PDA

View Full Version : Barry meeting with Rockets, Celtics also interested

whottt
02-23-2008, 06:53 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/23/barry_is_generating_interest/

Barry is generating interest
Brent Barry is expected to seriously consider the Celtics. (FILE/Eric Gay/ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Email|Print| Text size – + By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / February 23, 2008
PHOENIX - The Celtics and several other teams are in the Brent Barry sweepstakes.

The Sonics waived the 13-year veteran combo-guard Thursday after acquiring him the same day in a trade from the Spurs. The 6-foot-7-inch, 210-pounder will become an unrestricted free agent today and is expected to get interest from Boston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Denver, Houston, Golden State, and the Lakers.

The Spurs, however, would have to wait 30 days before they are eligible re-sign Barry. Boston is expected to inquire about Barry.

ESPN analyst and ex-NBA player Jon Barry, Brent's brother, believes his sibling will give the Celtics serious consideration.

"It would certainly be a team that piques his interest," Jon Barry said in a telephone interview. "They are certainly one of the teams to beat in the East and the NBA. He wants to win and he is going to feel out who gives him the best chance to win."

Jon Barry said Brent is in San Antonio and is expected to meet with the Rockets soon. A calf injury, however, is expected to keep Brent Barry sidelined for about another 10 days, his brother said. Brent averaged 7.3 points and 1.8 assists in 29 games with San Antonio this season. He also shot 43 percent from 3-point range and 95 percent from the free throw line. The two-time NBA champion has played in 68 playoff games.

Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge has said he is interested in acquiring "the right veteran point guard."

The Celtics are also expected to inquire about guard Flip Murray, waived by Detroit yesterday, and center Jamal Magloire, waived by New Jersey. Both will be free agents tomorrow if they clear waivers.

"We'll just evaluate who comes off waivers and see where they fit in with us," Ainge said. "But I don't feel we have to do anything. I like our team. At the same time, we've saved two roster spots for players that could help us this time of the year. We'll continue to evaluate those players."

The Celtics have also been rumored to have interest in veteran Clippers guard Sam Cassell. The 38-year-old has said his agent, David Falk, has contacted the Clippers about a potential buyout and that he would be interested in the Celtics. Cassell must be waived by March 1 to be eligible to play in the postseason for another team.

whottt
02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Incidentally...I read another article about the Celtics being interested and it said Barry almost signed with Celts 4 years ago. I didn't know that...

Something intersting about the byline in this article...it makes it sound like the Spurs can talk to Barry now...he just can't sign with them for 2 months.

Is that the case?

whottt
02-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Geez...we shoulda shopped Brent around for a lottery pick or something...who knew there'd be this much interest?

genomefreak13
02-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Barry will probably end up in SA anyway. He might consider the offers just to make it appear that no back room deals were made. Considering, however, the sequence of events and the one sidedness of the deal - it's hardky conceivable that there was no inside agreement between the two teams.

In that case, welcome back brent!

Bruno
02-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Wherever Barry decides to go, I hope his choice will be known soon.
Spurs need another swingman. The perfect case will be Barry back but if he decides to go elsewhere, Spurs will need to sign someone else.

For the moment, Spurs are doing nothing and haven't tried someone with a 10 days contract. I just hope that this passivity is because Spurs have someone in the waiting and not because Spurs don't plan to sign another player.
I will be disappointed if Spurs haven't an extra competitive swingman for the playoffs.

Solid D
02-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Incidentally...I read another article about the Celtics being interested and it said Barry almost signed with Celts 4 years ago. I didn't know that...

Something intersting about the byline in this article...it makes it sound like the Spurs can talk to Barry now...he just can't sign with them for 2 months.

Is that the case?

30 days for the team that originally traded the waived player.

(30 days is what the article says, BTW.)

GrandeDavid
02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow, I would hope that he'd still think the Spurs give him the best chance to win. It'll reveal a bit about his confidence in the team if he does sign elsewhere. I'd have thought that his calf rehab coincided perfectly with the period the Spurs would have to wait to reclaim him. But unless Barry feels he was slapped by the Spurs org. I just think that he comes back to San Antonio. There are some overwhelming pluses to such a decions, among them being his familiarity with the on and off court surroundings, defending champion, great shot at a third championship for him and a solid role on the team. Its hard to see Barry going elsewhere, IMO.

But if he does, it'll sting a little because it'll show he has little confidence that the Spurs will win the championship this year...or, of course, he feels let down by the Spurs.

wildbill2u
02-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Almost any player would be intrigued by playing for the legendary Celtics, especially when it looks like they will have the best odds of ANY team in the NBA to make the Finals. The West is just too tough to predict, especially with all the recent changes.

He might even get a better offer regarding salary and the length of contract out of the Celts or Houston for that matter.

Houston is being very aggressive right now about acquiring new pieces to the puzzle. They let their 3pt. shooter Mike James go along with his salary. Barry with his ability to backup at point and shoot the 3 fits their needs right now.

AFBlue
02-23-2008, 09:29 AM
30 days for the team that originally traded the waived player.

(30 days is what the article says, BTW.)

30 days to SIGN....

Whottt is asking if the Spurs are allowed to talk and/or negotiate with him prior to those 30 days.

For instance, could he meet with the Spurs in the next few days and then let it be known that he has a verbal agreement to return to the Spurs when he's eligible?

It's a valid question.

m33p0
02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
they can now, in my opinion. and they probably have. barry is IN san antonio afterall. and if they have, i like that they have kept it behind close doors. and if there has been talks between the spurs FO and barry, there's still no guarantees. but if barry does intend to go back to the spurs afterall and the spurs have expressed their interest.....

.... NICE ACTING JOB, BRENT! I KNEW YOU SHOULD HAVE WON AN ACADEMY AWARD FOR YOUR ROLE IN JERRY MCGUIRE!

Solid D
02-23-2008, 09:59 AM
30 days to SIGN....

Whottt is asking if the Spurs are allowed to talk and/or negotiate with him prior to those 30 days.

For instance, could he meet with the Spurs in the next few days and then let it be known that he has a verbal agreement to return to the Spurs when he's eligible?

It's a valid question.

I don't think you understand what I was saying to whottt, PHAT TONY. I was addressing the "2 months" statement.

Is that the case?

Yes, the Spurs can talk to Brent & Arn Tellem, now, or any time between now and when he signs. He just can't sign with them (Spurs only) for 1 month, not 2 months.

boutons_
02-23-2008, 10:02 AM
So as of this Sat morning, 48 hours after Sonics waived him, Brent has cleared waivers and is a FA?

1Parker1
02-23-2008, 10:03 AM
heard rockets adelman is going to SA ti meet barry...and they've already offered him a 2 year deal :(

m33p0
02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
heard rockets adelman is going to SA ti meet barry...and they've already offered him a 2 year deal :(
max veteran minimum. nothing to crow about.

bigfan
02-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Im glad Bones is getting alot of attention. He's a good guy and if he doesnt come back Ill understand it as Spurs management always had him as trade bait since his arrival. I do hope he comes back, we need him!

Ocotillo
02-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I just hope that this passivity is because Spurs have someone in the waiting and not because Spurs don't plan to sign another player.

Sanikidze ;)

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm starting to doubt he will sign with the Spurs, as long as he's not going to the Rockets or any west team

Que Gee
02-23-2008, 11:48 AM
So as of this Sat morning, 48 hours after Sonics waived him, Brent has cleared waivers and is a FA?

No, weekends don't count.

xmas1997
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
With his BB IQ, the Spurs should sign him as a player/coach this time, or at the very least offer him a position in the FO after he retires.

Indazone
02-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Barry is going to go with a contender. He signs with the Rockets. That would be two players we get from the Spurs this year for nothing LOL

:lol :lol :lol

ploto
02-23-2008, 12:13 PM
It is my understanding that Barry was not officially waived until Friday morning.

BonnerDynasty
02-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Geez...we shoulda shopped Brent around for a lottery pick or something...who knew there'd be this much interest?

Is everyone trying to just keep him away from Spurs? or they all want a crippled 3 pt shooter?

phyzik
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Barry is going to go with a contender. He signs with the Rockets. That would be two players we get from the Spurs this year for nothing LOL

:lol :lol :lol

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87890

so much for your theory.

Fabbs
02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
If Barry did not clear waivers, how is he available?
Simply says he was "released".
Did Sonics buy him out?

Dex
02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Brent's allowed to consider his options, and he would be foolish not to. Any one of us would probably do the same.

However, I'm hoping this is mostly just a front to 'show interest' in other teams. If Brent doesn't even meet with any other teams, it's kind of hard to act like there was nothing pre-arranged with the Spurs.

AFBlue
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think you understand what I was saying to whottt, PHAT TONY. I was addressing the "2 months" statement.

Yes, the Spurs can talk to Brent & Arn Tellem, now, or any time between now and when he signs. He just can't sign with them (Spurs only) for 1 month, not 2 months.

No, YOU DON'T GET IT!

Just kidding, and thanks for the clarification on "talking" to the Spurs....it's been something that I've wondered about.

Let's hope he comes out with one of those verbal statements in the next few weeks so we can get past it. My gut feel is that he re-signs.

whottt
02-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Phat Tony was right Solid...

The two months thing was a typo because I was sleepy...I meant 30 days. For the details on this...I was installing a shareware anti-virus on my nieces laptop and the freeware part of it expires in 60 days...that's where I pulled that number from.

But I'm still not clear on if the Spurs can talk to him yet...

Can the Spurs now talk to him? Or do they have to wait 30 days to do it?

I know they can't sign him yet.

Edit: I see Solid clarified that part too...

Thanks Solid.

ploto
02-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I still find it so funny-- people clamored for Brent to be traded for years and now they are desperate to have him back.

whottt
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I still find it so funny-- people clamored for Brent to be traded for years and now they are desperate to have him back.

Jealous that they didn't feel that way about Rasho?

traitoravery
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
The Spurs can offer him the most money.....? I did not know that.

td4mvp21
02-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Jealous that they didn't feel that way about Rasho?

Probably.

The_Game
02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
if barry wants to go to the team with the best chance at a title he will sign for the lakers

ThomasGranger
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
if barry wants to go to the team with the best chance at a title he will sign for the lakers

Nah, Kobe's finger won't survive the regular season.

easjer
02-23-2008, 02:36 PM
It's interesting, and not a little worrisome, that Boston has entered the mix. They are heavy favorites to win the east and the title.

Barry would be stupid, imo, to do anything other than consider them.

When the main contenders for a title wooing Brent were Pheonix and SA (because LA hasn't overtly expressed interest) then I felt fairly confident about him choosing SA. You throw Boston into that mix though and suddenly I'm less certain.

I sure hope he returns.

As to why he's so popular - because now that his contract was taken by another team willing to waive and pay it, he's a good, solid, winning vet with a high BB iq who can be had for little more than the prorated vet min.

Of COURSE there is a lot of interest. Spurs had trouble trading him for value because of the high price that came with his contract - you remove that obstacle, and naturally he's going to be courted. Even more so than in the offseason, because there is no large contract at stake.

And people don't hate Brent - he's a fan fave. Most people would love to have him back as a shooting option if Fin or Udoka run cold. The problem fans had with him was that he made too much money and there were bigger holes to fill (especially when you have 3 people competing for the rotation spot). The contract is gone (and with it, Elson) and the biggest need is filled and we can have Brent (and the fab HEB commercials) back again on the cheap.

Fuck yeah I want that!

smeagol
02-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I find this pretty funny too.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
If you can have your cake and eat it too, why not?

ShoogarBear
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I find this pretty funny too.I'd expect that from ohno, but this is surprising from you.

People weren't clamoring for Brent to go so much as they were looking for a deal to get the young swingman the Spurs are missing: Smith, Maggette, etc.

Kurt Thomas ain't exactly that. So yeah, there's still a role for Brent on the current roster.

easjer
02-23-2008, 02:44 PM
If you can have your cake and eat it too, why not?

Mmmmm. Cake.

Damn you, Chump.

SenorSpur
02-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Wherever Barry decides to go, I hope his choice will be known soon.
Spurs need another swingman. The perfect case will be Barry back but if he decides to go elsewhere, Spurs will need to sign someone else.

For the moment, Spurs are doing nothing and haven't tried someone with a 10 days contract. I just hope that this passivity is because Spurs have someone in the waiting and not because Spurs don't plan to sign another player.
I will be disappointed if Spurs haven't an extra competitive swingman for the playoffs.

I agree completely. I trust the Spurs will have a Plan B option just in case Barry doesn't come back. It appears that Phoenix is also interested in Barry. Speaking of Phoenix, they just offered a 10-day contract to a very famailiar face. The Spurs should've taken a closer look at this guy.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0222sunsnb.html

The new guy
After arriving Friday and signing a 10-day contract with Phoenix, 6-foot-8 forward Linton Johnson showed Leandro Barbosa something that any Suns player wants - his championship ring from when he spent a year mostly injured with the Spurs.

Johnson is a four-year veteran who was out of the league this season and playing a three-month stint in Spain. He returned to work out at the Bulls' facility for the past two months, but he did not want to latch on with just any team.

bdictjames
02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I never wanted Brent to be traded. But everyone must look forward to the future, and looking at the Garnetts Yaos and Amares of the league it may be the better choice.

ThomasGranger
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Glad to see you have so much faith in the Spurs!

He's a Laker troll.

JPB
02-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Barry will probably end up in SA anyway. He might consider the offers just to make it appear that no back room deals were made.

:tu

Barry's agent > Stackhouse's agent

MannyIsGod
02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I still find it so funny-- people clamored for Brent to be traded for years and now they are desperate to have him back.People also spoke out against Barry being traded. Its not like we all speak with one voice here. Well except when it comes to Rasho. We pretty much all agree he sucks now.

CaptainLate
02-23-2008, 03:55 PM

According to Nate Friedman, Ricky Davis could have been had Brent.

7. Ricky Davis to San Antonio

The Miami Heat should trade Ricky Davis to the San Antonio Spurs for Brent Barry. I know Barry has on occasion cropped up to help the Spurs’ intermittent dynasty. And yes, Davis never really has stuck as a quality, committed NBA player. But remember, Stephen Jackson was central to the Spurs’ 2003 title. San Antonio officials almost traded Barry for J.R. Smith at one point, proving they’re not afraid to bring in players with issues.

Now that we’ve gotten past that: This trade makes sense for both teams. With that arms race in the Western Conference, the Spurs could use another weapon—and Davis, for all his foibles, is most definitely still a weapon. He is more versatile than most NBA analysts acknowledge and can pass and rebound when not single-mindedly focused on buckets-gettin’ (remember that triple-double?).

Miami has marginalized Davis. Wade and Dorell Wright keep Davis out of the starting lineup, and when Udonis Haslem is back, Shawn Marion slides to the three and really keeps Davis down. So why not trade for Barry, a veteran who can be a marksman, a playmaker or whatever a team needs around the margins.

Put simply, the Spurs need a presence and the Heat need less of one. Oh, and both contracts expire this summer. So if it doesn’t work out, who cares?

picnroll
02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Only Beno and Rasho have been traded with thunderous applause by Spurs fans.

CaptainLate
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
It's interesting, and not a little worrisome, that Boston has entered the mix. They are heavy favorites to win the east and the title....You throw Boston into that mix though and suddenly I'm less certain.

You guys are :dramaquee
No need to be :depressed . BB will be back.

He and his agent, as well as the Spurs FO are playing the game that "Stackmouth" didn't learn. Barry gets to travel around for a week or two and "visit" with interested teams (remember, he's still rehabbing and unable to play), all the while knowing he'll be joining his family again soon for the rest of the 2008 season. :santahat