What the basic philosophy is and all
Links, examples, explanations all much appreciated
Thanks in advance

WalterBenitez
02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
:dizzy

J.T.
02-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Pretty much we only have Tim, Manu and Tony signed to long term deals. Maybe Bruce too, I'm not sure. So popular thought says after all the expiring contracts on the Spurs are done we can sign some big name FAs and own the league for the rest of Duncan's prime and what not.

Big P
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
No offense, but use the search feature to find what you are looking for. Basically in 2010 we will have enough cash to go after a nice FA or two. Thats it thats the plan, have as many expirings & reasonable contracts in the summer of 2010.

baseline bum
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
2010 is when we'll have capspace to sign Rasho again.

m33p0
02-22-2008, 07:34 PM
well, in a nutshell, the 2010 plan is a blueprint to ensure Duncan retires a champion and that the spurs will continue to be championship contenders afterwards.

AFBlue
02-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Nothing official has been announced regarding a "2010 Master Plan", but the biggest hint that the Spurs FO plans to make a big push for top-end free agents that year is the Duncan extension....

Before Duncan was given a two-year extension to his contract, he met with the Spurs FO. They told him they'd give him a "max" deal, but asked him to consider taking less so they had flexibility going forward. Duncan bought into it and left $11M on the table for his final two years.

Truth be told, the Spurs could destroy most of their cap space with deals over the next two seasons....but I think the aim is to bring in quality players for the last years of Duncan's career, whether it be this summer, in 2009, or 2010.

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
It's in 2010.

You only need to be concerned about the 2008 plan, which is winning back-to-back championships.

AFBlue
02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
More info....

Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh all have player options to become free agents that year.

Also among the prospective FAs:

Joe Johnson (29)
Carlos Boozer (29)
Michael Redd (29) (Player Option)
Darko Milicic (25)
Eddy Curry (28) (Player Option)
Tyson Chandler (28) (Player Option)
Mike Miller (30)
Al Harrington (30)

...and the over 30 crowd (Rip Hamilton, Stephen Jackson, Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal)

So there's a nice crop of FAs even if the Spurs lose out on the big 3.

clubalien
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Can someone pass me some links on exactly what is transpiriing
What the basic philosophy is and all
Links, examples, explanations all much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Kidd v2.0

this time for lebron and without the "Kidd is a lock"

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Do you think if the Spurs continue their dominance ( 2 more titles), and Lebron fails to reach the finals again. Would he consider signing with SA? Would he want an opportunity to play with the GOAT that is Tim Duncan? Continue the dominance of the Spurs into Celtic territory?

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
dont forget theres another team out there also fighting for their services

knicks are shredding payroll atm to sign lebron that year....

ps. out of all them players, only lebron james/ bosh makes sense

the rest are either injury prone or dont fit the character spurs lookn for....

hsxvvd
02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
A LeBron/Duncan year or two would be very nice.
Parker
Ginobili
LeBron
Splitter
Duncan :wow

TMTTRIO
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Isn't Manu's contract run out in 2010? I wonder what big FA will want to come here by then and if we'll let Manu go or sign him?

greens
02-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Isn't Manu's contract run out in 2010? I wonder what big FA will want to come here by then and if we'll let Manu go or sign him?

Yeah, Manu's contract is up that year. But he always says that he wants to stay with the Spurs.

I honestly think it would be disrespectful for the Spurs not to sign Manu after everything he has done for the team...

Maybe he'll get an extension deal similar to Timmy within the next two years...that's what I'm hoping for anyway...

Timvp and Kori, any thoughts regarding Manu's expiring contract in 2010? Do the Spurs resign him? Will they offer him an extension deal, do you guys think?

xtremesteven33
02-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Lets be realistic, Lebron signing with little-o san antonio,TX? The dude his agents would decline that offer with no hesitation. He wants to play in the big city markets....LA,New York or boston.

You know who im looking for?

DWIGHT "superman" Howard......he fits the character,the shoes,and the franchise kind of player that the Spurs have always gone for.

Kindergarten Cop
02-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Lets be realistic, Lebron signing with little-o san antonio,TX? The dude his agents would decline that offer with no hesitation. He wants to play in the big city markets....LA,New York or boston.

DWIGHT "superman" Howard......he fits the character,the shoes,and the franchise kind of player that the Spurs have always gone for.

Many would like to see that, but Orlando has Howard locked up until 2012.

AFBlue
02-23-2008, 09:17 AM
James will most likely be looking for a new home in 2010, but like someone else said there are other, bigger-market, teams that will by vying for his services. And it not only makes marketing sense for Lebron, who has said he wants to be an "icon", but financial sense as well....

It is reported that his marketing deals with Nike and others would likely DOUBLE in compensation if he signed with a team like NY.

Lebron might be the first big-time defection in a LONG time.

AFBlue
02-23-2008, 09:25 AM
As for the others....

I would LOVE to see Bosh, but if Toronto stays competitive in the East it's pretty logical to think he would be loyal to the organization that drafted him and trust them to put a good enough team around him.

The last of the 2003 superstars, Dwyane Wade, might be the most attainable of the three. But if Miami continues to cut payroll and gets Wade significant talent (Elton Brand?) so he can make a run in the east, I think they have a shot to keep him.

More than likely....it's one or two of those other guys.

I wouldn't mind having Joe Johnson!

my2sons
02-23-2008, 10:43 AM
As for the others....

I would LOVE to see Bosh, but if Toronto stays competitive in the East it's pretty logical to think he would be loyal to the organization that drafted him and trust them to put a good enough team around him.

The last of the 2003 superstars, Dwyane Wade, might be the most attainable of the three. But if Miami continues to cut payroll and gets Wade significant talent (Elton Brand?) so he can make a run in the east, I think they have a shot to keep him.

More than likely....it's one or two of those other guys.

I wouldn't mind having Joe Johnson!

you would think so, but even with these crazy contracts, what is tha tax situation in Canada. Is it significant enough to close the gap between the max contract toronto can offer and the max contract any other US team can offer

tav1
02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
dont forget theres another team out there also fighting for their services

knicks are shredding payroll atm to sign lebron that year....

ps. out of all them players, only lebron james/ bosh makes sense

the rest are either injury prone or dont fit the character spurs lookn for....

Ugh, how do you figure the Knicks are shedding payroll? The only way they get under the cap by 2010 is to trade Curry, Randolph and Crawford for expiring contracts--as of right now they'll be overcap in 2010. There is a better chance that LeBron would sign with the Brooklyn Nets than the Knicks. His buddy Jay-Z is in ownership there.

clubalien
02-23-2008, 11:53 AM

no doubt I would want him over lebron. I think the spurs would target him too. We just cannot get him though.

CaptainLate
02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
you would think so, but even with these crazy contracts, what is tha tax situation in Canada. Is it significant enough to close the gap between the max contract toronto can offer and the max contract any other US team can offer

Plus no state income tax in Texas, and maybe no Fed income tax by 2010.

www.restoretherepublic.com

CaptainLate
02-23-2008, 04:56 PM
no doubt I would want him over lebron. I think the spurs would target him too. We just cannot get him though.

Howard was stupid to sign an extension so soon. Should have let things play out.