PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: A workout For Coach Bud (Stoudamire And Thomas)

duncan228
02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/02/jeff_mcdonald_a_10.html

Jeff McDonald: A workout for Coach Bud

Call it a crash course in Spurs Offense 101 with your professor, Mike Budenholzer.

Budenholzer, the Spurs lead assistant, spent about half an hour after Sunday's practice running relatively new point guard Damon Stoudamire and brand-new forward Kurt Thomas through the Os and Xs of the team's offense. With Matt Bonner and team video coordinator James Borrega filling out the five, the group walked through the offense in the halfcourt, then ran a little full court.

On each possession, Stoudamire would call out a new play, and the group would hustle through the various screens and rolls. Let the record show Budenholzer sweated a bit more than his younger proteges.

By the end of the workout, Budenholzer was huffing and puffing. His pupils, meanwhile, were all smiles. Stoudamire has been with the team since Feb. 6. But with the Spurs' busy playing schedule over that time, this was his first good chance to spend some quality time immersed in the offense.

Same deal for Thomas, who had been in town less than 24 hours by the time the Spurs began Sunday's practice session.

The team has high hopes Thomas will be ready to make his debut in silver and black Monday against Atlanta. Stoudamire is just happy to have someone around who is a little more lost than he is.

"It's kind of cool to have another guy who really don't know," Stoudamire said after class. "I'm two weeks ahead of Kurt. We have a short learning curve to pick this stuff up. It's good to get out there together and walk each other through it."

greens
02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for posting!

I did notice Damon/Kurt talking a lot on the bench during yesterday's game. I think they can help each other a bit since both are in the same position of being in a new team.

Mr. Body
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd have to think they're happy to be here.

T Park
02-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Thomas and Stoudamire have to be estatic.

Go from two of the worst teams in the league to now the number 1 team in the west :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
With Matt Bonner and team video coordinator James Borrega filling out the five
Talk about getting everyone involved. :lol

lefty
02-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow, an article posted by Duncan228 that's not about Duncan.

The end must be near...

Holt's Cat
02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Had the Spurs taken care of business a little earlier last night Thomas might have already seen the floor as a Spur.