PDA

View Full Version : Another Awesome Manu Article...

greens
02-23-2008, 01:47 AM
http://mvn.com/nba-spurs/2008/02/22/ginobili-goes-for-44-helps-spurs-beat-timberwolves/

Ginobili goes for 44, helps Spurs beat Timberwolves

By David Thiessen | February 22nd, 2008

Only three players have scored more than 40 points this season on multiple occasions. Two of them were All-Stars this season and top lists of MVP candidates. The other continues to fly under the radar of the average fan. He was not on the court in New Orleans last weekend, throwing woebegone no-look passes or taking three steps on dunk attempts.

The first two players are Lebron James and Kobe Bryant.

The other is Manu Ginobili.

Last night in the Spurs 100-99 win against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Ginobili set the nets on fire with 44 points and a winning 15-foot jump shot. It was his second game with more than 40 points in the Spurs last three outings.

For those that question how good Ginobili is, consider his performance last night. Ginobili made 13-of-18 shots, including 7-of-9 three-pointers. In the second quarter he made six threes in the final 6:33. When he entered the league, Ginobili was known for his slashing ability but not his shot. Now he is a deadly three-point shooter, making 42%. He is especially dangerous when he uses his step back move, where he takes a big step forward to fake a drive and then pulls back for the three. Defenders know that he can still beat them into the lane and must respect that skill, so it almost always gives him a wide open shot.

Ginobili displayed both of these skills on the final play. First he used a slight hesitation to drive past his man to the left, and then dribbled behind his back while his defender overran him. Another defender tried to come over and help, but Ginobili created enough separation for an open 15-foot jumper.

If you look Ginobili’s numbers for the eight games in February, all of which he has started, you’ll see just how talented he his. In 36 minutes per game, he is averaging 25.9 points, 6.4 assists, 5.9 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 55.8% shooting and 50.8% shooting on threes. There is little doubt in my mind that he could produce those type of numbers if he started on a regular basis like Kobe or LeBron. It is easy for much of America to forget how ridiculously good Ginobili is when he comes off the bench, but we are getting a taste of his talent right now.

Against Minnesota we also saw how Kurt Thomas can help the Spurs. Besides Tim Duncan, who once again had a good game (24 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 blocks and 3 steals), only the big men played. Robert Horry, Fabricio Oberto and Matt Bonner combined for 5 points on 2-of-8 shooting, 9 rebounds, 1 block and 1 steal in 40 minutes. Thomas provides better numbers than that by himself.

Finally, the Spurs made a move that nobody is talking about – the return of Tony Parker. He played last night for the first time in nine games, providing eight points and two assists. Pop will bring him back slowly to make sure he is fully healed, but his return is important. Ginobili and Duncan are playing their best basketball of the season, and if Parker is healthy, they are a scary team to face.

Game Ball: I should just rename this in honor of Ginobili. It seems like I’ve given it to him every game.

end of the article

I know people say that Manu can't play 38 minutes a whole season, etc...Yet, I think in this long road trip and after it, he has proven that he can play big minutes and make big plays. He was able to get two above 40 points games and his shooting percentage is especially high.

Obviously, he shouldn't have to continue to play 38 minutes, in order to save energy for the playoffs...Still, I think it shows that he can be productive on a more consistent basis even if playing close to 40 minutes.

With that being said, I'm happy that Tony is back...that way all the minutes can now be more distributed. Both Manu and Timmy won't have to play for too many minutes...The question now is if Manu goes back to the bench since Michael Finley has played rather really well in the last few games off the bench...

m33p0
02-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Tim Duncan - 24 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 blocks and 3 steals

awesome line.

WalterBenitez
02-23-2008, 06:33 AM
I never understood why Manu can't play 30/35 minutes in regular season .. f you split this numbers for quarter he could.

Anyhow I wouldn't touch what it works, in this way we got minutes for everyone; but in other team, let's say a sub .5 team with Manu starting he could keep his number higher.

The only numbers I care is Manu getting the ball at the end of the game and playing decently in playoffs.

kuato
02-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I never understood why Manu can't play 30/35 minutes in regular season .. f you split this numbers for quarter he could.

Anyhow I wouldn't touch what it works, in this way we got minutes for everyone; but in other team, let's say a sub .5 team with Manu starting he could keep his number higher.

The only numbers I care is Manu getting the ball at the end of the game and playing decently in playoffs.
Manu cant play or Popovich dont make him play that minutes minutes on RS ? I think this is a team strategy issue, not a Manu´s problem.

wildbill2u
02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Parker stronger than Manu? Nobody thinks Parker should play minutes in the 20s.

Manu just takes a beating because of his style. Somehow Parker is able to slither through the bigs and not take as many hits.

When either Parker or Manu was playing all year round to play for their home country in world championships it made sense to give them fewer minutes. Not now.

But when the playoffs come let 'er rip!

m33p0
02-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Manu only knows one way to play basketball, which is all-out all the time. that's been the reason why he couldn't play too many minutes for too many consecutive games. if he can adjust his game that would allow him to conserve more energy, the more feasible it becomes to allow him more minutes. his current offensive profiency especially from the 3 pt land is a good sign that he is conserving more energy, intentionally or not.