PDA

View Full Version : Toros trade Justin Reed for Andre Barrett

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Toros Acquire Andre Barrett From Bakersfield Jam

AUSTIN, TX (February 25) – The Austin Toros announced today that they traded forward Justin Reed to the Bakersfield Jam for guard Andre Barrett.

Reed, a 6-8 forward out of Mississippi averaged 14.5 points and six rebounds in 15 games with the Toros this season.

Barrett, a 5-10 guard from Seton Hall averages 19 points, three rebounds, and eight assists per game. Barrett will wear jersey #4 and is expected to play Friday when the Toros take on Fort Wayne at the Austin Convention Center.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/barrett_080225.html

Good move, especially if Keith Langford and/or Cheyne Gadson leave the team.

Only one ballhog left, but DerMarr continues to play like he did on Saturday, I'd call him up to the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
:tu

manufor3
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
andre is a halfway decent player. call-up johnson now!

wildbill2u
02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Toros Acquire Andre Barrett From Bakersfield Jam

AUSTIN, TX (February 25) –
Only one ballhog left, but DerMarr continues to play like he did on Saturday, I'd call him up to the Spurs.
Doesn't the "farm club" thing give rise to the ballhog thing. Players want to get noticed and called up to the big club so they tend to forget about team play?

I suppose the problem is endemic in that all these guys want to get called up, but some are probably worse than others. Oh well.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
I want to see if Johnson keeps up that kind of play this weekend, but the difference between Friday and Saturday was night and day. It was like he finally realized what the Spurs are looking for from him.

picnroll
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
How's Barrett at feeding the post and playing P&R? Have the Toros had a player to try to work on that part of Mahinmi's game?

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Doesn't the "farm club" thing give rise to the ballhog thing. Players want to get noticed and called up to the big club so they tend to forget about team play?

I suppose the problem is endemic in that all these guys want to get called up, but some are probably worse than others. Oh well.I would think that being a farm team for an unselfish system team like the Spurs would make players LESS likely to break plays and chuck the ball, but that's just me.

Reed will definitely get his showcase in Bakersfield. They are pretty desperate for scoring.

T Park
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
but DerMarr continues to play like he did on Saturday, I'd call him up to the Spurs

i like hearin that :)

Quasar
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Chump - What do you think of Marcus William's progress? He was eclipsed by Ian's superb line (30pts [on 10 shots!!] 15 Rebs 7 Blks 4 Stls) but he had a nice line as well - 10/12 shooting for 25 pts, 8 Rebs, 2 Stls. Not too bad even if you count the 3 turnovers.

Matchman
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Andre Barrett's "Play of Career":
"Barrett cant find anybody, they have no timeouts left. finally gets it into McGrady. McGrady over Bowen for three, YESSS!"

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
How's Barrett at feeding the post and playing P&R? Have the Toros had a player to try to work on that part of Mahinmi's game?Barrett is a solid pass-first point guard whose main knock is his size. He can score a whole lot on the D-League level if he has to, but his job will definitely be setting up others. He's shooting lights out from the arc this season, so he's not going to get in anyone's way in Austin

ChumpDumper
02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Chump - What do you think of Marcus William's progress? He was eclipsed by Ian's superb line (30pts [on 10 shots!!] 15 Rebs 7 Blks 4 Stls) but he had a nice line as well - 10/12 shooting for 25 pts, 8 Rebs, 2 Stls. Not too bad even if you count the 3 turnovers.Last weekend was probably the best two game set of the season for Marcus. He's still a little slow-footed, but he's getting pretty proactive on defense and is better able to anticipate what his cover is going to do. Offensively his shot is looking very solid out to 20 feet. In short, he's improving. I think this trade is going to open up more minutes for Marcus at both forward spots, as Cheyne will probably play a little more shooting guard.

T Park
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Andre Barrett's "Play of Career":
"Barrett cant find anybody, they have no timeouts left. finally gets it into McGrady. McGrady over Bowen for three, YESSS!"

Who won the ring that year that happened?

timvp
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Sweet. I've been pimping Andre Barrett all season.

Plus Justin Reed sucked.

:smokin

T Park
02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Andre Barrett has potential to being with the big club next year does he not?

timvp
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
He was my first choice to be the third string point guard before the Grizzlies waived Stoudamire. Barrett isn't a great player but he's solid. He's like a more talented version of Mike Wilks.

T Park
02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Hmmm.

So not someone that you'd say start grooming for the main backup next year.

Bruno
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Getting a experienced pass first PG is a very good thing.

With Reed gone, Eric Dawson will have more playtime available when he will be back from his injury.

tomcat
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Barrett will be solid for the Toros. He is awfully tiny however and with Spurs having 3 pgs already, I think this was a move made specifically for the NBADL championship run.

With Langford leaving, Gadson can slide over to the 2 and still backup Barrett. Also, Marcus and Dermarr can both start now.

BTW, Kansas msg board quote Langford's agent saying offer up to $50K per month now so he's definitely a goner.

Good Luck KL.

picnroll
02-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Latest write up (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/D-League-Blog/) in draftexpress briefly discusses Mahinimi and his progress.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
There is some talk that Austin is trying to swing another trade, this time with Albuquerque. I don't know exactly who it could be since they were lacking point guards for a time as well. It would be nice if it was the ever quotable and recently returned Julius Hodge, but that's pretty unrealistic

timvp
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Regarding this trade ... even if it turns out to be Justin Reed for nothing, it was still a good trade :tu

ChumpDumper
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I said the same thing to a Toros staffer Saturday.

timvp
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
There is some talk that Austin is trying to swing another trade, this time with Albuquerque. I don't know exactly who it could be since they were lacking point guards for a time as well. It would be nice if it was the ever quotable and recently returned Julius Hodge, but that's pretty unrealisticMaybe now the Toros want Pittsnogle back now that he has turned into a stud :lol

picnroll
03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
So Barrett is back with the Torros

picnroll
03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Williams 21 points on 9-11 with 5 minutes left in the first half. If Spurs have an interest they may need to sign him pretty soon.

picnroll
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
End of the half. Williams 24 points on 10-12.

timvp
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Is the video working?

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
:wow
If he keeps this up, he's on pace for 48 in the game. And if that happens, fuck you DerMarr.

ThomasGranger
03-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Although Johnson has more experience, I'd like to see the Spurs call up Williams. Johnson shoots 41% from behind the arc but he is a streaky shooter--either red hot or ice cold. Williams is not as good a shooter but he started out awful and is now averaging a respectable 375% on threes. Plus, Williams averages more assists and rebounds in fewer minutes and is probably a better defender.

spursrule32
03-13-2008, 11:17 PM
CD - what's Ian's injury status? If he's healthy, why not bring him up now. He would at the very least insert some athleticism in our lineup - including rebounds and blocks. I just hate seeing us (Oberto in particular) getting out hustled for rebounds. What is so bad about him that keeps him from coming up?