of money, really couldn't blame Brent for signing with Houston if that's the case.

hater
02-23-2008, 01:41 AM
give them the finger barry

Budkin
02-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Barry is not going anywhere. He knew he was coming back here before the trade went down.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Wonder what they mean by "maximum allowed"? MLE money? If so they are giving the full-court press for Brent. Can't imagine the Spurs even coming close to that kind of money, really couldn't blame Brent for signing with Houston if that's the case.As far as I can tell, the Rockets spent the MLE on Scola and Francis, and the LLE last season on Chuck Hayes.

SenorSpur
02-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Everybody shouldn't get their hopes up. There's no guarantee that Barry will turn this offer down. In the interest of self-preservation, he probably shouldn't. Hell, the Spurs have been trying to trade him for 3 years. I'd love for him to come back too, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

whottt
02-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Everybody shouldn't get their hopes up. There's no guarantee that Barry will turn this offer down. In the interest of self-preservation, he probably shouldn't. Hell, the Spurs have been trying to trade him for 3 years. I'd love for him to come back too, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

Yeah but their offer isn't shit really...he might even be able to get better offers. If he's not going to get paid he might as well go somewhere he's getting a ring...

And um..

He's not going to accomplish that on a team with Rick Adelman and Tracy MaGrady :lmao

Even when they have the mighty Scola who I might add is capable of putting up 8 points and 9 rebounds against AS PFs.

Sense
02-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Fuck Houston. The traffic sucks and it's surrounded by East Texas trailer trash.

Lmao... I get to go to Lufkin by Houston every couple of months and I have to agree with this.

Indazone
02-23-2008, 02:44 AM
:clap Houston is like the second home to the Barry family. He can follow in Rick and Jon's footsteps and make it an even trey. 3 for 3 Barry's playing for the Rockets.