PDA

View Full Version : Spurs quiet buzz: Ginobili's 30 points turn away Hornets

greens
02-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Spurs quiet buzz: Ginobili's 30 points turn away Hornets

Web Posted: 02/24/2008 12:28 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

In the quiet of the Spurs' locker room, still an hour before the team's Southwest Division showdown with New Orleans, Manu Ginobili was in the midst of his pregame ritual.

He slipped on his socks — first the left, then the right — then laced each of his shoes into an ordinary bow. Hopping up from the seat in front of his locker stall, Ginobili clapped once, then offered the following inadvertent warning to Saturday night's opponent: "Here we go again."

Here we go again, indeed.

Not long after completing his pregame routine, Ginobili commenced with the kind of performance that, for him, also is becoming routine.

His ho-hum 30-point night in a 98-89 victory over New Orleans came with a twist. Ginobili also handed out a career-best 12 assists to help the Spurs hold off a late Hornets surge and forge a tie for the division lead.

"I love watching Manu, and I think it's a shame he didn't make the All-Star Game," said the Spurs' Robert Horry, whose team has won nine of its past 10. "When you have a player like Manu on your team, it makes a huge difference."

Horry can rest assured: If there were an All-Star Game at the three-quarter pole of the season, Ginobili would be a shoo-in.

Saturday's game marked the fifth in a row Ginobili has led the Spurs in scoring. Testament to the sizzle with which he's done it: His latest point total was only his fourth-best over that span.

During his streak, Ginobili has posted an amazing sort of triple double: He notched career-highs for points in regulation (46 vs. Cleveland), assists and rebounds (15 vs. Toronto).

"I don't remember having a streak this good," Ginobili said. "Of course, I'm happy. And the team keeps winning, so I'm double happy for that."

Physical, tough and — after New Orleans had handed them their worst loss of the season in this same arena less than a month before — more than a little irritable, the Spurs put the Hornets through the wringer in the rematch.

The victory was a significant one for the Spurs, given the logjam atop conference. They are one of four teams, including the Hornets, tied in the loss column.

Both teams are 35-17.

"You can end up first through ninth as far as seeding goes," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You can't really decide you're going to turn it on a little bit later. It's got to be turned on now."

Tim Duncan had 25 points and 11 rebounds for the Spurs, while Tony Parker — starting his first game since coming off the injured list earlier this week — chipped in 10. It marked the first time the Spurs' Big Three had started together this season.

Chris Paul had 27 points to lead New Orleans, but that was partially by the Spurs' design. After David West and Peja Stojakovic took turns torching them on Jan. 26, the Spurs decided to force Paul to do the heavy lifting.

Paul, averaging 10.9 assists per game, had just four Saturday. West and Stojakovic, who had combined for 54 points in last month's game, had 16 and 11, respectively, this time.

But a 19-2 Hornets run, capped by a layup from recently acquired guard Mike James, tied the game with 7:05 left. The Spurs did not manage a fourth-quarter field goal until the 4:50 mark, when Ginobili knifed in for a bucket.

Bruce Bowen buried the first big basket of the stretch run, a 3-pointer from the corner with 2:36 left that put the Spurs up 91-84. Moments later, Ginobili — who else? — supplied the dagger.

He took a deep outlet pass from Duncan and pulled up for a 3-pointer that, had it been anybody else, would have been ill-advised.

Popovich, monitoring from the sideline, didn't flinch a muscle. Duncan, still standing at the opposite foul line, raised his arms in anticipation of a celebration.

"I was willing it in, I guess," Duncan said.

The shot swished true, giving the Spurs a 10-point lead heading into the final two minutes.

For Ginobili, it was all part of the routine.

ancestron
02-24-2008, 04:07 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/thetruth0314/manu.jpg