PDA

View Full Version : Odom looks to have benefited most from Gasol trade

LakeShow
02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Odom looks to have benefited most from Gasol trade
By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO — Lamar Odom is pain free for the first time in a long time, and Lakers opponents are feeling the pain of his impact.

No player has benefited from the acquisition of Pau Gasol as much as Odom, who has thrived in the Lakers' offense in his first healthy stretch since an injury-filled season last year.

Before the addition of Gasol, Odom was averaging 13.2 points on 46.8 percent shooting from the field. In eight games with Gasol, Odom has averaged 14.6 points on a remarkable 62.5 percent shooting.

Criticized much of his Lakers career for not attacking the basket and shooting more, Odom has cleaned up on the wing position with the 7-foot Gasol occupying the paint.

"I can just play," Odom said. "I can have a good game and take seven shots. If we lost a game two or three months ago, especially without Andrew (Bynum), and I played what I felt was a good game at eight shots and we lost that game, it may look like I wasn't aggressive enough. I can play a floor game right now and still help this team win."

Odom had 22 points and 11 rebounds against Phoenix on Wednesday and has a double-double in each of his past three games. Coach Phil Jackson said Odom isn't benefiting from Gasol and Kobe Bryant so much as guards Derek Fisher and Vladimir Radmanovic, who, along with Sasha Vujacic, rank in the NBA's top 20 in 3-point shooting percentage.

"They keep the defense spread out because they're great shooters and all of a sudden you've got some penetration," Jackson said. "That makes a big difference when teams can't clog the lane.

"It opens the floor up. He sees a lot more space available for him out there."

Odom said he has found a good place physically after a sprained knee ligament and a torn labrum limited him to 56 games last season. He has no pain from a May surgery to repair the labrum.

"This is the first time I've felt rested," he said. "I feel refreshed. My body feels good."

How much does that impact his play?

"That's what my game is all about," he said. "Me not getting tired or feeling beat up is a big part of my game. It allows me to keep myself on the court."

Bryant has noticed a difference.

"I think he's been more aggressive," Bryant said. "I think the addition has helped him out a lot."

SENSE OF CLOSURE

All was quiet on the El Segundo front when the NBA trade deadline passed, bringing a sense of closure to the flurry of big-name moves in the Western Conference.

The Lakers returned to practice Friday knowing that this is their group from here on and that the already packed West is, for the most part, settled.

"It does kind of solidify the rosters and we know what we're dealing with," Jackson said.

BYNUM WATCH

Bynum said his knee responded well from running in a pool.

"No extra swelling," he said. "I was able to do everything."

Bynum will continue pool exercises for about a week and then run on a treadmill.

Contact the writer: [email protected]

Medvedenko
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Yup, Odom has played very well since Gasol came in. It's nice having another player average 20 points per game. It must be nice being the Spurs when you have at least 3 guys capable of of scoring 20 + on any given night. That's why they are the favourite.

LakeShow
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Yup, Odom has played very well since Gasol came in. It's nice having another player average 20 points per game. It must be nice being the Spurs when you have at least 3 guys capable of of scoring 20 + on any given night. That's why they are the favourite.

No doubt and I think he will be the xfactor in the playoffs. He's been a beast since Gasol arrived.

robbie380
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
if bynum is totally healthy it is the lakers championship to take. that front line is just huge and they have the best player in the league. i think the only teams that are decent match ups are the spurs and rockets.

Allanon
02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Lakers starting 5 have a unique mix of size and speed...extremely rare. All 5 can create their own shots as well.

Spurs have experience on their side. Houston is being overlooked but I think they're better than the Suns.

CavsSuperFan
02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
The Lakers are NOT huge…They are tall & lanky…They lack bulk & strength...Other than Kobe & Fisher they have not shown play-off toughness…Lamar is afraid to take the game winning shot…Luke has been terrible all season…Sasha & Rodmonavich are good players when the Lakers have a 20 point lead and as soft as hostess Twinkies when things get rough….Bynum may still be out for the season… Kobe has a torn tendon in his shooting hand…Lets not get ridiculous & say the championship is there for the Lakers to take…Have the Lakers ever beat the Pistons? Survived a playoff round against the Suns?

The Lakers are all sizzle & no steak…They will lose to any team in the East…

MajicMan
02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
The Lakers are NOT huge…They are tall & lanky…They lack bulk & strength...Other than Kobe & Fisher they have not shown play-off toughness…Lamar is afraid to take the game winning shot…Luke has been terrible all season…Sasha & Rodmonavich are good players when the Lakers have a 20 point lead and as soft as hostess Twinkies when things get rough….Bynum may still be out for the season… Kobe has a torn tendon in his shooting hand…Lets not get ridiculous & say the championship is there for the Lakers to take…Have the Lakers ever beat the Pistons? Survived a playoff round against the Suns?

Wrong dip shit. Any team in the east? Pull the hater stick out ya ass.

Allanon
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
The Lakers are NOT huge…They are tall & lanky…They lack bulk & strength

Look around at the other Playoff teams and you won't see ANY frontlines that match the Lakers. You might see a Bigger Center, but not a combination of all 3 which makes them unique in the NBA. Lamar is 6'10" but with long arms which gives him a 7 footers reach.

Lamar is afraid to take the game winning shot…Luke has been terrible all season…Sasha & Rodmonavich are good players when the Lakers have a 20 point lead and as soft as hostess Twinkies when things get rough
It's mostly true but not of Sasha, Sasha has been playing tough in crunch-time this year. Probably the most annoying defender outside of Manu.

Bynum may still be out for the season
Not true. He's running treadmills this week, expect him back in 3 weeks.

Kobe has a torn tendon in his shooting hand…Lets not get ridiculous & say the championship is there for the Lakers to take…Have the Lakers ever beat the Pistons? Survived a playoff round against the Suns?

Have you seen the Lakers "teams" prior to this year (since Shaq left). Those were some D-League teams.

LakeShow
02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Relaxed Odom helps revitalize Lakers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers23feb23,0,4285037.story?track=mostviewed-sectionfront

Lamar Odom's stats since the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol: DATE OPPONENT PTS. REB. AST.
Feb. 20 d. Phoenix 22 11 2
Feb. 19 d. Atlanta 17 15 2
Feb. 13 d. Minnesota 10 16 10
Feb. 11 d. Charlotte 8 10 6
Feb. 10 d. Miami 15 18 6
Feb. 8 d. Orlando 12 6 3
Feb. 6 l. to Atlanta 19 11 3
Feb. 5 d. New Jersey 14 15 5
Source: nba.com

Bynum did not experience pain or swelling in his left knee the day after jogging in a swimming pool, a positive sign in the recovery process of the 20-year-old center.

"It responded great from the pool. No extra swelling, and I was able to do everything I needed to do today," he said Friday. "I think we've got about a week and a half of the pool and if I keep doing well and don't get any more swelling, then I'll actually be able to get on the treadmill. Once I'm on there, I should be able to get on the court."

The earliest Bynum would return is March 11 against Toronto, although the Lakers will take their time working him back into game action. Accordingly, he is not expected to return until an unspecified date later in March, although he seemed eager Friday.

"I think I can run," he said, smiling. "I don't want to try it right now and hurt myself."

Bynum has missed 18 games since sustaining a deep bone bruise in the knee and a partial dislocation of the kneecap Jan. 13 against Memphis.

gmartin02
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM

The Lakers may or may not do well in the playoffs (depending on health and relative inexperience of the current team playing together)

You should be careful about asking questions with the word "ever" in them.

Lakers over Pistons in 1988 finals
Lakers all time playoff series record against Suns: 6-4
Lakers playoff series record against Suns with Kobe and Derek Fisher in lineup: 1-0
Lakers playoff series record against Suns with Kobe and Smush (cant even play for Miami) Parker in lineup: 0-2

Note: There haven't been very many match ups of the Lakers vs Suns since Kobe started playing for the Lakers because Phoenix has not been a very good team for most of those years (and weren't even good enough to play the Lakers).

Here is Phoenix's playoff record since Kobe started playing:
Lost in conference finals: 2
Lost in conference semi-finals: 2
Lost in first round: 5
Missed playoffs: 1

Notice the frequency of the word "Lost".

The Lakers have already bitch slapped the Suns twice this year in Phoenix with Laker players not playing due to injury in both games. The suns better worry about making the playoffs first before anyone can think about matching them against the Lakers in the playoffs.

CavsSuperFan
02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
So Andrew Bynum can now jog in a swimming pool?
To bad basketball IS NOT an aquatic sport! :rolleyes

BLACKMAMBA24
02-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Will you be a witness?Get a look at what a LeChampionship is like.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Odom's definitely been playing smarter. He certainly seems to be in position much more often.

CavsSuperFan
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Will you be a witness?Get a look at what a LeChampionship is like.

The only parade down Figueroa this year will be that annual West Hollywood one…