PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Stoudamire starts showing Spurs signs of settling

greens
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022308_SpursAdv.en.1c78c4e0.html

Pro basketball: Stoudamire starts showing Spurs signs of settling

Web Posted: 02/22/2008 11:48 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Big Al Jefferson had just given the Minnesota Timberwolves a one-point lead and the few fans who had ventured into the frigid night to watch the game were howling nearly as wildly as the canned wolf from the public address system.

But Jefferson left the visitors too many ticks on the clock, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is among basketball's best when it comes to drawing up plays for the right players in the right places.

Damon Stoudamire, with the Spurs for all of three weeks, jumped up from his seat to get a peek at the play his new coach had scribbled and the first thing he heard was: “Damon, you're throwing it in.”

Stoudamire swallowed hard and leaned in a little closer. He smiled as he recalled the confidence Popovich showed in a player still learning the Spurs' systems.

“Was I surprised?” Stoudamire said. “A little bit. At the same time, I was ready, because I stay mentally into the game at all times.”

Stoudamire knew this much: If he wanted to retain Popovich's confidence, he would find a way, any way, to get the ball to Manu Ginobili, who already had scored 42 points.

“Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is throw the ball in-bounds,” he said, “but I was ready. I knew I couldn't go wrong if I just got the ball to Manu. Not tonight. Heck, not since I got here.”

With Tony Parker back in the lineup, the Spurs suddenly have an abundance of riches at point guard.

Eventually, Parker will resume his role as the team's starter at the position. He is, after all, one of the Spurs' Big Three. His scoring average of 18.9 points per game is third best on the team.

For tonight's game at the AT&T Center against Western Conference leader New Orleans, led by MVP-candidate point guard Chris Paul, Popovich may stick with the rotation that worked in Minnesota.

Stoudamire started that one, a 100-99 victory after Ginobili caught his pass and buried a step-back jumper. Stoudamire played 23 minutes, 13 seconds, his longest stint since joining the Spurs, and played a solid floor game, making 2 of 4 shots and handing out four assists.

Parker got 18 minutes off the bench. He showed a little rust from the three-week layoff that accompanied his rest and recuperation from a swollen left ankle, but made two critical free throws in the fourth period and showed his explosion has returned.

“Definitely, I could have played more (than 18 minutes),” he said, “but Pop told me before the game that he wants to go slow. But I felt great. I just tried to get back in rhythm and get some wind. It felt pretty good.”

Jacque Vaughn, the reliable reserve who started seven games in Parker's absence, played only 6:19.

“We've got to get Damon to know everything by playoff time,” Popovich said. “If I don't play him at all, come playoff time he's not going to know what the heck is going on. Jacque knows what's going on. So I've got to give Damon some more minutes so he can be a little bit more savvy to know what we're doing.”

Stoudamire declared himself decidedly more comfortable now than he was during the six games he played on the rodeo road trip after signing with the Spurs on Feb. 2.

“I'm getting more and more comfortable by the day,” he said. “When I first got here, it was sporadic. That was to be expected. But these first couple of games off the break I just feel comfortable out there. I know the plays. I know the signals. I'm in tune with my teammates.”

end of article

I really like Damon. I think he's an excellent addition to the Spurs. I like how he's learning at a good pace. He's paying attention to his new teammates and his new coach.

boutons_
02-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Damon speaks well.

He also finished a couple nice drives in traffic vs Twolves.

Beno Udrih
02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
No one can fill my shoes. NO ONE.

SenorSpur
02-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Pop's comments about getting Stoudamire more playing time make me wonder why the hell he discontinued starting him, after giving him 3 consecutive start when he joined the team.

K-State Spur
02-23-2008, 02:48 AM
we've seen quite a few guys on this team react differently to starting vs. coming off of the bench.

stoudamire has been a starter his entire career.

but he was always going to be a bench player once parker came back. might as well get him used to it and in the flow early.

SouthernFried
02-23-2008, 05:58 AM
“Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is throw the ball in-bounds,” he said, “but I was ready. I knew I couldn't go wrong if I just got the ball to Manu. Not tonight. Heck, not since I got here.”

Something about this quote really makes me like this guy. :)

WalterBenitez
02-23-2008, 06:23 AM

Beno some of us still miss you, anyhow Stoudamire is doing well

phyzik
02-23-2008, 09:06 AM

thats because even your feet got fatter after eating all of those taco's when you where down here.

Mark in Austin
02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Stoudamire has been a surprise. I really thought he would be the second coming of Ron Mercer. Props to Damon. :tu

spursfan09
02-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Yeah it's gonna be hard to find another cheerleader bench pg. Vaughn, Parker and Stoudermire, are really good and it's hard not to play them.

Mark in Austin
02-23-2008, 10:09 AM

But what about your purse?