PDA

View Full Version : Oberto/Thomas/Horry

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
This is a nice complement of bigs to play alongside with TD. Experienced. When you need someone to bang and board you have Thomas, who also possesses a nice J and is not afraid to set picks. Horry brings his savvy, shooting range, and clutchness. Oberto knows his role and plays it well. The only real knock is that there isn't a pure shotblocker in this group, though Thomas will block a little and with Thomas and TD together, TD is freed up to be the shotblocker from the weak side. All in all, the Thomas trade has taken care of a major weakness in the Spurs' rotation. One would have to think that TD is quite pleased.

it's me
02-26-2008, 12:07 AM
This is a nice complement of bigs to play alongside with TD. Experienced. When you need someone to bang and board you have Thomas, who also possesses a nice J and is not afraid to set picks. Horry brings his savvy, shooting range, and clutchness. Oberto knows his role and plays it well. The only real knock is that there isn't a pure shotblocker in this group, though Thomas will block a little and with Thomas and TD together, TD is freed up to be the shotblocker from the weak side. All in all, the Thomas trade has taken care of a major weakness in the Spurs' rotation. One would have to think that TD is quite pleased.

yes we're deep @ center now :smokin

duncan228
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
One would have to think that TD is quite pleased.

I was thinking about this tonight.

Duncan was the first one to Thomas the time out after Thomas was in the first time. He gave him the usual "good job" pat, but he was obviously pleased with what he saw from Thomas out there.

It must be incredible from Thomas' side. Last week he was in Seattle, no where near the Playoffs. Tonight he comes towards a bench and Tim Duncan is waiting to greet him.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Thomas and TD make a very nice defensive pair. A plus will be when Thomas can be the 5 without TD on the floor. That worked fine tonight. That can be worth a few extra minutes of rest a night for Tim.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Thomas is obviously a great fit with Duncan. I always wonder if Duncan has any say in things like this.

In the post game press conference after the '05 Title a reporter said to him "You're not the GM..." and Duncan said "Not officially." He said it with a laugh but I've always thought there was something to it.

I wonder if they take his opinion into consideration. He's such a big part of what they do on both ends of the floor. I would think that whether he was on board with a trade would be important.

T Park
02-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Thomas came in ran pick and rolls with the team like it was nothing.

Thomas next to duncan is gonna be fantastic.

LakerMagic
02-26-2008, 12:26 AM
It's a solid group. Im still a Rob Horry fan.

mbass
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM

FINALLY, a good complement to Tim.

jag
02-26-2008, 12:38 AM

I would be worried if he WASN'T running pick and rolls "like they're nothing".

Princess Pimp
02-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Nice debut for Thomas

4 points?? :lol

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Gain in Basketball IQ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Loss in height of three inches

T Park
02-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice debut for Thomas

9 rebounds.

Keep it up.

ss1986v2
02-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Nice debut for Thomas

and 9 rebounds and 2 blocks.

so, yeah, a nice debut...

urunobili
02-26-2008, 12:47 AM
I wonder if they take his opinion into consideration. He's such a big part of what they do on both ends of the floor. I would think that whether he was on board with a trade would be important.
is it true that he asked the front office to draft Josh Howard and they didn't?

Solid D
02-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Kurt sets nice, fly-paper screens but he has got to get some familiarity going with Manu and TP when he rolls or pops. He flashed open a few times on rolls but the timing was a bit off and the guards failed to get him the ball the quick moment that he was open. He was a very physical presence tonight. I'm sure Webster and Horford were wondering where that tree stump came from behind them.

DieMrBond
02-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Gain in Basketball IQ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Loss in height of three inches

I wouldn't exactly say that Brent Barry has a low basketball IQ... thats Elson you are thinking about.

However, 6'9" > 6'6", yes.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't exactly say that Brent Barry has a low basketball IQ... thats Elson you are thinking about.

However, 6'9" > 6'6", yes.
Are you trying to be funny and failing?

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:52 AM
He probably tells them to draft anyone from Wake.

DieMrBond
02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Are you trying to be funny and failing?

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to do. I am also currently attempting to be sarcastic and failing.

I was merely pointing out that Barry does NOT have a low basketball IQ, as your post seemed to suggest?

EDIT: Or i could have accidently read your post wrong, and assumed you meant Barry, not Elson - as he was the 'centerpiece to the deal'. My Bad.

T Park
02-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Yeah him and Pop wanted him and RC wanted Jason Kidd and capspace.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to do. I am also currently attempting to be sarcastic and failing.

I was merely pointing out that Barry does NOT have a low basketball IQ, as your post seemed to suggest?
This thread is entitled "Oberto/Thomas/Horry", not "Finley/Ginobili/Parker". Why you'd think I was referring to KT as a replacement for Barry and not for Elson (who is a big man, which fits the thread, is three inches taller than KT and has a low basketball IQ) completely threw me. :)

Add to that the potential for Barry to actually come back, and that trade looks even better. The Spurs have so much front line help coming in the next few years that I really don't think that pick was too much to give up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2008, 01:40 AM
I was thinking about this tonight.

Duncan was the first one to Thomas the time out after Thomas was in the first time. He gave him the usual "good job" pat, but he was obviously pleased with what he saw from Thomas out there.

It must be incredible from Thomas' side. Last week he was in Seattle, no where near the Playoffs. Tonight he comes towards a bench and Tim Duncan is waiting to greet him.

I saw that too, but I think you're understating it - Tim had a huge grin and jumped once, he was ecstatic!

Yeah, the big rotation looks very solid now, and if we can resign Thomas for the next year or two I really like TD/Thomas/Splitter/Mahinmi... and Bonner if he can get out of the dog house and find his game (otherwise he'll be traded).

:oops Edit: forgot Oberto, but meant to include him in there...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Kurt sets nice, fly-paper screens but he has got to get some familiarity going with Manu and TP when he rolls or pops. He flashed open a few times on rolls but the timing was a bit off and the guards failed to get him the ball the quick moment that he was open. He was a very physical presence tonight. I'm sure Webster and Horford were wondering where that tree stump came from behind them.

:lol Nice call.

Yeah, he's one of the best screen-setters in the NBA, and as for the roll, his timing will come with familiarity.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I saw that too, but I think you're understating it - Tim had a huge grin and jumped once, he was ecstatic!

Yeah, the big rotation looks very solid now, and if we can resign Thomas for the next year or two I really like TD/Thomas/Splitter/Mahinmi... and Bonner if he can get out of the dog house and find his game (otherwise he'll be traded).
Ultimately having TD/Thomas/?? at the 4 and Oberto/Splitter/Mahinmi at the 5 would be nice. How early can Splitter be brought in?

timvp
02-26-2008, 01:55 AM
I liked what I saw of the Thomas and Horry frontline when Duncan had to rest. The basketball IQ of that duo is off the charts. And because Thomas can do the dirty work and bang against multiple players down low, that allows Horry to play the freelance role he's better at. When Horry has to bang is when he starts to really look old. Give Horry space and allow him to use his timing and smarts, and Horry still has enough in the tank.

I still like Oberto starting with Duncan because he plays well with the starters. That may change but right now I don't see a reason to change it.

timvp
02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Kurt sets nice, fly-paper screensExactly. I used to hate his moving screens he always gets away with.

Now I don't mind them as much. :smokin

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Oberto is great in the starting role when he shows up with his lunch box. It might only be necessary to take him out of the starting lineup for matchup reasons in the playoffs.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 02:06 AM
After the game Duncan said Thomas still has a lot to learn but that he liked what he saw and what Thomas brings to the team.
He had his usual humor about it, saying they would "keep it simple" for a while for Thomas to learn.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080225.html

(Duncan at the 3:30 mark of the video.)

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Exactly. I used to hate his moving screens he always gets away with.

Should come in handy against Utah and Dallas, who are both pretty good at moving screens.

SA Gunslinger
02-26-2008, 03:36 AM
In the post game press conference after the '05 Title a reporter said to him "You're not the GM..." and Duncan said "Not officially." He said it with a laugh but I've always thought there was something to it.

And even more so now since he gave up that 10 million on his extension.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080226/capt.04ae8b3c9821454fa9b0bae8aa4a51bc.hawks_spurs_ basketball_txeg111.jpg
Oh hell yeah.

SA Gunslinger
02-26-2008, 03:48 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080226/capt.04ae8b3c9821454fa9b0bae8aa4a51bc.hawks_spurs_ basketball_txeg111.jpg
Oh hell yeah.

:lol

Now that's a caption this pic if I've ever seen one.

SouthernFried
02-26-2008, 05:40 AM
I never knew about that Game Day Archive...thanks.

Kurt just fits.

whottt
02-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Thomas is obviously a great fit with Duncan. I always wonder if Duncan has any say in things like this.

I don't know if he still does but Duncan had a pretty big influence. Probably still does.

If he says he likes playing with a guy? Pop likes that guy. And unless the guy really sucks on D, he'll probably get a lot of PT with Duncan.

For instance...Duncan likes playing with Horry. He likes playing with Oberto. I'm not so sure he liked playing with Elson, Nazr and Rasho. But I know he likes playing with Horry and Oberto.

It also doesn't hurt that Duncan may actually be the best judge of talent in the organization...the Spurs brought in Stephen Jackson on his suggestion.

Hmmmm....we maybe we need to get Timmay to do little North American scouting.

whottt
02-26-2008, 06:14 AM
I would like to see them get some PT together, I don't really see why it couldn't work. If they can send Thomas after the board Duncan can help more on D.

Timvp you are right...Horry doesn't like banging with big guys in the post. And it is when he looks his worst. Horry is great against guys that aren't really into physicallity like Odom, KG and Dirk, and Webber...but I don't know if he has the speed to guard them....I think he can do a good job on KG. He used too..but yeah, players with their types of mentality are the ones he does his best work on.

spurms
02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
I would like to see them get some PT together, I don't really see why it couldn't work. If they can send Thomas after the board Duncan can help more on D.

Timvp you are right...Horry doesn't like banging with big guys in the post. And it is when he looks his worst. Horry is great against guys that aren't really into physicallity like Odom, KG and Dirk, and Webber...but I don't know if he has the speed to guard them....I think he can do a good job on KG. He used too..but yeah, players with their types of mentality are the ones he does his best work on.

Scola loves to be physical but now thomas can guard him :clap.

wildchild
02-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Scola loves to be physical but now thomas can guard him :clap.

I doubt. I think the best Scola's guard is Oberto. He knows his play so much.Last 2 games against Houston proved that.
Scola didn't scored over Oberto in the few minutes Oberto on him. At more time Oberto over Yao.
But now when Tim takes rest put Kurt over Yao and Oberto on Scola and don't worry about Scola.

Holt's Cat
02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Every member of the Spurs' bigman rotation knows how to execute. You don't have to excuse someone for missing defensive rotations. Plus, out of the four, only one is not that reliable with his J.

travis2
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Exactly. I used to hate his moving screens he always gets away with.

You know, I didn't see too many of those last night.

If anything, I was shocked at how lazy everyone else's screens were...the first screen I saw KT set up was rock-solid, and I said "daaaamn...where has that been?"

bdictjames
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Every member of the Spurs' bigman rotation knows how to execute. You don't have to excuse someone for missing defensive rotations. Plus, out of the four, only one is not that reliable with his J.
Horry? :lol

SAGambler
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Nice debut for Thomas

9 Rebounds and 2 blocked shots.......In 13 minutes.....

BTW...You guys missing Marion yet? Or is Shaq still talking championship after the Pistons rolled over him?
:nope :nope :nope