PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Old Manu instead of New Orleans

greens
02-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Buck Harvey: Old Manu instead of New Orleans
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA022408.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.3e173d0.html

Web Posted: 02/24/2008 12:24 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Anybody else, this would be payback. This would be a shunned superstar, a prideful guy. He would be trying to show the world he deserved to be in New Orleans for the All-Star Game.

Manu Ginobili began this run, after all, about the time he learned he'd be free last weekend.

But Ginobili isn't anybody else. He's an odd assortment of arms and legs, with a big nose and a bigger engine, and he's spent a career getting revved up and taking his chassis places it shouldn't go.

It just happened Saturday, instead of going to New Orleans, New Orleans came to him.

A week ago, Dwight Howard wore a Superman outfit for a dunk contest, and now it's clear he borrowed it. The big "S" has been under No. 20.

Ginobili has gone from 34 points and 15 rebounds in Toronto to a 46-point, eight-assist night in Cleveland. Minnesota got to see both a 44-point exhibition and a game-winner, and then came Saturday when he let down his teammates.

A mere 30 points and a dozen assists is, by his standard, a dip.

The Spurs needed all of it against a talented Hornets team that was well represented as the All-Star host. These teams are now tied for the division lead, and the Spurs wouldn't be close without Ginobili. It's not a stretch to say the Spurs would have lost five of their last six games without him wearing the cape.

At least they would have beaten Charlotte without Ginobili, although he led the Spurs in scoring that night, too. That also was the night he argued about a call with a ref, and Gregg Popovich told him to stop.

Ginobili said something back to Popovich, and Popovich went Bobby Knight. He pointed to the bench, told Ginobili to sit down and brought in Bruce Bowen to replace him.

Anybody else, this would have been an issue. Ginobili responded by, well, sitting down. Within a few minutes, Ginobili was back on the floor, his feelings intact.

Every coach should love this. So why didn't the Western Conference coaches, who voted for the All-Star reserves?

P.J. Carlesimo would have voted for Ginobili, naturally. Mike D'Antoni, George Karl, Nate McMillan, Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan and Rick Adelman should have. Ginobili has helped eliminate each of them from the playoffs.

But pressed with tough choices in a competitive conference, they opted for, among others, a gifted, young player in Portland named Brandon Roy. Roy impressed in December when the Blazers went on a winning streak; now he's heading for the lottery again.

Maybe the finger that required a splint scuttled Ginobili's chances, as did a so-so stretch earlier in the season. But he also put together back-to-back 37-point games without Tim Duncan to beat both Utah and Dallas. Given what Ginobili has done every spring in fourth quarters, why would the coaches ignore that to reward someone for a great December?

When asked, Ginobili is diplomatic. He would love to be an All-Star, but he needed the rest. Besides, he said, "I know who I am."

But maybe he doesn't know this Manu Ginobili. He says he never scored more than 40 points even once in his years in Italy, and now the basket looks bigger than it ever has.

It must have with about two minutes left against the Hornets. Then, with a seven-point lead, Duncan rebounded and threw a long outlet pass to Ginobili. None of the Spurs were within 20 feet of the basket, meaning Ginobili should have pulled up and dribbled down the clock.

He instead fired. As the ball left Ginobili's hands, Duncan raised his into the air to signal a 3-pointer. Popovich stood with arms folded and didn't change his expression.

"He was waiting," Ginobili said, smiling, "for the result."

The result was a swish. The engine inside of him revved again, and he drove fullcourt as if he couldn't build the lead fast enough. On the next possession, he threw a pass to Duncan that required a radar gun.

Minutes later, Duncan had Ginobili's head in his hands, in a gesture of appreciation.

One All-Star. And one who should have been.

whottt
02-24-2008, 03:05 AM
But Ginobili isn't anybody else. He's an odd assortment of arms and legs, with a big nose and a bigger engine

:lol

greens
02-24-2008, 03:07 AM

I missed that line!

THE SIXTH MAN
02-24-2008, 03:11 AM
he said, "I know who I am."

Fucking straight up pimp right there! :fro

tp2021
02-24-2008, 03:12 AM
He's an odd assortment of arms and legs, with a big nose and a bigger engine,

and HUUUUUGE CAJONES!!!

SuperManu!!!
02-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Manu is pissed because Dwight Howard Stole his cape!!!

smeagol
02-24-2008, 05:43 AM
It just happened Saturday, instead of going to New Orleans, New Orleans came to him.

Ditka thread material

Deimosfobos
02-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Epic win all over

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm gonna second what SIXTH MAN said - "I know who I am". That's all you need to know about the great Manu Ginobili. :D

m33p0
02-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Ginobili said something back to Popovich, and Popovich went Bobby Knight. He pointed to the bench, told Ginobili to sit down and brought in Bruce Bowen to replace him.
Ditka may not be able to stop Manu on any given night, but Pop sure can using only a finger. :lol

manubili
02-24-2008, 08:00 AM
and HUUUUUGE CAJONES!!!

I think you mean cOjones. CAJONES are "drawers" in spanish.

But yeah, Manu should have big CAJONES for his several rings, medals, etc.

WalterBenitez
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Manu is pissed because Dwight Howard Stole his cape!!!

whottt
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Ditka may not be able to stop Manu on any given night, but Pop sure can using only a finger. :lol

Actually Pop was fired when Manu was named coach at the beginning of the 02 season for not bringing Manu over sooner....Manu's just been letting Pop think he coaches the team all this time to boost his self confidence. He also owns the team and is letting Holt think he owns it for similar reasons.

It actually goes much higher than that...

I mean isn't it becoming more and more obvious right now who really owns the NBA? :smokin

Solid D
02-24-2008, 10:20 AM
The result was a swish. The engine inside of him revved again, and he drove fullcourt as if he couldn't build the lead fast enough.

This perfectly describes Manu's rush. The 4th quarter separation and winning run at the end!

howbouthemspurs
02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Manu is not only an all star but a future hall of famer in my book.

Deimosfobos
02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Manu is not only an all star but a future hall of famer in my book.

I think is safe to say Manu is a future hall of famer in everyones book... :reading

CaptainLate
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna second what SIXTH MAN said - "I know who I am". That's all you need to know about the great Manu Ginobili. :D

It was better for Manu NOT to have been picked. He needed the All-Star rest. What is a bit surprising is that he comes back after 5 days off and hasn't missed a beat. I suspect Pop is going to ride this steam engine and won't have him coming back off the bench until he cools down. Hopefully, that won't queer :depressed his chances for winning Sixth Man of the Year. :king

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 03:57 PM
The Spurs are blessed to have a player with Manu's burning desire to win. The man has already won so many Championships, and yet it's quite clear that he's playing like a man hungry for his first.

There are a lot of players and teams who relax after a Championship and rest on their laurels. Manu is not one of them. He's got that Jordanesque ego and ferocious determination to win. And although he's not as flashy, I think Duncan is exactly the same. Those 2 guys are never content with what they've achieved in the past.

So I'm feeling pretty damn good about the Spurs' chance to repeat. The addition of Kurt Thomas gave me a huge sense of relief. I'm no longer worried about us matching up with the Suns' and Lakers' new-found size.

As Kurt Rambis said, Thomas is one of the best low-post defenders in the league.

Go Spurs Go!!!

SenorSpur
02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Manu is on a roll, unlike we've seen since the 2005 playoffs. Had he not cooled off during the final 3 games, he could've easily been the Finals MVP.

The basketball world only acknowledges the Spurs greatness when they see the Larry O'Brien trophy being paraded down the river.

Agloco
02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I think is safe to say Manu is a future hall of famer in everyones book... :reading

He's probably going to need about 3-4 more solid years like this to be a serious contender for HOF. I'm not sure he can keep this sort of pace up into his mid thirties. While he's in superb condition, I worry about that his wreckless style of play will get him into trouble when he's older. I would agree however that if his career ended after today (knock on wood....), at least his number would be retired.

A bit off point, but I would make the same argument as above for Parker.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
He's probably going to need about 3-4 more solid years like this to be a serious contender for HOF. I'm not sure he can keep this sort of pace up into his mid thirties. While he's in superb condition, I worry about that his wreckless style of play will get him into trouble when he's older. I would agree however that if his career ended after today (knock on wood....), at least his number would be retired.

A bit off point, but I would make the same argument as above for Parker.

It's the basketball HOF. Not the NBA HOF. Manu has won world championships, gold medals, and NBA championships. He'll be in.

Agloco
02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
It's the basketball HOF. Not the NBA HOF. Manu has won world championships, gold medals, and NBA championships. He'll be in.

Agreed. The difference wasn't explicitly stated though.