PDA

View Full Version : Adelman's O and HIS D, not JVanGunD

Roxsfan
02-24-2008, 02:24 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5565234.html

Just to clear shit up on D. JVG's emphasis on D lives on in his players, but NOT his schemes.

In the jubilant visitors locker room in Cleveland, after the Rockets' defense took apart the Cavaliers for the second time in a winning streak 11 games long, it was mentioned that Jeff Van Gundy would have loved the defensive performance of the evening.

Rafer Alston turned to Tracy McGrady, and in his best Van Gundy bark, snapped: "Take away the middle. Don't let him go middle!"

McGrady giggled. "I still hear that voice."

"I heard it during the game," Alston said.

Yet as the Rockets have maintained the defensive mastery they developed in four seasons in the JVG Defensive Finishing School, some of their recent defensive success has come in the few ways the defensive style has changed under Rick Adelman.
That was never more evident than in Friday's win in New Orleans when the Rockets' pick-and-roll defense took away the lane as it rarely has as effectively.

And as much as the notion has been repeated that the Rockets have won with the Adelman offense and Van Gundy defense, the parts of the defense are not carried over.

"Jeff's not here," Rockets assistant coach Elston Turner said of that popular theory, though he said he had never heard it. "This is our defense. This is what we did in Sacramento — times two."
The multiplication, he said, comes from doing those schemes with players particularly adept at executing what he, Adelman and fellow assistants T.R. Dunn and Jack Sikma want."We've got some defensive-minded guys here," Turner said. "They execute the game plan and the coverage. Once you give them the game plan, you get people covered, but once you get them covered, you got to make the stop. We've got talented people, people who can move. That's what makes the stop."
Against Chris Paul and the Hornets, the Rockets shifted to what Turner called "more of a containment, protect-the-paint type of coverage."

Making right adjustments
Where the Rockets once had preferred to trap high screens, they have left Yao Ming in the lane. On Friday, they allowed Rafer Alston to sag into the lane to meet Paul, and to use his discretion about when to mix that up by occasionally going over picks. "We defended them really well," Adelman said. "I have to give my assistant coaches (credit). They each take a game, and they prepare the team and they come up with a game plan. They've done a great job in this whole streak of coming up with something that makes sense that we can follow. These guys do a great job of following it. Elston, he really had them down."

All coaches tailor defensive game plans to fit the opponent, searching for ways to send help to defend opponents that create the greatest matchup problems. But they make those adjustments to varying degrees.

Van Gundy leaned toward certain philosophies and preferences; Adelman is more pliable based on opponents' strengths and weakness. Where Van Gundy's defenses excelled through a disciplined adherence to the preparation and plan, Adelman's allows for more interpretation and adjustment during the game.

"The more you do this stuff, the more you get better," Turner said. "There's a certain pride on the defensive end with this group. They really pay attention to detail."

More of the same
In the previous four seasons, the Rockets were second three times, first once in opposing field-goal percentage. This season, they are second, allowing opponents to make 43.6 percent of their shots. In the previous four seasons, the Rockets were between third and fifth in opponents' scoring. This season, they are fourth, allowing 92.5 points.

After three years as one of Van Gundy's most ardent believers, McGrady praised the way things have gone with his successors — even if he did not offer an Elston Turner imitation.

"I can't say enough about the guys on this team and the coaching staff, how well they have us prepared going into games," McGrady said of the defense. "We have a great bunch of guys. More importantly, I think the chemistry is there. I think we're getting that from the first guy to the last guy, the veterans to the rookies. We all get it. We all want to do well for one another."

The Franchise
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Great article man thanks. Sometimes i think the defense is actually better than under Jeff. The in game adjustments are the biggest difference.

Sec24Row7
02-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Adleman always gets destroyed in the playoffs by the opposing coach dont worry...

robbie380
02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Adleman always gets destroyed in the playoffs by the opposing coach dont worry...

that's why he has been to 2 finals.

Sec24Row7
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
and won?

oops...

So...

Rick "OMG I felt a boob under the bra I was so getting there" Adelman

Roxsfan
02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
and won?

oops...

So...

Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. The spurs should know that for sure...even year so might as well start fishing.

robbie380
02-24-2008, 07:53 PM
and won?

oops...

So...

nah but you act like he is a complete playoff failure.

The Franchise
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. The spurs should know that for sure...even year so might as well start fishing.
Let them sleep on us. we just kicked another team in the nuts for twelve straight. When they finally realize what we are it will be to late. :devil