PDA

View Full Version : Some perspective on "Making the Playoffs"....

spursfaninla
01-08-2005, 02:07 AM
8 teams in the west make the playoffs.

7 teams will be in the lottery in the West.

Over HALF of the western teams make the Playoffs then. You just have to be about AVERAGE to make the playoffs in your conference.

That really speaks to how mediocre many of the western teams are playing today;
Memphis, Houston, Portland and Denver are all within striking range of the last 2 playoff spots, of which LA's 2 teams hold. The LA teams are just above .500, and those other 4 teams are just below .500

Minny is actually tied with LA, and they are sinking fast.

I'm curious how many thought Utah would struggle so much, even with AK missing.

I doubt Denver does much, or Portland. Memphis is playing well again, and Houston is playing average (though Yao had 25 tonight).

I would be happy to see Memphis or Houston make it instead of the Lakers, and would like the see the Clippers make the playoffs as well ! That would be SWEET SWEET justice.
Further, Seeing Minny drop to a 7th or 8th seed would be funny; they would get booted by us or Phoenix (depending how things shake out), and we would probably meet each other then in the WCF...I would like to see seattle and Phoenix face each other in the semi's instead of us being the 2nd or 3 seed, because at this point they are the only other really dominant teams (other than Miami).

How CRAZY is it to see the way things are shaking out this year. So many of us thought Phoenix and Seattle would settle down. At the very least that they would become lower seed playoff teams. Instead they look to maintain top 3 standing with us.

Rummpd
01-08-2005, 10:10 AM
At the beginning of Season many (but not I) had Utah as perhaps the top team in West. Even with the loss of AK they were not that good.

The problem is not the playoffs it is the stupid seeding this year first round = 1-3 locked up by the 3 dumb Divisions. One team either Dallas or less likely, the Spurs going to get the dreaded 4-5 this year first round.

MadDoc

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I thought Utah and Denver would be performing much better than they are now. I also seriously underestimated the Sonics.

Jimcs50
01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I thought Utah and Denver would be performing much better than they are now. I also seriously underestimated the Sonics.

I knew Utah would not make playoffs. In fact, I knew everything before the season.

:smokin

Frenchise player
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I knew Utah would not make playoffs. In fact, I knew everything before the season.

and who will be the champ?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top,
down in the Tennessee hills;
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top;
Ain't no telephone bills;
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top;
Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that;

Chorus

Rocky Top, you'll always be
home sweet home to me;