PDA

View Full Version : suns last two game scores less then 90 points

ducks
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
and they said shaq would not change their scoring ways

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2008, 05:44 PM
With the Suns struggling to score points against two of the very best defensive teams in the league in their last two games, it's interesting to note that they did manage to score 120+ against the Lakers (while giving up 130).

Not drawing any conclusions, just noting that it's interesting.

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
^Lakers defense hasn't been that great. I've noticed they've given up 95+ points to a lot of their opponents with Gasol. I haven't noticed them becoming a better defensive team with this trade as many people thought it made them because of Gasol's size in the paint.

stretch
02-24-2008, 05:49 PM
^Lakers defense hasn't been that great. I've noticed they've given up 95+ points to a lot of their opponents with Gasol. I haven't noticed them becoming a better defensive team with this trade as many people thought it made them because of Gasol's size in the paint.
Their interior D should improve when Bynum gets back, but Gasol is a crappy defender, and I think on offense, Bynum and Gasol will only get in each other's way. They both play best in the low post, and Bynum's offensive skills are still raw. I think that there will be issues with having the both of them on the floor at the same time, on both ends of the court.

Agloco
02-24-2008, 05:49 PM
and they said shaq would not change their scoring ways

Marion meant more to them than anyone can realize just yet. This sort of thing doesn't become obvious to the people near the issue until years down the line though. Unless Shaq has an extra gear for the playoffs, I dare say the Suns are in a bit of trouble.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Pau doens't play defense.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Their interior D should improve when Bynum gets back, but Gasol is a crappy defender, and I think on offense, Bynum and Gasol will only get in each other's way. They both play best in the low post, and Bynum's offensive skills are still raw. I think that there will be issues with having the both of them on the floor at the same time, on both ends of the court.
Bynum will help Gasol like Dampier helps Dirk I believe. Gasol should not be guarding centers.

1Parker1
02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Marion meant more to them than anyone can realize just yet. This sort of thing doesn't become obvious to the people near the issue until years down the line though. Unless Shaq has an extra gear for the playoffs, I dare say the Suns are in a bit of trouble.

:lmao People are highly overating Marion. I don't think the Suns would have won these games against La and Detriot today even if the trade never went down and the Suns still had Marion.

As I've said over and over again, the Suns don't have good coaching, good defense, or a good supporting cast to ever make it out of the West. It's been the same broken record with them for the past 3-4 seasons.

SpursFan0728
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM

I really agree with you with your point.
By watching the suns played their last two games, I am really worried for suns fans.
They are not ready to play any Champion contenders yet...

Martin R
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
that's just the SHAQ effect.

spursfan09
I don't think people are overrating Marion. It's just that the Suns have always been about running teams out of the arena. And they they get rid of one of thier fastest most explosive assests and bring Shaq in? Shaq is going to slow the game down no matter what. It's like the Suns are suppose to change to a slow it down grind it out team? They are not going to do it in 3 games. They definitly need time. Will they have it together by the time the playoffs start? HOpefully not!

Agloco
:lmao People are highly overating Marion. I don't think the Suns would have won these games against La and Detriot today even if the trade never went down and the Suns still had Marion.

As I've said over and over again, the Suns don't have good coaching, good defense, or a good supporting cast to ever make it out of the West. It's been the same broken record with them for the past 3-4 seasons.

A quick look at the Suns roster before the trade would have told you that Marion was second or third in pretty much every signiificant statistical category for them. You don't replace that with an overweight, lumbering, mid thirties center who has seen his best days.

An analogy comes to mind: cheese on the pizza.

Not the topping that you pay the most attention to, but boy does it suck without it.

Perhaps they don't win those games, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that they would have been owned in either of them as they were today. Marion's importance in Phoenix's scheme will bear itself out over time.

Shaq can help correct those deficiencies if he can find another gear. I seriously doubt that will be the case however.

lefty
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Pau doens't play defense.

I agree

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 06:13 PM
16 points
10 boards
2 steals
2 assists
1.5 blocks
53% FG
35% 3s

Those are Marion's per game averages that Phoenix is now without, on top of losing their best defender (spare me the Raja Bell bullshit, Marion was their #1 stopper).

You can't replace that with a fat ass like Shaq.

As to the Lakers, what do you expect? Gasol plays less defense than a matador.

gospursgojas
02-24-2008, 06:13 PM
You're an idiot if you can't see how shaq is affecting thier game....

We'll see if he can find another gear.

td4mvp21
02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Gasol also doesn't rebound well for his size. He is a great scorer though, especially in the triangle offense.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Our defense is mediocre because we still don't have our defensive anchor Andrew Bynum or our defensive swingman Trevor Ariza back yet. Gasol was never brought in for his defensive prowess, I don't know where you guys come up with this shit. When Drew comes back and mans the 5 spot, Pau can slide into the PF position, and the Lakers D should improve.

hater
02-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Suns don't really have scorers.

Shaq, Bell and Nash are definitely not scorers.

that leaves Sun's hopes resting on old Grant Hill and Amare

with Marion at least they definitely had another scorer

and worst of all, on their bench they have no scorers besides Leandrihno, who dissapears in 50% of their games

Suns are in a world of trouble

TampaDude
02-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Suns don't really have scorers.

Shaq, Bell and Nash are definitely not scorers.

that leaves Sun's hopes resting on old Grant Hill and Amare

with Marion at least they definitely had another scorer

and worst of all, on their bench they have no scorers besides Leandrihno, who dissapears in 50% of their games

Suns are in a world of trouble

I pretty much agree with you except what you said about Nash...when he is on, he is deadly from 3-point land and of course there's nobody better from the stripe. That said, the Suns probably won't make it outta the first round.

ducks
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
suns problem is they still have no bench

CubanMustGo
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
suns problem is they still have no bench

Suns' problem is they have a COACH THAT WON'T PLAY THE BENCH!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Our defense is mediocre because we still don't have our defensive anchor Andrew Bynum or our defensive swingman Trevor Ariza back yet. Gasol was never brought in for his defensive prowess, I don't know where you guys come up with this shit. When Drew comes back and mans the 5 spot, Pau can slide into the PF position, and the Lakers D should improve.

Yep, Andrew Bynum is the Duncan stopper :lol And which one of Odom and Kobe is going to be on the pine so Ariza can be your 'defensive swingman'?

Oh wait, I guess they are going to let LA put six guys on the court :lol

Fisher
Kobe
Odom
Ariza
Gasol
Bynum

florige
02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I definately think that it's too early to guage this trade. I personally think that it was a mistake to trade a centerpiece of your style of play for someone who is totally the opposite. They still have time to turn it around, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if they went on a run. But you are talking about changing 5-6 years of running teams out the gym to a halfcourt team in a half of a season. I just don't see this working. But it is still to early to guage how this trade will pan out for them.

peskypesky
02-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't agree with all the people calling Shaq a fat-ass and all that. He is what he is. A nearly 36-year old behemoth who's playing about as well as anyone could expect from well, a 36-year old behemoth.

He's not fat...but he's no sprinter.

I also don't agree with those who say Marion was over-rated. Marion was a main cog in the Suns' offense AND defense. They lost a LOT of production on both ends of the court when they traded him. That's just a fact.

The question is whether Shaq adds more than they subtracted with Marion's trade. I don't think he will. We'll have to wait and see, but I think he'll be worn down by the end of the season.

timmy21_4rings
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
actually Shaq is occupying too much of space and too slow to move when other suns drives into the lane (including Steve Nash). This is what is killing them. 95% of time Shaq is on single coverage. He is just a normal big that does not have mobility. Losing Marion is definitely a set-back to Suns.

debo
02-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I also don't agree with those who say Marion was over-rated. Marion was a main cog in the Suns' offense AND defense. They lost a LOT of production on both ends of the court when they traded him. That's just a fact.

:toast . you comprehend this perfectly, and as spurs fans we should know this, that is why pop maid it a point to slow down marion. No marion = less defense and offense.

E20
02-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Spurs fans shit their pants about Shaq to the Suns...............:lmao

LMFAO!!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I still think the Suns need more time with this experiment. Shaq could be usable as a role player for the team IF D'Antoni was a better coach.He is not.

easjer
02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
You can't judge on a handful of games. They could work their issues out yet.

I don't think they will, mind you, but it is too early.

Rummpd
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Lakers are better but have been facing cupcakes since Gasol came over - Rockets, Jazz and potentially Mavs stronger threats to Spurs in West.

Maybe Gasol will finally win a playoff game and Kobe will win a series but even that is no certainty.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Lakers are better but have been facing cupcakes since Gasol came over - Rockets, Jazz and potentially Mavs stronger threats to Spurs in West.

Maybe Gasol will finally win a playoff game and Kobe will win a series but even that is no certainty.

There are no certainties in basketball. Any team *could* get knocked out in the 1st round, especially given how tough the WC is this year.

The Lakers will hopefully lockup a good #1-3 seed and put themselves in a good position to advance. We have a cupcake schedule the rest of the way and the most home games left of any team, so holding onto the #1 spot is very possible.

K-State Spur
02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
as others have said, Gasol is a very good offensive player, arguably a perfect fit for a post in that offense.

...but even Odom playing at the '4' does a better job of defending the rim.

DazedAndConfused
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
as others have said, Gasol is a very good offensive player, arguably a perfect fit for a post in that offense.

...but even Odom playing at the '4' does a better job of defending the rim.

it's sad but true.