PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Playoffs Spurs vs Lakers - Who wins ?

superfedja
02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
If the Spurs meet the Lakers in the playoffs, who do you think will win ?

In how many games will they win?

Why will they win ?

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Lakers in 7.

Media and refs want them to move on.

The greatest season in the history of the NBA and Spurs get to finals...again?

I doubt it.

phyzik
02-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Spurs in 6

Gasol is soft, duncan owns him.

Let Kurt Thomas work on the wonder kid.

Fabbs
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
The reffing will reach 2002s robbery of Lakers over Kings Gm 6 level.

Thus I'm hoping the Spurs don't have to face the Collusionists w Zebras in hand.

ATXSPUR
02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Spurs win in 6. The refs try their hardest to give it to the lakers but as talented as the lakers are the Spurs are too good right now to lose 4 in 7 to them. Gasol won't be able to provide the defense needed in clutch time and Bynum will make inexperienced young player mistakes down the stretch.

The two games the Lakers win will be the ones where Kobe goes beserk for 30+

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
by this assumption why watch the rest of the season or the playoffs?

I guess we call pray for next year :sleep

Because there is still a chance we avoid the Lakers, Suns, Mavs all the way until the WCF and anything can happen.

If it were all about ratings, Amare would not have gotten suspended last year...but I am just too cynical. :(

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Let's redo this thread after Bynum gets back and integrated with the Lakers.

hater
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
if Duncan, Manu and Parker all play at their highest level. Lakers don't have a chance.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
if Duncan, Manu and Parker all play at their highest level. Lakers don't have a chance.

I just don't get how you can even make a statement like this. We haven't even played a game yet with the new rosters.

hater
02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I just don't get how you can even make a statement like this. We haven't even played a game yet with the new rosters.

The point of this thread is to make a prediction and that is my prediction. If Parker struggles, or duncan struggles, Lakers have a damn good chance.

But if they don't. they will keep our offense going and our defense would just be too much for Lakers. we have plenty bodies to throw at Gasol and Kobe.

what defensive stoppers do Lakers have besides Kobe and maybe Bynum??

none

adidas11
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Lakers in 5 or 6. Of course, I am a little biased in my opinion. :)

phyzik
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Lakers in 5 or 6. Of course, I am a little biased in my opinion. :)

Its a good thing your opinions are wrong then.... :spin :drunk

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
7 games and I'll put the Lakers for the win.

It will all depend on health though.
If the Lakers make it to the WCF and play the Spurs and the spurs win, than there is no shame in that and that would still be a successful season for the Lakeshow.

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Its a good thing your opinions are wrong then.... :spin :drunk

how can an opinion be wrong per say.......

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM
The Spur's OFFENSE is the least of our worries. They struggle to even put 90 pts on the board these days.

If Bynum integrates well with the Lakers then the Spurs don't have a chance IMHO. The athleticism, length, and quickness of our starting 5 will be too much for the Spurs to counter. This team will have a more balanced offense than the '00 3-peat Lakers. You can't double team Kobe, Gasol, or Bynum without someone being wide open. And if you think man coverage on Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum is going to work you're fooling yourselves. This is all speculation of course, but Bynum anchoring our defense and being such a monstrous presence in the paint opens up so many options for us on offense it will be very tough to stop.

oligarchy
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM

per se

Slinkyman
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM
won't happen since lakers won't make it out of first round... again.

oligarchy
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
The Spur's OFFENSE is the least of our worries. They struggle to even put 90 pts on the board these days.

If Bynum integrates well with the Lakers then the Spurs don't have a chance IMHO. The athleticism, length, and quickness of our starting 5 will be too much for the Spurs to counter. This team will have a more balanced offense than the '00 3-peat Lakers. You can't double team Kobe, Gasol, or Bynum without someone being wide open. And if you think man coverage on Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum is going to work you're fooling yourselves. This is all speculation of course, but Bynum anchoring our defense and being such a monstrous presence in the paint opens up so many options for us on offense it will be very tough to stop.

You should have just said OFFENSE and DEFENSE is the least of your worry. I mean, it is impossible for Duncan to guard Bynum or Gasol, and it's impossible for Thomas to guard either. As well, it's impossible for Horry or Oberto to guard either. I mean, the spurs are in a world of hurt. I guess that's good enough for me. /thread

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Spurs in 6 those lakershit didn't learn anything

ElNono
02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
4-0 Spurs. It's a clean sweep bitches!

hater
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
This team will have a more balanced offense than the '00 3-peat Lakers.

:lmao

2Cleva
02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
by this assumption why watch the rest of the season or the playoffs?

I guess we call pray for next year :sleep

You want a prediction and one gives one and you say "why watch"?

Wouldn't the same hold true if someone picks the Spurs.

Talk about not liking what you ask for....

ElNono
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
What will be extremely nice about a series like this one is to listen to the 'experts' like Stephen A Smith, Greg Anthony, etc spewing bullshit before the first game, and once the series is over and the Spurs win, start bitching how Gasol is soft, Bynum is inexperienced and Kobe needs more help. I'm already rejoicing...

phyzik
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

The same way if someones opinion was that the world was flat...

Or that the sun revolves around the earth...

Or that the lakers will beat the Spurs...

simple, really. :reading

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I think most smart experts are giving the Spurs the benefit of the doubt right now. They get a lot more slack than any other team in the NBA.

urunobili
02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Radmanovich and Farmar are match ups nightmares.. i haven;t seen a roster this good since ourselves in 2003... it's a scary picture guys... Spurs in 7 with a Manu miracle

SouthernFried
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
If both teams are "on," and healthy...I go for the Spurs. Mainly cuz when Manu is "on"...he's as good, or better than Kobe...and I'll take Duncan over Gasol, and Parker over Fisher. Of course, it then would depend on Bynum putting up some huge numbers. He's damn good, but we'll see how good in playoff time.

Manu is the x-factor in this. If he's not "on"...then it's anyone's guess.

Oh, and if Bowen shows up...

2Cleva
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
You know those old men can't get it up in back to back nights or years.

LA in 6.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
If both teams are "on," and healthy...I go for the Spurs. Mainly cuz when Manu is "on"...he's as good, or better than Kobe...and I'll take Duncan over Gasol, and Parker over Fisher. Of course, it then would depend on Bynum putting up some huge numbers. He's damn good, but we'll see how good in playoff time.

Manu is the x-factor in this. If he's not "on"...then it's anyone's guess.

Oh, and if Bowen shows up...

NO!

2Cleva
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Mainly cuz when Manu is "on"...he's as good, or better than Kobe...

Perfect example of A - why you shouldn't do drugs and B - that ignorance IS bliss.

xtremesteven33
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
-Bowen holds Kobe to 20.5/game
-Duncan shows up Gasol by getting him in fould trouble many times
-Thomas makes a good showing
-Ginoibli has a decent showing
-Parker does good
DUNCAN,DUNCAN,DUNCAN!!!

Spurs is 5......

Next year maybe Laker fans......

ancestron
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Spurs in 5. Lakers win Game 1. Spurs wake up and destroy them, despite horrible officiating and the media's constant yammering about a possible Celtics-Lakers Finals.
Gasol is injured after playing over his head the last 20 games of the season, and Kobe's finger finally cathes up to him, with Bowen's defense not making the situation any easier. He has a career low in playoff points, and Manu sets the record for most consecutive 40+ point playoff games, Finley breaks his record of 8 threes in a playoff game, making 10, and Duncan pulls rank on Bynum down low, going for 32, 18, 6 and 6 in the clincher.
You really think that just because the NBA doesn't want the Spurs back in the Finals that will stop them? Come on, raining on media darling's parades is the Spurs specialty these days.

Joe Schmoogins
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
SPURS VS LAKERS...

Man oh man... it's gonna be such a good series. I'm not gonna talk smack about the lake show, because in all honesty, they are legit! They are scary good right now, and I for one hope to God that we meet in the playoffs. It would be a series that will probably be replayed on ESPN classic 20 years from now. I still predict a Spurs victory in 7 games... but it will be close! I can't wait.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
If the Spurs and Lakers don't face off in the playoffs I'll be very disappointed. This site is going to go nuts if it we do.

ElNono
02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I think most smart experts are giving the Spurs the benefit of the doubt right now. They get a lot more slack than any other team in the NBA.

I disagree. I think most smart experts are giving the Lakers the benefit of the doubt. What's to doubt about the 3 time champion in the last 5 years?

Xylus
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Ahhhh, the rancid stench of Spurs homerism. :dramaquee

As much as I really, really hate to say this (because I really fucking dislike the Los Angeles Lakers), the Lakers are a legitimate contender, and they will take your team to 7 games. With just Bynum anchoring the middle, they'd stand no chance against the Spurs, but the addition of Gasol is monumental. It elevates them from 1st-or-2nd round fodder, to a team that's almost a guaranteed lock to make it to the WCF.

That said, I still like the Spurs in 7 games, and I'll be rooting for your team if that's the case.

manubili
02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
If it was right now I say the Lakers in 6. Even with Manu going mental.

Come to playoff time, and the spurs in full power, spurs in 7.

phyzik
02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Perfect example of A - why you shouldn't do drugs and B - that ignorance IS bliss.

cant argue with numbers

http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/68...nu_ginobili_isn
Authored by Elliot Cole - February 18, 2008 - 1:37 pm

It’s easy to leave a guy like Manu Ginobili off of the All-Star team. He doesn't have a big media presence, he is notorious for flopping and in the collective public opinion of the San Antonio Spurs he’s buried somewhere underneath Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Eva Longoria (not literally, shame on you).

It’s also easy to say that Ginobili’s best years are behind him, or that the Spurs are struggling this year and don’t deserve a second All-Star. But then you take a look at the numbers and a paradigm shift the size of Manu’s nose smacks you in the face.

Ginobili is averaging 20.1 points a game, nothing to sneer at but modest for an All-Star shooting guard. But he also plays fewer minutes (31.1 per a game) than anyone selected for New Orleans, mostly because Popovich and the Spurs’ brass want to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Take into account his budgeted minutes, now spread out his scoring over a full game. Over the course of 48 minutes, Ginobili averages 31.2 points a game. That’s 5th in the league. Ahead of Dwyane Wade. Ahead of Western Conference starter Allen Iverson. Ahead of Nowitzki, Yao, Boozer and Roy.

Ok, so he’s a better scorer than everyone thought, especially considering that he already has two other All-Star caliber talents on his team. But the thing about Ginobili is that he does everything. Need a rebound? Manu snags an impressive 5 a game from the guard position, including a 15 board night against Toronto (per 48 his average tops Kobe and Roy). Steals? Ninth in the NBA at 2.66 over 48 minutes. Playmaking? He’s 28th in the league in assists per 48 at 7.1, a career high. And get this: only 3 non-point guards are ahead of him (Roy, Wade, and Lebron).

Think about that.. outside of the NBA’s point guards, he’s the 4th best assist guy in the league. While we’re at it that once again puts him ahead of Kobe, who has gotten buckets of media love for passing the ball more this season.

Need shooting? Ginobili is 22nd in the league in 3-point shooting. But few players mesh outside shooting with Ginobili’s ability to get to the stripe. Per 48, only 11 players get to the line more than Manu, and he doesn’t even have the long hair to draw fouls for him anymore.

Of course, Manu’s never been a numbers guy. He’s all about intangibles, up there with Kobe as one of the most competitive players in the modern era. He shoots an amazing 53% in “the clutch”, not to mention 91.9% from the free throw line when the game is tight. Need more? He’s created 22 assists in the last 5 minutes of tight games, but he’s only committed 1 passing turnover. A 22:1 assist to turnover ratio when the defense is set and the game is tight from one of the most balls-to-the-wall players in the league.

Finally, one last stat that trumps them all. When Manu Ginobili is on the bench, the Spurs have been outscored by two points this season. When he’s in the game, the Spurs have scored 250 points more than their opponents. He doesn’t fly like LeBron or have the finesse of Kobe, nor does he have the power of Pierce or the speed of Iverson. But Ginobili is in the same league as all of them, and deserved to be in New Orleans. Then again, maybe Spurs fans want him to be a little pissed off. After all, he’s only averaged 40 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 assists a game over their last 2 wins.

Matchman
02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Duncan and KThomas will completely shut down Gasol and Bynum and Kobe cant guard both Parker and Ginobili. Spurs in 5 with an Horry Dagger to toppled the Lakers

2Cleva
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
cant argue with numbers

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

When Ginobili gets into double figures in All-Star apperances, is respected as the best player in the game, and starts carrying a franchise - then he can try to stack resumes.

Ginobili is like a Lamar Odom-type player. Definitely better than LO (because of his mental game) but excels because he can play off a great player (Duncan) and doesn't have to be the main man nightly. He can do a lot of work from the shadows - he's not the one teams are gunning to stop first nightly.

Rummpd
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Spurs 4-1 easily - LAL will steal a game due to calls. LAL is very over-rated, especially defensively, and playing a cupcake schedule right now.

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Precisely, and it's almost March.

That gives the Lakers a month and half to work out rotations and solidify their chemistry. Not much time.

baseline bum
02-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Spurs in 6

honestfool84
02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
7 games and I'll put the Lakers for the win.

It will all depend on health though.
If the Lakers make it to the WCF and play the Spurs and the spurs win, than there is no shame in that and that would still be a successful season for the Lakeshow.

I always love a guy who can accept that there is a better team than his lakers!

:clap

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Spurs 4-1 easily - LAL will steal a game due to calls. LAL is very over-rated, especially defensively, and playing a cupcake schedule right now.

Don't forget Tiaggo Splitter!

BTW, we have had one of the toughest SOS in the league to date. The Lakers are #3 on the list and the Spurs are #18.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi?season=2008&sortColumn=sos

BILLYE
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM

ok, but your guys also give up over a 100 points on defense. I definitely think you guys are better than Phoenix and Dallas. New Orleans will be ousted in the semi-finals b/c of a lack of experience in playoffs (that will be the only reason too!)

Sa vs La....Spurs in 6 b/c we get stops when we need to and the young Bynum will be educated on championship-level basketball by SA. HOWEVER, LA will win championships in the near future.
i really hate to say that too....

honestfool84
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

When Ginobili gets into double figures in All-Star apperances, is respected as the best player in the game, and starts carrying a franchise - then he can try to stack resumes.

Ginobili is like a Lamar Odom-type player. Definitely better than LO (because of his mental game) but excels because he can play off a great player (Duncan) and doesn't have to be the main man nightly. He can do a lot of work from the shadows - he's not the one teams are gunning to stop first nightly.

I wouldn't say not being able to get past the first round is exactly 'carrying your team', would you?

Or, excuse me - maybe you just meant carrying your team to the first round, right?

I hate Shaq, but I love how once he leaves, the lakers can't:
A. get past the first round (2006, 2007), or
B. make the playoffs (2005)

Yeah - that's not really carrying your team.

-David

SpurOutofTownFan
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
With KT on the roster the advantage the Lakers had in the post is gone. Spurs backcourt is better overall than the Lakers. TP+Manu > Kobe

This is simplistic way to see things but I don't see the Lakers winning 4 out of 7. I think this will be spurs in 5 or 6.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Please give me something of that you are smoking. You are just delussional.

easjer
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
There is no way the series is less than 6 games, and 7 is a real possibility.

Obviously, I like the Spurs odds. To be honest though, the Lakers are currently the team I'm most concerned about in the playoffs (though Boston is concerning as well - no sense in worrying about them over the Lakers).

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
With KT on the roster the advantage the Lakers had in the post is gone. Spurs backcourt is better overall than the Lakers. TP+Manu > Kobe

This is simplistic way to see things but I don't see the Lakers winning 4 out of 7. I think this will be spurs in 5 or 6.

You're predicating all of this on the hope that the Spurs will SPAM. If that doesn't happen again this year this conversation is meaningless. The way they are playing right now they wouldn't even make it to the WCF.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Radmanovich and Farmar are match ups nightmares.. i haven;t seen a roster this good since ourselves in 2003... it's a scary picture guys... Spurs in 7 with a Manu miracle

Farmar? Check your sack.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Spurs in 6.

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I love it...keep it coming. If we meet, the Lakers got it in 7 and it will depend on HCA.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
If everyone is healthy I think the Spurs can do it in 6 or 7. Bowen on Kobe will be a battle for the ages. Kobe is going to go off in one or two games for certain, but if Bowen can force one bad game out of him that may be all the edge the Spurs need. The front court tandem of Bynum and Gasol is tough, but with Ginobili and especially Parker healthy and in attack mode I think the Spurs are going to limit either their aggression or playing time thanks to foul trouble. There won't be any easy wins for either team, but I think the Spurs get it done.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Lakers will have HCA if we meet up and that may be the difference maker. No way this series goes < 6.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Spurs in 5 or 6. Lakers won't have enough chemistry this year.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Chemistry hasn't really been an issue at all. Gasol couldn't have fit in any better, he's averaging better numbers here than he did in Memphis. The rest of the team has been playing together for 3-4 years, they know each other like a book. I suspect Bynum's integration will go smoothly as well. The sheer talent level alone will compensate for lack of experience together.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Lakers will have HCA if we meet up and that may be the difference maker. No way this series goes < 6.What it this crap? You already have the playoff seedings, Kreskin?

Dumbass.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
What it this crap? You already have the playoff seedings, Kreskin?

Dumbass.

The way things are shaping up and considering how easy the Laker's schedule is for the rest of the season I don't see how we won't have HCA over the Spurs, who seems to have a much tougher schedule.

Enough with the name-calling dude. It's childish.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah, the way things are shaping up.

You sound like mavfan when they were 5 up on the Spurs.

Only you sound even stupider with your insurmountable 0.5 game lead.

honestfool84
02-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the way things are shaping up.

You sound like mavfan when they were 5 up on the Spurs.

Only you sound even stupider with your insurmountable 0.5 game lead.

:clap

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Laker fan makes me wish Mav fan was still spamming this forum. Almost.

Brutalis
02-22-2008, 04:33 PM
We don't have to worry about the Lakers making it deep.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Last season's paper champion pimpers were at least literate.

101A
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
HCA is only relevant to pretenders.

The Lakers didn't have it the last time they took out the Spurs; the Spurs didn't have it for EITHER of their past two championships.

If your team needs it; your team isn't ready.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
You're predicating all of this on the hope that the Spurs will SPAM. If that doesn't happen again this year this conversation is meaningless. The way they are playing right now they wouldn't even make it to the WCF.

They way they were playing last year at this same time was about the same and they ended up winning it all. Against all odds.

Pundits gave credit to other teams - ESPN has been talking about the match between the lakers and suns all day long, non-stop.. It's understandable, they are flashier and more marketable.

The spurs "work in the shadows"... then they come at the right time and bite you in the ass.

Tek_XX
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM

It's probably the world champion thing.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Well if we're going to go by experience and history then the Spurs will not win it all this year because they have never repeated in the last decade despite having talented teams throughout.

Tek_XX
02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Well if we're going to go by experience and history then the Spurs will not win it all this year because they have never repeated in the last decade despite having talented teams throughout.

Ok let's go on history, Lakeshow hasn't won in 5 years, Spurs won last year.

Advantage Spurs.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
That's why the history argument is completely stupid and irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is the present. Ask the Patriots about that.

Holt's Cat
02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
lAkuz arE dA bEsTesT eVa

ancestron
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
lAkuz arE dA bEsTesT eVa

:lol

SpurOutofTownFan
02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
lAkuz arE dA bEsTesT eVa

HAHAHAHAH

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Laker fan makes me wish Mav fan was still spamming this forum. Almost.

How is D&C spamming when the fucking title of this thread has Lakers in it. Oh, and someone asked for his opinion and he is giving it to you. What more do you want. If you don't like the thread, than you know what to do. It's that simple.

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh, like I've been saying all year long. The spurs should win based on experience and talent levels, especially now with the upgrade of verteran leadership and talent in KT and DS. If they lose, then it will definitely spell trouble in Spur land. But that's just my opinion.

wildchild
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
-Bowen holds Kobe to 20.5/game
-Duncan shows up Gasol by getting him in fould trouble many times
-Thomas makes a good showing
-Ginoibli has a decent showing
-Parker does good
DUNCAN,DUNCAN,DUNCAN!!!

Spurs is 5......

Next year maybe Laker fans......

Don't forget Oberto! our starter center. I think he'll do a great job against Bynum like the last game in L.A. against Andrew.
Bynum had proved an idiot rookie against Oberto in that game. Do you remember? He was ejected.

Spurs in 6. :tu

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Everyone forgets about Odom......he plays really well in the playoffs and is a miss match. He's the x-factor for the Lakers. Can't wait until the real season starts.

pad300
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Everyone forgets about Odom......he plays really well in the playoffs and is a miss match. He's the x-factor for the Lakers. Can't wait until the real season starts.

I will say that both teams have offensive mismatches to exploit. Current lakers "optimum" (ie. the alignment that is expected to see the most floor time) 5 is

PG - Fisher
SG - Kobe
SF - Odom
PF - Gasol
C - Bynum

The Spurs reply with

PG - Parker
SG - Manu
SF - Bowen
PF - Duncan
C - Thomas (I'm guessing he takes it over Oberto for post defense vs Bynum)

On Lakers Offence, the matchups look like this

Kobe - Bowen
Gasol - Duncan
Bynum - Thomas
Odom - Manu
Fisher - Parker

I'm not sure if Odom-Manu is an exploitable mismatch. Certainly if Odom can take it into the post it might be. However, can the Lakers other players live with their shot attempts being siphoned away to Odom? Gasol - Duncan might also be exploitable. If Gasol starts operating away from the paint, Duncan might not want to follow...

On Spurs Ball, the big men look like this
Duncan - Bynum
Thomas - Gasol
but then it gets all confused.
I don't think Odom or a 36 year old Fisher can stay with Parker or Manu just on speed/quickness. And historically, Kobe has taken Bowen so he can rest some on defense. I'm pretty sure that Phil will have to do some Fancy-schmancy scheming to avoid a blowout perimeter match-up. Also, he's going to have to give Bynum significant help on D...

It's not pretty for either team defensively, but I'd say the Spurs have an advantage overall, due to their only being 1 good perimeter defender on the Lakers "optimum" starting 5. If I were Phil, I'd be contemplating moving Ariza in for Odom (when Ariza's healthy).

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Kobe will take the Manu defensive assignment. He doesn't have to carry the load offensively anymore, he'll have more energy to expend on the defensive end.

The only severe mismatch I see is Fisher on Parker. I expect Fisher to go under every screen and force Parker to hit his outside shot. I'd rather deal with that than Parker driving into the lane and creating havoc. Take away his assists and make him a scorer, it's exactly how we deal with Nash and CP3 and it works.

hsxvvd
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.hoernersburg.net/images/TourBestdpi/Town/Sweeping_Laws.JPG

pad300
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Kobe will take the Manu defensive assignment. He doesn't have to carry the load offensively anymore, he'll have more energy to expend on the defensive end.

The only severe mismatch I see is Fisher on Parker. I expect Fisher to go under every screen and force Parker to hit his outside shot. I'd rather deal with that than Parker driving into the lane and creating havoc. Take away his assists and make him a scorer, it's exactly how we deal with Nash and CP3 and it works.

Keeping Parker out of the lane (if he's healthy) is going to require more than just Fisher going under every screen. Look at the last Spurs-Lakers series. Lakers basically ignored Turkeyglue, and Nesterovich (and a lot of Bowen), and collapsed the lane (Shaq and Malone dropping to Duncan, and Kobe & George coming to help off Bowen and Turkeyglue). That's what stopped Tony's penetration. But 1) Fisher's older and slower. 2) Collapsing off Thomas is bad (Unlike Nesterovich, he can shoot that 12-18 ft jumpshot). 3 ) Manu has MUCH more stones than Turkeyglue. Collapsing off him is just a bad idea...

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I will say that both teams have offensive mismatches to exploit. Current lakers "optimum" (ie. the alignment that is expected to see the most floor time) 5 is

PG - Fisher
SG - Kobe
SF - Odom
PF - Gasol
C - Bynum

The Spurs reply with

PG - Parker
SG - Manu
SF - Bowen
PF - Duncan
C - Thomas (I'm guessing he takes it over Oberto for post defense vs Bynum)

On Lakers Offence, the matchups look like this

Kobe - Bowen
Gasol - Duncan
Bynum - Thomas
Odom - Manu
Fisher - Parker

I'm not sure if Odom-Manu is an exploitable mismatch. Certainly if Odom can take it into the post it might be. However, can the Lakers other players live with their shot attempts being siphoned away to Odom? Gasol - Duncan might also be exploitable. If Gasol starts operating away from the paint, Duncan might not want to follow...

On Spurs Ball, the big men look like this
Duncan - Bynum
Thomas - Gasol
but then it gets all confused.
I don't think Odom or a 36 year old Fisher can stay with Parker or Manu just on speed/quickness. And historically, Kobe has taken Bowen so he can rest some on defense. I'm pretty sure that Phil will have to do some Fancy-schmancy scheming to avoid a blowout perimeter match-up. Also, he's going to have to give Bynum significant help on D...

It's not pretty for either team defensively, but I'd say the Spurs have an advantage overall, due to their only being 1 good perimeter defender on the Lakers "optimum" starting 5. If I were Phil, I'd be contemplating moving Ariza in for Odom (when Ariza's healthy).

Good take....I still like the spurs overall, however it may come down to benches and I like ours better.

Starters:
Fisher
Kobe
Vlad Rad
Pao
Bynum

Farmar
Machine
Odom/Ariza
Turiaf/Walton
Dbengabus

CarefreeAZ
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Laker's are a deep team - There bench is the X factor. Lakers Win

Warlord23
02-22-2008, 06:27 PM

What the F? Ginobili in no way, shape or form is a Lamar Odom-type player. Odom is a soft, unmotivated, boneheaded, anti-clutch violet who shrinks when its time to step up. Manu is tough as nails, always takes the big shots, can step up and play other-worldly when called-upon who has won at so many levels.

Manu leads the Spurs in PPG and is a leader. Odom is the sorriest sidekick in the league. He couldn't even cut it as the 3rd option. The arrival of Gasol has made him the 4th option (you know, like Michael Finley or Damon Stoudamire on the Spurs). And even then nobody knows what he will do on a given day.

The only way people can make Odom look good is to point out his "balanced" stats in PPG, APG, RPG. But then again, Laker fans themselves have seen through this mirage. Hence the nickname "4-2-2".

pad300
02-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Good take....I still like the spurs overall, however it may come down to benches and I like ours better.

Starters:
Fisher
Kobe
Vlad Rad
Pao
Bynum

Farmar
Machine
Odom/Ariza
Turiaf/Walton
Dbengabus

Okay, I gotta ask. Who the Fuck is this "Machine" Guy. Is it "swishy" Sasha Vujacic? If so, what are they putting in the water down in LALA land? Or si that short form for something uncomplimentary like "Turnover Machine"?

CarefreeAZ
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay, I gotta ask. Who the Fuck is this "Machine" Guy. Is it "swishy" Sasha Vujacic? If so, what are they putting in the water down in LALA land? Or si that short form for something uncomplimentary like "Turnover Machine"?

In Phoenix - we like to refert to Sasha as:

Sasha VujaBITCH

or

Sasha Such A EuroBitch

Allanon
02-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Sasha "The Machine" Vujacic is a "Scoring Machine" was a nickname Stu Lantz gave him because that dude comes in and starts jacking up shots.

I've watched practically all of the Laker games this year and I've watched practically all the Spurs games this year (All the ones on League Pass)

When the Lakers had only Bynum, I thought they were already on the same level as the Spurs. With the addition of Pau, it's not even close.

Starters:
Fisher:TP > TP better +10 points, Fisher + .04 seconds
Kobe:Bruce > Bruce is a step slow this year, Kobe's a lot hungrier
Odom: Manu > This is a wash, they're both going to kill each other on opposite ends. Manu will score more, Lamar will get O Rebounds like Christmas
Pau:Timmy > Timmy has a much greater impact Offense/Defense, but Pau still gets 20 points
Bynum:Oberto > This isn't even close, Bynum was dominating everybody outside of Kevin Garnett

Bench Lakers:
The Machine, Farmar, Vladmonovic, Turiaf, Ariza, Luke Walton

Bench Spurs:
Finley, Bonner, Horry, Stoudamire, KT, Ime, JV

Machine<Finley
Vladmonovic>Bonner
Horry>Luke Walton
Farmar>Stouds>JV
Ariza>Ime
Turiaf>KT

In my opinion, it's not even close...Lakers are Long and Fast but easily play the half court game. Spurs missed out on an athletic small forward during trading season and it's gonna pay in offensive rebounds and points for Laker big men....(see last night's TWolves game as an example)

Lakers win in 5 and some games are going to be blow outs. We'll get a glimpse on April 13th.

For me it's a win-win. Lakers win great, Spurs win I'm rooting for Timmy.

callo1
02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Spurs in 6.

We all know by now that the Spurs haven't even began to get motivated yet. We see it time and time again...Spurs hit their stride headed into the playoffs. Right now the Spurs are simply ploding their way through another regular season.

I could care less if Bynum is in the lineup or not, the kid will be like a dear in the headlights against the onslaught of playoff mode TD.

Spurs get teams "best shot" every night as defending champs. Teams like the Lakers and the Hornets will not be able to rise to the challenge of playoff basketball.

Doctor J
02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Spurs in 6!

Playoff is a different season where experiences and wills and excutions could be more important than talents and skills. Spurs will own Lakers in the playoffs.

GaryJohnston
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM

You're scared to play the Spurs huh?

Spurs in 5 if the refs call the game evenly, But if they don't in an effort to get the Lakers to the next round, Spurs in 6.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll be scared of the Spurs when they stop struggling to put away garbage teams like MIN, NYK, and MIA.

dallaskd
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
The playoffs is where it's at in San Antonio. Gasol will flutter and pussy out in June leaving the Lakers with no deep playoff experience on their bench.

GaryJohnston
02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Sasha "The Machine" Vujacic is a "Scoring Machine" was a nickname Stu Lantz gave him because that dude comes in and starts jacking up shots.

I've watched practically all of the Laker games this year and I've watched practically all the Spurs games this year (All the ones on League Pass)

When the Lakers had only Bynum, I thought they were already on the same level as the Spurs. With the addition of Pau, it's not even close.

Starters:
Fisher:TP > TP better +10 points, Fisher + .04 seconds
Kobe:Bruce > Bruce is a step slow this year, Kobe's a lot hungrier
Odom: Manu > This is a wash, they're both going to kill each other on opposite ends. Manu will score more, Lamar will get O Rebounds like Christmas
Pau:Timmy > Timmy has a much greater impact Offense/Defense, but Pau still gets 20 points
Bynum:Oberto > This isn't even close, Bynum was dominating everybody outside of Kevin Garnett

Bench Lakers:
The Machine, Farmar, Vladmonovic, Turiaf, Ariza, Luke Walton

Bench Spurs:
Finley, Bonner, Horry, Stoudamire, KT, Ime, JV

Machine<Finley
Vladmonovic>Bonner
Horry>Luke Walton
Farmar>Stouds>JV
Ariza>Ime
Turiaf>KT

In my opinion, it's not even close...Lakers are Long and Fast but easily play the half court game. Spurs missed out on an athletic small forward during trading season and it's gonna pay in offensive rebounds and points for Laker big men....(see last night's TWolves game as an example)

Lakers win in 5 and some games are going to be blow outs. We'll get a glimpse on April 13th.

For me it's a win-win. Lakers win great, Spurs win I'm rooting for Timmy.

Dude, your synopsis is way off base. Lakers in 5 is about the stupidest thing you said.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't know if we can say anything definitive either way at this point. Spurs aren't playing to their potential and Bynum has not come back for the Lakers yet. We play each other next on April 13th. Let's revisit this thread then, it will have far more relevance at that point.

Anyone claiming the Spurs/Lakers win in a sweep is a stupid homer.

pad300
02-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know if we can say anything definitive either way at this point. Spurs aren't playing to their potential and Bynum has not come back for the Lakers yet. We play each other next on April 13th. Let's revisit this thread then, it will have far more relevance at that point.

Anyone claiming the Spurs/Lakers win in a sweep is a stupid homer.

Oh, I can see a Spurs sweep easy. If Kobe's finger goes out, Spurs take it in 4. I actually think that his decision not to get the surgery is one of the dumbest I have heard in a while. Theoretically you've got a weak schedule coming up (according to yourself, your SOS is #3 so far; therefore, your remaining schedule must be relatively easy.) Your're at 37 and 17. Go .500 the rest of the way, and you're at 51 wins. You should be able to do that without Kobe. That will get you into the playoffs, especially with Kobe coming back before the end of the season. Health >>>> Seeding, especially when your superstar player is concerned. As it stands, he's got 28 regular season games to get further injury accidentally, and then 4 playoff series (if you think you can go all the way) with people specifically targetting him... I'll say good luck to him, but I would not be surprised to see him missing games in the playoffs (and thereby ending the lakers season...).

Allanon
02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Dude, your synopsis is way off base. Lakers in 5 is about the stupidest thing you said.

Whatever Dude, we'll see.

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
If Manu plays anywhere close to the level he is playing at now combined with Timmy being his usual playoff self and Tony back healthy, i like the Spurs in 6.

rascal
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM
NBA finals.

Lakers vs Boston
And final tv ratings are great.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
The Spurs aren't supposed to win, are they? They never repeat and they certainly aren't the favorite. Add to that the fact that they play boring basketball and nobody likes them or watches. Talk about zero pressure.

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
NBA finals.

Lakers vs Boston
And final tv ratings are great.

Yeah that is the problem with the NBA today. 2 Mega markets better play in the finals or nobody watches. I was amazed that the ratings were so bad last year in the finals. So much for Lebron James being the darling of the league.

GaryJohnston
02-22-2008, 09:58 PM

That and the fact that you equate Manu to Odom. Give me a break!

Allanon
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Yes, your stupid mouth does need a break. Come up with some mismatches Yawn.

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Manu has been putting the ball in the hole lately at an almost Kobe like level. If Lakers fans are not scared to death of him going off on them they should be. No way they survive a big series by Manu, Timmy going for 25 and 12 a game and Tony going for 20 plus. They need to slow one of them down.

rascal
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah that is the problem with the NBA today. 2 Mega markets better play in the finals or nobody watches. I was amazed that the ratings were so bad last year in the finals. So much for Lebron James being the darling of the league.

Lebron James is great but Cleveland wasn't very good or the east for that matter last year so the matchup with th Spurs who few cared about to begin with drew little interest. The spurs also do not play what many casual fans would consider entertaining or exciting basketball. For a 4 time champion the spurs don't have much of a fan base outside of San Antonio.

This year Boston has a top team with 3 all stars and is a legitimate contender for the title. Boston and LA are also two old school nba teams with winning traditions and a large national fan base.

Allanon
02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Manu has been putting the ball in the hole lately at an almost Kobe like level. If Lakers fans are not scared to death of him going off on them they should be. No way they survive a big series by Manu, Timmy going for 25 and 12 a game and Tony going for 20 plus. They need to slow one of them down.

Manu's been a stud the last few games and really the lifeblood of the Spurs during this mini team slump. He's been filling in for both TP and Bowen.

But against the Lakers (IF) he actually guards Lamar, that will:
1) Tire out Manu trying to guard and box out a much bigger dude (6'10 Odom)
2) Lamar is getting 12-15 rebounds per game right now. With Manu boxing him out, how many more is he going to get?
3) How is Manu going to stop Lamar from getting 20 a night?

Manu's going to average 25-30 a night, Lamar will get 20 + 15 rebounds, it's a wash.

td4mvp21
02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
This is tough to call. Lakers are playing really good right now, and the Spurs are playing average. We have not played the Lakers with their full, healthy roster and vice versa.

I don't think the Lakers have anyone for Duncan. Duncan should rip Bynum to shreds-pretty much a playoff rookie vs. the greatest power forward ever? 1-on-1, Parker will own Fisher. I guess Kobe guards Ginobili, which I think Ginobili should be able to exploit. Kobe is a decent defender but you pretty much have to be a lockdown one if you want to shutdown Manu. Bowen is a given-Odom should just sit in the corner :lol. Thomas/Oberto will have to rely on their jumpers to score, they aren't good enough in the post, I think.

On the other end, I like how Parker defends Fisher, as long as he gives him no room to shoot we should be fine. Kobe is unguardable, really. When he misses, it's only because he took a bad shot. Bowen should just try to force Kobe into bad shots, there's no way he's shutting him down. Same for Udoka. Odom is the biggest mismatch for the Spurs, he should have an advantage should he decide to drive often. I don't know how Gasol faired agains the Spurs in the playoffs in 2004, so I won't really make a comment about him. I do think Duncan can lock down the paint and force him to shoot outside. As far as Bynum, I think we should put Thomas on him. Quite a bit of height difference but Thomas is smart and a big body to throw at a guy with next to nothing in playoff experience. I think Bynum will probably average around 8 and 7 against in the playoffs, but that's just a guess.

As far as benches go, the Lakers have a great one. If Ginobili is coming off the bench, so do we. I like Finley, Horry, Thomas?, Udoka and potentially Barry. Stoudemire might be a nice piece to have. I would, however, have to give the bench advantage to the Lakers.

I do think Phil will try his strategy in 2004 against us, should we meet. Hopefully the Spurs won't crumble like they did last time, and I don't think they will. Our outside shooting is VASTLY, VASTLY superior to how it was that year. I think Phil will focus the defense on Tony Parker primarily.

It's hard to make a prediction, because I don't want to sound like a homer. I think the advantage the Spurs have is that their core has been playing in the playoffs a lot longer than the Lakers' core has. Not to mention our big three > the Lakers big three, IMO. If the Spurs can play tough defense, which is what I'm counting on them to do, and get back into a good offensive flow, I think we can beat the Lakers in 6 games, with or without homecourt advantage. However, if we were to lose, I think it would take the Lakers 7 games and they would have to have homecourt advantage to do so. Should be a very tough series, and I can see it going both ways.

Texas_Ranger
02-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Spurs in 5.

m33p0
02-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Spurs in 6.

Allanon, i'm glad you're not coaching the spurs coz putting manu on odom is idiotic, crazy even. some would even call it downright ludicrous!

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Lebron James is great but Cleveland wasn't very good or the east for that matter last year so the matchup with th Spurs who few cared about to begin with drew little interest. The spurs also do not play what many casual fans would consider entertaining or exciting basketball. For a 4 time champion the spurs don't have much of a fan base outside of San Antonio.

Yeah i keep hearing that about the Spurs and everytime i do it makes less and less sense. Spurs are boring to watch. What about them makes it boring?? They have a player that runs the floor and slashes to the rim in Tony Parker. They have a player who is amazing to watch when he is HOT in Manu Ginobli, the man can do it all and they have a dominant low post player in Duncan. The only team i hear is quote "Exciting" is the Suns, who as we know play ZERO D every year and get bounced in the playoffs. The Celts and Lakers are not more exciting to watch, they don't have a specific style that is all flash and not at all mechanical. The ratings in the NBA are a leaguewide problem, not a Spurs problem. You can look it up, the only time the ratings have been very good in the post-Jordan Era was when the Lakers were in the finals and i believe they were good when the Knicks and Spurs played. Yes the big markets still bring in more viewers but too many people like to think the public just does not like the Spurs, they are boring. The problem goes deeper than that. Another example was this years all star game. Lowest ratings in history and they have gone down every year that TNT has broadcast it, look at these numbers.

All Star Game Ratings
'08 New Orleans- 4.5/6,334,000
'07 Las Vegas- 5.1/6,843,000
'06 Houston- 5.2/7,070,000
'05 Denver- 6.0/8,082,000
'04 Los Angeles- 6.2/8,190,000
'03 Atlanta- 8.2/10,829,000

The truth is most people find the NBA in general boring, the plummeting ratings year to year prove this.

td4mvp21
02-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Spurs in 6.

Allanon, i'm glad you're not coaching the spurs coz putting manu on odom is idiotic, crazy even. some would even call it downright ludicrous!

Oh I know, thankfully Pop puts Finley on him!

Allanon
02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Spurs in 6.

I know it's crazy and idiotic, but if not Manu, then who? Finley?

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Manu's been a stud the last few games and really the lifeblood of the Spurs during this mini team slump. He's been filling in for both TP and Bowen.

But against the Lakers (IF) he actually guards Lamar, that will:
1) Tire out Manu trying to guard and box out a much bigger dude (6'10 Odom)
2) Lamar is getting 12-15 rebounds per game right now. With Manu boxing him out, how many more is he going to get?
3) How is Manu going to stop Lamar from getting 20 a night?

Manu's going to average 25-30 a night, Lamar will get 20 + 15 rebounds, it's a wash.

Manu won't guard Odum the whole game though and the Spurs will be fine with that?? Timmy will take his turns as will Thomas and Oberto i am sure will get his shots as well. I am not high on Lamar at all never have been. He does not come off to me as a big game player, Manu we know what he is all about. I think the series will be very high scoring and entertaining to watch but i think overall Lakers have more ????, in the big game than the Spurs do.

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I know it's crazy and idiotic, but if not Manu, then who? Finley?

You rotate the bigs around. Timmy, Thomas and Oberto are all going to have to take turns on the Laker Bigs. Manu is not going to be in the low block with Lamar for 30 min a game.

Allanon
02-22-2008, 10:35 PM
That's the problem.

You have 7' Pau, 6'-10" Odom, 7' Bynum and 6-6" Kobe playing 30 minutes.

Who on the Spurs gets those 30 minutes and who do they guard?

MajicMan
02-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah i keep hearing that about the Spurs and everytime i do it makes less and less sense. Spurs are boring to watch. What about them makes it boring?? They have a player that runs the floor and slashes to the rim in Tony Parker. They have a player who is amazing to watch when he is HOT in Manu Ginobli, the man can do it all and they have a dominant low post player in Duncan. The only team i hear is quote "Exciting" is the Suns, who as we know play ZERO D every year and get bounced in the playoffs. The Celts and Lakers are not more exciting to watch, they don't have a specific style that is all flash and not at all mechanical. The ratings in the NBA are a leaguewide problem, not a Spurs problem. You can look it up, the only time the ratings have been very good in the post-Jordan Era was when the Lakers were in the finals and i believe they were good when the Knicks and Spurs played. Yes the big markets still bring in more viewers but too many people like to think the public just does not like the Spurs, they are boring. The problem goes deeper than that. Another example was this years all star game. Lowest ratings in history and they have gone down every year that TNT has broadcast it, look at these numbers.

All Star Game Ratings

The truth is most people find the NBA in general boring, the plummeting ratings year to year prove this.
Spurs are not that boring but their media character development is severely lacking. You could say Eva Longoria is the most popular Spur. Duncan is a funny guy but sounds majorly robotic in interviews and nobody can even understand what the hell Manu and Tony are saying half the time. Pop is as boring as mold growing in a petri dish. All those jabs and shit talking Phil does is because he's an attention whore. He knows how to work the media. That's just how it is man.

clubalien
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
spurs win.. we have two finals MVPs how many does LA have :)~

dbreiden83080
02-22-2008, 10:50 PM
That's the problem.

You have 7' Pau, 6'-10" Odom, 7' Bynum and 6-6" Kobe playing 30 minutes.

Who on the Spurs gets those 30 minutes and who do they guard?

I would not book Bynum playing 30 min a game as you don't know how he will do yet but if he does i answered your question. If we go with a starting 5 of

Timmy
Tony
Bowen
Oberto
Thomas

Just for example, you will have obviously Bowen on Kobe, Oberto, Thomas and Duncan all taking turns on Pau, Bynum and Odom. Fisher won't do much against Tony. Manu will probably be off the bench and guard Kobe a little bit, Odom a little, we'll see. You are acting as if the Spurs have a huge matchup problem here, i don't see it. Lakers can not match up with any of our big 3 at all and you'rs presents problems for us as well.

clubalien
02-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Some people call Kobe the American Manu

Allanon
02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I would not book Bynum playing 30 min a game as you don't know how he will do yet but if he does i answered your question. If we go with a starting 5 of

Timmy
Tony
Bowen
Oberto
Thomas

This starting 5 can definitely combat the Lakers 5 but that would mean you lose Manu for considerable minutes.

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
That's also a HORRIBLE offensive lineup, which is why you'll never see it on the floor.

The Lakers starting 5 is flat out more balanced on both ends of the floor. Oberto and Bowen are complete non factors on offense. We only have to worry about 3 players while the Spurs must be watchful of our entire starting 5. It's going to be a nightmare for them to try and contain us and they will no doubt have to expend more energy on defense than we will. They are also far older and less athletic than we are. The only major advantage they have on us is experience, and I question whether or not it's enough to tip the scales in their favor.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 11:57 PM
1/2 gb mothafuckas!

Warlord23
02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
All you Laker fans can pin your hopes on Lamar Odom, the underachiever of this decade, being able to match Manu's production. Good luck with that.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Since when have we pinned our hopes on Odom's offensive production? Do you even follow basketball? By bringing in Gasol it means there is LESS pressure for Odom to score. He can go back to what he does best...setting up teammates, rebounding, and sharing the ball.

We have the #3 offense in the league, we get our production from just about everyone. 8 players on the team are now posting career high FG% numbers. We are almost undefeated when Kobe scores under 20 ppg. Offense is the least of our worries, it's the defense that must shore up if we are to contend this year.

DespЏrado
02-23-2008, 12:11 AM
That's also a HORRIBLE offensive lineup, which is why you'll never see it on the floor.

The Lakers starting 5 is flat out more balanced on both ends of the floor. Oberto and Bowen are complete non factors on offense. We only have to worry about 3 players while the Spurs must be watchful of our entire starting 5. It's going to be a nightmare for them to try and contain us and they will no doubt have to expend more energy on defense than we will. They are also far older and less athletic than we are. The only major advantage they have on us is experience, and I question whether or not it's enough to tip the scales in their favor.
The only advantage is experience? You don't seriously believe that do you? That's the only one? It's not just that we've been around the block a few times. It's that the Spurs have a championship team. It still is a championship team until we get knocked off.

And I see Udoka starting next to Bowen if we play the Lakers. Udoka is the one Spur who can handle Odom's size adavantage and can guard the post up game of either Odom or Kobe on a switch.

So I would see the Spurs with a lineup of
KT
Duncan
Udoka
Bowen
Parker

Manu and Finley are our super subs. Kobe is going to have to play a hell of a lot of minutes otherwise you aren't going to have someone to Guard Manu when he subs in. And with the 40 point games he's been dropping you are going to have to cover him well.

Spurs in 5.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Trevor Ariza should be back in time for the WCF. He can D up Manu if Kobe gets tired or in foul trouble.

Warlord23
02-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Since when have we pinned our hopes on Odom's offensive production? Do you even follow basketball? By bringing in Gasol it means there is LESS pressure for Odom to score. He can go back to what he does best...setting up teammates, rebounding, and sharing the ball.

We have the #3 offense in the league, we get our production from just about everyone. 8 players on the team are now posting career high FG% numbers. We are almost undefeated when Kobe scores under 20 ppg. Offense is the least of our worries, it's the defense that must shore up if we are to contend this year.

I was responding to your idiot fellow Laker fan who claimed that Odom and Manu were a wash.

Poor defense and the lack of cool veteran heads in pressure scenarios are the biggest obstacles for the Lakers when it comes to playing the Spurs.

Allanon
02-23-2008, 12:24 AM
I was responding to your idiot fellow Laker fan who claimed that Odom and Manu were a wash.

Poor defense and the lack of cool veteran heads in pressure scenarios are the biggest obstacles for the Lakers when it comes to playing the Spurs.

You're the idiot if you think Manu can guard Odom. And if he doesn't guard Odom, he's the odd man out of the rotation.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 12:24 AM

I agree.

amy020
02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
SPURS in 6

Warlord23
02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
You're the idiot if you think Manu can guard Odom. And if he doesn't guard Odom, he's the odd man out of the rotation.

If Odom were to take smaller defenders into the post and abuse them regiularly, he'd be a 25 PPG scorer. Remember the Spurs-Lakers game when both Duncan and Parker were out, and Manu was the only member of the big 3 out there? Pop smallballed all night, and who did the great Lamar Odom ended up abusing ..... his already poor reputation of being a passive softie.

rascal
02-23-2008, 12:29 AM

All Star Game Ratings

Agree the ratings are lower now than in the Jordan era because there are so many other options with cable/satelite tv now. But the nba is hoping for a Lakers vs Celtics showdown because they are the bigger market draws.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 12:29 AM

You know I never thought about that, they are gonna have to stick Manu on Odom if they run with Duncan, Oberto, Manu, Parker, and Bowen.

Allanon
02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
If Odom were to take smaller defenders into the post and abuse them regiularly, he'd be a 25 PPG scorer. Remember the Spurs-Lakers game when both Duncan and Parker were out, and Manu was the only member of the big 3 out there? Pop smallballed all night, and who did the great Lamar Odom ended up abusing ..... his already poor reputation of being a passive softie.

That's the old Odom who was the #2 man...as #3/#4, he's averaging something like 18 points. Spurs can no longer afford to do help defense without paying a price.

I think the Spurs have a chance with smallball against that lineup but the smallball has had little success this year.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
I think that is the biggest problem for the Spurs now. They can't play help defense without leaving someone wide open. They are gonna have to pick their poison and hope they guess right.

Holt's Cat
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Man, I hope for Laker fan's sake the Lakers beat the Spurs should they meet. The last time the Spurs beat the Lakers in the postseason Kobe raped the help a month later. What a moral quandry Laker fan faced.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 12:52 AM
spurs have ime to place on odom if odom is having a good game. in which case, manu may have to guard bryant if both pau and bynum are on the floor. those 2 will have to be handled by 2 bigs unless pop thinks gasol could be contained by a smaller player like finley (not!). however, at the end of the game, spurs need to have tony, manu and duncan to finish it. thomas or oberto will be there if the 2 laker bigs are still in the game. this leaves a choice between ime or bruce for the last spot. this will all depend on the situation whether odom is playing well or not.

however, if only pau or bynum is on the floor, the outlook for the spurs on the defensive end is much better. with that, we can predict pop will instruct the team to go to duncan early and often and have duncan force the action inside to create fouls on bynum and/or gasol. manu and tony may also be instructed to drive as often as possible as well for the same effects mention. if duncan can do that (very few will doubt that he can. such is the beauty of duncan), we may be able to see ime and bruce on the floor at the same time together with tony, manu and tim at the end. bruce will be on bryant, ime on odom.

-disclaimer-
i'm not the coach of the spurs so you can forget about throwing that shit i threw out earlier :lol

anyway, i think everyone is in agreement..... its gonna be one heck of series.

Allanon
02-23-2008, 01:02 AM
spurs have ime to place on odom if odom is having a good game. in which case, manu may have to guard bryant if both pau and bynum are on the floor. those 2 will have to be handled by 2 bigs unless pop thinks gasol could be contained by a smaller player like finley (not!). however, at the end of the game, spurs need to have tony, manu and duncan to finish it. thomas or oberto will be there if the 2 laker bigs are still in the game. this leaves a choice between ime or bruce for the last spot. this will all depend on the situation whether odom is playing well or not.

If you have Ime on Odom, he is even smaller than Manu is, I think he'll have a harder time on Odom.

however, if only pau or bynum is on the floor, the outlook for the spurs on the defensive end is much better. with that, we can predict pop will instruct the team to go to duncan early and often and have duncan force the action inside to create fouls on bynum and/or gasol. manu and tony may also be instructed to drive as often as possible as well for the same effects mention. if duncan can do that (very few will doubt that he can. such is the beauty of duncan), we may be able to see ime and bruce on the floor at the same time together with tony, manu and tim at the end. bruce will be on bryant, ime on odom.
If the Lakers don't play Pau, Bynum, Kobe and Odom together, the playing field is much more even.

anyway, i think everyone is in agreement..... its gonna be one heck of series.

To be honest, I don't want the Spurs and Lakers to matchup. You can laugh at me for being a Laker fan now since I moved here but I grew up a Twin Tower fan in Houston.

I'd much rather see Lakers vs Suns or Suns vs Spurs in the WCF.

rascal
02-23-2008, 01:03 AM
The spurs have adopted in the past a slow down offensive scheme with relatively few fast break easy transition points and used the 4 down dump it to Duncan or look for the open perimeter jump shot as top offensive options. That offensive scheme has stuck in most casual fans minds and is boring. The spurs are still not a free open run and gun high energy team and rather play defensive basketball and thats boring for most fans. Not saying that the spurs style is not successful but it is winning ugly.

Manu and parker can take it to the hole at times but generally the spurs lack athleticism as a whole as a team as compared to other teams.

The lakers won with showtime in the Magic years with a run and gun high energy team that was attractive to watch. The spurs during the nba/aba merger Gervin years were a fun run and gun high energy team. The old Hemisphere arena would go crazy.

The nature of the league has changed to more of a defensive league and that has turned into less attractive offensive play as a whole. A high flying dunk off a fast break is better than a walk it up the court, missed perimeter shot while the shot clock is winding down.

If the nba wants to bring back viewers it needs to change some rules to get it closer to how it was in the aba/nba merger days.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 01:18 AM
If you have Ime on Odom, he is even smaller than Manu is, I think he'll have a harder time on Odom.
Ime may be smaller than Manu by an inch, but Ime is stronger and heavier. Check out his arms. Ime, in my view, is the Spurs' best defender against small forwards who posts up and the ability to put it on the floor. Ime on Odom, to me, is ideal for the Spurs.

If the Lakers don't play Pau, Bynum, Kobe and Odom together, the playing field is much more even.
Hence, the need for the team to create early fouls on Pau and Bynum by going to Duncan on the post.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 01:31 AM
LOL Allanon nobody really cares about Odom. I love the guy but he is not someone the Spurs need to pay special attention to like Kobe, Pau, and Bynum.

All I know is that right now the Lakers are playing good basketball at a high level. The Spurs are not really close to the way they played last season in the playoffs. Until that changes I won't concede anything to the Spurs just because they won last year.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Until that changes I won't concede anything to the Spurs just because they won last year.
vis-a-vis :toast

Strike
02-23-2008, 01:34 AM
The Spurs are not really close to the way they played last season in the playoffs. Until that changes I won't concede anything to the Spurs just because they won last year.

It's not the playoffs yet. We all know the Spurs step it up come playoff time.

honestfool84
02-23-2008, 03:08 AM
match up problems?
hmm.

oberto/thomas on gasol - gasol obviously better, but only averages 16ppg and 8rpg; thomas averages 11 rpg

duncan on bynum - bynum is definitely overated. he won't be any monster against the spurs. duncan = top 3 greatest power forwards EVER; bynum = inexperienced playoff kid. ill give him 8ppg and 6 rpg; duncan goes for 22ppg and 12rpg

bowen or finley on odom - tied; odom goes for 14ppg and 8rpg, but finley goes for 10ppg, and bowen's defense on kobe goes beyond the call of duty.

manu on kobe - kobe will get his points, you can't deny that. he's a MONSTER, but he'll expend so much energy on trying to stop manu from getting HIS that he'll tire out towards the end of the series.

parker on fisher - are you kidding me? parker goes bazooka on fisher..

spurs in five - six if the lakers are lucky.
-David

MajicMan
02-23-2008, 03:51 AM
Man, I hope for Laker fan's sake the Lakers beat the Spurs should they meet. The last time the Spurs beat the Lakers in the postseason Kobe raped the help a month later. What a moral quandry Laker fan faced.
Playing the "rape card"? That shits old and played out like yo momma. Can you stick to basketball please?

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 04:37 AM
When we get this kid back there's gonna be a lot of crow to pass around this place. I hear he is doing jogging exercises in the pool now and will be running on the treadmill in a week and a half. Hopefully we can get him back by mid March.

http://82games.com/CSORT16.HTM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_gH72uDLkg

SouthernFried
02-23-2008, 06:25 AM
I think that is the biggest problem for the Spurs now. They can't play help defense without leaving someone wide open. They are gonna have to pick their poison and hope they guess right.

I think this is the biggest weakness the Spurs have right now (now that we've hopefully addressed our inside rebounding/defense issue.)

Everytime we try to double someone, other teams have been able to swing the ball to open shooters. It has been extremely sucessful against us. Now, when I see Oberto or Manu running to double someone, people 3 houses down can hear me screaming "NOOOOO!!!!"

I was sorta hoping other teams wouldn't notice this...wishful thinking I guess...pfffffftttttt

LA24
02-23-2008, 06:39 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_gH72uDLkg

Damn, that's what we're missing !!! Can't wait until we get Andrew back. People keep saying he's overrated, but me thinks he's way underrated.

pku47
02-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Don't forget Oberto! our starter center. I think he'll do a great job against Bynum like the last game in L.A. against Andrew.
Bynum had proved an idiot rookie against Oberto in that game. Do you remember? He was ejected.

Spurs in 6. :tu
I'd like to give all my trust to Fab
He can defend Gasol. They're both top FIBA centers.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
oberto on bynum. case closed.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Oberto will have to resort to dirty underhand tricks again if he is going to contain Bynum. If the refs decide to actually call the game fairly he could very well end up in early foul trouble. Don't forget the reason why Bynum got ejected was because Oberto was using every dirty trick in the book (i.e. pushing him in the back, holding his jersey, scratching his arms, etc.). Oberto wasn't actually able to contain Bynum, he cheated and got away with it. If you think that is a successful strategy then fine, but don't expect the refs to be sucking your cocks every game (especially in a playoff atmosphere where these things are magnified).

Bynum has height, size, and length over Oberto. If he plays smart Oberto will have no chance.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Oberto will have to resort to dirty underhand tricks again if he is going to contain Bynum. If the refs decide to actually call the game fairly he could very well end up in early foul trouble. Don't forget the reason why Bynum got ejected was because Oberto was using every dirty trick in the book (i.e. pushing him in the back, holding his jersey, scratching his arms, etc.). Oberto wasn't actually able to contain Bynum, he cheated and got away with it. If you think that is a successful strategy then fine, but don't expect the refs to be sucking your cocks every game (especially in a playoff atmosphere where these things are magnified).

Bynum has height, size, and length over Oberto. If he plays smart Oberto will have no chance.

:cry It's called being a smart defender. If you had one on your team, you'd understand.

And we won't expect the refs to be sucking our cocks every game-they'll be sucking Kobe's just like usual.

Allanon
02-23-2008, 03:41 PM
duncan on bynum - bynum is definitely overated. he won't be any monster against the spurs. duncan = top 3 greatest power forwards EVER; bynum = inexperienced playoff kid. ill give him 8ppg and 6 rpg; duncan goes for 22ppg and 12rpg
Bynum is possibly best Center in WC behind Yao, Ducan greatest power forward of all time. Both will make a huge impact on the series.

bowen or finley on odom - tied; odom goes for 14ppg and 8rpg, but finley goes for 10ppg, and bowen's defense on kobe goes beyond the call of duty.
Bowen can guard Odom but Finley can't.

You make good points on the other matchups.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
:cry It's called being a smart defender. If you had one on your team, you'd understand.

And we won't expect the refs to be sucking our cocks every game-they'll be sucking Kobe's just like usual.

If you have to rely on primarily using dirty tricks to stop someone, it's not smart defending. It's called playing with fire, and if players and coaches are making a point of this to the refs you can be assured Oberto will foul out quicker than Travis Knight.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
If you have to rely on primarily using dirty tricks to stop someone, it's not smart defending. It's called playing with fire, and if players and coaches are making a point of this to the refs you can be assured Oberto will foul out quicker than Travis Knight.

I don't understand how they are "dirty"-every post player in the game defends Duncan that way-shoves him, elbows him, tries to rattle him. Big fucking deal. He also never gets the calls for them. Ironically, sometimes he gets calls for barely any contact.

And you're right, Phil Jackson will probably bitch about it in the media.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't understand how they are "dirty"-every post player in the game defends Duncan that way-shoves him, elbows him, tries to rattle him. Big fucking deal. He also never gets the calls for them. Ironically, sometimes he gets calls for barely any contact.

And you're right, Phil Jackson will probably bitch about it in the media.

I'll just say this. That was the 1st time Bynum has ever been ejected from an NBA game, he's as level headed as they come. Oberto was doing something beyond the normal scratching and clawing that goes on in the NBA. I distinctly remember seeing Oberto push Bynum in the back while he was in mid-air going up for an alley-oop dunk. That shit is dangerous and stupid and he's very lucky the ref never saw it. If Oberto has to play Bynum straight up there really isn't anyway he can stop him.

wireonfire
02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Lakers in 5. Bynum is too athletic and big for Thomas.

The lakers are just too loaded, far more than any other team in the NBA. They are the only team I am afraid of. I wish the Rockets didn't trade away Bonzi because this year is the best chance we have to win it all. The lakers will dominate for the years to come because Bynum will develop into one of the four top centers (Yao, Howard, and Oden) soon.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I'll just say this. That was the 1st time Bynum has ever been ejected from an NBA game, he's as level headed as they come. Oberto was doing something beyond the normal scratching and clawing that goes on in the NBA. I distinctly remember seeing Oberto push Bynum in the back while he was in mid-air going up for an alley-oop dunk. That shit is dangerous and stupid and he's very lucky the ref never saw it. If Oberto has to play Bynum straight up there really isn't anyway he can stop him.

So what? He should man up and respond with his play. Duncan has to do that all the fucking time, you don't see him getting ejected. Bynum has a lot of learning to do. The Spurs will try to exploit any weakness the other team has, they are a smart team. And what you're saying is entirely opinion.
If the league thought Oberto was doing something wrong they would correct it/make an issue of it.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree Bynum shouldn't have lost his cool, but the game itself was pretty meaningless and it is not something he would ever do in the playoffs. You mean to tell me Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, and Popovich have never been thrown out of regular season games? It happens, and the good thing is we still won the game.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I agree Bynum shouldn't have lost his cool, but the game itself was pretty meaningless and it is not something he would ever do in the playoffs. You mean to tell me Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, and Popovich have never been thrown out of regular season games? It happens, and the good thing is we still won the game.

With Duncan being drawn out of the paint to guard Gasol at the high post, Oberto will have his hands full trying to keep Bynum at bay. It's going to be a tough assignment for him and not a cakewalk like you guys seem to think.

What I meant to say is that when the going gets tough, you don't usually see Duncan, or any Spur for that matter, losing their cool. They have great composure. Bynum should have held his cool. It happens, thankfully it wasn't a playoff game.

And I don't think many of us believe guarding Bynum will be a "cakewalk". We have suggested Oberto because he did good on him in the past. Like you said, Oberto pulled out some tricks against Bynum and Oberto had to work very hard to guard him. Thomas should be ok, the only thing I'm worried about with him is that he is 6'9''. He does have length and that could help.

DazedAndConfused
02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Championship experience and the ability to play calmly under duress are what may stop the Lakers from winning it all this year. The '00-03 Laker team had to go through hellish battles to get to the top, sans the 2001 team. We had to overcome a 15+ pt 4th quarter lead against POR in the '00 WCF, we beat the Kings off some very timely Horry 3pt shots, beating the Spurs with the .4 second shot. I question whether our young squad has what it takes to make those kind of plays and perform under those situations. This year may not be the year.

LakeShow
02-24-2008, 02:16 AM
If it's the WCF, The Lakers win in 5! The Spurs have never beaten a lakers team in the WCF.

Man In Black
02-24-2008, 02:25 AM
If it's the WCF, The Lakers win in 5! The Spurs have never beaten a lakers team in the WCF.

Hey did you guys already lock up HCA? :elephant

You know what's funny? ESPN saying that Kobe Bryant has had the best 12 year run on any player whose played 12 years. Why is that funny? Because Tim Duncan has played 1 less year and he's accomplished MORE than Kobe. Bow Down and Recognize who is the best player in the L on both sides of the court. :king <-Thy name is Timothy Theodore Duncan and thou shall lead a silver & black army to victory over enemy kingdoms.

LakeShow
02-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey did you guys already lock up HCA? :elephant

You know what's funny? ESPN saying that Kobe Bryant has had the best 12 year run on any player whose played 12 years. Why is that funny? Because Tim Duncan has played 1 less year and he's accomplished MORE than Kobe. Bow Down and Recognize who is the best player in the L on both sides of the court. :king <-Thy name is Timothy Theodore Duncan and thou shall lead a silver & black army to victory over enemy kingdoms.

Timmie's not the most graceful player I've seen and he can't shoot freethrows (although better this season) and he won't make the pressure shots. He always over someones back for rebounds ( I guess all that whining paid off). He's good,
Goofy, but good. Kobe's better!

Man In Black
02-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Timmie's not the most graceful player I've seen and he can't shoot freethrows (although better this season) and he won't make the pressure shots. He always over someones back for rebounds ( I guess all that whining paid off). He's good,
Goofy, but good. Kobe's better!
Riddle me this?

Who's got more MVPs? Who's got more NBA Finals MVP's? All-NBA 1st teams? All-NBA D-teams? More rings?

Alright then...who is the real king?

Hey....Remember this...it could happen yet again :fro
Npouqcvkhqo
MIB is not responsible for the content provided in the video although I must admit...I find it hellaciously funny.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 02:58 AM
They play 2 completely different positions. It's a stupid comparison to make in the 1st place.

Still I don't think anyone here can argue with the fact that Kobe Bryant is the single greatest individual talent playing in the NBA today. He really has no flaws on offense or defense.

Man In Black
02-24-2008, 03:05 AM
He really has no flaws on offense or defense you say. So you're a strong proponent of his 1 against 5 mentality and his quote of, "I can score anytime I want to." Yeah....so how many series has he won as the bonafide leader of the Lackshow?

Defensively, he can play lockdown D when he wants to but for as good as he is, has he made the ALL-D team his entire career? Wasn't there a time when Laker fans were berating the shit out of him because he got lazy and just patrolled the passing lanes while letting his guy score? So tell me why does Bowen sometimes score more against Bryant since Kobe is such the great defender? Is it because he leaves Bowen wide open on corner 3's because he is patrolling again?

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 03:19 AM
He really has no flaws on offense or defense you say. So you're a strong proponent of his 1 against 5 mentality and his quote of, "I can score anytime I want to." Yeah....so how many series has he won as the bonafide leader of the Lackshow?

Defensively, he can play lockdown D when he wants to but for as good as he is, has he made the ALL-D team his entire career? Wasn't there a time when Laker fans were berating the shit out of him because he got lazy and just patrolled the passing lanes while letting his guy score? So tell me why does Bowen sometimes score more against Bryant since Kobe is such the great defender? Is it because he leaves Bowen wide open on corner 3's because he is patrolling again?

You just don't get it. I said Kobe was the best INDIVIDUAL talent. If you're going to sit here and argue with me that Kobe Bryant isn't the best player in the NBA then you are nothing more than a hater.

Since Shaq left Kobe has yet to be surrounded with anything resembling a quality supporting cast.

Starting Center - Kwame Brown
Starting PG - Smush Parker
Starting SF - Luke Walton
Starting PF - Lamar Odom

Kwame Brown is currently racking up DNP's on the Memphis Grizzlies and Smush Parker isn't even playing in the NBA anymore. Odom isn't an All-Star caliber player and Luke Walton is a bench player at best. Despite all of this he has carried the team to the playoffs twice and nearly knocked off the Suns in the playoffs. Name one other player currently playing that could do the same with that supporting cast. Kobe is the only player in the league expected to win no matter who he is playing with. You really don't want to start this argument, you will lose.

Now that Kobe finally has a quality team you are seeing the results. We are #1 in the WC and have the highest PT differential, all this without our starting Center and defensive anchor. Kobe is putting up lower scoring numbers than before and 8 Lakers are shooting a career high FG%.

Medvedenko
02-24-2008, 03:55 AM
I love the Spur fans on this board....Spurs in 5, spurs in 5.....hahahahaha. Fucking hilarious if you ask me. The Spurs should win, after all they are the best team in the league right, so why argue about it. It's funny to me that they had to upgrade their roster with Damon and KT to match up with the Lakers. I love it.

Man In Black
02-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Didn't you have to heist Gasol because you couldn't match-up with anybody real good before that?

Name one other player currently playing that could do the same with that supporting cast.
Tim Duncan. See you keep underestimating the importance of size and ball possesion.

You put Tim Duncan on that roster up there, and that team gets to the playoffs and they at least win one series.

In the 01 playoffs, yes I know, the Spurs got swept by LA, I was there but....
Leading up to the WCF debacle, this is what Tim Duncan had for a starting 5.

PF-Tim Duncan
C-David Robinson-Who was hurt and needed epidurals just to be able to play
SF-Danny Ferry-Yeah slow white guy AKA Luke Walton with size and better range
SG-Antonio Daniels-Who at that time was Smush Parker Deluxe.
PG-Terry Porter-If Dan Dickau was black and in his late 30's...He'd be old Terry Porter.
So yes, I think he could've done it. He would've needed Pop as his coach though and the style of play most definitely couldn't be the triangle because it doesn't take advantage of Tim's strengths although pieces of it could be mixed in.

Tim took that team to the WCF's eliminating Minnesota and Dallas along the way.

SA Gunslinger
02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Timmie's not the most graceful player I've seen and he can't shoot freethrows (although better this season) and he won't make the pressure shots.

So when did you begin following basketball exactly?

LakeShow
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
So when did you begin following basketball exactly?

The question should be, How long have YOU'VE been a NBA fan? I've been one Long enough to know that Duncan had a rep of not coming through when the game was win or lose in his career. After that prayer in the playoffs before .04, he got a little slack on that.

What I also know is that when the Lakers are in that situation, everyone knows where the balls going. It's in Kobe's hands and always has been, with or without Shaq.

You guys kill me with this Duncan is greater than thou talk. He has his faults. Shaq was the same way, he was never an option in that situation. I see the Spurs going to Manu now in that situation. I wonder why? I don't care what player is doing what in the game, the ball will be in Kobe's hands!

dbreiden83080
02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Riddle me this?

Who's got more MVPs? Who's got more NBA Finals MVP's? All-NBA 1st teams? All-NBA D-teams? More rings?

True but Kobe has more charges of RAPE than Timmy. :toast

Allanon
02-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Didn't you have to heist Gasol because you couldn't match-up with anybody real good before that?
No, Lakers were beating all the good teams (except Boston) prior to Bynum's injury. Lakers have only lost a few games since January 1st (immediately following Bynum's injury). They signed Gasol to replace Bynum when it became evident he'd be out 2 months or more.

In the 01 playoffs, yes I know, the Spurs got swept by LA, I was there but....
Leading up to the WCF debacle, this is what Tim Duncan had for a starting 5.

PF-Tim Duncan
C-David Robinson-Who was hurt and needed epidurals just to be able to play
SG-Antonio Daniels-Who at that time was Smush Parker Deluxe.

David Robinson is not no Kwame Brown. Even hurt, he was still one of the best Centers in the league.

Even now, Antonio Daniels is STILL alot better than Smush Parker.

And then you have a bench which had: Derek Anderson, Sean Elliot, Malik Rose (who played good minutes), Steve Kerr, Avery Johnson

td4mvp21
02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I love the Spur fans on this board....Spurs in 5, spurs in 5.....hahahahaha. Fucking hilarious if you ask me. The Spurs should win, after all they are the best team in the league right, so why argue about it. It's funny to me that they had to upgrade their roster with Damon and KT to match up with the Lakers. I love it.

All I've seen is Lakers in 5, Lakers in 6, I find that fucking hilarious as well. :rolleyes

And the Spurs got Stoudemire because Parker was injured...I don't understand why people don't seem to understand that. Kurt Thomas was aquired to match both the Suns and the Lakers, and to improve our questionable frontcourt in general. It's pretty annoying to see all the Lakers fans/trolls (not saying you are) come crawling on the board and making such bold predictions and then they criticize us for responding.

td4mvp21
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
BTW, Duncan is excellent during pressure situations. Does he make them all the time? No, but neither does Kobe. If you're talking about game-winners, no TD is not known for those, but he has made a number of them throughout his career. All I know is that if any game in the playoffs is close, with under 2 minutes to go, I and any other Spurs fans feel perfectly fine with the ball in Duncan's hands. He usually comes through in the fourth when the ball is in his hands.

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
David Robinson is not no Kwame Brown. Even hurt, he was still one of the best Centers in the league.

With a fucked up back.

Even now, Antonio Daniels is STILL alot better than Smush Parker.

And then you have a bench which had: Derek Anderson, Sean Elliot, Malik Rose (who played good minutes), Steve Kerr, Avery Johnson

Spurs didn't have Anderson for the 1st two games of that series and he was coming off a separated shoulder thanks to Juwan Howard's clothesline earlier in the playoffs. Elliott was a shell of the player he used to be as he was playing with his brother's kidney. It wasn't surprising that the Spurs weren't able to take out the Lakers until they put perimeter players on the floor who could attack the rim on their own and create their own shot (ie Parker, Ginobili, & Jackson) as well as a perimeter defender who would allow the Spurs to defend one of the Lakers' top two players 1 on 1 for large stretches of the game (Bowen).

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 03:23 PM
If the Spurs had such a great cast in 2003 then why did they blow it all up and then lose to the Lakers the following season???

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
If the Spurs had such a great cast in 2003 then why did they blow it all up and then lose to the Lakers the following season???

They blew it up? Well, Jack walked, though that was due to a little stupidity on both sides. DRob retired, which even in his physical state was still preferable to facing one of the most physical frontcourts in NBA history with Radoslav Nesterovic as your starting center.

Spurs didn't intentionally 'blow it up' after the '03 title.

Allanon
02-24-2008, 03:42 PM
With a fucked up back.

I'll still take DRob with a fucked up back any day over Kwame Brown. Shit, I'd take the Admiral right now out of retirement over Kwame.

Spurs didn't have Anderson for the 1st two games of that series and he was coming off a separated shoulder thanks to Juwan Howard's clothesline earlier in the playoffs. Elliott was a shell of the player he used to be as he was playing with his brother's kidney. It wasn't surprising that the Spurs weren't able to take out the Lakers until they put perimeter players on the floor who could attack the rim on their own and create their own shot (ie Parker, Ginobili, & Jackson) as well as a perimeter defender who would allow the Spurs to defend one of the Lakers' top two players 1 on 1 for large stretches of the game (Bowen).

Welcome to Kobe's world the last few years...1 talented player, 1 underachieving player, 1 skiing freak and the rest scrubs. Of course Timmy was gonna lose the WCF, exactly why Kobe hasn't won any playoff series.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 03:49 PM
They blew it up? Well, Jack walked, though that was due to a little stupidity on both sides. DRob retired, which even in his physical state was still preferable to facing one of the most physical frontcourts in NBA history with Radoslav Nesterovic as your starting center.

Spurs didn't intentionally 'blow it up' after the '03 title.

Blew it up was maybe the wrong choice of words. I always wondered why you let Jax go, that guy has really turned into a solid player now.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 03:51 PM
That WCF in '01 was the worst defeat of any team in WCF history. The Lakers won each game by an average of 20 pts. Clearly the Spurs had no business being in that WCF that year, and the same could be said of the '05 Lakers had they beat PHX and the Clippers that year in the playoffs.

picnroll
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Blew it up was maybe the wrong choice of words. I always wondered why you let Jax go, that guy has really turned into a solid player now.
Unlike the Lakers the Spurs have to stay under the luxury tax. Their court side seats don't go for $2000 a game.

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Spurs offered Jack 3 yrs, $10 mil that summer. He wanted 4 yrs, $24 mil, IIRC. So naturally he ends up signing with the Hawks for 1 yr, $1 mil. Of course, it worked out for him as the next summer he was able to find someone to give him $40 mil. Spurs should have budged a little with their offer, obviously.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Spurs sell out everyone home game right? Don't act like you guys are struggling to fill the seats over in SA. And you're still in Texas, which is a pretty huge sports market state.

picnroll
02-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Spurs sell out everyone home game right? Don't act like you guys are struggling to fill the seats over in SA. And you're still in Texas, which is a pretty huge sports market state.
Maybe you might want to check the ticket and sushi revenue generated by the Lakers as opposed to the Spurs.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Jerry Buss doesn't like to go deep into the luxury tax either. He will only do so if he thinks he has a contender.