lefty
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I don't really give a sh...

Spuradicator
02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Jeez Stewert sucks, bring back Billy Crystal

T Park
02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
john stewart is one of those I just don't get why hes so funny.

LakerMagic
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
john stewart is one of those I just don't get why hes so funny.

thats because he's not funny...... :sleep

TheTruth
02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Stewart is really sucking ass tonight.

Jekka
02-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm so glad Marion Cotillard won! Her performance really was fucking awesome, and anyone who hasn't seen La Vie en Rose really needs to.

CuckingFunt
02-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm so glad Marion Cotillard won! Her performance really was fucking awesome, and anyone who hasn't seen La Vie en Rose really needs to.
I missed it when it in theaters, but definitely want to check it out.

And, for the record, she would get done. She looks stunning this evening.

LakerMagic
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM

Nah, Kate got robbed.

TheTruth
02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Best Moment of the Night.. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=krDoAUJDcKU)

Jekka
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

I saw it in theatres when it first came out, and then I bought it on DVD last month. Also, I'm glad the movie for best makeup, they did a freaking amazing job with that in the movie, too. It's hard to believe that it's Cotillard throughout the movie.

Cotillard's dress tonight is awesome -

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/specials/oscars08/bestdressed/marion_cotillard.jpg

CuckingFunt
02-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Cotillard's dress tonight is awesome
I've been studying for a test while watching, so I haven't seen everyone, but she's definitely my choice for the best dressed of the night.

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Cool Diablo Cody won. You know she's an ex-stripper and phone sex operator?

Kriz-Maxima
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
And she has the coolest name ever.

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Finally someone ex strippers everywhere can look up to

CuckingFunt
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is not at all a surprise, but fuck that was a loaded category.

lefty
02-24-2008, 11:36 PM
DDL > Clooney

And Cothillard deserved it, no question

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is not at all a surprise, but fuck that was a loaded category.

Just look at the "best movie" nominations, not a strong female performance in the bunch. Hopefully producers take note.

CuckingFunt
02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Just look at the "best movie" nominations, not a strong female performance in the bunch. Hopefully producers take note.
With the exception of Juno -- I personally don't think that it's worth as much praise as it's gotten, but Ellen Page's performance was quite good.

mob
02-24-2008, 11:45 PM
nigga denzel

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Did that producer just thank a chick or a dude and call it honey?

mrsmaalox
02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Those Coen Bros are twisted. Gawd I love Jewish men!

angel_luv
02-25-2008, 12:19 AM
My favorite speech was made by Marketa Irglova who won for the song
" Falling Slowly" from the movie "Once."

http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/?pn=detail&nominee=Falling%20Slowly%20-%20Once%20-%20Music%20Song%20Nominee

Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.

And the winner I was most happy for was Diablo Cody who won for best Original Screenplay with Juno. :clap

marini martini
02-25-2008, 12:29 AM
And the winner I was most happy for was Diablo Cody who won for best Original Screenplay with Juno. :clap

Mine too, Angel :toast

LakerMagic
02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Glad No Country got the respect it deserved

LakerMagic
02-25-2008, 01:30 AM
I would of shat a brick if Clooney had won over Day-Lewis.

CuckingFunt
02-25-2008, 01:32 AM
I would have liked to see No Country for Old Men get screenplay, There Will Be Blood get director, and Michael Clayton get best picture (or some other combination like that) just because I thought all three were equally fantastic.

Trainwreck2100
02-25-2008, 01:51 AM

To think she went from giving head in the backroom to giving an Academy Award acceptance speech

mrsmaalox
02-25-2008, 02:13 AM
To think she went from giving head in the backroom to giving an Academy Award acceptance speech

Ain't it grand?

MannyIsGod
02-25-2008, 02:23 AM
I just saw Michael Clayton and it was DAMN good. No Country For Old Men was marginaly better for me, but man they were both super strong. I'm watching In the Valley Of Elah as we speak. Juno was OK and entertaining but no where near the quality of the other films up for best picture IMO. Viggo in Eastern Promises was very very very good as well.

Hopefully I will get a chance to see There Will Be Blood soon.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2008, 03:01 AM

For some reason that's funny coming from angel. :lol I wouldn't think she'd be happy for someone who was a stripper, phone sex operator, did peep shows, etc.

angel_luv
02-25-2008, 03:22 AM
For some reason that's funny coming from angel. :lol I wouldn't think she'd be happy for someone who was a stripper, phone sex operator, did peep shows, etc.

I can see the irony.

As for my reasoning,

I dislike the name and original profession that Diablo chose for herself.

But, I do like that she stopped doing those things ( at least for now) and wrote a heartfelt, funny movie.

I love anytime when people make better choices for themselves.

Also, as a young writer, I like to see young writers succeed.
:)

Kori Ellis
02-25-2008, 04:11 AM
That's understandable.

I'm not a fan of hers since she refused to wear the million dollar shoes they made for her :lol

MajicMan
02-25-2008, 04:36 AM
John Stewart sucks and the show sucked. I watched the Laker game.

Magic_Johnson
02-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Marion cotillard won the golden globes, the cesar (french oscar) 2 days ago and now the oscar. Respect!!

angel_luv
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
That's understandable.

I'm not a fan of hers since she refused to wear the million dollar shoes they made for her :lol

Yea. I thought that crazy too!

Also, the way she handled that situation seemed ungracious and snobby.

JoeChalupa
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Juno is the only nominated movie I've seen and that was thanks to Mouse. I didn't think it was so great as to be best picture of the year though.

monosylab1k
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I think it's crazy that million dollar shoes even exist. I applaud her for rejecting such a gross display of excess.

monosylab1k
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Could the Coen Brothers have been any less interested in the whole thing? I'm not a fan of the over-enthusiastic Cuba Gooding/James Cameron speeches, but if you just won Best fucking Director, maybe act like you're somewhat pleased. Don't go up there looking like your dog just died. I really wish PTA would have won now.

mrsmaalox
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I think it's crazy that million dollar shoes even exist.

Yea well some people have more money than brains.

Spurminator
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
It's a little unfortunate that There Will Be Blood only walked away with one Oscar. I thought it was every bit as good as No Country.

Duff McCartney
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm glad Javier Bardem won an Oscar. He was fucking brilliant in No Country...every second I spent watching that movie and saw him I said he deserves the Oscar.

I am planning to see There Will Be Blood on Friday. Hopefully it's still in theaters at that time but I'm sure it will be for one more week.

Duff McCartney
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I dislike the name and original profession that Diablo chose for herself.

:td

peewee's lovechild
02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Diablo Cody is hot as hell.

ploto
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
My favorite speech was made by Marketa Irglova who won for the song
" Falling Slowly" from the movie "Once."

Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc&feature=related

leemajors
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Could the Coen Brothers have been any less interested in the whole thing? I'm not a fan of the over-enthusiastic Cuba Gooding/James Cameron speeches, but if you just won Best fucking Director, maybe act like you're somewhat pleased. Don't go up there looking like your dog just died. I really wish PTA would have won now.
you should see them deadpan a Q&A then! i saw them do one for the re-release of blood simple in 98 or 99 - all one liners and single word answers, most of them "no." it was awesome.

Pistons < Spurs
02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
The Oscars are a ratings dud. Nielsen Media Research says preliminary ratings for the 80th annual Academy Awards telecast are 14 percent lower than the least-watched ceremony ever.

Nielsen said Monday that overnight ratings are also 21 percent lower than last year, when "The Departed" was named best picture.

The least-watched Oscars ceremony ever was in 2003, when there were 33 million viewers.

Nielsen has no estimate yet on how many people watched Sunday night, but based on ratings from the nation's biggest markets, the Oscars will be hard-pressed to avoid an ignominious record.

The show had a 21.9 rating and 33 share.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/oscars_tv_ratings

T Park
02-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Just watched Michael Clayton and it was absolutely FANTASTIC!

Clooney was AWESOME.

The score and music in this movie was awesome as well, tell me that it was nominated and or won the oscar.

angel_luv
02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc&feature=related

Awesome!

Hvala, Ploto! :)

Amuseddaysleeper
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Michael Clayton was fine until the obnoxious horse scene near the end that was so terribly forced it nearly brought down the whole film.

It's a decent film, but I'd take NCFOM, TWBB, and Juno over it.....and Juno wasn't even all that great.

TWBB should've taken home best picture and best director, but kudos to the Coen brothers, they are one hell of a team.

I also thought it was classless for the academy to give Heath Ledger the final spot in the segment where they remember all the movie stars that died in the past year.

You have Igmar Bergman, someone who arguably could be seen as the finest director of the 20th century......and then you have Heath Ledger.

No disrespect to Heath Ledger, but the fact that they brushed over Bergman in favor of Heath Ledger was tasteless from an an award show that is supposed to honor film.

I can bet you that nearly every director nominated for best director has been influenced by Bergman in some form or another.

Spurminator
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't they usually do the deaths montage chronologically based on when everyone died?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Don't they usually do the deaths montage chronologically based on when everyone died?

That's what I used to think, but they did Michael Antonioni like 4 people before Igmar Bergman, and Antonioni and Bergman died on the same day.

They also "snubbed" Brad Renfro and Merv Griffin, but whatever.