PDA

View Full Version : I'm Impressed with Presti

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Former Spurs Vice President/General Manager Sam Presti is doing a helluva job with the Sonics, building them for the future.

It's amazing the amount of moves he's made to position them for the future!:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004195063_trade221.html

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
"Seattle is expected to be at least $26 million under the projected salary cap in 2009 and is armed with six first-round picks and seven second-round choices in the next three drafts, as well as two trade exceptions totaling $5.1 million."

Wow.

timvp
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Good so far but many teams have stockpiled assets. Turning those assets into tangible pieces is another matter. It's going to be hard to woo anyone to the Sonics until they figure out where they are going to play.

fyatuk
02-22-2008, 10:12 AM
It should be noticed the trade exceptions are only good through 1 year from the date of the trade, so unless they are used for buying a young guy under contract with someone else, they aren't useful for much.

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
True.

But Presti invented the Spurs scouting database. And a lot of NBA team have bitten off that system.

honestfool84
02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
what is really pissing me off is how the lakers claim this was a rigged deal - the spurs letting go of cisco and barry and the first round pick for thomas, that is.

what them stupid close-minded fags don't realize is the spurs had no idea that the bulls/cavs/sonics were gonna make that three team and eleven player trade..
thus: the sonics had to get rid of a player or two - barry being the obvious choice because he's hurt - which leaves the door open for barry to come back to the spurs.

stupid lakers.
if there is any collusion, i think its more the lakers/grizzlies - memphis' jerry west and lakers? any coincidence?
-David

BacktoBasics
02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
A real key would be the ability to package a few of these pick together to move up in the draft for a targeted player. Yeah it'll be tough to woo a FA but with all that leverage you could really stockpile young talent for the next two years then land the key FA pieces once these guys see the forest from the trees.

MoSpur
02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I mentioned in another thread to trade R.C Buford for Sam Presti.

fyatuk
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
A real key would be the ability to package a few of these pick together to move up in the draft for a targeted player. Yeah it'll be tough to woo a FA but with all that leverage you could really stockpile young talent for the next two years then land the key FA pieces once these guys see the forest from the trees.

That's what I'm thinking. No NBA team can make use of 13 picks in 3 years, so I would expect them to use those picks and pare down to maybe 7 at most. You can build an excellent young team if you can manage to swing 2 lottery picks a year like they did last year :smokin

mathbzh
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
All those picks are fine but you can still spend 3 consecutive first round pick on centers (Swift #12, Petro #25, Sene #10) without finding a true starting center (to be fair, Petro is showing some signs of improvment).

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I think it's great to stockpile young talent, but the bottom line is that you need at least one stud and some experienced veterans to get it done in the playoffs.

Perhaps the Sonics will do as some have suggested and trade some youth for experience.

fyatuk
02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I think it's great to stockpile young talent, but the bottom line is that you need at least one stud and some experienced veterans to get it done in the playoffs.

Perhaps the Sonics will do as some have suggested and trade some youth for experience.

I imagine they will the year after next (unless the younguns evolve quicker than anticipated). By then they'll probably have at least 4 top notch prospects on the squad and should be able to parlay one into a strong verteran leader to hook up with some veteran free agrents.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
All those picks are fine but you can still spend 3 consecutive first round pick on centers (Swift #12, Petro #25, Sene #10) without finding a true starting center (to be fair, Petro is showing some signs of improvment).

True. I suspect that Presti will use some combination of the picks and cap room this summer to land some vets to start fleshing out the supporting cast around Durant and Green. What would make sense would be if they could somehow land Jermaine O'Neal.

wildbill2u
02-22-2008, 11:22 AM
"Seattle is expected to be at least $26 million under the projected salary cap in 2009 and is armed with six first-round picks and seven second-round choices in the next three drafts, as well as two trade exceptions totaling $5.1 million."

Wow.
I wonder if those 6 first rounders include this year's lottery pick situation. There's no need for the team to really bust their humps this year since they are moving anyway.

Whichever city gets this franchise is not going to be getting the usual gypsy franchise with no prospects for the future.

Assuming the Presti and company do as well with their draft picks and with Kevin Durant already on board, this could be a great young team in the future.

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I think Jermaine O'Knee, I mean, O'Neal is done.

If you think back at all the guys the Spurs targeted in 2003, Brand and O'Neal have had serious injuries. Odom is a borderline second star. Kidd is good, but Parker admittedly in better suited for this team's offense... and a lot younger.

But I digress...

It's nice to see former members of the Spurs family making waves around the league.

BacktoBasics
02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd wait on the vet FA. They need only two of all those picks to pan out into a decent player. Then after next year add some mid level role players and you have a core worth a damn.

No sense in adding expensive or even cheap vets when you can draft it up and continue to evaluate talent until something good shakes out. I'd rather see 5 rookies than 2 or 3 vets. It'll be like a year long training camp only you get to keep the most talented for bargin prices and move the rest for quality role players or addtional picks because any of those players will be precieved as "potential".

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I'd wait on the vet FA. They need only two of all those picks to pan out into a decent player. Then after next year add some mid level role players and you have a core worth a damn.

No sense in adding expensive or even cheap vets when you can draft it up and continue to evaluate talent until something good shakes out. I'd rather see 5 rookies than 2 or 3 vets. It'll be like a year long training camp only you get to keep the most talented for bargin prices and move the rest for quality role players or addtional picks because any of those players will be precieved as "potential".
You'll be as good as the Blazers with that line of thinking.

To make it to the next level, you need to fortify the youth with some savvy veterans... or at least one experienced star.

BacktoBasics
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
You'll be as good as the Blazers with that line of thinking.

To make it to the next level, you need to fortify the youth with some savvy veterans... or at least one experienced star.I'm not abandoning that thought. What I'm saying is that now isn't the time for that. The Blazers are a good example. They've got a load of mids and wings which they can either showcase or evaluate. Once next season gets going or possibly the season after they can settle on who their core team is and then start adding vet role players to fill in the holes. Either via trade of expendable wings or FA's.

Seattle has a guy in Durant that could possibly be stud talent and Green is better than people think. You get one or two more solid young players than can have an impact and then add 3 solid role players including a vet PG and then you got a team that can compete. Adding vets now doesn't make the team any better nor will draw in key FA. With all those picks they can either package and move up or draft out the ass and pick through their litter for the keepers, then finish the team out. If this team goes forward with Durant and Green and adds two more solid pieces they'll have no problem getting attention from high quality FA's. Timing is all I'm saying. Evaluate hot young talent now and then proceed to go after the savvy vets.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I think Jermaine O'Knee, I mean, O'Neal is done.

If you think back at all the guys the Spurs targeted in 2003, Brand and O'Neal have had serious injuries. Odom is a borderline second star. Kidd is good, but Parker admittedly in better suited for this team's offense... and a lot younger.

But I digress...

It's nice to see former members of the Spurs family making waves around the league.

So get him on the cheap. He's not that bad and when you look at bigmen in the NBA you could do worse. His contract ends in 2 years. Seattle needs a bigman to anchor the post with Durant and Green on the wings. They are evaluating their young bigs now which of course was their public rationale for the trade. If he isn't able to perform then you continue to pick up lottery picks.

MrChug
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Re: I'm Impressed with Presti

Doesn't that mean you're imPRESTi???

That was too easy...this thread has been open for 20 posts and no one got it. So much it's not even witty anymore. :(

ploto
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Sam is probably the smartest person ever to work for the Spurs.

Budkin
02-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Good so far but many teams have stockpiled assets. Turning those assets into tangible pieces is another matter. It's going to be hard to woo anyone to the Sonics until they figure out where they are going to play.

Do you really think they'll have trouble getting guys to come play with Durant?

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Did we have trouble getting guys to come play with Duncan?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Doesn't that mean you're imPRESTi???

:lol Nice!

StoneBuddha
02-22-2008, 12:42 PM

Actually, they might. In this day and age, players like to get touches. Durant isn't a facilitator. At this point, he looks like a volume shooter.

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, they might. In this day and age, players like to get touches. Durant isn't a facilitator. At this point, he looks like a volume shooter.
And he needs to add about 25 lbs. of muscle.

Ocotillo
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Your are correct sir when it comes to free agents. If we think it's tough getting NBA free agents to come to San Antonio, what do you think it will be like getting them to come to Oklahoma City.

On the other hand, if he doens't blow the money on free agents, he will have cap room to take back bigger salaries in trades. Presti should be smart enough to know what are albatross salaries and what are acceptable role player type salaries to take on to place around his young guns.

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
A friend of mine said that Seattle's motivation is also to make the team as cheap as possible for the long-anticipated move to another city.

fyatuk
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
A friend of mine said that Seattle's motivation is also to make the team as cheap as possible for the long-anticipated move to another city.

Especially if they lose their case and have to finish out the lease in Seattle. 2 years of crap angry crowds can cost a lot of money.

CaptainLate
02-22-2008, 02:04 PM
True. I suspect that Presti will use some combination of the picks and cap room this summer to land some vets to start fleshing out the supporting cast around Durant and Green. What would make sense would be if they could somehow land Jermaine O'Neal.

Who wants to live in OKC? :dizzy

CaptainLate
02-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Durant will want to come back to Texas, not OKC. Is his contract up in 2010?

ducks
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
humm boozer sure as hell wanted to leave little james

Ghost Writer
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
humm boozer sure as hell wanted to leave little james
That was a financially-motivated decision and also had to do with their style of play.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
That was a financially-motivated decision and also had to do with their style of play.

Boozer asked the Cavs to make him an unrestricted free agent and, reportedly, agreed to take their MLE once he was eligible to do so. He then got a much bigger offer from Utah and spurned the Cavs.

I think Presti has done an excellent job with the Sonics, as I think most Spurs fans thought he would. I will say that it's a lot easier to make lots of trades and do lots of reshuffling when your club is in full-on rebuilding mode instead of feeling pressure to compete for titles every year, when you've got a few older guys who have useful skills and tradeable deals on a club that should be filled with young guys and expiring contracts, and when your ownership is pressuring you to tilt the finances in a favorable direction.

With that said, it seems obvious that in working in that atmosphere, Presti has done a fantastic job giving the Sonics some very good opportunities for growth in the near future.