PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Thomas has brains to match his brawn

whottt
02-25-2008, 02:57 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.0225.2008.bkn-spurs-thomas.EN.38323c7.html

Pro basketball: Thomas has brains to match his brawn

Web Posted: 02/24/2008 11:51 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Ask most any Spurs player for a thumbnail assessment of his newest teammate, and two adjectives will pop up most often.
Kurt Thomas is tough. Kurt Thomas is smart.

advertisement

If you ask Thomas, becoming both of the above was easy. All he had to do was break both his ankles a total of four times over a two-year span.

A freak rash of injuries forced him to the sidelines in 1997-98, some thought for good. He became a basketball oddity: a Dallas Mavericks assistant coach at the ripe age of 25.

"A lot of people thought my career was coming to an end," recalled Thomas, now a 35-year-old journeyman. "But I always felt that as soon as I was healthy I'd get back out there again."

To get back on the floor, Thomas was forced to fight. And he was forced to learn.

Spurs Mailbag
Got a question about the Spurs? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name

*Your e-mail

Your hometown

*Your question

*Required

Thomas, acquired last week from Seattle in a deadline trade for Brent Barry, Francisco Elson and a draft pick, is expected to make his Spurs debut tonight against Atlanta.

A 6-foot-9 banger, Thomas affords the Spurs a physical presence on the front line, a savvy rebounder and defender who won't mind playing bodyguard off the bench for All-Star big man Tim Duncan.

"He's a total professional," coach Gregg Popovich said, offering perhaps the highest praise in his personal lexicon.

Looking back, Thomas doesn't think he'd be here — in San Antonio, poised to help the defending NBA champions during their stretch run — had his ankles not betrayed him in Dallas.

"I definitely look at that as a blessing," said Thomas, a 12-year NBA veteran. "Not a negative."

The injuries made him tougher.

Playing on two reconstructed ankles has robbed Thomas of the physical gifts that made him a collegiate star at TCU, where in 1994-95 he became one of three players in history to lead the nation in both scoring and rebounding.

Instead, he has learned to get by in the NBA on a combination of guile and guts.

Thomas has made a living by relentlessly attacking rebounds, and by sculpting himself into a superior interior defender capable of pestering players larger than him (just ask Duncan, who found himself grappling with Thomas in last year's Western Conference semifinals series against Phoenix).

"He's a tough player," guard Manu Ginobili said. "And we all like that."

Thomas, who owns career averages of 9.9 points and 7.5 rebounds, brings more than beef to the Spurs' front line. His game is as much a product of brains as brawn.

This is where his brief stint as the NBA's youngest assistant comes in.

Thomas saw action in just five games during his short-lived Mavericks playing career. When it became clear that his ankles weren't going to allow him to finish the 1997-98 season, Dallas general manager Don Nelson made Thomas an assistant coach.

The job changed his approach to the game, as well as the course of his career.

"It really showed me what the coaches are thinking," Thomas said. "I got to see the game plan from the other side. It was definitely big, showing me how coaches break down film, how they draw up plays and how they prepare for the opposing team."

When Thomas resumed his playing career a year later in New York, he was a different player. He was smarter.

Drawn to his rare blend of toughness and intelligence, the Spurs coveted Thomas for years before finally landing him.

"He sees the game like a guard," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

As such, the Spurs don't believe Thomas will have much trouble acclimating to a new offensive system. On Sunday, after his first practice with the Spurs, Thomas spent an extra half-hour running through the offense with assistant Mike Budenholzer.

"It's going to take me a little while to get used to all the plays, the new system and get used to playing with my new teammates," Thomas said. "But I'm definitely looking forward to the opportunity."

The Spurs, meanwhile, look forward to getting their newest acquisition acclimated. After all, there is always room in a playoff run for smart and tough.

[email protected]

whottt
02-25-2008, 03:01 AM
This is a pretty good article with lots of information I didn't know about Thomas....

That's pretty interesting that he was an assistant coach already, and I bet he does have a different perspective than most players because of that.

Manu-of-steel
02-25-2008, 03:53 AM
kurt is really a smart player, and what i like about him is his toughness and nose for the ball. Add to that his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter- we've got a valuable acquisition. I'm excited to see how he will play in a spurs uniform. My take is that he may average aroun 6-8 points and rebounds per game. Go spurs go!

z0sa
02-25-2008, 04:23 AM
7 points 5 rebounds is all we need from Kurt.

Ocotillo
02-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Pop is gonna fall in love with this guy like he did Robert Horry. He is going to get lots of playing time watch.

djohn14
02-25-2008, 08:35 AM
It's gonna be good to have a center who dosent just sit there and hope the rebound goes right to him.

1Parker1
02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
He's going to be able to get a lot of those mini jump shots he loves taking in pick and role situations with Manu and Tony. And a lot of free looks in the paint if he plays alongside Duncan. :tu

1Parker1
02-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Pop is gonna fall in love with this guy like he did Robert Horry. He is going to get lots of playing time watch.

Yea, I'm concerned now what Pop is going to do with Horry. Hopefully this will motivate Horry to get his game on now that his playing time is seriously threatened. Before, he knew even if he played bad he was still a lot better than Elson/Bonner. Now he has Thomas before him.

Horry's basketball IQ will be invaluable to the Spurs if he can get in his postseason form. Hopefully he has one last run in him!

boutons_
02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
At his age, as with Robert, KT must above all play very brain-y to offset the decline of the brawn. Sounds so far like a Perfect Spur.

I'd like to see him mix it up with brawn-y Boozer, and Boston's Big Baby.

polandprzem
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
I wonder if Pop thinks about streatches with Tim,Rob and Kurt in the lineup.

1P1 said it right that Kurt can hang with the midrangers, Horry will be a longranger ( :) ) and Timmay on a low block a clessic center position. All in all I think with those 3 guys IQ they can find their places on the court.

phyzik
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I cant wait to see how we play with KT tonight :hungry:

team-work
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Thomas will be a guy Pop trusts in & puts to use in different game situations, including difficult ones. Hopefully this will ease my worry that the team is quite "thin" on their bigman rotation (with only Horry coming off the bench consistently).

Wish Thomas finds a niche in his new team (I liked him since his days in the Knicks).

AFBlue
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
MASSIVE upgrade from Elson, and if Barry does come back to the Spurs it'll be viewed as a no-brainer positive trade.

I love to hear the media boast the Kidd and Shaq deals, when this one might be bigger than both.

Herschel Walker
02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
It's gonna be good to have a center who dosent just sit there and hope the rebound goes right to him.
Oberto's always been good about going after rebounds or tapping them to other people, his lack of length or great athleticism is what limits him at times. Oberto wouldnt be in the league if he didn't bust his ass on defense and on the boards.

1Parker1
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Oberto's always been good about going after rebounds or tapping them to other people, his lack of length or great athleticism is what limits him at times. Oberto wouldnt be in the league if he didn't bust his ass on defense and on the boards.

:lol I think he was refering to the departed Elson.

AFBlue
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Agreed.

Maybe they were talking about Elson, because that guy is a piss-poor rebounder given his length and athleticism.

It'll be good to have two centers that know how to rebound and get after it on the boards.

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Yeah but at least he got 3 seasons out of Horry. Pop wont get nearly that much time from Thomas.

If Pop liked him so much, I wish he would've gotten him on the team a few years back.

td4mvp21
02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Yea, I'm concerned now what Pop is going to do with Horry. Hopefully this will motivate Horry to get his game on now that his playing time is seriously threatened. Before, he knew even if he played bad he was still a lot better than Elson/Bonner. Now he has Thomas before him.

Horry's basketball IQ will be invaluable to the Spurs if he can get in his postseason form. Hopefully he has one last run in him!

Well I'm hoping Pop uses a four man rotation with Duncan, Oberto, Horry, and Thomas. That could give Duncan some extra rest, and in the playoffs, all of those guys bring something different to the table.

tav1
02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see Thomas get 25-30 minutes through March as a way to acclimate him to the system, and then, come April to see Pop scale back and settle into the postseason rotation. Duncan's been playing long minutes, and he could use a lighter March, especially with all the back to backs.

I've often hoped that Horry would retire after this season and become an assistant coach. It would be invaluable for the development of Splitter and Mahinmi if Horry were there to tutor them, and, perhaps, we could resign Thomas to a modest 1 year deal in the offseason.

Resigning Thomas would give the Spurs a workable rotation of Duncan, Thomas, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter and, gasp, Matt Bonner. In theory, Bonner should be very valuable--spreading the floor and all. But he's not making his shots and the team is better off playing Udoka at the four in small ball sets if they want to spread the floor. Udoka is better in every sense. Bonner should be moved for a piece that could help elsewhere--maybe a sign and trade for Delfino or something along those lines. But, wow, I'm getting ahead of myself.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
There's something else to add bout Thomas. In last year's playoffs he was very respectful of the spurs team and always played quality BB (aside from excellent D on TD). The spurs didn't get that respect from other players in suns uniform though.

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 12:21 PM
There's something else to add bout Thomas. In last year's playoffs he was very respectful of the spurs team and always played quality BB (aside from excellent D on TD). The spurs didn't get that respect from other players in suns uniform though.

I took notice of that too. Thomas is really a pro's pro. I've admired his contributions for some time. Looking forward to his contributions to this team. Again, I only wish Pop could've gotten him on this team years ago. I regret that he's got a relatively short shelf life now.

Rummpd
02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
A nice lineup change will have Oberto and him both in their - good rebounding and smarts.

A tough big lineup minus Duncan would be Oberto, Bonner and Thomas against some teams and two of three can hit outside shots!

nfg3
02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=PHAT TONY]

Maybe they were talking about Elson, because that guy is a piss-poor rebounder given his length and athleticism.

QUOTE]

:tu

Elson is a very good ahlete but has a low BB IQ. All he had to do was rebound, run the floor and play D. Occasionally shoot the midrange J to keep people honest. This isn't rocket science but he never got it. He seemed to lack the desire to fill his role on this team and so he's gone and about time, too. Amazing how many really good players lack the neccessary IQ to play this game. Elson had a job here for years if he just did what the team needed of him. Thank goodness we have Thomas who will fill the role given to him and play smart. Massive upgrade!

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=PHAT TONY]

QUOTE]

:tu

Elson is a very good ahlete but has a low BB IQ. All he had to do was rebound, run the floor and play D. Occasionally shoot the midrange J to keep people honest. This isn't rocket science but he never got it. He seemed to lack the desire to fill his role on this team and so he's gone and about time, too. Amazing how many really good players lack the neccessary IQ to play this game. Elson had a job here for years if he just did what the team needed of him. Thank goodness we have Thomas who will fill the role given to him and play smart. Massive upgrade!

There's a reason Elson was relegated to 3rd string center for the Rich-N-Creamies. None of this should be a surprise to anyone. Spurs wanted to get smaller and quicker after the Nazr/Rasho departure, so they took a chance.

Elson is a superb athlete. Despite his low BB IQ, I still believe he could've been serviceable in some situations It's unfortunate that he got into Pop's doghouse and never found his way out.

debo
02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
this should be our starting lineup
C- Tim
PF- Thomas
SF- Rob
SG- Udoka
PG- Manu
:ihit

The Truth #6
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
this should be our starting lineup
C- Tim
PF- Thomas
SF- Rob
SG- Udoka
PG- Manu
:ihit

That's interesting.

BonnerDynasty
02-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Perfect CIA Pop. Bring in Thomas to keep the people distracted while we hide in the bushes and wait to use our secret weapon in the playoffs...

Bonner!

biba
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Kurt Thomas was traded to Suns after locker room run-in with Marbury during which he challenged the point guard to fist fight.

He was the only one to stand in the way of Marbury in New York.

He is really tough. :clap

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Kurt Thomas was traded to Suns after locker room run-in with Marbury during which he challenged the point guard to fist fight.

He was the only one to stand in the way of Marbury in New York.

He is really tough. :clap

KT is Big Time and he aint no punk. Been a long time since we've had a REAL enforcer on this team.

VaSpursFan
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
KT is Big Time and he aint no punk. Been a long time since we've had a REAL enforcer on this team.

yeah...it brings back images of massenburg and kwillis.