PDA

View Full Version : Why has Emmanuel Ginobili flipped the switch this early?

Holt's Cat
02-25-2008, 12:11 AM
From what I recall, he was quoted as saying that the RRT was important for the team and what not. But what has triggered this outburst? Was it something as simple as Parker being out and him stepping up? No complaints here; I just hope he doesn't burn himself out before the postseason.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
because pop said the time to flip the switch is now especially since the west seedings are so packed

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I think it's a mix of everything. Parker being out. The parity between Western teams. And him being healthier.

There was an article on ESPN from his last five games,

"Ginobili, over his last five games, has now scored 172 points, while making 55 of 86 field-goal attempts (64 percent). Only one NBA player since the year 2000 has scored as many points with as high a shooting percentage over any five-game span; that was Shaquille O'Neal, who with the Lakers in March 2002, had a five-game stretch in which he scored 177 points while shooting 69.5 percent from the floor. That's it.

By the way, prior to Shaq, you have to go back to 1996 to find the last such instance of a player scoring and shooting as well as Ginobili over a period of five games. (Hakeem Olajuwon had 172 points and a 65-percent shooting stretch over a five-game span late in the 1995-96 season.) "

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20080223#3261832

When I read that, it doesn't even seem like it's just a good string of games by Ginobili's standards.

I really think it has to do with the weird season for the Western teams.

NASpurs
02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
He was playing at a high level before the thumb injury so I don't think he just flipped the switch recently.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-25-2008, 12:17 AM
He was playing at a high level before the thumb injury so I don't think he just flipped the switch recently.
yeah, even with his crappy shooting after he got injured he still maintained his point productivity somewhat, still putting up 19-20 a night, so it's hard to say it's just a hot streak of scoring.

whottt
02-25-2008, 12:17 AM
He was pissed about not making the AS game...

TMTTRIO
02-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I think it's a combination of him knowing that the Spurs really had to start playing well and Tony being hurt. I think once Tony comes back and gets his game back we'll see Manu go back to scoring 15-16 points a game and just doing the little things that barely get noticed.

Holt's Cat
02-25-2008, 12:28 AM
But this is Otherwordly Manu. We've seen Playoff Manu before. This is the stuff of legend and the greatest players of all time.

101A
02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
If the Spurs roll into the playoffs with THIS Manu; finals MVP Tony, and, well, Tim Duncan...it simply doesn't matter what ANY other team brings.

BonnerDynasty
02-25-2008, 12:34 AM
He finally reached that next level.

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2008, 12:34 AM
I still think that Manu is playing like a man on a mission because he feels personally responsible for having cost the Spurs a repeat in 2006 and wants to ensure that he's not the reason it doesn't happen this time.

I'll admit that I have no proof to substantiate that belief.

Holt's Cat
02-25-2008, 12:36 AM
His play has been outright Jordanesque over the last five games.

rAm
02-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I still think that Manu is playing like a man on a mission because he feels personally responsible for having cost the Spurs a repeat in 2006 and wants to ensure that he's not the reason it doesn't happen this time.

good take. I hope this is so and he hammers the other teams in the playoffs :music

TDMVPDPOY
02-25-2008, 12:39 AM
only a few games separate 1st seed to missin 8th spot

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Frankly, I don't care WHY he's done it; I'm overjoyed that he HAS done it and I hope that it continues for the next 4 months.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2008, 12:44 AM

:lol

I kinda figured the 2007 championship would erase the 2006 debacle, but hey, if Manu wants to continue playing with a chip on his shoulder I'm all for it!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-25-2008, 12:47 AM
I think it's a combination of him knowing that the Spurs really had to start playing well and Tony being hurt. I think once Tony comes back and gets his game back we'll see Manu go back to scoring 15-16 points a game and just doing the little things that barely get noticed.
I think he doesn't have to if he doesn't need to, he was already putting up pretty good numbers with TP playing really well and them both averaging 20 in the beginning of the season.
It depends on how Pop gears the team's offensive plan though. With 8 of the last 9 wins, I'm sure Pop has some tinkering to do with his Bench-Manu vs. Starting-Manu strategy.

K-State Spur
02-25-2008, 01:05 AM

exactly. manu has been having a career year (in an already great career) all year.

it was (and is) obvious that the thumb is what slowed him for a spell.

Solid D
02-25-2008, 01:11 AM
The All-Star snub may have been somewhat of a stimulus...however, I think Pop is correct when he talks about Manu being one of the most competitive players he has been associated with. The team desperately needed his production...Manu delivered. (Reminder: Ditka thread was started last season). We are now seeing what he has the capacity to do...as a leader...yes, he's a team leader.

Early? The RRT isn't an acronym for something insignifcant. The switch is now in the "on" position.

whottt
02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
The best thing about all of this is Manu has now established a new ceiling for what's he's capable of...at an age when many thought he would start to tail off if anything. Even to himself it's a new level he knows he can attain that he previously didn't realize he was capable of.

This'll pay dividends the next time he has to push it...because now he knows he can still suprise himself when he pushes it.

He's doing it against some good teams too...these aren't scrubs. And his best game in this stretch was against the team we played in the finals last year.

But the key is his legs...if he loses his legs those threes won't go down like they are now...so I am ok if he eases up a bit.

Who knows...maybe getting to run the point and act as the playmaker for such an extended period has something to do with it as well.

I do think the All Star GAme was a factor....for more reasons than just playing in the game. I think he feels motivated to carry his share of the weight along with Parker and Duncan...and to be honest, he needed to step up to do that....because right before he hit this stretch he was not playing that good(or smart).

T Park
02-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Why? Cause Parker went out with the injury and he had to shoulder some load.

Agreed though, hopefully he hasn't peaked, and is wearing his legs out, to where he has nothing left for the playoffs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2008, 01:47 AM
I think it had to do with Parker being out and the west being so competitive, we were starting to slide downward in the standings towards being a bottom seed, and with him being so competitive, he just stepped it up.

I do think he's fresher having not played over last summer and he was also playing well prior to getting hurt. He's obviously feeling fine now.

I am a little nervous about his minutes of late, think Pop needs to reign those in a little bit. But now we (and more importantly he) knows what he is truly capable of, I see this as nothing but a good thing when we get to the post-season. Just hope he still has the legs for it then.

m33p0
02-25-2008, 01:52 AM
if you take away the games where he was playing with a sprained finger, there's actually a continuity from the beginning of the season. remember that back-to-back 37 pointers he sent to the mavs and the jazz?

NASpurs
02-25-2008, 01:54 AM
if you take away the games where he was playing with a sprained finger, there's actually a continuity from the beginning of the season. remember that back-to-back 37 pointers he sent to the mavs and the jazz?And people keeping avoiding that for some reason and think this is recent.

honestfool84
02-25-2008, 02:16 AM
If the Spurs roll into the playoffs with THIS Manu; finals MVP Tony, and, well, Tim Duncan...it simply doesn't matter what ANY other team brings.

Amen.

-David

kuato
02-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Manu is not playing like he did in his first nba years, now he is scoring from long distance and that will keep his body in better shape for the finals. If 3 pointers are falling there is no need for him to use his "Manu crazy moves" :P.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Manu is not playing like he did in his first nba years, now he is scoring from long distance and that will keep his body in better shape for the finals. If 3 pointers are falling there is no need for him to use his "Manu crazy moves" :P.Thats actually an excellent point. Perhaps one reason Manu is fresher and doing this well is because he's not playing quite as wreckless as he has in the past. A far larger percentage of his points are coming from beyond the arc this year than any before. Another bit of anecdotal evidence is that I don't believe he's taking as many charges this year.

Perhaps being smarter with his body is what is helping him out a bit this year.

WalterBenitez
02-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Manu needs those kryptomanu pills, otherwise won't be able to get a ring + gold medal in olympics!

Deimosfobos
02-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Here is what i belive, and Manu will never admit it, unless he is able to pull it off...

Sure, Parker gone and Spurs needing some wins are part of the reason, but i think the main reason is the oportunity to have an historical year.
If Manu wins a BTB NBA ring, while playing great on the playoffs and probably a finals MVP, and later on the Olympics he takes Argentina to another golden medal over a strong USA, including MVPs... it will defenitly make him a Legend.

The stud of the world wants it all... as he should. :toast

He may fail, since this year will be harder than ever to do it all, but it wouldn´t be Manu if he didn´t try.

temujin
02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Manu was Jordansque in the first 20 games.
Then he got hurt.
Then he started to feel better AND was left out of the ASG.

He just knows he is better than anybody, but one or two guys there.

I'd bet he knows the coaches that turned him down.

We will also know that, judging from his next perfomances. In addition to those we know already.

Don't be fooled by his calm style and classy behaviour, he is still argentinian.
He'll hit you back where it hurts most.

Ocotillo
02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
He didn't have Tony holding him back..... ;)

Solid D
02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Since coming into the league, Manu has been a fantastic NBA player. Yes, he has been playing well all along. For those who would dismiss the notion of something different going on...just remember that Manu just set his career bests in rebounds (15) and assists (12) over the past 2 weeks. He also set the Spurs franchise record for 3-point FGs in 1 quarter (6) during this time. Why so?

More minutes, to be sure, is one reason but I would submit another reason is that the team needed his leadership. They have lacked scoring, they have lacked athleticism and energy, they have needed a strong will, and coach Popovich has allowed Manu extra minutes to lead this team missing it's playmaker (Parker) and best 3-pt shooter (Barry) due to injuries.

zepn
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I wonder if he got acclimated to doing more in shorter stents coming off the bench, and has now carried that over into his increased minutes (and without Parker and Barry)...

Solid D
02-25-2008, 10:09 AM
The switch is in the "on" position.

"More than anything they know what the situation is going down the stretch with so many great teams in the west. You can end up first through ninth as far as seeding goes. You can’t really decide that you’re going to turn it on a little bit later, it’s got to be turned on now.” - Gregg Popovich, February 23, 2008

SAGambler
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I think Manu came into the season well rested, not playing ball all summer (Take a hint Tony), and was just ready to be a ball buster all year. And because of the off season rest, I don't think the extended minutes he is playing now is going to wear him down.

If that hand didn't get injured, there is no telling what his stats would be for the year.

Even though I know it won't happen, if you look at all the games that Manu has carried this team on his back, he should at least get some consideration for MVP.

I just hope he continues to light everyone up throughout the playoffs.

urunobili
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
He was pissed about not making the AS game...:tu