PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Thomas learning ropes

greens
02-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Spurs Notebook: Thomas learning ropes

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022408.spursnotes.en.3e174f1.html
Web Posted: 02/24/2008 12:19 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

Kurt Thomas walked into the Spurs' locker room at the AT&T Center hours before Saturday's game against the New Orleans Hornets with a suitcase in his hand and a smile on his face.

He had come straight from the airport after a flight from Seattle, arriving in time for a pregame workout and a chance to say hello to his new teammates as they arrived.

Acquired from the Seattle SuperSonics in a Thursday trade that cost the Spurs Brent Barry and Francisco Elson, along with a 2009 first-round draft pick, Thomas donned a Spurs uniform and watched the game from the bench. The 13-year NBA veteran was bewildered a bit watching Gregg Popovich signal plays from the sideline like a third-base coach giving signs to a baseball hitter.

"I'm going to have to work on my sign language," said Thomas, a 35-year-old power forward-center. :lol

Thomas, a Texas native who went to TCU, said he was thrilled when he learned that San Antonio was his new home base.

His first reaction when the Sonics told him of the trade?

"Wow," he said. "I was completely taken by surprise. Knowing I was coming back to Texas always makes me feel good. To know the tradition and history of this team, and what they stand for and what they do out there on the floor just makes me feel good inside. I'm just looking to go out there and contribute in any way I can."

Thomas smiled after hearing that Popovich said he had been trying to acquire the power forward since the veteran played for the Knicks.

"That means a lot," he said. "When a team really has interest in you and wants you to be part of their system, it definitely makes you feel good inside. I hope I can come in and jell with these guys and help these guys get a win."

Amazing feats: Tim Duncan couldn't decide which was the more amazing feat in Saturday's 98-89 victory over the Hornets: Robert Horry's two-handed dunk in the third quarter or the fact the Spurs made all 17 of their free throws.

"It's been like 1963 since (Rob) two-hand dunked like that," Duncan said of his 37-year-old teammate. :lol

The last time the Spurs were perfect from the foul line in a game was on Feb. 18, 2005, when they made 18 against Memphis. That was too long ago for Duncan to recall.

"We haven't had a (perfect) night like that since, well, I don't think we've ever had a night like that," Duncan said. "We're shooting the ball well from the line right now and taking advantage of everything."

Duncan hit five foul shots, giving him 13 in a row and making him 23 of 26 during the past five games.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-24-2008, 03:15 AM
"Wow," he said. "I was completely taken by surprise. Knowing I was coming back to Texas always makes me feel good. To know the tradition and history of this team, and what they stand for and what they do out there on the floor just makes me feel good inside.

:hungry: Can't wait to see what KT can bring to the table.

cnyc3
02-24-2008, 03:29 AM
anyone have a clip of this horry dunk? they didn't show it on nba, yahoo or espn highlights (websites).

Speaking of which, Timmy had 3 dunks tonight? when's the last time that happened? :toast

J.T.
02-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Hmm the last time the Spurs had a perfect game from the line was in late Feburary in a title year... I'm starting to think all this "history repeating itself" talk might not be bullshit.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2008, 07:00 AM
anyone have a clip of this horry dunk? they didn't show it on nba, yahoo or espn highlights (websites).

Speaking of which, Timmy had 3 dunks tonight? when's the last time that happened? :toast
I know, I wanted some of the plays to go on NBA.com, because that was a really exciting game but none of them made the Daily top 10.

greens
02-24-2008, 07:01 AM

Those dunks were awesome!

WalterBenitez
02-24-2008, 08:29 AM
WHen KT is startign to play, I'd like to see him in Spurs uniform

SirChaz
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Congratulations on getting Thomas.

That guy is going to be a solid player for your team.

td4mvp21
02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Hopefully Thomas can pick up the system quick and start contributing, I can't wait to see what he can do offensively and defensively.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I really want to see KT and TD out there together, he doesn't have that much time to get used to the Spurs system before the postseason

CaptainLate
02-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Congratulations on getting Thomas.

That guy is going to be a solid player for your team.

Thank you, SirChaz. We think so. And here's a comment from a FLaker blog that agrees with you:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/pdloos/2008/02/21/A_review_of_the_20072008_NBA_trades

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs
Brent Barry, Francisco Elson, cash, 1st round pick to the Sonics
I simply cannot for the life of me understand this trade for the Sonics. All these wink-wink, behind-the-scenes, ball-washing deals are getting ridiculous. Presti and Carlisimo, old buddies of Buford and Popovich, should be ashamed of themselves. As a Lakers fan, this was the one trade that made me say, “@$*%!” because this is a ridiculous steal for the Spurs. Just when you think you’ve gotten a leg up on the champs, they get a guy like Kurt Thomas who is PERFECT for their team. The Sonics basically received a low first round pick. That’s it. Yeah, Barry and Elson are expiring contracts. BUT SO IS KURT THOMAS!! And he can actually play! Geez, this one just made me want to slap someone.
Spurs: A+
Sonics: F-

boutons_
02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Robert has been VERY active, mobile in the last couple games, epitomized by the 2-handed dunk.

I wonder what woke him up, esp in Feb?

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Robert has been VERY active, mobile in the last couple games, epitomized by the 2-handed dunk.

They were gonna trade him instead of Brent at first? :p:

ducks
02-24-2008, 05:59 PM

he does not want kurt to get his minutes :smokin

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 06:01 PM
he does not want kurt to get his minutes :smokin

Oh. that to.