PDA

View Full Version : Ok so I'm looking for a new (to me) car

blizz
02-26-2008, 02:27 AM
4 doors at least a V6. So, in tryng to stay within a certain price range, there are several options. My question is this....go for a higher end car (CTS, BMW, Infinity) that's gonna be a bit older (2001-2004) have a good amount of miles on it....or a newer (2003-2006) mid-range (Sonata, Accord, Camry) car with lower miles?

Flight3107
02-26-2008, 02:45 AM
http://www.news-blogs.com/_images/auto/mazda6_2006.jpg

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I actually just faced that same decision. I was looking at a 2004 CTS loaded with 36k on it, and I decided to buy a 2008 Malibu with most everything on it. I decided it was better to have a warrenty because loaded cars have alot that can go wrong, and plus the Malibu drove much better than the CTS, AND it had a paddle shifter I really like. I'm really happy with my decision and I really like my new car. I traded in my 2003 Trailblazer LTZ that was getting 15mpg for my new car that gets me 25.

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Are you going to trade something? If so is your trade payed off or not?

Soul_Patch
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
you failed to mention your budget or price range as well.

blizz
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
no trade and i didn't fail to mention it because this thread is about buying a newer car with less miles vs a little older, little more miles but nicer car...not about which kind of car i can get for the money. bUT....because you're so interested...i'm trying to not go over 17k.

sa_butta
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Id go with a newer Honda if you can get it. If not the 6's pictured above are nice as well.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd go with a Land Rover Freelander. V6 and 5 doors go-anywhere car, with the right badge.

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm just going to mention it for shits sake. I don't know if you're trying to secure a daily driver or not but I just picked up a third car for driving every couple of days and the weekends, its probably been one of my best investments to date. There are a ton of Chevelle's from the early 70's along with plenty of mid 70's Corvettes that are priced in the 12-18k range that are in great condition that would hold way more long term value than anything newer. Parts are a dime a dozen and these vehicles are a breeze to work on or have worked on. Cost effective with extremely low maintence. I don't know what it is about older muscle cars that have people thinking that they cost a fortune to keep up. Its quite the opposite.

With a budget of 17k I'd be pressed to recommend the older luxury route. If you stretch your budget to 21-22 I'd go BMW in a heartbeat. Seems like the 325i's a few years old with reasonable milage are pulling right around 20k. I've owned two in the past and they've both been my most reliable vehicles to date. Only promblem is they're a bit expensive to work on if you have no warranty.

Don't forget to negotiate drive out price not sale price if you're buying from a dealer. Also hit your bank up first vs. doing an application at a dealership just don't let the dealership know you've secured your own financing if you go that route.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.news-blogs.com/_images/auto/mazda6_2006.jpg

Is that Mazda6 MPS?

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm also a big fan of the Altima. I know two people with Altimas that are nearing 100k milage and have had very little maintence on them.

Soul_Patch
02-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I only asked your price range because it would be hard to find an older luxury under 20k that wasnt a project type car.

For your budget id honestly go with something reliable and new like a corolla or a nissan sentra.

BonnerDynasty
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Uhhhh plain and low miles. Only poor people are impressed by "Luxury" cars. It's only baller when you can pay for it in cash all at once. Until then, just get a DD beater that can get the job done.

macdude06
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Hondas Last forever! Get a new Civic

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
The newer Accords are pretty darn nice. I had a friend who drove a Honda that had 150K miles on it for two years without changing the oil.

1Parker1
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Altima. I know two people with Altimas that are nearing 100k milage and have had very little maintence on them.

My sister had one and it SUCKED. I believe they stopped making them now too.

Accord's are always a safe bet. You get a long run from them, they have a relatively good resale value and they are reliable.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
corolla or a nissan sentra.

BORIIIIIIINGGGGGG.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Freelander's the best.

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
why do you want a car that will last forever normally after4-5 years you don't want it anyways. Lease a car you want, never worry about a warranty running out, pay 11k total for a 35k car, rather than 40k for a 35k car. Don't buy something that decreases in value the second you drive it off the lot. Lease a car you are happy to drive

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
why do you want a car that will last forever normally after4-5 years you don't want it anyways. Lease a car you want, never worry about a warranty running out, pay 11k total for a 35k car, rather than 40k for a 35k car. Don't buy something that decreases in value the second you drive it off the lot. Lease a car you are happy to drive

I second that. Lease a Ferrari or a Lambo.

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Leasing cars is much smarter than buying them. I used to sell cars in college and it was funny, the people with no money insisted on buying a car and the wealthy people with good jobs were the ones that leased. There is only one reason to buy a car: to drive it for 6-15 years and run the crap out of it. Unless you are buying some kind of exotic, your car will not increase in value. Most people take out a 5 year loan, pay it off and decide they want a new car. Here is a little example off the top of my head, say you are looking at a $30,000 car.

Buy the car for $540 a month for 60 months, and you end up paying 32400 for a 30k car (note: these arn't even exact figures, they will probably be higher anyway)

Lease the same car for 325 a month for 36 months you end up paying $11,700 for the car, and if you don't like it you are not obligated to keep it, sell it, or anything...you just drop it off and wave goodbye.

plus if you buy, you are risking 2 years of having to pay for things that go bad,....not with a lease

Just lease it, end up paying 11k over the life of the lease and get a new cars when you are done. The payments are lower, you don't have to worry about GAP insurance, you are under warranty throughout the life of the lease in most cases, and did I mention you save a ton

gay abc
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
i got one of these on valentines day :smokin

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/06/09/010703.3-lg.jpg

it has a 2.4 i-VTEC - 205 horsepower - 5-Speed with Sequential SportShift - bluetooth & navigation - fully loaded - averaging 24mpg - sticker price was $31K - dealer discounted it down to $27K

:fro

Soul_Patch
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Leasing cars is much smarter than buying them. I used to sell cars in college and it was funny, the people with no money insisted on buying a car and the wealthy people with good jobs were the ones that leased. There is only one reason to buy a car, to drive it for 6-15 years and run the crap out of it. Unless you are buying some kind of exotic, your car will not increase in value. Just lease it, end up paying 11k over the life of the lease and get a new cars when you are done. The payments are lower, you don't have to worry about GAP insurance, you are under warranty throughout the life of the lease in most cases, and did I mention you save a ton

This is very true and something i have always tried to convince my family about.

There is no sense investing money in a depreciating asset, much like you wouldnt want to buy stock that you knew would loose 60% of its value over 5 years...Leasing is always the best option, especially with all of the insane incentives alot of the automakers give on leases.

Just be smart and realistic about your mileage restrictions, and you are good to go.

I also used to sell toyota's for about a year.

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd go with a used Honda or Acura if you want to go used. If you go new, well, I have heard the Malibu's are nice, but don't know how much they cost.

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
This is very true and something i have always tried to convince my family about.

There is no sense investing money in a depreciating asset, much like you wouldnt want to buy stock that you knew would loose 60% of its value over 5 years...Leasing is always the best option, especially with all of the insane incentives alot of the automakers give on leases.

Just be smart and realistic about your mileage restrictions, and you are good to go.

I also used to sell toyota's for about a year.

yeah most people think leasing is a dirty word, but it's actually much much smarter if you only drive about 15k miles a year. People just like to know that they own something because it makes them feel worthwhile and good, but I would never buy a car...heck driving it around the lot or the town streets isn't enough to let me know if I love the car, I don't want to buy something for 30k that I just drove around the lot....because if I end up hating it, guess what, I'm stuck with it, and in 90% of cases I will end up owing more than it is worth.

Tips from someone that sold cars:

- Buy GAP insurance.. should be mandatory
- Lease a car
- if you have to buy..never take a loan out for more than 5 years
-never have to pay on a car that has over 100k miles (do the math if you take a 3 year loan out on a car with 80k miles...it is a bad idea)
-Buy Gap insurance
-if you lease don't say you drive 12k miles if you really drive 15k
-buy GAP insurance

I'd go with a used Honda or Acura if you want to go used. If you go new, well, I have heard the Malibu's are nice, but don't know how much they cost.

I just got a new Malibu, it's sticker was 26k (fully loaded LTZ) which was very reasonable, I'm very happy with it so far but only have 700 miles on it. I leased it for 39mo

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I was reading about that Malibu in Car and Driver. I read it was very good. Congrats!!!! I was thinking about leasing a few years ago, but could not pass up a deal on the truck I got. The old man drove this 2002 Dodge for a total of 27K miles. Here we are in 2005 and all he had put on it was 27K miles. The thing was still under warranty. It was/is 4x4 and fully loaded with a tonneau cover. He was already asking under blue book value and I offered 1500 less. He accepted. I could not pass it up.

Three years later, I have put about 29K miles on it and it still runs like a champ.

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree with leasing if you're the kind of person that wants to drive something for 8-10 years into its death. You just need to be realistic on the mileage and be prepared to eat some money down with imperfect credit. In some cases the amount required down is outrageous so beware of certain lease programs.

blizz
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I've sworn off buying new because you lose so much just driving it off the lot. I'm looking at a 2004 Accord, low miles, V6 260hp, moonroof, auto everything for 15k, a 2003 CTS V6 90k miles for 16k, 2003 325 16k. We have a Sentra already but it's too small what with a baby seat in it.

blizz
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh and a 2007 Sonata V6 with 15k miles for about 14k.

MoSpur
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd go with that Honda. Honda's don't lose that much value. I'd look for a vehicle for more than a week. Some of the best deals are from private sellers. A lot of them just don't want the payment and sell and don't really want a profit.

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
alright, my dad owns a car dealership here in Ohio...don't buy that CTS. He has a 2004 Navy Blue one sitting right here with everything for 18k with 43k miles. Here is the link

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=238342979&dealer_id=573574&car_year=2004&model=CTS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CAD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=44632&advanced=&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1

I'll have him ship it to you for like $500 bucks

edit: alright I talked to his sales manager and they would sell that for $16500, a year newer and less miles. So that should give you an idea of what to look for with CTSs

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
alright, my dad owns a car dealership here in Ohio...don't buy that CTS. He has a 2004 Navy Blue one sitting right here with everything for 18k with 43k miles. Here is the link

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=238342979&dealer_id=573574&car_year=2004&model=CTS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CAD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=44632&advanced=&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1

I'll have him ship it to you for like $500 bucksWill he throw in the undercoating :smokin

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Will he throw in the undercoating :smokin

haha he doesn't do that kind of stuff. I just know about that particular car because I almost bought it last week but got a Malibu instead. But when he saif 90k miles for $16,000 I was like hold on there a second, don't get ripped off

blizz
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh and the Accord currently belongs to my parents so I've driven it, I know how it's been driven and I really like it. It's got plenty of power, I just don't know how serious they are about selling it to me. It would be great if they could just let me take over payments. We'll see.

blizz
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
I must have fudged the numbers.....looking at carmax, there's a 2004 cts with 59k miles for 15,995.

Das Texan
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Leasing cars is much smarter than buying them. I used to sell cars in college and it was funny, the people with no money insisted on buying a car and the wealthy people with good jobs were the ones that leased. There is only one reason to buy a car: to drive it for 6-15 years and run the crap out of it. Unless you are buying some kind of exotic, your car will not increase in value. Most people take out a 5 year loan, pay it off and decide they want a new car. Here is a little example off the top of my head, say you are looking at a $30,000 car.

Buy the car for $540 a month for 60 months, and you end up paying 32400 for a 30k car (note: these arn't even exact figures, they will probably be higher anyway)

Lease the same car for 325 a month for 36 months you end up paying $11,700 for the car, and if you don't like it you are not obligated to keep it, sell it, or anything...you just drop it off and wave goodbye.

plus if you buy, you are risking 2 years of having to pay for things that go bad,....not with a lease

Just lease it, end up paying 11k over the life of the lease and get a new cars when you are done. The payments are lower, you don't have to worry about GAP insurance, you are under warranty throughout the life of the lease in most cases, and did I mention you save a ton

unless you drive some 40k miles a year.

GAP insurance is like 300 bucks anyway.

macdude06
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
make craigslist your best friend

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
unless you drive some 40k miles a year.

GAP insurance is like 300 bucks anyway.

GAP insurance is good because if you owe 35k on a car thats worth 25 after you drive it off the lot you don't take a 10k hit after you wreck it or something happens to it....easily worth the 4 bucks a month added to your payment

Das Texan
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
GAP insurance is good because if you owe 35k on a car thats worth 25 after you drive it off the lot you don't take a 10k hit after you wreck it or something happens to it....easily worth the 4 bucks a month added to your payment

ya i know. hence the its only like 300 bucks comment. I think that was the cost of it when i bought my car a couple of years back.

i should be seeing it hit 100k sometime this summer, not bad for a 2006 model.

:lol

Thunder Dan
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
damn that's alot of miles in 2 years!

miss paxton
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
With respect to the original question, I don't think there's any one answer as to whether it's better to buy an older luxury car or a newer mid-range car, without knowing the makes and models. I think you have to compare specific car to specific car. Some older cars are terrific and really hold their value, some don't. Some may have had recalls, some may have been significantly redesigned which might suggest customer unhappiness with an older design.

Interesting comment upthread about Chevelles. My husband recently got his 1968 Chevelle back from the body shop, where he had the body totally smoothed out and repainted, and it looks gorgeous (silver with blue stripes, which he's worried about because he's a Packers fan, not a Cowboys fan, lol). He built this car literally from parts and it's his baby. The car hates me, unfortunately, once refusing to go into gear, any gear at all on a busy street in Baton Rouge--finally it agreed to go into fourth gear which I had to stay in all the way home. Anyway, I agree that muscle cars aren't necessarily expensive to maintain or repair, but the body styles are definitely distinctive and I can see why people wouldn't like them. Plus they're not exactly fuel efficient.

BacktoBasics
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
With respect to the original question, I don't think there's any one answer as to whether it's better to buy an older luxury car or a newer mid-range car, without knowing the makes and models. I think you have to compare specific car to specific car. Some older cars are terrific and really hold their value, some don't. Some may have had recalls, some may have been significantly redesigned which might suggest customer unhappiness with an older design.

Interesting comment upthread about Chevelles. My husband recently got his 1968 Chevelle back from the body shop, where he had the body totally smoothed out and repainted, and it looks gorgeous (silver with blue stripes, which he's worried about because he's a Packers fan, not a Cowboys fan, lol). He built this car literally from parts and it's his baby. The car hates me, unfortunately, once refusing to go into gear, any gear at all on a busy street in Baton Rouge--finally it agreed to go into fourth gear which I had to stay in all the way home. Anyway, I agree that muscle cars aren't necessarily expensive to maintain or repair, but the body styles are definitely distinctive and I can see why people wouldn't like them. Plus they're not exactly fuel efficient.Fuel efficiency largely depends on engine size, tuning and so forth. My Corvette gets nearly 21 MPG on a small block 350. Sometimes its all relative I spend on average about 900 bucks a year in repairs big or small on my 97 F150 and I won't spend nearly that much on the Vette however I put pricier gas in the Vette because the timing is bumped, that extra expense may even out.

As it stands right now you could get a mid 60's Caddy that drives like a champ.....clean inside and out for mid to upper teens. It won't be a show car but it'd be a hell of nice ride and far more valuable long term than any newer modern junk. Something breaks it'll be a cheap fix that most backyard joes could handle.

Anyhow I'm a fan of the BMW's even a few years older, I think those are good buys.

Das Texan
02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
damn that's alot of miles in 2 years!

i bought it in november 05.

i'm at 80 something K right now.

CosmicCowboy
02-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm a firm believer in buying the exact vehicle that you like brand new and then taking care of it and driving it. Theres no reason most modern cars won't go 200,000 miles without major problems IF you take care of the routine maintenance. I buy hard loaded trucks (currently in a hard loaded chevy 2500 4X4) that I order exactly the way I want if I can't find one already on a lot. I drive about 20K a year so I usually sell them when they are about 10 years old (for about 20% of what I paid for them) and get another one. My net cost including maintenance is about $250 a month to drive exactly what I like. I don't buy into the "leasing is cheaper" thing...it's only cheaper if you are one of those compulsive people that HAS to have a new car every 2-3 years...

TheSanityAnnex
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Pass on the CTS and look for a CTS-V, or just get an Acura TL.

blizz
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
With respect to the original question, I don't think there's any one answer as to whether it's better to buy an older luxury car or a newer mid-range car, without knowing the makes and models. I think you have to compare specific car to specific car.

If you read the entire thread, you'll see where I've asked about certain models.

blizz
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh and I already have a project vehicle. A 1972 K5 CST Blazer. I'm looking for more of a family car, the Sentra is just too small.

Supreme_Being
02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
If I we're you, I'd just lease an Audi A6.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-27-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm a firm believer in buying the exact vehicle that you like brand new and then taking care of it and driving it. Theres no reason most modern cars won't go 200,000 miles without major problems IF you take care of the routine maintenance. I buy hard loaded trucks (currently in a hard loaded chevy 2500 4X4) that I order exactly the way I want if I can't find one already on a lot. I drive about 20K a year so I usually sell them when they are about 10 years old (for about 20% of what I paid for them) and get another one. My net cost including maintenance is about $250 a month to drive exactly what I like. I don't buy into the "leasing is cheaper" thing...it's only cheaper if you are one of those compulsive people that HAS to have a new car every 2-3 years...

I'm with you. It's the old school approach.

I couldn't imagine having a revolving monthly car payment for the rest of my life.

miss paxton
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
If you read the entire thread, you'll see where I've asked about certain models.

I did read the entire thread--my response related to the original question, which I thought was more general. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. As for the specific cars you selected, I'd probably be more interested in the lower mileage cars, and probably specifically the Accord.