PDA

View Full Version : Give me the definition of a "true fan"

IceColdBrewski
01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I keep seeing these people all over the net lately. People who say "you're not a true fan" simply because you say something that isn't 100% positive about your team. Which leads me to wonder what a "true fan" really is.

Thoughts?

Dex
01-07-2005, 11:12 PM
To me, a "true fan" supports his team whether they are winning or losing. Whether they are the Spurs or the Hornets, a true fan will always stand behind their team. A lot of people like to just be fans when their team is winning.

There's nothing wrong with being critical about your team. Unless you are REALLY a fan for another team, then you're just a troll.

violentkitten
01-07-2005, 11:13 PM
youre a true dumbfuck

Dex
01-07-2005, 11:16 PM
yeah, well you're a pussy :lol

Matrix
01-07-2005, 11:19 PM
A true fan is someone who admits they are an Arizona Cardinals fan, which I am, then listen to everyone laugh at you....

IceColdBrewski
01-07-2005, 11:22 PM
To me, a "true fan" supports his team whether they are winning or losing. Whether they are the Spurs or the Hornets, a true fan will always stand behind their team. A lot of people like to just be fans when their team is winning.

There's nothing wrong with being critical about your team. Unless you are REALLY a fan for another team, then you're just a troll.

I would have to agree. But suprisingly enough, there are scores of people out there who accuse you of being a fair weather fan at the first mention of something critical. Hell I'd root against my team if I thought losing would help them out in the long run.

IceColdBrewski
01-07-2005, 11:25 PM
A true fan is someone who admits they are an Arizona Cardinals fan, which I am, then listen to everyone laugh at you....

Being an Eagle fan, I had to deal with that as well. Thank God for Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb.

violentkitten
01-07-2005, 11:31 PM
thank god for being the buffalo bills of the nfc huh

IceColdBrewski
01-07-2005, 11:34 PM

Injuries have been a bitch but our day will come. You can bank on that sweetheart.

pooh
01-07-2005, 11:34 PM
It really all depends on who you talk to. A "True Fan" in some instances is one who stays with their team no matter what, through good and bad. I don't believe in the "fairweather" theory and shit. I think you have the right to stop rooting for a team if you choose and root for who ever you want.

However I don't think you should "live or die" by your team. Granted, if you team doesn't make the playoffs, etc...shouldn't prevent you from watching the others advancing.

ALVAREZ6
01-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Being an Eagle fan, I had to deal with that as well. Thank God for Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb.

I see im not the only Eagles fan here.

IceColdBrewski
01-07-2005, 11:41 PM
I see im not the only Eagles fan here.

Was hooked in the Ron Jaworski days and never looked back.

T Park
01-08-2005, 12:34 AM
some instances is one who stays with their team no matter what, through good and bad

Wich means you were never a true fan of the Spurs.

Case closed.

SequSpur
01-08-2005, 01:46 AM
True Fan = True Fan

Sense
01-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Fans are fans....

Even if they say, aww "screw the spurs, they did stupid stuff, they SUCK!"
After watching the whole season, you continue to watch, hoping for a win.

Of course, that's not the case...but just giving an example.

akeen3
01-08-2005, 02:19 AM
True Fan - Rooting for the Cubs, the Red Sox,(until this year), etc for your entire life without regard for their finishing place but constantly holding out for "our year". That Simple.

SlovenianGuy
01-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Kori and timvp

angel_luv
01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
As I have said before, I do think that a fan can be too critical. After all, coaches and fans are different people for a reason.
I think the best fan is one that is aware of his/ her team's short comings but loves and supports them anyway.

angel_luv
01-08-2005, 08:05 AM
I like akeen3's defintion... a true fan always believes, regardless of past circumstances, that is the year. Well said!

Jaydan
01-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I think a true fan should watch all of that team's matches and know some history about the team.

Like me ....

Rummpd
01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
A true fan bleeds after stupid losses even in the regular season and dies on sublime moments likes Fisher's 0.4 screaming for justice. Caring is the answer however you do it.

MadDoc

samikeyp
01-08-2005, 11:56 AM
A true fan never deserts his or her team no matter what. Doesn't mean you can't watch other games or keep watching after your team gets eliminated, but when it comes down to your team or someone else, you always choose your team. Its also ok to be critical of your team, as long as you are still with them. I have been a Spurs fan since 1974 and when the Spurs have sucked, I have said so. You are a moron if you run around and say "We're #1" and have your team 0-10.

desflood
01-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I keep seeing these people all over the net lately. People who say "you're not a true fan" simply because you say something that isn't 100% positive about your team. Which leads me to wonder what a "true fan" really is.

Thoughts?
I've been a Detroit Tigers fan since I was three years old, but boy, do they ever suck...

boutons
01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
a true fan has butterflies on every game day, throws up before each game, and after losses, needs psychoactive medication for a couple days.

Walton Buys Off Me
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
A true fan is supportive and critical- it all relates to passion. If Tim Duncan is playing like ass, then he deserves the same treatment as Beno Udrih, but you'll never see Popovich (or anyone in this forum for that matter) rip Duncan the way he tears into Ginobili or Parker. Ultimately being a fan is sticking with your team no matter how their season goes, this is sports ladies and gentlemen, not life and death.

Spurs fans are a very spoiled bunch. There aren't many teams in professional sports that can not only compete for a championship year in, year out but also boast such a great lineup of character individuals. You won't see a Spurs player punching out waterboys or needing a stungun to leave a nightclub at three a.m.

I myself am guilty plenty of times of letting emotion get the better of me but when you know your team so well, sometimes it's frustrating watching them make the same mistakes over again.

Fans are at their best when we realize we're nothing more than Monday morning quarterbacks, if we were actually coaching or playing, then it would be our mistakes magnified- sometimes we forget that.

Good topic.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2005, 12:22 PM
A true fan bashes Parker every chance he gets.

mysterious_elf26
01-08-2005, 12:29 PM

You think the bills are bad?? I'm a fan of the Cowboys and had to indulge 5 straight losing seasons only to finally make the playoffs and get embarrassed and then there's this season. It's been a roller coaster ride for me. Well, at least we have you alls draft pick.

mysterious_elf26
01-08-2005, 12:33 PM
A true fan stays with a team no matter if they are winning or losing. A true fan yells at refs for bad calls against their team and applauds when it happens to someone else. A true fan yells at their own team's players when they are struggling or screws up a play.

angel_luv
01-08-2005, 12:55 PM
a true fan has butterflies on every game day, throws up before each game, and after losses, needs psychoactive medication for a couple days.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

angel_luv
01-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Oh mi gosh! I never thought I would ever be saying this, but Walton makes a lot of sense! :spin
I realize this Walton is not the Bill Walton, but still. =)

angel_luv
01-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Speak of the devil, there he is on ABC. I am actually glad Walton is commenting before the game, since that ensures he won't be on during the game.

SpurYank
01-08-2005, 01:42 PM
A true fan is one whose wife will ask before planning ANYTHING "Are the Spurs playing tonight?", who will fly 2000 miles to see one game, and whose Maryland license plates (for years) is "SASPURS." ... and when he hears Kornheiser or Wilbon chastise the Spurs on TV immediately fire off a damning response to them.

SpurYank
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
... and who spent years following the Spurs by listening to the games on WOAI radio on the Internet when that's all one could do from 2000 miles away.

You guys who live there are living the life of Riley.

Stop your bitching.

PS: The Spurs have a following because of players like David Robinson.

pooh
01-08-2005, 06:45 PM

I use to be like that with the Cowboys every other game until I realized it's not worth getting all worked up like that. They're still my team, I just don't get all into it anymore, it's just a game.

Last year, after I saw the Pacers fall to the Spurs, I was literally devastated for a week. Even after they lost to the Pistons in the Conference finals I was bummed, but over the summer I came to realize that it's just a game and enjoy just watching it and that's really it. It makes it more enjoyable now rather than being a total wreck and living and dying on each and every play.

I can relate to long suffering fans such as the Cubs and Red Sox who basically have had their "curses" handed down from generation to generation. At least now, Red Sox fans can rest easily.

Guru of Nothing
01-08-2005, 09:20 PM
http://www.emmitt22.com/gifs/empty-case.jpg
Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Trophy Case

GoSpurs21
01-08-2005, 11:03 PM
always cheers their team when they are playing...even through the losing seasons like 96-97. always thinks next year is their teams year after failing to win championship...and also after winning championship (in my case this usually starts 1 hour after last game of the season but then I'm a Cubs fan). Looks at their team like an old friend...can hardly wait to see them again and have a hard time being and staying mad with them.

is willing defend their team to the death (or at least a fist fight) with fan of rivalery team that is gets out of hand.

Cubs fan since birth
Bears fan since 76
Spurs fan since 76
Blackhawks fan since 79

Rummpd
01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Go Eagles as well! It is hard to be a true SA fan out here but I am and always will be until the day I move back. I will diss em occassionally but love them always like all of you.

One of the fans I admire most is Pooh who taking abuse, has stuck with the Pacers during their tough times this year and I believe he will be rewarded by a long post-season, perhaps facing Spurs in finals.

MadDoc (in Philadelphia)

samikeyp
01-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Pooh used to be a Spurs fan. Then he decided to give up on them Robinson's rookie year.