PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Van Gundy: "Manu 2nd best 2-Guard behind Kobe"

Solid D
02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Watching Pistons @ Suns today? In honor of the Oscars tonight, Jeff Van Gundy gave his awards for the NBA season thusfar

The Oscars... or rather, "The Van Gundys"

Best Actor: Chris Paul - has been MVP of the league so far.

Supporting Role: Tayshaun Prince - can play every position.. 3, 4, can handle the ball.

Foreign Film: Manu Ginobili - the 2nd best 2-guard in the NBA right now behind Kobe Bryant...just on a roll.

Animated Film: Stan Van Gundy - my brother, the most animated. The pain of coaching!

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Great. He'll bring back some real value in one of Casper's trades.

lefty
02-24-2008, 03:18 PM
It's refreshing to see someone at ESPN to mention players other than KG and LeBron

ducks
02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
ofcourse manu is better then james

Solid D
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Mike Breen questioned him about Manu but Mark Jackson and Jeff both retorted how well Manu had been playing at both ends of the floor. Jeff said "Is there a question?" Breen said, "well yeah I'm asking a question." and Van Gundy responded "No! Is there a question?" :lol Breen said, "what about Dwyane Wade?" Van Gundy said "Dwyane Wade? Now you've got my blood boiling! You can't lose 26 out of 27 games and be the best anything."

Indazone
02-24-2008, 03:35 PM
:p: OMG what's KillBill gonna say. JVG is supposed to hate Euros!

lefty
02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Mike Breen questioned him about Manu but Mark Jackson and Jeff both retorted how well Manu had been playing at both ends of the floor. Jeff said "Is there a question?" Breen said, "well yeah I'm asking a question." and Van Gundy responded "No! Is there a question?" :lol Breen said, "what about Dwyane Wade?" Van Gundy said "Dwyane Wade? Now you've got my blood boiling! You can't lose 26 out of 27 games and be the best anything."

JVG is a pimp :smokin

Jayem
02-24-2008, 03:56 PM
when did he say this, at what point during the game? i saw jacksons picks, did jvg have the the oscar graphics too? somehow i missed this and i'm here rewinding and i still can't find it

hater
02-24-2008, 03:56 PM
rascal probably hung himself in his bathroom

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I love it when Van Gundy's honest answers take Breen by surprise because they don't match the pre-packaged ESPN expectation.

Then again, that might be part of why Sean Elliott isn't working for ESPN anymore.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 04:05 PM
He sure is playing like the #1 SG right now. But we all know he can't keep this up, sooner or later he'll come back down to earth. And that is what separates Kobe from Manu.

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
He sure is playing like the #1 SG right now. But we all know he can't keep this up, sooner or later he'll come back down to earth. And that is what separates Kobe from Manu.

:rolleyes

Hard to hear when someone gets love beside Kobe Bryant? He said KB is first than Manu. He didn't even say he's the #1 SG.

P.S. ARe they really that separated? Kobe and Manu both have 3 rings...

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
:rolleyes

Hard to hear when someone gets love beside Kobe Bryant? He said KB is first than Manu. He didn't even say he's the #1 SG.

P.S. ARe they really that separated? Kobe and Manu both have 3 rings...

Kobe is clearly the superior player, in my opinion, but I think this recent run has opened a lot of eyes around the league about just how good Manu really is (on both ends) and at the difference his competitiveness makes for the Spurs. Rings are irrelevant in making that comparison. Kobe is one of the sublime offensive players of all-time. Manu is an excellent guard in today's game. That's still a big difference. It takes some pretty blinding homerism to not see that difference, IMO.

If Manu continues to make the kind of difference he's been making of late, he's going to be one of the few guys in history to not make the All-Star team at midseason but make one of the All-NBA clubs at the end of the season. Obviously, he's not going to be a first team guy, but I think there's at least a chance that Manu could earn his way onto the third team, which would be one hell of an accomplishment.

Solid D
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
when did he say this, at what point during the game? i saw jacksons picks, did jvg have the the oscar graphics too? somehow i missed this and i'm here rewinding and i still can't find it

It was earlier in the game, late 1st qtr. I think.

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Kobe is clearly the superior player, in my opinion, but I think this recent run has opened a lot of eyes around the league about just how good Manu really is (on both ends) and at the difference his competitiveness makes for the Spurs. Rings are irrelevant in making that comparison. Kobe is one of the sublime offensive players of all-time. Manu is an excellent guard in today's game. That's still a big difference. It takes some pretty blinding homerism to not see that difference, IMO.

If Manu continues to make the kind of difference he's been making of late, he's going to be one of the few guys in history to not make the All-Star team at midseason but make one of the All-NBA clubs at the end of the season. Obviously, he's not going to be a first team guy, but I think there's at least a chance that Manu could earn his way onto the third team, which would be one hell of an accomplishment.

I knew somebody would respond to what I said about the rings. I know Kobe is the superior player. He is better overall in every aspect. I was just trying to get on Laker fans nerves. And basically calling me a homer is not going to bother me. That word holds no negative connotation to me.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
^^^ you crack me up man. I give Manu his props though, without him the Spurs would not be the #2 seed right now.

Mr. Body
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
JVG on McLovin for Best Oscar was hilarious.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Van Gundy = best commentator out there.

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
^^^ you crack me up man. I give Manu his props though, without him the Spurs would not be the #2 seed right now.

If the Spurs and Lakers had played equal numbers of games at this point (with equal loss numbers) the Spurs would actually be the #1 seed, since they own the tiebreaker over LA for the moment.

batboy
02-24-2008, 04:45 PM

James is a 3 there, boss

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I knew somebody would respond to what I said about the rings. I know Kobe is the superior player. He is better overall in every aspect. I was just trying to get on Laker fans nerves. And basically calling me a homer is not going to bother me. That word holds no negative connotation to me.

Since you didn't call Manu the better player, I wasn't calling you a homer.

And I just think the "rings" arguments have gotten fairly ridiculous in most instances in which they're used around here.

Agloco
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Right after the Phoenix game started. Mid 1st quarter perhaps

Corrected....

lefty
02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Send JVG to TNT for Kenny Smith

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I love it when Van Gundy's honest answers take Breen by surprise because they don't match the pre-packaged ESPN expectation.

:lol :tu It's actually quite humorous. Van Gundy is also suprisingly funny. He even joked that the Rockets are on a roll now that they finally have a coach this year.

hater
02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Van Gundy is funny plus he is clearly not sold in the idea of the Shaq trade. he is smart too

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Actually I'm a woman. And you find me saying Kobe is a superior player over Manu funny how?

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Since you didn't call Manu the better player, I wasn't calling you a homer.

And I just think the "rings" arguments have gotten fairly ridiculous in most instances in which they're used around here.

I agree, but understand I was really trying to just get on Laker fans' nerves.

stretch
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Lebron isn't a 2 guard.

You fail, motherfucker.

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Man people are mean to Ducks.

stretch
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
cuz he's a stupidfuck. he asks for what he gets.

hater
02-24-2008, 05:52 PM
stop hatin on ducks. he's got mad posting skillz

smeagol
02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm ok with thte feathered one, except when he hates on Manu for no reason . . .

ducks
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Lebron isn't a 2 guard.

You fail, motherfucker.
lefty brought up james first why not call him out to :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Ducks can handle it. He gets called stupid everyday. :lol

But it rolls right off his back.

z0sa
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
maybe if he changes nothing he posts, but put punctuation, he would not be labled retarded.

T Park
02-24-2008, 09:13 PM
van gundy, breem, and jackson are a great tandem.

Demo Dick Marcinko
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM

And without Kobe the Lakers would be lottery bound.

gospursgojas
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm glad JVG doesn't hate on the spurs b.c they beat his team in the finals.

Other commentators let thier former NBA experiances with the spurs effect how they analyze the game now that they are not in it. EX: Reggie Miller, Greg Anthony

Rummpd
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
and the sky is blue and the grass is green.

Manu_Ginobili
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
WHAT??? MANU NUMBER 2??? VAN GUNDY IS DREAMING:

Tendex INDEX PER 48 MIN. STATS has been updated to include last night's games, and Manu has once again passed up Kobe to be the highest rated shooting guard for Tendex per 48 mins IN THE LEAGUE - Manu ahs 34.44 pts per 48 min. vs. Kobe's 34.02, which means Manu is more effective than Kobe:

http://www.dougstats.com/07-08Tendex.html

MyTendex/48min
Player Team Tend/48
1) ginobili,manu San 34.44
2) bryant,kobe LAL 34.02
3) wade,dwyane Mia 29.40
4) mcgrady,tracy Hou 27.16
5) redd,michael Mil 26.52
6) roy,brandon Por 26.32
7) carter,vince NJN 25.93
8) martin,kevin Sac 25.83
9) iguodala,andre Phi 25.18
10) miller,mike Mem 24.70
** Avg for Position = 19.14.

MANU NUMBER 1!!!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :ihit :ihit :ihit

Agloco
02-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Ducks Rawks :smokin

remingtonbo2001
02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Manu has a championship ring and a gold medal.

Can Kobe claim that?

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM

Can Kobe claim that?

Uhhh. Yes?

dbreiden83080
02-24-2008, 11:24 PM
You just get the feeling that if he can stay healthy this is going to continue for Manu the rest of the year. It is like at 30, he now finally understands all of it and is blossoming into an NBA superstar in front of our very eyes.

Medvedenko
02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Here we go again...let's give Manu props and leave it at that.

He's had a great run lately...if you look at Corey Maggete's stats the last 10 games and he's better than Kobe...big woop. Since Gasol came in Kobe's been coasting. I love how when Kobe gets crazy stats and insane #"s they are discounted on this board. However, when Manu gets good #'s he's lauded and applauded beyond scope. What do I expect from a Spurs board.

LakerMagic
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Manu is good, but he's not THAT good to do that day in and day out.

batboy
02-24-2008, 11:35 PM

Can Kobe claim that?

Hopefully after this summer Manu has his 4th ring and Kobe has his 1st gold medal.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2008, 11:38 PM

He's had a great run lately...if you look at Corey Maggete's stats the last 10 games and he's better than Kobe...big woop. Since Gasol came in Kobe's been coasting. I love how when Kobe gets crazy stats and insane #"s they are discounted on this board. However, when Manu gets good #'s he's lauded and applauded beyond scope. What do I expect from a Spurs board.
Yeah, but I don't think it's just the numbers. Also they're not just GOOD numbers, they're great numbers.

Everyone knows Kobe willl get his, so I dont think Spurs fans discount his insane numbers.
But if you want an example, Kobe played a great game against the Suns scoring 41 points on 25 shots...
But Manu's 44 point game was just as good and it was only on 18 shots. I don't think the overreaction and praise is unwarranted with his recent tear. And not only that, even on the statsheet, his recent play is even more impressive when watching the actual games.

That said, it's kind of like rooting for an underdog.

it'll always be an overreaction unless Manu sustains his level of play and continues to shred teams up with his recent deadly efficiency for the remainder of the year into the post-season.

remingtonbo2001
02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Uhhh. Yes?

Oh, my appologies.

Would you mind telling me when Kobe recieved a Gold Medal?

You might wanna check your facts. :)

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 11:44 PM

If it pisses you off so much then don't come to the SPURS board. Ofcourse people are going to think Manu's a god, and not going to acknowledge Kobe at the same. Alot of fans are from Argentina, and just don't give a shit about Kobe at all. They are just infatuated with Manu. And thats thier right. What do you expect from a Spurs board? Everyone knows Kobe's great. He's not the one leading our favorite team- the Spurs to victories though.

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Manu is good, but he's not THAT good to do that day in and day out.

Exactly, becuase he has Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Even Kobe can't do it all by himself. Thats why they needed to trade for Pau.

remingtonbo2001
02-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Hopefully after this summer Manu has his 4th ring and Kobe has his 1st gold medal.

More than likely. :toast

spursfan09
02-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh, my appologies.

Would you mind telling me when Kobe recieved a Gold Medal?

You might wanna check your facts. :)

That's why I put a question mark... but hopefully after this year he will have one.

CaptainLate
02-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I know Kobe is the superior player. He is better overall in every aspect.

I disagree. When was the last time Kobe had double digit assists?

Individually, yes, Kobe is better. But Manu's humble efforts for the TEAM is what separates him and the Spurs from Kobe's ego (only 3 rings in how many yrs with Shaq...and none since Shaq left) and the Flakers.

Let's hope the two teams get to meet in the playoffs. The TEAM will win.

CaptainLate
02-25-2008, 01:02 AM
van gundy, breem, and jackson are a great tandem.

I think they (and ABC) suck. I miss Marv, Bill W and Snapper Jones. They (and NBC) were the best.

spursfan09
02-25-2008, 01:26 AM

Individually, yes, Kobe is better. But Manu's humble efforts for the TEAM is what separates him and the Spurs from Kobe's ego (only 3 rings in how many yrs with Shaq...and none since Shaq left) and the Flakers.

Let's hope the two teams get to meet in the playoffs. The TEAM will win.

Very good post. I can see why some people might consider Manu instead of Kobe. But don't let the Laker fans read that. :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Kobe had 10 assists tonight, ( a lot because he has Pau Gasol to finish)

But yeah, I don't think Kobe plays the team game consistently, he reverts to his me-first game a lot when the game gets t. Manu plays team first, he doesn't discriminate who he passes to, (like passing to Vaughn or Bonner) he really tries to make the players around him better.
Kobe's been pretty fairweather when it comes to the team game..but he's stepped in the right direction in trusting his teammates, as opposed to a year ago.

smeagol
02-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Nice to see you can answer your own stupid rethorical question.

If you don't like this board, you can always post at LG. There are some quality takes over there . . . :rolleyes

Ginofan
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Exactly.

I don't think there's anyone out there that could keep this kind of play up all year long anyway. Even when Kobe had those couple of streaks with what was it...40 or 50 points for like 9 games in a row? (Just guestimating, I can't remember what the exact figures were)...he eventually snapped out of it.

Taco
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Watching Pistons @ Suns today? In honor of the Oscars tonight, Jeff Van Gundy gave his awards for the NBA season thusfar

Did you hear JVG say the knot on Chauncey Billups head looked like something out of the Flintstones Cartoon :lol

http://www.di-squad.com/images/flintstones-car.jpg