PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland a legitimate threat?

Quasar
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Just wondering what you guys think of Cleveland after the overhaul. Ferry finally surrounded Lebron with some good role players without killing the team...

They don't have big names like the Lakers but I believe they have the potential to be a very good team thanks to the solid supporting cast and deep bench. I.e. it somewhat reminds me of Detroit in 2004/2005, before everyone started accepting that Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun and Ben Wallace were a good team when together (Rasheed was always a good player despite his mental troubles).

I believe this will be the main rotation:

Lebron +

Gibson
Wally Szczerbiak
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Ben Wallace

Devin Brown (should we have kept him??)
Joe Smith
Anderson Varejao
Damon Jones

Looks like a solid team in my opinion, although Duncan would still give them a lot of trouble.

1Parker1
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Not at all;

Ilgauskas and Wallace, Spurs counter with Duncan and Thomas/Oberto

They still have no answer for Tony Parker and no one to stop Ginobili.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
they need a good # 2 option. everyone on that team is average or below average besides lebron (duh)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
It was a good trade, but it didn't do anything to put them in elite status. They just helped their defense and a little bit of their scoring.

Don't know if Cleveland would make it back to the Finals this year anyway, for us to be worried about (should we make it back to the Finals.)

JamStone
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Likely not, but with LeBron, you just never know. Dude is a beast.

WalterBenitez
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
They are trying to get better and better, LBJ + Z + Wally + Devin + Varejao would be a such a great team.

Ben could steal us many rebounds but our trio and the rest of the crew could handle in a 7 game series.

Horry + Udoka + Brent (is he coming, right) could shit their rim from 3s ... TD + Thomas + Oberto + TP could fight in the paint.

So, nothing to be worried about.

Allanon
02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
In the East, they are legit to upset Boston or Detroit. With Ben Wallace as a 4 and Big Z as your Center, Wally and Boobie bombing, that's gotta count for something. Then they have hustle in Verajao and streaky shooting in Damon Jones and D Brown's not bad at all.

Solid D
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Legit. They have to meld as a team. They are a different (better) team when Varejao is healthy so when he comes back...they are most def' in the mix.

Quasar
02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
No one mentioned Joe Smith here... I remember he was pretty good in seasons past. Could he still contribute and be the X-factor?

Wally is a known quantity, but with him + Gibson + Devin, Cleveland has become a pretty good perimeter shooting team! They were already good in the paint thanks to Lebron + Z... now if you sub Z and Wally for and Wallace + Verajao you get quite a tough rebounding/defensive team.

That makes them a very versatile team to me...

They're arguably deeper and have more consistent players than the Spurs when comparing the players outside of the big three!

BonnerDynasty
02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
lol. Cavs are not even a thought. Detroit should still be ashamed that let that team to the finals last year.

Flo-Rida
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
i have them making the finals again