PDA

View Full Version : Was Sonics GM Presti "paying off debts" in deals with Spurs, Cavs?

usckk
02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
The Seattle SuperSonics got just the expiring contracts of Ira Newble, Donyell Marshall and Adrian Griffin from the Cleveland Cavaliers in a deal that raises questions after Seattle moved Kurt Thomas to the San Antonio Spurs earlier this week.

The feeling among several league executives is new Seattle general manager Sam Presti, who got his current job after working for the Spurs under current Cavs general manager Danny Ferry, is paying off debts by trying to help the Spurs and Cavs.

Source: Chicago Tribune

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Was-Sonics-GM-Presti-quot-paying-off-debts-quot;_ylt=AkvOb0EDt437ZuXEtHhT.bM5nYcB?urn=nba,682 70

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd like to "pay off debts" like Presti has.

He's got the Sonics poised to build a beast of a team over the next few years with all the draft picks and cap room the Sonics have accumulated.

easjer
02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I suppose you could consider that . . .

but how much money and how many picks does he have now???

He turned Kurt Thomas into 3 picks and cash, and got half a season on him. You can't argue that Seattle has not benefitted from these deals. Not this season, certainly, but they were planning to rebuild anyway.

phyzik
02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
If thats the case then they better throw in the Lakers and Grizzlies as well.

AFBlue
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a standard rebuilding plan....

And with so many executives stemming from the Spurs organization, how can the "collusion" theory not come up?

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Paying off debts like a fox.

picnroll
02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I think what Presti did is outrageous. Spurs should be forced to exchange Thomas for Gasol.

hater
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
this move by spurs is very, very fishy. I mean, at least the Lakers traded a future HOF in Kwame for that scrub Gasol.

JamStone
02-25-2008, 04:39 PM
The only way to reconcile these absurd trades to allow for more equity throughout the league is to force the Orlando Magic to trade Dwight Howard to the Detroit Pistons for Cheick Samb and a future second round draft pick.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd like to "pay off debts" like Presti has.

Me too. Every time I mail off a mortgage check the bank could send me some furniture or something.

remingtonbo2001
02-25-2008, 04:45 PM
The only way to reconcile these absurd trades to allow for more equity throughout the league is to force the Orlando Magic to trade Dwight Howard to the Detroit Pistons for Cheick Samb and a future second round draft pick.

:lmao throw in a 3rd round pick and you have yourself a deal.

Solid D
02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
The thought crossed my mind the day of the Barry trade announcement and again the next day when the Cavs deal was announced. When you look at how Seattle benefitted from the deals, it was quite apparent that Presti is working from a philosophy of building from the draft. I'm not sure Pop and RC work off of a "you owe me" POV.

The Truth #6
02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm laughing that Presti owes Ferry anything. They're probably friends, sure, but I don't see how Ferry gave Presti a chance or anything like that.

whottt
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Seriously...if anything Ferry would owe Presti since Presti was around before Ferry was...Ferry might not have a job right now if Presti hadn't made the SPurs FO look so good.

As for what Presti owes the Spurs...well Tony Parker pretty much pays that debt off I'm guessing.

Seriously...the dude turned Kurt Thomas into 3 #1 picks...that's insane.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
:lmao

Thats funny shit.

Solid D
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
The other thought that occurred to me during the days leading up to the deadline was that I can only think of four or five GMs that would trade with the Spurs. Presti, Pritchard, Bickerstaff, and mayyyybbbeeee Ferry or Elgin Baylor. Oh yeah, and Daryl Morey of course! :lol

Mister Sinister
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
God damn Tribune.

byrontx
02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
There is just a lot of Spurs DNA in the NBA now. That is not the same as collusion.

George Gervin's Afro
02-25-2008, 07:18 PM

that would an extremely fair trade when considering the gasol deal...

GrandeDavid
02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
If it were true, hey, at least there's some benefit to all that front office and bench talent defecting to other organizations!

SpurOutofTownFan
02-26-2008, 10:04 AM
CIA?? whatever

Hemotivo
02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
The other thought that occurred to me during the days leading up to the deadline was that I can only think of four or five GMs that would trade with the Spurs. Presti, Pritchard, Bickerstaff, and mayyyybbbeeee Ferry or Elgin Baylor. Oh yeah, and Daryl Morey of course! :lol

:reading :lol

Medvedenko
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
hmmmmmm...interesting.

Mister Sinister
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
hmmmmmm...interesting.
No, it isn't. The fact that it's from the Trib shoots any credibility it might hold with me straight to Hell.