PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth Surgery

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
So I had my surgery Friday morning (all 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted so I had to get them removed).

I am on Day 3 now and feel like I am slooooooooowly dying. I can't eat ANYTHING because of nausea, vomiting, or because my mouth just plain hurts. I gave up on the Vicodane and switched to Motrin cuz my stomach couldn't take it. Downside is, the pain lasts a lot longer now. I can't sleep, I can't open my mouth...and I don't even want to look in a mirror at my face!!

Luckily I took off tommorow from work, but this sucks, because I had assumed I'd be fine and ready to go back to work Tuesday.

Anyone else have their wisdom teeth removed and care to share their tips for a speedy recovery? Even though it is about 10 degrees here in Philly with snow outside, I've still managed to put ice on my face though it doesn't seem to be helping the swelling any.

How long did it take everyone to recovery? The Dr was saying it sometimes takes people about 10 days for the swelling and pain to go away...I can't afford that! I got a ton of shit to do at work!! :depressed

I love how the Dr. made it seem like this is such a minor surgery when it has become a pain in my ass!~ :pctoss

Heath Ledger
02-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I ate a cheeseburger a few hours after mine were removed when i was in the navy all 4 at once. You must have a fucked up dentist.

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I feel your pain!! Wisdom teeth is definitely the most miserable thing I ever experienced. I also had the pain med nausea and vomiting. Switching to Motrin is a good idea but be sure you are taking alot of it---like 800 to 1200mg at a time. That can be hard on your tummy so be sure you have enough food--soft things like jellow and pudding. I found that anything warm/hot made the pain worse. Also keeping my head elevated and not lying flat helped. The swelling was down in about 3-4 days the pain decreased gradually but I wasn't pain-free for about 10-12 days. But the first couple of days I could not do anything but sit on my bed and cry! A total drag considering I was a newlywed of less than a month and my poor hubby got real tired of me real fast!!

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
^:lmao Wow that sucks, you were a newlywed when you had it done? I am NOT letting ANYONE see me like this!! HAHA, I can't even look at MYSELF in the mirror!

Not to mention the ridiculous amount of weight I've lost the past couple of months, with the tooth ache as it was growing and now the surgery. My sweatpants are even loose on me!! :depressed

I'm hoping the swelling at least goes down soon, I just don't know what else to do to speed up the process. I don't think it's gotten any better since Friday which has me worried :(

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Even worse than being a newlywed, was the fact that my teeth had been flaring up, off and on for about a year. Then on the day of the wedding I felt it coming on and bam! it almost incapacitated me! Our wedding was in the evening on the outside pool deck of a fancy hi-rise hotel so after the wedding part I headed upstairs to the suite and got in bed and cried while all the guests ate, drank and danced until the wee hours!! :depressed

ShoogarBear
02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I am on Day 3 now and feel like I am slooooooooowly dying. I can't eat ANYTHING because of nausea, vomiting, or because my mouth just plain hurts. I gave up on the Vicodane and switched to Motrin cuz my stomach couldn't take it. Downside is, the pain lasts a lot longer now. I can't sleep, I can't open my mouth...and I don't even want to look in a mirror at my face!!When I got my first one taken out, it was the first time I had ever taken Tylenol #3. Those knocked me out, but made me feel ill. Motrin worked much better. When I had to get others taken out later, the Motrin didn't work, but I discovered the joys of Percocet.

I was fine in about 2-3 days, though.

I love how the Dr. made it seem like this is such a minor surgery when it has become a pain in my ass!~ :pctossIf that's really true, then you went to the wrong kind of doctor.

(Actually, that sounds very Jim-like)

Heath Ledger
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
i was fine the same day with all 4 you have a shitty dentist. i ate a cheeseburger withing a few hours. and fries with salt because im a badass like that.

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Heath, you may have had a wonderful doctor, but you may have also had uncomplicated wisdom teeth. All 4 of mine were severely impacted, lying on their sides and were one of the worst cases my doc had ever seen. But she was honest from the beginning and after seeing the xrays told me it was a major deal and was not going to be easy. And while you being a badass helped your situation, me being a wimpy cry-baby did not help mine! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Some people have problems with vicodin. Call your doc and ask him to prescribe you hydrocodone instead, it's easier on the stomach but has the same effect.

Soak some tea bags in water, and then put one in your mouth on each side of your mouth and softly bite down. There are chemicals in the tea that will sooth the removal sites.

Good luck.

SpursWoman
02-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Out of the 4 I had removed, only one popped right out ... the rest had to be broken up to be removed. The only difference in pain between that and child birth (other than geography, of course) was that child birth was over quicker.

Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, but I don't remember it lasting more than 3 or 4 days. Just make sure you keep the holes packed with gauze to minimize your chances of dry sockets.

pussyface
02-24-2008, 04:15 PM
diagnosis: your dentist is a hack or you are somewhat of a pussy.
based on you not being man enough to stomach vikodin, I am inclined to go with the latter.

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
based on you not being man enough to stomach vikodin, I am inclined to go with the latter.

Well, seeing as how I'm a woman, I guess that makes it ok I can't stomach vicodane?

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Some people have problems with vicodin. Call your doc and ask him to prescribe you hydrocodone instead, it's easier on the stomach but has the same effect.

Soak some tea bags in water, and then put one in your mouth on each side of your mouth and softly bite down. There are chemicals in the tea that will sooth the removal sites.

Good luck.

Ohh really, tea?? That sounds like it'll taste like shit, but at this point I may try it!! :(

And I think I did go to a crappy dentist, but I was in a rush since my mouth had been hurting for like a month and it's hard to find a FRICKIN dentist that accepts my insurance, etc. apparently. I called like 10 different places.

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Out of the 4 I had removed, only one popped right out ... the rest had to be broken up to be removed. The only difference in pain between that and child birth (other than geography, of course) was that child birth was over quicker.

Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, but I don't remember it lasting more than 3 or 4 days. Just make sure you keep the holes packed with gauze to minimize your chances of dry sockets.

You know, thats what I was thinking; How the hell am I ever going to manage childbirth (whenever I have kids) if I can't even bare the pain of wisdom tooth surgery! :lol

angel_luv
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Feel better, Friend! :)

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh and is it normal to feel the stitches?! :lol

SpursWoman
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh and is it normal to feel the stitches?! :lol

Yeah, and they are easy to confuse with angel hair pasta. Don't ask. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM

:lol

Oh, one other thing on the tea, squeeze them out before you put in. You don't want them sopping wet, but they will be damp/waterlogged.

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I had my wisdom teeth out on the day after Thanksgiving about 20 years ago (sigh). I must have had a miracle-worker for an oral surgeon, because I was pain-free by the following Sunday. I had my face packed in ice for most of the first afternoon, had gause pads on the wounds that entire day, was highly medicated so that I could sleep, and when I woke up I religiously did salt-water rinses to clean the wounds. I didn't eat for about 36 hours, but I was on my regular diet more or less by Monday and had very little swelling left over at that point.

I must have been incredibly fortunate.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmmmmm... I have one impacted, but the other three are fine. I've been putting off having it out for a while.

What did you people have for anaesthetic? Local or general? What would you recommend?

I'm a pussy, so I'm thinking general, extra risks be damned.

ShoogarBear
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
The only difference in pain between that and child birth (other than geography, of course) was that child birth was over quicker.Oh, good. Next time I hear a wimmen complain about pregnancy, I'll have a retort.

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I had my wisdom teeth out on the day after Thanksgiving about 20 years ago (sigh). I must have had a miracle-worker for an oral surgeon, because I was pain-free by the following Sunday. I had my face packed in ice for most of the first afternoon, had gause pads on the wounds that entire day, was highly medicated so that I could sleep, and when I woke up I religiously did salt-water rinses to clean the wounds. I didn't eat for about 36 hours, but I was on my regular diet more or less by Monday and had very little swelling left over at that point.

I must have been incredibly fortunate.

:flipoff You were fortunate!! I've been doing those same exact things and am still in pain and my face is still swollen 3 days later!

ShoogarBear
02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/Canadian-Rockies/Chipmunk_Cheeks_sharp.sized.jpg

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 07:20 PM

:lmao That's good to hear. I thought it was the inside of my skin peeling or something.

:vomit: Don't ask.....:lol

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
and that's why you get the wisdom teeth removed BEFORE they grow so deep as to fuck everything up

That's what I did. One of them had started to grow (hence my pain). Then X-RAYS showed, all 4 were impacted and it'd be best to remove them all at once :)

I actually think it's easier to have them removed AFTER they've grown.....

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmm... I have one impacted, but the other three are fine. I've been putting off having it out for a while.

What did you people have for anaesthetic? Local or general? What would you recommend?

I'm a pussy, so I'm thinking general, extra risks be damned.
Nitrous oxide; it was totally pain free procedure until about 3 hours later then BAM!!!!

SpursWoman
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I didn't get knocked out, I ended up getting 27 shots in my mouth before it was all said and done. He did it that way so I wouldn't end up with the anesthesia hangover that can make you vomit. So, I actually was perfectly aware of them grinding up my jaw.

Oh, good. Next time I hear a wimmen complain about pregnancy, I'll have a retort.

But I had an epidural and some other good drugs ... and had developed quite a threshold for pain by then ... so that retort probably won't work on too many other women besides me. :lol

ALVAREZ6
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
hmm....I had all my wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago, I thought it was a walk in the park. I didn't feel an ounce of pain the entire process. The only thing that I didn't like was not being able to feel the food in my mouth after the surgery when I still felt the local anesthesia. That shit was weird...chewing but not feeling anything in you're mouth, I had no idea when to swallow.

ShoogarBear
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
It's always a lot easier to get wisdom teeth out when you're young.

You don't have enough brain cells then to register the pain.

Fillmoe
02-24-2008, 08:42 PM
what a biggity bitch... i had all four teeth pulled out and 2 hours later i was playing ball on the courts

RashoFan
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I ate a cheeseburger a few hours after mine were removed when i was in the navy all 4 at once. You must have a fucked up dentist.
I am surprised that you didn't get a fucked up dentist yourself...they pull em while you were at boot???

1Parker1....I hope you feel better soon...I remember being on a mash potatoes and jello diet for a few days...For pain...I had Tylenol 3...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Young Shoog getting his teeth pulled.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/465511001_77deeb9a6c.jpg

Fillmoe
02-25-2008, 12:49 AM
thats not a young shoog.... thats a grown sequ....

ShoogarBear
02-25-2008, 12:54 AM
http://www.packaging-technology.com/projects/diageobottling/images/5-johnny-walker.jpg http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/pliers-1.jpg

Dentists are for pussies.

marini martini
02-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Back before the war, I went in the hospital to get mine removed. As my lower left was sitting above a cyst. Don't ask, only time I got a stay in the hosp. for more than 2 nights! Good times :toast

Was eating tamales 3 days afterwards :hungry:

Fillmoe
02-25-2008, 12:56 AM
i only sip blue label

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
http://students.umf.maine.edu/~pendlecv/Civil%20War%20Webquest/civil-war-lincoln-pinkerton.jpg

ShoogarBear
02-25-2008, 01:03 AM
http://blog.simslearningconnections.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/old-hand-drill-small.jpg

Heath Ledger
02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Nah it wasn't in boot camp it was in A school for Electronics.