PDA

View Full Version : Barry's Agent speaks

MoSpur
02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Jeff McDonald: Agent says Barry speculation premature
The agent for Brent Barry says it's too early to speculate whether the displaced Spurs guard might return to San Antonio this season.

Barry, traded to Seattle along with Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick on Wednesday, was immediately waived by the SuperSonics, clearing way for him to become a free agent. That led to the supposition that Barry might be headed back to the team that just traded him.

Barry's agent, Arn Tellem, refused to feed that particular rumor when reached Friday afternoon.

"At this point, we've just been informed he's been released," Tellem said. "We haven't even begun to think about the next step."

In order to re-sign with the Spurs, Barry would have to wait a league-mandated 30 days. Given that he was due to miss a few more weeks with the calf injury that has kept him sidelined since Jan. 26, the timetable would seem to work out.

Barry, who shot a team-high 43 percent from 3-point range in 29 games with the Spurs this season, is expected to draw interest from other clubs as well, most notably Phoenix and Houston.

Dex
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Well played, agent guy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-22-2008, 05:36 PM
*keeping fingers crossed*

Does Brent Barry have Spurs fan-feedback or a website like Tim, Manu, Tony, etc.?

Brutalis
02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
^ doubt it. he aint vury popular

timvp
02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I doubt the agent will be too involved in the outcome. The options will be pretty simple.

Barry will re-sign with the Spurs unless another team can wow him with either more money or more playing time. I'll gain a lot of respect for Barry if he decides to come back but I'm sure he'll receive some tempting offers.

We'll know within the week what he's going to do. If he's going to sign with another team, I'd say he'd make that decision by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

whottt
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't sign with the Suns Brent...don't do it.

MoSpur
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I have a bad feeling he won't resign with the team. I could and might be wrong. It just seems to good to be true for him to comeback. I hope I am wrong though.

MrChug
02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Well played, agent guy.

:lol

tav1
02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Arn Tellum, Captain Smoke Screen. CIA Pop secretly runs basketball. Mark Cuban is such an amatuer.

ATX Spur
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Come back, Brent! Get another ring!

Medvedenko
02-22-2008, 05:51 PM
He'll be back to the spurs......

kskonn
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
He'll be back to the spurs......

I concur.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Rocket board fan site have say Rocket already with Gm and coach to go to his home and talks with him they have offer contract already for 2 year at "maximum amount allows".

SA Gunslinger
02-22-2008, 06:17 PM
For what it's worth, Wasserman Media Group also represents Pau Gasol.

boutons_
02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Brent's injury is the big question mark.

No matter where he signs, including the Spurs, his calf could be re-injured again the first time he pushes off heavily, pretty much finishing him for this season.

Steve-O-Matic
02-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Would re-signing Barry put the Spurs back over the luxury tax threshold?

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Haven't Pop and Arn Tellum had some contentious dealings in the past?

The fiasco with Lamond Murray comes to mind. . . .

MajorMike
02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

No.

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
To reach their mandatory 13-player roster by today, the Suns have signed former-Spur Linton Johnson (http://www.nba.com/suns/news/linton_johnson_qa.html) (Sean Marks' '04-'05 benchmate) to only a 10-day contract so that they can go after former-Spur Brent Barry and/or other bought-out players.

We need a former Spur, since the Spurs just got a former Sun. ;)

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 06:50 PM

It depends on the amount of the contract. If it's for the vet minimum, no. If the Spurs have to make a bigger offer to bring Brent back (and I read somewhere that they have the MLE to offer -- that resonates with me, but I'll admit I'm no guru about current contracts or the cap) then they might risk going over the threshold.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
One thing is for certain: Brent Barry is going to be a very popular guy for the next few days at least; and he's likely to be very unpopular once he's made his decision.

Agloco
02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Jeff McDonald: Agent says Barry speculation premature
The agent for Brent Barry says it's too early to speculate whether the displaced Spurs guard might return to San Antonio this season.

Barry, traded to Seattle along with Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick on Wednesday, was immediately waived by the SuperSonics, clearing way for him to become a free agent. That led to the supposition that Barry might be headed back to the team that just traded him.

Barry's agent, Arn Tellem, refused to feed that particular rumor when reached Friday afternoon.
"At this point, we've just been informed he's been released," Tellem said. "We haven't even begun to think about the next step."

In order to re-sign with the Spurs, Barry would have to wait a league-mandated 30 days. Given that he was due to miss a few more weeks with the calf injury that has kept him sidelined since Jan. 26, the timetable would seem to work out.

Barry, who shot a team-high 43 percent from 3-point range in 29 games with the Spurs this season, is expected to draw interest from other clubs as well, most notably Phoenix and Houston.

Smart man..... mum's the word.

hsxvvd
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
We have something other clubs simply can't offer Brent.

To be a part of the Dynasty!

GaryJohnston
02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Brent'll be back.

BonnerDynasty
02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Is waiving and "buying out the contract" the same thing?

DazedAndConfused
02-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Why on earth wouldn't Barry sign with the Spurs? Dude is in the twilight of his career, has made a ton of money, loves SA and his teammates, and has a chance to win another ring in SA. I see no reason why he won't resign with the Spurs.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
That agent sucks, Brent must come back after his vacation

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I take heart in the fact that Tellem's statement is basically neutral.

ThomasGranger
02-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I take heart in the fact that Tellem's statement is basically neutral.

Yeah, if it were something to the effect of "Brent feels slighted by the trade," or "unappreciated" I'd be worried, but this is just agent speak.

m33p0
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
barry with an injury that would take a few weeks to heal. meanwhile, the spurs need 30 days before they can tender an offer sheet to barry. what a coincidence.

ancestron
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
He'll be back. And it will kick mucho ass.

The Truth #6
02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I tend to think that Barry has been hiding from the media to avoid a Stackhouse moment. Otherwise, if he was really gone, I would think we would have seen an interview with him by now. At least I hope that's the situation.

Doesn't Rick Barry have a radio show in the bay area. I heard he was the first one to break the Brent for JR Smith trade (though of course it was canceled hours later.) I wonder if Rick Barry has commented on the situation yet? He seems to have a mouth more like Stackhouse and says whatever is on his mind.

Borosai
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
He be back.

td4mvp21
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I can't see him signing with another team...especially the Suns. After how they acted last year against his team I doubt he will go there.

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
And it will kick mucho asero.

Fixed.

You need to work on your spanish. :spin

Lebowski Brickowski
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Jeebus there are a lot of threads about this. :lol

Dex
02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Jeebus there are a lot of threads about this. :lol

I can see the headlines now.

"NBA denies Barry's return to San Antonio due to blatant speculations on credible online forum"

Lebowski Brickowski
02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I can see the headlines now.

"NBA denies Barry's return to San Antonio due to blatant speculations on credible online forum"
:lol

edit:

seriously though, some of the posters here have it figured O U T! Quickly too, and probably in more detail than the spurs FO.

Manudona
02-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Changing the subject a little bit for something I am curious about. Does a team, for example the Spurs, have any responsibility with the treatments of the players? I mean, a player gets injured, the treatment He can get from an NBA team is probably the best he can get, and probably very expensive, so if the team waives him, they are depriving him of said treatment, is there any obligation for the team to provide for it?

Russ
02-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Barry has made no secret of how "special" he considers the Spurs situation to be for a basketball player. Normally, that could be dismissed as home-town puffery, but I believe Barry is sincere.

It will be interesting to see whether Barry's heart-felt respect and affection for the Spurs trumps their (sometimes) shabby treatment of him over the past few years.

I think he comes back.

VaSpursFan
02-22-2008, 10:35 PM
barry will be back. having his agent to speak on his behalf is genius and eliminates a potential "stackhouse" occurring.

RussN
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Rocket board fan site have say Rocket already with Gm and coach to go to his home and talks with him they have offer contract already for 2 year at "maximum amount allows".

I hope English is your second language.

Indazone
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
He should sign with the Rockets if he wants to win. lol

T Park
02-22-2008, 10:49 PM
He should sign with the Rockets if he wants to win. lol

Whens the last time you were out of the first round again?

genomefreak13
02-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Just another part of the plan. We don't want another stackhouse event in our hands.

The plan... trade barry to seattle, he would act out his part, Seattle waives him, and he sits out for 30 days and get eat his chicken soup, Then he comes back to the spurs and gets the his third ring - PERFECT!

greyforest
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM

lol

hsxvvd
02-23-2008, 12:03 AM
The only reason I'm thinking this is a done deal is the amount we gave up for Thomas.

Elson & 1st pick for Thomas is fair for Seattle, with a Barry "Stackhouse" deal.

Just as the Mavs/Nets deal seemed unfair with Stackhouse in the original deal, it's only for the salaries to match.

A dead give away would be if we gave them cash in the deal? (To pay Barry's salary) Anybody have those details?

Dave McNulla
02-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Would re-signing Barry put the Spurs back over the luxury tax threshold?maybe. how much is two extra rounds of playoff basketball worth? parking, seats, concessions, tv, apperal, etc. i'd guess a few million.

angel_luv
02-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Come home Brent!

remingtonbo2001
02-23-2008, 01:15 AM
The only reason I'm thinking this is a done deal is the amount we gave up for Thomas.

Elson & 1st pick for Thomas is fair for Seattle, with a Barry "Stackhouse" deal.

Just as the Mavs/Nets deal seemed unfair with Stackhouse in the original deal, it's only for the salaries to match.

A dead give away would be if we gave them cash in the deal? (To pay Barry's salary) Anybody have those details?

Yeah, we gave them cash.