PDA

View Full Version : Whats with no one giving Houston props?

rasho8
02-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I remember last year the media was salivating and sucking Mavs/Suns **** every time they had a double digit win streak

you don't hear anything but crappy blurbs about Houston's current dozen straight wins.

I'm not a Houston fan but still.... can they get any real respect or are they like the Spurs to the media?

robbie380
02-26-2008, 02:18 AM
i'm a die hard houston fan and i want no respect. we're still only in the 7 spot and we haven't gone thru our brutal march schedule yet.

Mar 2 vs Denver
Mar 5 vs Indiana
Mar 6 at Dallas
Mar 8 vs New Orleans
Mar 10 vs New Jersey
Mar 12 at Atlanta
Mar 14 vs Charlotte
Mar 16 vs LA Lakers
Mar 18 vs Boston
Mar 19 at New Orleans
Mar 21 at Golden State
Mar 22 at Phoenix
Mar 24 vs Sacramento
Mar 26 vs Minnesota
Mar 30 at San Antonio

21_Blessings
02-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Do it in the playoffs. You have to earn respect before it's given.

Quite frankly, I think Houston is a very good defensive team but won't be much trouble for a good team to expose them in the playoffs. Reasons being:

1) Yao. Mentally weak. Will get lit up by the pick and roll all day, every day.

2) T-Mac. Proven choke artist.

3) Adelman. His playoff teams always implode when the pressure heats up. Like clockwork.

Houston looks nice on paper and in theory, but in reality they are a recipe for postseason disaster.

spursfan09
02-26-2008, 02:20 AM
They do deserve props for thier streak, but Yao and Tmac need to step up in the playoffs. We know they can do it in the reg season.

spurms
02-26-2008, 02:24 AM

Quite frankly, I think Houston is a very good defensive team but won't be much trouble for a good team to expose them in the playoffs. Reasons being:

3) Adelman. His playoff teams always implode when the pressure heats up. Like clockwork.

Houston looks nice on paper and in theory, but in reality they are a recipe for postseason disaster.

That is true very much like the lakers post shaq. :downspin:

hsxvvd
02-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Golden State
Indiana
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Cleveland
Atlanta
Portland
Sacramento
Cleveland
Miami
New Orleans
Chicago

That is an insanely easy schedule...

Cleveland and New Orleans are the only decent wins, the rest Houston should expect to win, there'd be a problem if they had lost them.

whottt
02-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Because the RocketFans on this board are doing an excellent job of propping themselves for us...

robbie380
02-26-2008, 02:30 AM

Your team looks nice in theory, but in reality it is a recipe for a postseason disaster.

well the one nice thing about this team is that it showed it was willing to move on without mcgrady. scola and landry are playing great at the 4. the real x factor is rafer. who knows what rafer we will get in the playoffs. actually i guess the real x factor is health. one of the stat-heads on clutchfans posted that we are 19-1 this year when yao, t-mac, and rafer have all been healthy. pretty encouraging to see but it's really bad that there have only been 20 games when all 3 have been healthy this year.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 02:34 AM
That streak would be a lot more impressive if it weren't coming on the heels of an extraordinarily disappointing season and if it had done more than merely vault the Rockets into playoff contention for the first time. I'm glad they are healthy and playing well. It's all because of Scola, you know.

robbie380
02-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Golden State
Indiana
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Cleveland
Atlanta
Portland
Sacramento
Cleveland
Miami
New Orleans
Chicago

Cleveland and New Orleans are the only decent wins, the rest Houston should expect to win, there'd be a problem if they had lost them.

and who have the spurs beat on their recent run? an equally weak schedule. don't forget we beat you guys to start the 16-1 run. :clap

baseline bum
02-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Because Houston's boring and the Suns and Mavs were the saviors of basketball.

K-State Spur
02-26-2008, 03:10 AM
to be honest, the Rockets HAD to have a stretch like this to even get back in the playoff picture.

nothing wrong with 12 wins in a row, it's better than any other record you can pull off over that same length stretch.

but compared to the level of competition, it's tough to be extremely impressed with any one victory on its own.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 03:24 AM
and who have the spurs beat on their recent run? an equally weak schedule. don't forget we beat you guys to start the 16-1 run. :clap
Yay for you. Maybe the second round isn't too much to hope for. You can go back and look at the streak for consolation if they get eliminated again.

Games you are supposed to win suddenly become much more important when you've played yourself out of the playoff race most of the year. It doesn't stop them from being relatively easy games. Now your team controls their destiny. Let's see how they do from here.

21_Blessings
02-26-2008, 04:41 AM
That is true very much like the lakers post shaq. :downspin:

Smush Parker and Kwame Brown look good on paper? Do tell!

hsxvvd
02-26-2008, 05:16 AM

The question was why nobody was giving Houston props and I answered it.

It's a weak schedule. Unfortunately, regular season streaks are all you've been able to achieve for quite awhile now. Regular season win streaks are nothing to get excited about ... any Mavs fan will tell you that.

I've got a nice streak for you though, New York in 99, New Jersey 2003, Detroit 2005 & Cleveland 2007. These are the streaks that'll earn respect.

m33p0
02-26-2008, 05:28 AM
:clap to Houston.

.... there. Happy now?

Sec24Row7
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
No one giving them props?

http://www.index-china.com/index-english/images/CHINA%20map.gif

J.T.
02-26-2008, 05:52 AM
I'll give Houston when they win 12 games in the playoffs. But they won't be playing in June so I won't have to.

twincam
02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
i'm a die hard houston fan and i want no respect. we're still only in the 7 spot and we haven't gone thru our brutal march schedule yet.

Mar 2 vs Denver
Mar 5 vs Indiana
Mar 6 at Dallas
Mar 8 vs New Orleans
Mar 10 vs New Jersey
Mar 12 at Atlanta
Mar 14 vs Charlotte
Mar 16 vs LA Lakers
Mar 18 vs Boston
Mar 19 at New Orleans
Mar 21 at Golden State
Mar 22 at Phoenix
Mar 24 vs Sacramento
Mar 26 vs Minnesota
Mar 30 at San Antonio

Not to be a smart ass, but maybe because the Rockets can't get passed the 1st round of the playoffs. All hype? Who knows. That is my reasoning to it.

easjer
02-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey, they're getting plenty of press in Houston - at least 45 full seconds of the sports report before returning to the Astros spring training!

Beyond that - well done on the streak. Seriously.

The problem and the reason they aren't getting more props is that despite the streak, Houston isn't considered a legit contender, because TMac has never made it out of the first round and Houston is just a game or two away from being a lottery team again. Yes, given the crazy parity in the West, most teams are only a couple of games out of the lottery - nevertheless, when people talk about contenders, they won't talk about a team that has failed to get out of the first round when they even make the playoffs. If they do well this post season, then they'll be legit. Sad for Rockets fans, but true.

naico
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Whats with Houston having a winning streak, losing streak, winning streak, losing streak...?

Solid D
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
They have been consistently winning for the past 2 months. They are 21-3 over the past 24 games. The Rockets have the Spurs' respect, I'm sure.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2020751/2/istockphoto_2020751_aircraft_propeller.jpghttp://www.spotmatic.org/images/airplane_propeller.jpg
http://www.midamericapropeller.com/midAprop1.gifhttp://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Jan-27-Fri-2006/photos/carrot.jpg
And there's plenty more where that came from. Go Rockets!

wildbill2u
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm telling you that Houston is one of those 'dark horse' or 'sleeper' teams that no one wants to play in the first round.

They are healthy, playing with confidence, and have a better team than last year. I don't know if they can go all the way, but they can get out of the first round in a given series.

thispego
02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Golden State
Indiana
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Cleveland
Atlanta
Portland
Sacramento
Cleveland
Miami
New Orleans
Chicago

exactly

adidas11
02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Whatever happened to Steve Francis with the Rockets? I haven't heard a peep from him, and I thought he was supposed to be their starting point guard this season. Is he injured?

Indazone
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Franchise had surgery on his quads. He was diagnosed with jumpers knee with a tear in his tendon. Season ending surgery at the beginning of Feb. T-Mac said he wasn't the old Francis and had lost a step. Now we know what really happened and why he couldn't play at the level he used to play at. Risky surgery and possibly career ending. Same surgery as D.Wade and V. Carter though and they both came back with flying colors. Too bad Francis didn't get this surgery 3 years ago. He basically wasted 2 years of his career trying to play on gimpy legs.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey, they're getting plenty of press in Houston - at least 45 full seconds of the sports report before returning to the Astros spring training!
Houston fans will get behind them once they make it to the finals and look like they might win. Houstonians can't resist a good bandwagon.

adidas11
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
That's too bad about Francis. I thought he was going to be the difference maker for Houston this year. I just don't see Houston getting far into the playoffs with Rafaer Alston at point.

Dex
02-26-2008, 12:09 PM
We don't like them.

robbie380
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Houston fans will get behind them once they make it to the finals and look like they might win. Houstonians can't resist a good bandwagon.

fuck houston fans. they are a bunch of bitches. it makes me so mad when i see that lower bowl of the toyota center 1/3 filled and half of those jerks are businessmen doing "business".

have there ever been any stories on spurstalk about fans being told to be quiet by other fans at spurs games? there have been a few posted on clutchfans. :pctoss

xcomp
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Rick Adelman has changed the pick and roll defense strategy from JVG's style of having Yao come out and show hard. Now Yao stays at home like he should. Against the Hornets, they frustrated Chris Paul to death off the pick and roll because of this. In certain ways, the Rockets are actually better defensively this year than they were last year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
fuck houston fans. they are a bunch of bitches. it makes me so mad when i see that lower bowl of the toyota center 1/3 filled and half of those jerks are businessmen doing "business".

have there ever been any stories on spurstalk about fans being told to be quiet by other fans at spurs games? there have been a few posted on clutchfans. :pctoss
I'm sure I've seen a few stories here but they are few and far between. I remember a season or two ago hearing a story about Van Gundy trying to start a program where they essentially held auditions for fans. They only requirement was to be loud and rowdy and if they passed that test they'd get tickets to a certain section. Kind of like trying to create the Baseline Bums from scratch.

The 180 that this city pulled on the Astros when they went to World Series was epic. From a tombstone on the sports page to the city decked out in orange in record time.

robbie380
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
That's too bad about Francis. I thought he was going to be the difference maker for Houston this year. I just don't see Houston getting far into the playoffs with Rafaer Alston at point.

rafer has been playing well. his decision making has been pretty solid all year. also, his shot selection has improved a ton. he will still put up stupid shots but he does it far less often. and for the most part he has started doing things within the flow of the offense and driving to the basket when the opportunity is there. he has to be the worst goddamn finisher (well chuck hayes might have something to say about that :lol) in the league but when he drives he creates rebounding opportunities and it disrupts the defense. anyhow...it's pretty crazy how much of an effect rafer has on the rockets. i don't think there is another non-superstar player who has more positive or damaging effects on a team in the NBA. when he plays well and makes layups :bang the rockets are a very tough team to stop. ...but when he doesn't :pctoss

i wish francis could have stayed healthy because it looked like he was actually "getting it" for once in his career. he played under control and he played solid defense. hopefully he still has the quickness he had this year after the surgery. it would have been interesting to see how he meshed with the team....maybe next year :clap

SAtown
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
People will give them props if they keep winning now without Yao for the remainder of the season, especially if they make the playoffs.

SenorSpur
02-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I remember last year the media was salivating and sucking Mavs/Suns **** every time they had a double digit win streak

you don't hear anything but crappy blurbs about Houston's current dozen straight wins.

I'm not a Houston fan but still.... can they get any real respect or are they like the Spurs to the media?

better luck next year....

Aggie Hoopsfan
Because everyone knew something like this would happen...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5571212.html

To be followed shortly by TMac pulling his vagina and going down for the year.

robbie380
Because everyone knew something like this would happen...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5571212.html

To be followed shortly by TMac pulling his vagina and going down for the year.

eat a cock aggie.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
eat a cock aggie.

Mature, rational, well thought out response. Typical Rockets fan...

easjer
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
rafer has been playing well. his decision making has been pretty solid all year.

Decision making before or after the knife incident?

Just messing with you. I am truly sorry to hear about Yao - because Houston fans are getting another heartbreak.

And agree, this city (ah, home) is a total bandwaggoning city. I'm right there hopping on when it comes to football and baseball, because I just don't care about either sport that much.

Budkin
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
This is why I don't give the Rockets props when they go on huge winning streaks... they just can't stay healthy. Man this really sucks for Rockets fans and the league in general... sorry Rox fans I feel for you.

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, Yao is out for the season. The Rockets can be taken out of the equation.

robbie380
02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Mature, rational, well thought out response. Typical Rockets fan...

you fail at life aggie. go milk a bull with your mouth.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
you fail at life aggie. go milk a bull with your mouth.

Nah, you seem to have perfected the art with Yao, I'll leave the beastiality to you Rockettes fans.

1Parker1
02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, Rasho8 may be a jinxer :)