PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Good With Auto Electronics?

02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Wife has a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 and I'm going to install an XM Sportscaster unit.

Couple of questions I have:

1. I plan on getting the "FM Direct" unit (Her stock head unit doesn't have an "AUX" function), but since we're going to move her to XM and she won't use FM anymore, is there a way to completely disconnect the over the air FM signal to the head unit so the XM signal is the only one it receives and that way we don't have to worry about bleed through?

2. Instead of using the 12V cigarette cord, what do I need to use to have permanent power to the unit?

Thunder Dan
02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
2) find a fuse in your fuse box that runs when your car is running, hook a fuse to it and run a 12v input circuit from it and run the cord back to your fuse box and hire the wire. You would basically just be creating a new cigarette outlet where you can't see it and the outlet only works when the car is on.

There are other ways, like running a wire directly to the fuse panel, but I wouldn't do that because the power output from your car will blow up your radio if you don't hook a fuse to it.

I just did the above way last week and it was really easy and I don't have to worry about my car catching on fire

Thunder Dan
02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
1) take the antenna off the car and run the FM transmitter extenders directly to the nub of where it used to be. I did that with my old car and it work perfectly. Also I know Sirius has a thing on their website that gives you the best FM station by zipcode