PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Magloire, waived by Nets, could join Mavericks

endrity
02-26-2008, 08:01 AM
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: February 26, 2008, 7:16 AM ET

The Dallas Mavericks appear to be tops on the list for soon-to-be free agent Jamaal Magloire, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the 6-11 center is strongly leaning toward signing with the Mavericks this week and that a binding decision could come as early as Tuesday, with the 29-year-old scheduled to clear waivers at 6 p.m.

Magloire was waived by New Jersey on Friday after the trading deadline passed. Although he was expected to supply the Nets with some much-needed bulk and experience on the front line, Magloire only managed to get into 24 games for the Nets, averaging a mere 1.8 points and 3.4 rebounds.

But Dallas has a fresh opening for a proven center after being forced to part with DeSagana Diop in its recent trade for Jason Kidd. Erick Dampier is the only true center left on the Mavs' roster.

After earning a surprise spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team in 2004, Magloire has struggled to stay put, lasting just one season each in Milwaukee and Portland before signing a one-year deal with the Nets last summer worth $4 million. But the recent influx of size in the Western Conference after a flurry of trades this month has apparently created a new job market for him.

"I've never seen a guy work so hard when he isn't playing," Mavericks guard Jason Kidd said Monday night in Dallas of Magloire, who was Kidd's teammate with the Nets as recently as a week ago.

"If that were to happen [Dallas signing Magloire], I still think he has something left in the tank."

The Mavericks are also among the playoff contenders lining up to sign veteran guard Brent Barry, who was waived last week by Seattle after the Sonics acquired Barry, Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round pick in a swap with San Antonio for Kurt Thomas. But Phoenix, Houston, Golden State and Boston -- as well as the Spurs, who must wait 30 days to re-sign him according to league rules -- are also making a strong push for Barry.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

naico
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Magloire in stead of Diop
Kidd in stead of Harris
Barry or Cassel

They wouldn't look as dumb as they looked after the Kidd trade

stretch
02-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Magloire in stead of Diop
Kidd in stead of Harris
Barry or Cassel

They wouldn't look as dumb as they looked after the Kidd trade
Yea, getting Magloire and Cassell would be quite nice. I like Barry a lot, but I'd rather have Cassell, cus he can shoot his butt off too, is capable of scoring 20 any given night to give the bench some more firepower and veteran leadership, and he is capable of running the offense when Kidd is out.

PG - Kidd, Cassell
SG - Terry, Stackhouse
SF - Howard, George
PF - Nowitzki, Bass
C - Dampier, Magliore

That is a very nice lineup for the playoffs. Hopefully Howard and George will get their act together, and stop trying to do too much. Those two guys are hurting us a lot, but when they play like the role players they are, they can be effective contributors.

loveforthegame
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
It would be a nice pickup for the Mavs. They need a big body and 6 fouls behind Dampier. Anything else he adds will be a bonus.

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
16 rebounds and 7 blocks? Can Kidd continue to make Dampier look like an actual NBA center?

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
16 rebounds and 7 blocks? Can Kidd continue to make Dampier look like an actual NBA center?

I've always liked Dampier. Never have figured out why Mono is so hard on him.

Findog
02-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Never have figured out why Mono is so hard on him.

It's because $10 million a year gets you 7 and 7.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM

Damper has sucked shit until Kidd came around. He's been a useless fuck who was getting paid $10 Million plus per year to set picks & drop passes. Seriously, you've always liked Dampier? Is that just homer talk? It's gotta be.

It's really embarrassing that a big ass contract couldn't motivate Damp to play this well. But he's playing great right now and I hope it continues. Whatever Kidd is doing, it's working miracles. Dampier is actually giving a shit out there.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Damper has sucked shit until Kidd came around. He's been a useless fuck who was getting paid $10 Million plus per year to set picks & drop passes. Seriously, you've always liked Dampier? Is that just homer talk? It's gotta be.

It's really embarrassing that a big ass contract couldn't motivate Damp to play this well. But he's playing great right now and I hope it continues. Whatever Kidd is doing, it's working miracles. Dampier is actually giving a shit out there.

No, really, tell me how you really feel (you rectal wart). :p:

I love getting a rise out of Mono.

How come the teams you root for always lose? Can you change your team to San Antonio for Thursdays game?

Thanks.

fitzgerald
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Dampier has sucked. He has terrible hands and no touch. If we sign Magliore then I have a feeling he will start by the end of the year. We will see.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
No, really, tell me how you really feel (you rectal wart). :p:

I love getting a rise out of Mono.

How come the teams you root for always lose? Can you change your team to San Antonio for Thursdays game?

Thanks.
what's funny is how little this cunt knows about anything sports related. Which is why he avoids any kind of actual discussion and just resorts to using my name to get attention.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
what's funny is how little this cunt knows about anything sports related. Which is why he avoids any kind of actual discussion and just resorts to using my name to get attention.

What's funny is I have said before, there is more to Dampier than stats. The offense functions better when he's playing. That's good that he's racking up stats now, but that's never been a big part of what he does that helps the team. You sure are quick saying that people don't know anything about sports, with some of the dumb shit that spews from your mouth.

mavsfan1000
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Dampier has always been a solid role player. His flaw is his effort level. Sometimes he just goes through the motions and loses interest. Right now with Kidd giving him the ball, he is much more inspired. Without Dampier, we are screwed though as he is difference between the mavs of now and the 03-04 mavs.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
using my name to get attention

Haha, who the F are you? People knowing your name isn't always a good thing. Everyone knows Kevin Federline's name too. :rolleyes

td4mvp21
02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I know a lot of Mavs fans want Magloire, but does he really have anything left? I know there aren't a lot of options right now, so I guess he's better than nothing.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
What's funny is I have said before, there is more to Dampier than stats.
Example? Or did you just read Jean-Jacques Taylor and run with whatever he said?

He "sets picks", he "takes up space"........throw out all the usual Dampier defenses that you've read from everybody else already. That's great. And that STILL is not enough to warrant paying him $10 Million a year .

("I don't care, Cuban's paying it!......Salary cap? What's that?")

The offense functions better when he's playing. That's good that he's scoring now, but that's never been a big part of what he does that helps the team.
Um, he scored 6 points last night, which is lower than what he usually averages in his Mavs career.

It's not about scoring, it's about the energy he's putting out there. It's about the way he's fighting for loose balls now. It's about the way he makes faster rotations on defense now. It's things you would get if you, ya know, actually watched the game and wasn't distracted by the Mavs pom-poms you wave around.

It's a shame it's taken this long to get him motivated enough to give 100% every game, but I'll take it. Although if your entire knowlege of the Mavericks is "Mavs rule! Spurs suck! WHoooooooHoooooooo!" then I can understand why you would have "always liked Dampier".

You sure are quick saying that people don't know anything about sports, with some of the dumb shit that spews from your mouth.

Let's all remember that time you tried to prove to me that you knew your shit about basketball and promptly showed everybody otherwise by calling Devin Harris a "superstar".

No offense, but are you a female? Not that all females are bad sports fans, many are not, but the way you root for the Mavericks is exactly like the generic office chick who is always yelling "Go Mavs!" and screams loudly whenever JJ Barea walks into the game, talks about how "awesome" Dampier is, wears a pink Dirk jersey, says "what foul??!?!?!?" when Stackhouse body checks a guy into the crowd, and then says "who's that?" when Malik Allen walks onto the court.

endrity
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Dampier is the main reason the Mavs defense went from being one of the worst in the league, to top 5 in defensive efficency last year. That man changes our defense like nothing we have had, and you can see it this year as well when AJ goes with the Dirk/Bass lineup. He is not here for his offense, get that in your mind.

People hate him for his contract. Two things here:

1) Centers are overpaid in this league compared to other positions. They will always be. It's a rare commodity to have someone who can defend the rim, and that is why they demand that kind of money. Ben Wallace is wayyyy worse in offense than Damp and still gets about 13-14 mill. The list goes on, Jerome James, Theo Rattlif, Nene, LaFrentz....

2) Why do you give a fuck how much he makes. It's not like you are paying. I would rather have Damp than not have him, for any price. The Mavs are not going under the cap anytime soon so it's not like we are getting flexibility if we reduce his contract.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure ratm1221 was the annoying chick sitting behind me at the game last night. And ear-shattering scream for JJ Barea, and then confusion when Devean George came into the game because "I thought we traded Devin?"

endrity
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I know a lot of Mavs fans want Magloire, but does he really have anything left? I know there aren't a lot of options right now, so I guess he's better than nothing.

He was alright until last year. This year was the dropoff. But people in NJ say he just fell out of favor with the the staff because of the youth movement, and them wanting a high post guy more. But Kidd and Malik Allen have strongly backed a possible acquisition. They say he still worked very hard in practice and in the weight room. We want him for 15-20 minutes max, to bang around Timmy, Bynum and Shaq. He is good for that I think. Plus he has better hands than Damp, so he might finish a little more around the rim.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Dampier is the main reason the Mavs defense went from being one of the worst in the league, to top 5 in defensive efficency last year. That man changes our defense like nothing we have had, and you can see it this year as well when AJ goes with the Dirk/Bass lineup. He is not here for his offense, get that in your mind.
Dampier's defense looks great when going against undisciplined teams with low B-ball IQ.

His laziness, inability to read pick-n-rolls, and complete lethargy in rotating on defense is one of the main reasons guys like Amare absolutely rape the Mavericks.

One of the reasons Dirk gets abused on defense from time to time is because he's running around all over the place making up for Dampier's inefficiency. One of the reasons Diop could look so good is because of his actual effort put forth.

Now Dirk/Bass is no solution at center. Neither of them have Damp's strength. But to call Dampier a big reason this team is improved on defense is just ignorant. Dirk's defensive improvement, along with the additions of Howard & Devin Harris, and Avery's defensive emphasis were the biggest factors.

A motivated Dampier is a great asset. But when he isn't motivated, there is very little redeeming values to his game other than the very weak excuses of "he sets picks!" and "he does stuff you don't see!" which is a complete lie, because in truth, he actually DOESN'T do those things with regularity.

Findog
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure ratm1221 was the annoying chick sitting behind me at the game last night. And ear-shattering scream for JJ Barea, and then confusion when Devean George came into the game because "I thought we traded Devin?"

In the first half I was across the aisle from some annoying 8-year-old fetus that clapped those thundersticks together incessantly. Whoever invented thundersticks should be hunted for sport.

Findog
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

I wondered about that too. He's only 29 years old, and Kidd says he can contribute. If he thought Magloire wasn't an upgrade over Juwan Howard, I'm sure he wouldn't speak up. Looking at his game logs, the guy can still rebound when given minutes. We only need somebody who can come in and play 15-20 minutes a game for when Dampier is in foul trouble.

I also love how Kidd is making a concerted effort to show Damp some love and get him involved. If he can make Dampier a better player and more of a presence, that makes us that much better. Everybody on this team is playing better because of Kidd, with the sole exception of Josh, who I figured was the most natural running partner. He's the lone guy who hasn't figured it out yet. He's been a total ballstopper and a black hole when the ball comes his way. He doesn't slash to the hoop, he's just completely fallen in love with his mediocre jumper. Now that it looks like we're getting a replacement for Diop, I feel like we have a fighting chance to come out of the West, although we shouldn't be favorites. But unless Josh gets his head out of his ass, we won't be doing any damage in the playoffs.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Even though i see Mags as fallen off the NBA radar the past 2-3 years, his size and length is alot better to have at the center spot than Ju-Ho or Bass. His D is no where near Diops but is still a much better option than what we have. as people haven noted, it is 6 more fouls at center spot...at least this guy has some low post moves and has a left hand. if Kidd dumps him a pass, he wont do a soft 1ft layup like Diop, Mags will dunk it

i know Kidd and Allen say he has been working hard, but my concern is what shape he is in after not playing for a month+..but i guess at 10-12 min as a backup conditioning shouldnt be as much as a factor if he was playing more minutes

duncan228
02-26-2008, 12:09 PM
No offense, but are you a female?

So, is it a good thing that everyone thinks I'm a man?
I never know whether I should take it as a compliment or not. :lmao

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
2) Why do you give a fuck how much he makes. It's not like you are paying. I would rather have Damp than not have him, for any price. The Mavs are not going under the cap anytime soon so it's not like we are getting flexibility if we reduce his contract.
His giant contract also makes him virtually untouchable in most trade scenarios. Not only is it a bad contract, but it's an albatross.

If he keeps playing motivated, I think he's valuable to the team.

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
His laziness, inability to read pick-n-rolls, and complete lethargy in rotating on defense is one of the main reasons guys like Amare absolutely rape the Mavericks.

Now Dirk/Bass is no solution at center. Neither of them have Damp's strength. But to call Dampier a big reason this team is improved on defense is just ignorant. Dirk's defensive improvement, along with the additions of Howard & Devin Harris, and Avery's defensive emphasis were the biggest factors.

Please tell me which other big center type, like Damp, has succesfully defended the Nash and Amare pick and roll? Damp always tries his best against them, but sometimes it's impossible to do anything. And a lot of it has to do with coaching. We get confused on pick and rolls involving everyone, not only Damp. We switch too much.

Josh and Devin were still on this team, and when Damp leaves our defense always takes a huge hit. That is the main evidence of how much he impacts our D. Wasn't Damp the second guy in +/- for the Mavs last year? That stat is often misleading, but it does show some thing.

Damp is just your scapegoat I think. I don't care how much he makes, I love him on this team. And for all the sadness you saw for Diop leaving, if Damp had left without a proper center coming back, you would have seen a rebellion from Mavs fans.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
So, is it a good thing that everyone thinks I'm a man?
I never know whether I should take it as a compliment or not. :lmao
in sports discussions, that is always a compliment.

in day-to-day life situations... its not very flattering.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 12:18 PM
in sports discussions, that is always a compliment.

in day-to-day life situations... its not very flattering.

It only happens here on ST.
I've never been mistaken for a man in person. :)

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
His giant contract also makes him virtually untouchable in most trade scenarios. Not only is it a bad contract, but it's an albatross.

If he keeps playing motivated, I think he's valuable to the team.

we are going for it with this group until 2010. That is when most contracts expire. We are not trading him, because we need him. As I said, flexibility is not needed at this point for us. Cuban could care less. He is throwing all the money he needs for this two year window we have. After that, the major rebuilding starts.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
It only happens here on ST.
I've never been mistaken for a man in person. :)
Thats a good thing. lol

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 12:22 PM
In the first half I was across the aisle from some annoying 8-year-old fetus that clapped those thundersticks together incessantly. Whoever invented thundersticks should be hunted for sport.

I was the 8-year-old fetus with the thundersticks. Mono is wrong again.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
As for Dampier... I agree with mono that some Mavs fans tend to give him a little too much credit, but at the same time, mono doesnt give him enough credit.

He may not be amazingly great or anything, but come on mono... who would you rather have taking up space in the middle? Guys like Shawn Bradley and Evan Eshmeyer? He is definitely an improvement defensively and people are far less likely to drive on him, as opposed to Bradley. His presence does make a difference whether he is playing motivated or not.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
He is definitely an improvement defensively and people are far less likely to drive on him, as opposed to Bradley. His presence does make a difference whether he is playing motivated or not.
Dwyane Wade was really frightened by the mere presence of Erick Dampier.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:32 PM
And Shawn Bradley would have made any difference?

In fact, the way Wade was hitting EVERYTHING that series, I don't think there was a big man in the league that could have made a difference. Ben Wallace surely didn't in the series prior.

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:34 PM

Wade didn't need to be frightened. He got the calls while being 10 feet away from the basket at time.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 12:34 PM

You always take things to the extreme.

(I need to put some pink in my post to match my pink mavs jersey) :elephant

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Wade didn't need to be frightened. He got the calls while being 10 feet away from the basket at time.
Yeah that was it. The refs cheated us.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
And Shawn Bradley would have made any difference?
I don't remember Mavs fans ever valiantly defending Shawn Bradley for his ability to set picks.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't remember Mavs fans ever valiantly defending Shawn Bradley for his ability to set picks.
Okay, what does that have to do with anything?

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Okay, what does that have to do with anything?
Why bring Shawn Bradley up at all like anybody thought he was special?

Dampier is better than nothing. Great. I'm glad we've been paying 10 million a year for "better than nothing".

What pisses me off most about Dampier is the obvious difference in when he's putting forth effort and when he isn't. It's incredible. He's a huge asset when he gives a shit. And for the salary he's getting, he ought to give a shit more than 15 games a year.

And just like Kidd's enthusiasm is infectious, you don't think Dampier's lack of commitment didn't affect the team in years past?

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah that was it. The refs cheated us.

No, Avery made some dumbass decisions, in slowing the game down, not playing Quis against their zone, and most importantly for doubling Shaq when Damp was holding his own quite well actually when in fact the defensive attention had to be turned to Wade. Avery also lost his cool a lot after game 4, and that's not a good sign to a team.

But however people try to spin it, and I try to do it to myself as well, we are two VERY VERY bad calls (on the back of a lot of other bad calls) at the end of games 5 and 6 from having a ring.

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:46 PM
And just like Kidd's enthusiasm is infectious, you don't think Dampier's lack of commitment didn't affect the team in years past?

No

Kidd is the second most important player on the Mavs, Damp is 4th or 5th.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
No

Kidd is the second most important player on the Mavs, Damp is 4th or 5th.
That explains why everybody loved having Darrell Armstrong for his locker room influence. Because he was the second most important player on the team.

stretch
02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Why bring Shawn Bradley up at all like anybody thought he was special?

Never said he was. Just said that Damp is an improvement, and has helped anchor this defense some, whether you want to admit it or not.

Dampier is better than nothing. Great. I'm glad we've been paying 10 million a year for "better than nothing".

I agree that he is vastly overpaid. Never said he wasn't.

What pisses me off most about Dampier is the obvious difference in when he's putting forth effort and when he isn't. It's incredible. He's a huge asset when he gives a shit. And for the salary he's getting, he ought to give a shit more than 15 games a year.

Never disagreed with that either.

Who knows? They still got to the finals, and their problem has never been having a lazy attitude, so I don't know if it was a very infectious attitude, the way Kidd's has been.

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I think the fans liked SuperSpare. He hardly made any influence on the games. Hey, the Mavs are a likable bunch. Clearely people like being in that lockerr room and it brings out the best of people very often. But just because they are likeable guys it doesn't make their attitude important to the team.
For further evidence see Daniels, Marquis; Harris, Devin; Diop, DeSagana; and also Johnson, Avery (03 summer trade that sent him to GS for Jamison).

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I still don't get why his contract is important, since he is not getting traded before 2010, when all of the contracts are set to expire anyway.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
For further evidence see Daniels, Marquis
His game was frustrating, but I never understood giving up on Marquis. He fell into Avery's doghouse and never got out. He's all messed up now in Indiana thanks to The Steven Jackson School For Handgun & Strip Club Etiquette, but I think that guy could have been a very valuable player for this team if he continued to develop here. He's a better slasher than anybody we have right now.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I still don't get why his contract is important, since he is not getting traded before 2010, when all of the contracts are set to expire anyway.

I guess you didn't get the memo. Mono pays Damps salary. :elephant

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I guess you didn't get the memo. Mono pays Damps salary. :elephant
Notice the strong points this guy makes. He really pays attention to the Mavericks, that's why he offers so much insight.

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
His game was frustrating, but I never understood giving up on Marquis. He fell into Avery's doghouse and never got out. He's all messed up now in Indiana thanks to The Steven Jackson School For Handgun & Strip Club Etiquette, but I think that guy could have been a very valuable player for this team if he continued to develop here. He's a better slasher than anybody we have right now.

I'll agree with you there. Ranks up there as one of the worst decisions the Mavs made. It was Avery being to stronheaded to have it any other way. His slashing could have won us the series against Miami, as game 6 proved, and he was an athlete we could have put against GS. He was never going to be a star in the league, but he fit in so well with the Mavs. Dirk, Josh, all liked the kid a lot.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Notice the strong points this guy makes. He really pays attention to the Mavericks, that's why he offers so much insight.

Go Mavs! Rah, Rah! :elephant

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/49/34/23493449.jpg

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but I follow the Mavs as if my life depended on it.

Trainwreck2100
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Was she hot? Cause hotness is usually a counterbalance to annoying and stupid.

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but I follow the Mavs as if my life depended on it.
Yeah I wasn't referring to you.

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Was she hot? Cause hotness is usually a counterbalance to annoying and stupid.

she knows all about it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
btw Magloire is only 29....by the way he gets described, you'd think he's older than Kevin Willis. I think he's got plenty in the tank to be a solid backup.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
wonder if the yao injury changes the mavs possiblity of getting magloire. He could sign with Houston and get good minutes....hopefully being teammates with Kidd will help the mavs case

Findog
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
wonder if the yao injury changes the mavs possiblity of getting magloire. He could sign with Houston and get good minutes....hopefully being teammates with Kidd will help the mavs case

What does Houston have to offer $$ wise? If he's after a ring and camaraderie*, Houston can't trump Dallas.

* Assuming he and Kidd are down with each other.

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
If he wanted minutes, he would have never considered Dallas in the first place. He know he will be a back up here. Go to Miami or Charlotte and have a change to start. He is coming to dallas because he might win a ring here, and because he knows kidd and because people love to come to Dallas so they can get the Cuban treatment.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
If he wanted minutes, he would have never considered Dallas in the first place. He know he will be a back up here. Go to Miami or Charlotte and have a change to start. He is coming to dallas because he might win a ring here, and because he know kidd.

well im sure those teams werent interested in Magloire seeing they arent playing for anything. Of all the teams interested in Magloire none of them would have given him lots of minutes...if houston is interested it would have to be intreging to him but we all know money plays a role to

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
you think houston is playing for anything now? did u see that stretch they have coming up in march.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
you think houston is playing for anything now? did u see that stretch they have coming up in march.

i dont...but why would a young team at the bottom of the standings want Magloire. im sure the rockets would still love to make the playoffs, their not going to tank the season bc of this

Findog
If I'm the Rockets, I could bust ass to make the eighth seed and go out in the first round again, or I could drop down into the lottery in a deep draft and get a nice player for next year. Seems pretty obvious to me.

ratm1221

Houston easily drops 9 in March. :elephant

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
the Ticket just announced that Magloire WILL sign with Dallas after 6 PM.

LEONARD
02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Mavs will sign him after 5:00 (clears waivers) today according to The Ticket in Dallas (their source being the Dallas Morning News).

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Hells ya. Foul trouble/injury insurance for Damp. Now go get Flip Murray, because Double B isn't leaving Central Texas.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
forget the 3 J's; the mavs now have 7 J's

Josh
J-Kidd
JET
Ju-Ho
JJB
Jamal
Jerry

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Magloire cancels out the loss of Diop. Diop is slightly better on defense, he's a better shotblocker, they're about equal when it comes to rebounding, but Magloire can actually put the ball in the hoop on the low blocks, whereas Diop is a complete nonentity on offense.

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Mavs are not the favorites or anything like that, but we now have a fighting chance. That's all you can ask for when the Spurs are still around and the Lakers get an all-star for nothing.

ratm1221
02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
the Ticket just announced that Magloire WILL sign with Dallas after 6 PM.

Nice.

stretch
02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
forget the 3 J's; the mavs now have 7 J's

Josh
J-Kidd
JET
Ju-Ho
JJB
Jamal
Jerry
:lol

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Hells ya. Foul trouble/injury insurance for Damp. Now go get Flip Murray, because Double B isn't leaving Central Texas.
I was about to say "Hell no" to Flip, but I guess for 10 minutes a game he's a better option than JJ or Eddie.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Dang. I figured the Mavs would sign some big man. I just hoped it would be be someone a lot worse. He'll fill the gap Diop left well enough.

Bruno
02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Magloire is a solid pickup. He is not at the level of Diop but he could help Mavs against big centers like Shaq.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
anything is better than Ju-Ho, well maybe not Kevin Willis

endrity
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Mavs are not the favorites or anything like that, but we now have a fighting chance. That's all you can ask for when the Spurs are still around and the Lakers get an all-star for nothing.

Yeah, I think it will be a 3man race. It would be nice not to play both of them but I think a SA-Dallas 2nd round matchup is coming again.

And as Mono said, 10 minutes for Flip can't be that bad. Maybe Kidd turns himo into productive as well. BB is staying home, and Cassell is going to Boston anyways.

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I was about to say "Hell no" to Flip, but I guess for 10 minutes a game he's a better option than JJ or Eddie.

Yeah, you're not getting blue chippers off the waiver wire in late February. Bottom line, he's better than those two spares.

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
It's still to early to rule out Phoenix. They haven't looked good with Shaq so far, but you never know. Too soon to write them off.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Mavs now have 7 current/former all-stars

Dirk
Kidd
Stack
Josh
Eddie
Juwan
Jamal

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Mavs now have 7 current/former all-stars

Dirk
Kidd
Stack
Josh
Eddie
Juwan
Jamal

AARP!

endrity
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
It's still to early to rule out Phoenix. They haven't looked good with Shaq so far, but you never know. Too soon to write them off.

it would take a huge turnaround, that's all

stretch
02-26-2008, 02:37 PM
No, I'm pretty sure they are done.

They weren't even contenders to begin with.

ludda
02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
You can't rule out any of the 8 playoff teams in the West. I thought Mav fans would have learned that by now judging from last season...

Anyways, solid pickup on Magloire. Anyone know why he fell out of rotation on a bad Nets team?

stretch
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
You can't rule out any of the 8 playoff teams in the West. I thought Mav fans would have learned that by now judging from last season...

Anyways, solid pickup on Magloire. Anyone know why he fell out of rotation on a bad Nets team?
There is a difference between being able to win a playoff series with some luck, and being a championship contender.

Golden State was fortunate to have beat Dallas, but everyone knew they weren't winning a title.

Phoenix may be able to win a series, but they were never winning a title either.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
You can't rule out any of the 8 playoff teams in the West. I thought the Mavs would have learned that by now judging from last season...

i thought nets believed him to be a key piece, so who knows...they signed him for $4 mil which isnt cheap. i wonder if it was discussed between the nets/mavs that magloire would be released and the mavs would sign him

Findog
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM

I'm not dismissing the Suns.

Kidd says that Frank wanted to utilize a center to operate out of the high post, and Mags is more of a low-post player. Supposedly he's got an attitude problem and bitches when things don't go his way.

endrity
yeah that's true, I hope the team knows better though. The fans can get carried away.

There were two reasons for Magloire appearently. The wanted to try the young guys (Boone, Williams, Krstic now coming back) and appearently the coaching staff wanted high post guys, not low post like Magloire. He also was an FO signing, on which Lawrence Frank had not given his approval. Just a bad situation. But when he has played, he has played wel.

stretch
i thought nets believed him to be a key piece, so who knows...they signed him for $4 mil which isnt cheap. i wonder if it was discussed between the nets/mavs that magloire would be released and the mavs would sign him
I wouldn't be suprized at all if they were talking about that as well.

endrity
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't be suprized at all if they were talking about that as well.

That theory has been out there as well. The Mavs wanted a big man in return, but they couldn't make the numbers work so the Nets just said they were going to wave Mags since he was an expiring contract anyway.

stretch
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
That theory has been out there as well. The Mavs wanted a big man in return, but they couldn't make the numbers work so the Nets just said they were going to wave Mags since he was an expiring contract anyway.
Yea, I had always had a feeling that it seemed like the Mavs would be smart enough to figure out some separate deal for a decent big man in this trade, and I always had a feeling Magliore would end up in Dallas eventually.

sribb43
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
http://startelegram.typepad.com/mavs_fullcourt_press/

Source: Magloire a done deal
Center Jamaal Magloire, released by the Nets on Friday, will sign with the Mavericks when he clears waivers later this evening, according to a league source.

The source was unsure of Brent Barry's intentions once he becomes a free agent later today. Barry, traded from San Antonio to Seattle last week and subsequently cut by the Sonics, is considering the Spurs, Suns, Mavs and Rockets. Reports earlier today suggested the 3-point specialist was leaning toward the Suns.

Magloire, 6-11, 265, played in just 24 games for the Nets, averaging 1.8 points and 3.4 rebounds. Since becoming a surprise All-Star in 2003-04 when averaged 13.6 points and 10.4 rebounds with New Orleans, he's bounced around to Milwaukee, Portland and New Jersey.

He'll rejoin former Nets teammates Jason Kidd, Malik Allen and Antoine Wright with the Mavs. Magloire, 29, could be a valuable piece backing up starter Erick Dampier in the competitive Western Conference. The Mavs sent DeSagana Diop to the Nets as part of the blockbuster trade.

Magloire will sign a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum.

The Mavs will have one more open roster spot on the 15-man roster.

The Mavs play at San Antonio on Thursday and return home on Friday to face Sacramento.

-- Jeff Caplan.

SAGambler
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Gotta be a reason why 3 teams have given up on him. Guess Mavs will get him cheap though.

Amarelooms
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Gotta be a reason why 3 teams have given up on him. Guess Mavs will get him cheap though.

I sure hope the Rockets dont try and convince him to come to H town now that Yao is out :elephant

stretch
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I sure hope the Rockets dont try and convince him to come to H town now that Yao is out :elephant
Too late. He's coming to Dallas.

mavsfan1000
02-26-2008, 08:22 PM
http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.php?p=817480&postcount=325

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.php?p=817480&postcount=325
Nothin better than a good Rick Roll. He should have made it less obvious, everybody oughta be able to call bullshit as soon as George Gervin is mentioned as Hawks GM.