PDA

View Full Version : Kelenna Azubuike

picnroll
02-24-2008, 02:11 PM
It's way premature but this is a guy the Spurs should go after this summer to shore up the swing man position. The Warriors will be pinned down making offers to Biedrins and Ellis so he should be obtainable. Young, athletic, all around player with a decent outside shot.

tp2021
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
i say we enjoy this ride the spurs are on right now, and worry about that FO stuff later....

Matchman
02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Young, athletic, all around player with a decent outside shot......on an ultra run and gun team that does not require a player to play defense?

picnroll
02-24-2008, 02:15 PM
i say we enjoy this ride the spurs are on right now, and worry about that FO stuff later....
Sorry to hear about your limited focusing capacity.

AFBlue
02-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Azubuike and James Jones will be pimped as favorites for the "under the radar" signing this next summer by the Spurs.

Either would be nice, and both would make this team significantly younger than it currently is.

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 02:55 PM
You'd have to come with a strong offer as he'll be a RFA. But do you commit, say $20 mil over 4 years to a 24 year old guard who hasn't averaged more than 9 points a night in the NBA, let alone played more than one complete season?

ChumpDumper
02-24-2008, 03:00 PM
This guy I like.

But we're probably not going to get anyone who wants more than two years unless he's awesome and available for just the MLE.

picnroll
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Spurs have a decision, are they going to hold off for 2010 or making themselves strong for the 3-4 years Duncan has left in the tank?

hater
02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
sign him. he got sick dunks and blocks

ss1986v2
02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
hes one of the three wings on my list, along with james jones and carlos delfino. spurs probably end up going in a totally different direction, but these players are the ones i really want.

ChuckD
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
3.9 boards in 21 minutes? And a great 3 pointer? Where do I sign?

I also want to hear the national TV buffoons trip over saying "Azbuike and Udoka in the backcourt..."

nkdlunch
02-24-2008, 05:03 PM
too much $.

get Walter Hermann, he is as good or better. Detroit is not using him

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Herrmann and Bonzi Wells split the MLE?

Bruno
02-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Spurs will need some youth at the wing next year.
I don't know a lot Azubuike but it could be an interesting name.
It will be interesting to see if Spurs will eat a part of the 2010 capspace by offering a contract longer than 2 years to player.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Artest would probably be worth scrapping 2010.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
hes one of the three wings on my list, along with james jones and carlos delfino. spurs probably end up going in a totally different direction, but these players are the ones i really want.

I'd be happy with any of those three.

Hermann is a 3-4.

As for Bonzi, fuck him, great rebounder, Spur-killer, but I don't want to barrack for him because he's a selfish headcase.

loveforthegame
02-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I watch a lot of Warrior games being near the bay area and Azubuike would be a perfect fit here. He's tough, hustles, plays defense, does all the little things that often go unnoticed. He has a knack for rebounds and putbacks and has great timing. You'll be asking yourself how'd he get that rebound as he sorts sneaks in without you realizing it.

Indazone
02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Azubuike, yeah another JVG and Caroll Dawson stupid move.

ThomasGranger
02-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Seems like Azubuike and Ime are cut from the same cloth. Too bad the Spurs didn't go after him while he was still in the D-league. Still, he's one of the few players I'd really like to see them try to sign this summer.

objective
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
has everyone forgotten about Mickael Pietrus?

He's also a free agent this summer.

And considering that he's already 26 and hasn't improved much since his rookie year, has had a down season this year . . .

hell, he might come cheaper than Azubuike.

ss1986v2
02-24-2008, 07:20 PM

And considering that he's already 26 and hasn't improved much since his rookie year, has had a down season this year . . .

he might, but hes also as dumb as a shoe (think elson on the wing), and may not have the ceiling that buike does at this point (and buikes ceiling isnt very high at all, what you see may very well be what you get with buike).

the phrase "cheap for a reason" comes to mind...

Pistons < Spurs
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
too much $.

get Walter Hermann, he is as good or better. Detroit is not using him
I think the plan/hope is that after Jarvis Hayes plays out this years contract, we bring Hermann back as Tayshaun's main backup.

AFBlue
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Too obvious....

Pietrus has always been one of those guys that the Spurs should theoretically be interested in because he's foreign, athletic, and has good defensive potential.

But for all the interest Pietrus has gotten on this forum (myself included), I haven't seen anything to suggest that he's actually someone the Spurs would target.

Having said that, the one thing that makes him more likely than Azubuike is his unrestricted status as a FA....and that could be enough.

I honestly wouldn't mind either, but like I said....Pietrus just looks too obvious to actually be a Spur.

debo
02-24-2008, 08:42 PM

i agree. we dont know what the spurs could be like come next year, especially since we're gonna play more games this season than any other team besides the pistons :fro

dastrey
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I would prefer Azubuike over Pietrus. Hopefully the Spurs can nab him for a reasonable contract.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I think he'd be good. His name is cool as well.

SenorSpur
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM

Actually, I would like Mikael Pietrus too. I know he doesn't have a high BBIQ, but I'm confident Pop could turn him around. After all, he already is a willing defender. Because of his down year, it's likely he command demands in free agency wont be unreasonable.

I also like James Jones. We know he's a superb shooter, but I don't know how well he defends.

Corey Maggette still intrigues me too. Fantastic offensive player, Great mid range game, attacks the rim, and is a fantastic FT shooter. Has the athleticism to be a better defender. Problem is his price may be too steep.

I want to see the Spurs add one veteran swingman, who is in the early or mid part of their career. They can add yet another swingman via the draft or from the D-league.

It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do with Finley and/or Barry, assuming he comes back. I can't see how they keep both next season.

ChuckD
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Low BBIQ players fail in this system. If Pietrus hasn't figured it out yet, he's no good to us.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Actually, I would like Mikael Pietrus too. I know he doesn't have a high BBIQ, but I'm confident Pop could turn him around. After all, he already is a willing defender. Because of his down year, it's likely he command demands in free agency wont be unreasonable.

It's crazy to think that Pop can take someone who is as dumb on the court as Pietrus and somehow turn him around.

picnroll
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM

... because Elson and Nazr were such overwhelming successes as Spurs.

genomefreak13
02-25-2008, 01:39 AM
I'd be happy with any of those three.

Hermann is a 3-4.

As for Bonzi, fuck him, great rebounder, Spur-killer, but I don't want to barrack for him because he's a selfish headcase.

why can't we get Bonzi ? He seems to play good against the spurs, why not get him to play on our team. Pop signed Horry because his a pain in the ass for SA during playoffs - why not do the same for Bonzi. He's a good project for the future as well.

fyatuk
02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
why can't we get Bonzi ? He seems to play good against the spurs, why not get him to play on our team. Pop signed Horry because his a pain in the ass for SA during playoffs - why not do the same for Bonzi. He's a good project for the future as well.

There's a huge difference in personality between Horry and Bonzi. Bonzi is a team killer, Horry is a team player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Why? Because he's a selfish player with little mental focus who has had at least 5 chances to prove himself and busted every time. If you noticed some of the shots he took the other day you'd know what I mean.

Oh, and why do we need him? I'll take Ime's generally solid defensive play and rebounding (although he too, could work on his shot selection sometimes) over Bonzi any day.

Bonzi, for all his unfulfilled upside, is not a SPUR just like Artest is not.

nfg3
02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Talent coupled with a low BB IQ won't work in Spurland. As stated before think Elson and Nazr. Pietrus and Bonzi - for all the talent they have - aren't Spur material. So sad though to see players with so much talent waste the such an opportunity.

Mr. Body
02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
If they picked up Pietrus, they'd have to turn around and get rid of him again, just like Elson and many others.

tav1
02-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Do ya'll think that Bowen will play out his contract?

urunobili
02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
guys is Pietrus> Azubuike?

Indazone
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Spurs would do well getting either Azubuike or Pietrus. Both of them would be solid role players and on any given night be able to put 20 ppg on the board. I think also D. Nelson has not utilized them as well as he could.

picnroll
02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Rockets should sign Pietrus.

Thompson
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
How is Azubuike on defense? Granted it may be hard to judge seeing as he's playing for the Warriors, but has anyone seen him play defense with any intensity? I've been impressed with what little I've seen of him, although most of it has been on offense.