PDA

View Full Version : Barry might end up in Texas anyway...

genomefreak13
02-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Taking all financial matters out of the equation (since I think most would offer the same anyway) , I believe that the two possible choices for Barry would be the Rockets and the Spurs for the following reasons:

They are possible title contenders and is currently building up winning streaks. Houston is on cloud 9 right now, thanks to their 11 game winning streak (the last one against the no. 1 New Orleans Hornets). Showing that they are a legitimate contender in the west and in the NBA. The spurs on the other hand has build up their own winning streak with winning 5 consecutive games after a month of inconsistent play. Besides, as the current NBA champion, they are always considered as one of the contender for the Title (even if its an even year).

Their geography. Barry's family is settled in SA and has got used to being their ever since he played with the spurs. If weren't for the trade, he might have considered retiring as a spur. With the trade however, moving to nearby Houston became a hotter idea. Aside from it's practicality, It's not too much of an adjustment to make since he can opt to stay in SA or move just little away from SA.

The composition of the team and its ability to give him playing time. The roster of both teams gives Barry the opportunity to have quality playing time. SA is in dire need of a SF/SG to fill up the space left by Barry. Who else better fits the role, but Barry himself. The only reason he was shipped out of SA is because of the leverage he provides in the trade with Seattle (and he knows this). Houston on the other hand requires the same position after shipping Bonzi to New Orleans for Jackson. Having another veteran SF/SG in the team would surely bolster their playoff hopes.

The only thing that separates the Spurs and the Rockets is the relationships built by Brent with SA. If ever this matters to him (and I sure hope it does), this will be the Ace of the spurs against Houston.

Barry would probably pass on Phoenix's offer. Phoenix is currently in the middle of an adjustment following their trade to acquire the "Big cactus". This trade might have literally put their team out of contention (based on the way Detroit dumped 30 points over them and the way they played for the past three games). Aside from that, he's unlikely to find playing time against the like of Grant hill , Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa.

Boston's offer wouldn't probably that enticing either, specially if you would consider the long terms. Besides being beaten by a Shaq-led suns convincingly - Let's assume that the Celtics would go to the Finals, do they have what it takes to win the NBA Championship? In paper, some might argue that they do. In actuality however they don't. The with the west upgrades Boston isn't the monster it used to be (early in the season). Garnett and Allen (as great as they are individually) are known to lead teams to an early exit in the playoffs. Pierce limited playoff experience doesn't help them either. When
Brent said that "he wants to be in a contender" , I think what it meant that the team has a chance to win it all (not just the eastern conference).

Some of you guys might have a different point of view, I respect and welcome a good and informative opinion - so let's have it. Thanks!

ludda
02-25-2008, 04:39 AM
For what its worth, during the Suns-Pistons game, they said the top 4 possibilities were Spurs, Suns, Mavs, and Rockets and the respective "leaders" of each team contacting Barry.

JPB
02-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Brent's locker still hasn't been completely cleaned out at the AT&T Center. His nameplate is still present above his stall as well.

Not so for Francisco Elson, whose former space has already been invaded by new arrival Kurt Thomas.

bobbyjoe
02-25-2008, 05:40 AM
How confident would you be if you were Barry that you would get more minutes in SA given the emergence of Ime Udoka?

At the 2/3 spots you have Ginobili, Finley, Bowen, and Udoka. It sure seems like a logjam at the wings to an outsider.

I know Barry is versatile and can play multiple positions, but the Spurs have a lot of depth and I have to think if you are Barry you are wondering how you fit in post-Udoka.

Surely, a defensive minded coach like Popovich is going to want either Bowen/Udoka on the court in the playoffs at all times when the Spurs are playing a team with a bigtime scorer on the wing (Nowitzki, Kobe, Melo, TMac, Peja). Then you've got redhot Manu who figures to be a 38-40 mpg guy in the playoffs given how he's playing and Finley.

I think of all the teams mentioned, Barry would probably stand the best chance of getting minutes and thus being a more significant contributor on a deep playoff run in DAL, PHO, HOU, BOS, etc and not as much SA.

I'm sure Barry would love to stay put, but I'm not sure his role as is defined as it was as recently as last year and I wonder why you've seen so little talk of that as a material factor...

WalterBenitez
02-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Boston is cold, T-MAC only wins in Playstation, you know your place, come here boy.

Pop sucks, okey Manu will be the coach in 5 years or so and you his assistant.

genomefreak13
02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
How confident would you be if you were Barry that you would get more minutes in SA given the emergence of Ime Udoka?

I'm confident that he will get enough minutes just like before. Unlike in other teams, he's already accustomed with the minutes he's getting in SA.So getting and being happy with it is probably not a problem. Even with the emergence of Udoka, It doesn't necessarily mean that Barry would be denied of minutes, he can still play the point guard position for defensive purposes.

Another thing to consider is that, during the regular season Pop pace all his players for the playoffs - he limits the number of minutes of his stars to assure that they have enough legs for the playoffs. So Barry will gets his cut from the playing time of Ginobili and Parker. In the end, Ginobili and Parker doesn't need to play more than necessary for them to win and both have enough gas for the playoffs.

ThomasGranger
02-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Every time I start entertaining the idea of Barry playing somewhere else, I come back to is his big game against the Lakers (the last full game he played for the Spurs). He played 28 minutes and his back-to-back threes at the end of the third quarter were huge. It's obvious he was having a blast, and I'm sure that game is still very fresh in his mind as he considers what his role would be as a Spur going into the playoffs.

SAGambler
02-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Wonder if the Spurs would offer to sign him, plus guarantee him a spot on the coaching staff once he retires? Would that maybe overcome any $$$$ offers that other teams may make?

I really don't think Brent is looking for extended minutes. And even though we are pretty deep at the 2/3, there could still be circumstances when he could contribute. And if he wants to go to a contender, well, who knows better than Brent himself that the Spurs are always contenders.

zepn
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Barry won't move his familiy for the last half of his last season in the NBA. And His beautiful wife is shaking her head "no" as we speak.

He already has his rings. The Spurs can pay him as much or more than any other team. He knows the system. He knows his place in it. It would just be too much hassle for the chance to play a few more minutes

The only reason to leave is to stick it to the Spurs management and/or to get more playing time.

I don't see Barry as a grudge kind of guy. If he sticks it to the Spurs management, he is also unintentionally sticking it to his (former?) teammates which would probably bother him more than anything.

And even though a given situation may seem right for Barry to get lots of playing time, there is always a risk that it just won't work and he would end up with fewer minutes on a team with a smaller chance at another championship.

There is also a bit of psychological security in staying with the Spurs. If he moves and then the Spurs win the championship, he was an idiot. If he stays and someone else wins the championship, it would have been the same as if he had never been traded to the Sonics.

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Word has it that the Dallas Mavs and that jack-ass Cuban may also be throwing their "hat into the ring" for Barry's services.

easjer
02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't suppose it helps to point out that Barry wouldn't be the first player to work in one city while his family lived in another.

When AJ was a Spur, his family lived in Houston. Robert Horry's family currently lives in Houston.

Houston is a 3-4 hour drive and a 45 minute plane ride away. That's not that big a deal, really. Liking the city would be fairly unimportant for the 3 months he'd be playing here.

I don't know why Jon Berry is not to be believed when he says that while Brent feels some loyalty, he wants to play *and contribute meaningfully* to a contender. If that's not just rhetoric, then it is a big question mark for the Spurs - can he really contribute in a way that he feels is meaningful, particularly when you consider how many people are competing for minutes. His injury may come to play in that decision, and who he feels is truly a contender probably will as well.

Houston is on a hot winning streak - but there are still big questions, injuries first and foremost. I don't think anyone legitimately believes that Houston can stand up to the Spurs and Lakers in a 7 game series.

Pheonix may potentially have played their way out of Barry's estimation, though it is too early to tell whether or not the problems they faced against strong defensive teams can be worked out. They ran and played just fine against LA, they just didn't score enough. Perhaps Barry feels he can make up the difference and wouldn't mind the chance to try helping them win.

Boston probably looks attractive as an easy shot to the Conference title, and if LA came knocking, I bet they would also look attractive.

thispego
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Barry has a chance to come back and cement his legacy as a SPur. He wont have a chance with any other team to create some sort of legacy. He has the chance to come and hit some big threes for us in the playoffs after taking one for the team by getting shipped out for Thomas but also by showing his committment to SA and coming back for the repeat. Barry'll be back. Book that shit for sure.

SenorSpur
02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Houston has to be considered a strong favorite to land Barry - if only because of his brother's influence and recruiting efforts.

thispego
02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I will bet anybody here ANY amount of money that Barry will be a Spur again by the end of the season. anyone? ANYONE?

boutons_
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
So Brent finally clears 48-hour waivers today? this morning, tonight? when?

Demo Dick Marcinko
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I bet Barry's relationship with the Spurs organization, his team mates and his family's roots in the community trumps over playing opportunities or financial gain offered by any other team. He just strikes me as the type. Of course I could be wrong, but we'll find out soon enough.

porscha
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
is it if we do not hear any news these couple days means good news? since spurs have to wait for 30 days and others don't?

easjer
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
is it if we did not hear any news these couple days means good news? since spurs have to wait for 30 days?

It's been widely reported, largely by his brother, that he intends to make a decision tonight and let people know tomorrow.

He can't sign with the Spurs for 30 days, but he could let everyone know he intends to sign with them. Or he could sign with someone else.

ploto
02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Word has it that the Dallas Mavs and that jack-ass Cuban may also be throwing their "hat into the ring" for Barry's services.
Nobody believed me when I talked about Dallas last week.

ploto
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't suppose it helps to point out that Barry wouldn't be the first player to work in one city while his family lived in another.

When AJ was a Spur, his family lived in Houston. Robert Horry's family currently lives in Houston.

Houston is a 3-4 hour drive and a 45 minute plane ride away. That's not that big a deal, really. Liking the city would be fairly unimportant for the 3 months he'd be playing here.
Steve Kerr's wife and kids stayed in SA the entire season he played in Portland.

Sam Mitchell coaches in Toronto and his wife and daughters STILL live in Atlanta.

I also think fans overestimate the ties to SA for the Barry's. They were very tied to Seattle when they lived there and Chicago before that. They are people who will get involved wherever they live. Erin has contributed to the community no matter what it was. They have no long-term ties to the city of San Antonio.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, meanwhile, anticipates word from free-agent guard Brent Barry about his choice of teams either Monday or Tuesday, when he will be eligible to sign. Barry is considering the Rockets, Suns, Mavericks, Spurs and Celtics.

"Lots of teams are in pursuit," Morey said. "We've made our best pitch. We're hoping to get the opportunity to sit down with him in person. Right now, Brent's trying to take time with his family to really think through a decision. We'll see where it goes from there. We should know in the next 24 to 48 hours what his decision is."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5566850.html

thispego
02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
HAHAHAAH, ploto really doesn't want Brent to come back to SA. Why are you bitter ploto?

WalterBenitez
02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Houston has to be considered a strong favorite to land Barry - if only because of his brother's influence and recruiting efforts.

Brent, do no trust in your brother he is a journalist
:nerd

smeagol
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
HAHAHAAH, ploto really doesn't want Brent to come back to SA. Why are you bitter ploto?

Because the Spurs dumped the "Gentle Giant"

Findog
02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Dirk and Kidd have personally called Barry as part of a recruiting effort. I'm sure he goes back to the Spurs, but it doesn't hurt to try.

csw225
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
To be on a team's playoff roster, you have to be on the said team no later than March 1st.

CubanMustGo
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
To be on a team's playoff roster, you have to be on the said team no later than March 1st.

NO NO NO NO NO

would you frigging people either read the boards more or learn the gotdamned rules?

If waived, has to be WAIVED BY MAR 1. Playoff rosters set mid-April.

Sigh,.

csw225
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Relax man.

MagnusKrauss
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
i for one was not aware of the rules concerning waiving players until the past few days. haven't you read anything?

ThomasGranger
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
The playoff roster deadline question has come up--and been answered--numerous times already. I can see where CMG's frustration is coming from.

CubanMustGo
02-25-2008, 12:59 PM
The playoff roster deadline question has come up--and been answered--numerous times already. I can see where CMG's frustration is coming from.

Yeh, that and I'm sitting in a hospital waiting for my wife to come out of the recovery room after surgery. :madrun

thispego
02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Because the Spurs dumped the "Gentle Giant"
Well I know why she is bitter... I just dont know WHY. I'd say it's because she's a bitch but then, I don't know her personally.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Who the heck doesnŽt want to play for a contender. Brent, IŽll go ahead and say it, "welcome back to San Antonio"...unless heŽs pissed at Pop or someone.

easjer
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Dirk and Kidd have personally called Barry as part of a recruiting effort. I'm sure he goes back to the Spurs, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Jon Berry said yesterday during the Rocket's broadcast that the stars from every team have called him - Dirk and Kidd; Nash, Shaq, and Amare; Yao and TMac; Most of his former Spurs teammates.

Then he joked that that was one reason he intended to give an early decision - to stop all the phone calls.

SpursFanFirst
02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeh, that and I'm sitting in a hospital waiting for my wife to come out of the recovery room after surgery. :madrun

Good luck to you and your wife, CMG. I hope she's OK!

CubanMustGo
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Good luck to you and your wife, CMG. I hope she's OK!

Thanks SFF. She's in the room now - fairly routine surgery for women of her age but there were some complications and pain/nausea afterwards to deal with. Right now she is sleeping comfortably.

There was supposed to be a bed in the room for me ... surprise, there isn't ... but if she can deal with what she is I can spend the night in a recliner.

ploto
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
HAHAHAAH, ploto really doesn't want Brent to come back to SA.
I just do not believe he will. People who want him to are grasping at straws about things such as his ties to SA.

It really is funny-- people are acting like some relationship where someone can not handle that the person who you rejected now does not want you. Fans wanted Barry gone for years- now they are desperate to have him choose SA.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
True, they were much more consistent with Rasho -- they don't want him back at all.

thispego
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I just do not believe he will. People who want him to are grasping at straws about things such as his ties to SA.

It really is funny-- people are acting like some relationship where someone can not handle that the person who you rejected now does not want you. Fans wanted Barry gone for years- now they are desperate to have him choose SA.
Yeah, I could come up with a list of reasons why barry would come back and ties to the City of San antonio/not wanting to relocate his famly would be at the bottom. I think the people that are saying that saw one other poster mention that as a possiblity and being the parrot;s they are are just repeating that reason. I think Barry's ties to the Team rather than the City as the reason to come back holds alot more water.

zepn
02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
It is possible to live in a different city than the team you play for, but it's a pain in the ass, and it wouldn't be worth the trouble and the chance that you might be able to play a few more minutes for half of a season. All of the alternatives are worse than staying in S.A.

Barry's entire family knows he's staying with the Spurs. The rest is theater.