PDA

View Full Version : Cassell to be bought out

stretch
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
should the Mavs pursue?

AZLouis
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
No the Suns should end their bid in trying to find a friend for the Polish Rifle and get Cassell.

mrsmaalox
02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
No the Suns should end their bid in trying to find a friend for the Polish Rifle and get Cassell.

Sorry, what's a "Polish Rifle"?

monosylab1k
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
i thought he already said he's going to Boston.

stretch
02-26-2008, 09:53 AM
i thought he already said he's going to Boston.
He said that he wanted to go there previously. But who knows. That was before all the moves took place, and before Boston started to suck. Maybe he will want to go somewhere else.

AZLouis
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Polish Rifle is Piatkowski's nickname.

Brent Barry could be a nice addition 3 years ago, but IMO he would end up keeping the Polish Rifle company at the end of the bench. Antoni just doesn't play the bench and I don't see him changing that line of thinking for an injured Brent Barry. See Jalen Rose.

Findog
02-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Man, it would be sweet if we could get Cassell, but we already have Terry and Stack. He'd be hardpressed for heavy minutes. Boston can offer him more minutes and probably has a better chance of reaching the Finals, and I'm pretty sure he's still tight with KG.

duncan228
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
My local paper here in Lakers/Clippers land still says Boston is his only wish.

loveforthegame
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd be shocked if he doesn't go to Boston. He'll get a lot more playing time there than any other contending team.

Findog
02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
That's a good move for Boston. It helps put them on a more even footing with Detroit.

mavsfan1000
02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
16 rings bitches and we are getting Cassell to.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Said he wants to go to the Nuggets next year and so im hoping he comes early since he is being bought out. He would be huge on the Nuggets coz they need desperate help at the PG.

He has a great relationship with George Karl and may help finally get some lreadership on the team.

JamStone
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
He would actually be a very good fit for the Nuggets. He has a little more size than Carter. While he's not going to be shutting down Kobe and other bigger 2-guards, he's a better match-up than either Carter or Iverson on them. Plus, he has the personality and demeanor to not just defer to Iverson and Carmelo. He'll slow it down if they start getting crazy. Tough player and smart player. Nuggets would be very smart to get him.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I know they want him but its a no brainer for him to choose the Celtics

endrity
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Cassell is going to Boston.

Barry is going home (or staying home I should say).

No news here.

Findog
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-30-114/Sam-Cassell--Potentially-Grumpy-Warrior-or-Sun.html

Warriors have a TE and could bring him in off waivers. This might get interesting.

Shank
02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
How much of the MLE does Boston have left?

ThomasGranger
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Cassell buyout hits snag
Email|Print| Text size – + By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / February 27, 2008

An NBA source said yesterday that Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not seem interested in buying out the final year of guard Sam Cassell's contract. Cassell's agent, David Falk, has given the Clippers a deadline of Saturday to complete the buyout so the 6-foot-3-inch, two-time NBA champion would be eligible for another team's postseason roster. Cassell is being paid $6.1 million this season, and is believed to be owed about one-third of that total.
more stories like this

The NBA source said the Celtics and possibly the Nuggets, both over the salary cap, would be interested in Cassell if he is bought out prior to Saturday's deadline. Both teams could only offer a prorated amount of the veteran's minimum, around $1.2 million. Falk didn't respond to an e-mail yesterday and couldn't be reached by phone.

Cassell, 38, is averaging 12.8 points and 4.7 assists this season. He has said he would have no problem backing up starting point guard Rajon Rondo if he came to Boston. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has said he is interested in finding the "right veteran point guard."

Another NBA source said free agent guard Brent Barry, who cleared waivers yesterday, is still considering Boston. Barry also is considering the Spurs, but he can't re-sign with his former team for another three weeks. The Celtics are also believed to be interested in free agent guard Flip Murray, who cleared waivers yesterday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/27/cassell_buyout_hits_snag/

LakeShow
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Cassell buyout hits snag
Email|Print| Text size – + By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / February 27, 2008

An NBA source said yesterday that Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not seem interested in buying out the final year of guard Sam Cassell's contract. Cassell's agent, David Falk, has given the Clippers a deadline of Saturday to complete the buyout so the 6-foot-3-inch, two-time NBA champion would be eligible for another team's postseason roster. Cassell is being paid $6.1 million this season, and is believed to be owed about one-third of that total.
more stories like this

The NBA source said the Celtics and possibly the Nuggets, both over the salary cap, would be interested in Cassell if he is bought out prior to Saturday's deadline. Both teams could only offer a prorated amount of the veteran's minimum, around $1.2 million. Falk didn't respond to an e-mail yesterday and couldn't be reached by phone.

Cassell, 38, is averaging 12.8 points and 4.7 assists this season. He has said he would have no problem backing up starting point guard Rajon Rondo if he came to Boston. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has said he is interested in finding the "right veteran point guard."

Another NBA source said free agent guard Brent Barry, who cleared waivers yesterday, is still considering Boston. Barry also is considering the Spurs, but he can't re-sign with his former team for another three weeks. The Celtics are also believed to be interested in free agent guard Flip Murray, who cleared waivers yesterday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/27/cassell_buyout_hits_snag/

This one is probably in trouble. When I saw that they gave Sterlings a deadline, I said, WTF? Why piss off the owner? If Cassell wants to leave so bad he should just take what they're offering and try to make it up from whoever he signs with. IMO

sribb43
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
This one is probably in trouble. When I saw that they gave Sterlings a deadline, I said, WTF? Why piss off the owner? If Cassell wants to leave so bad he should just take what they're offering and try to make it up from whoever he signs with. IMO

well he has to be waived by saturday March 1 inorder to be eligible for the playoffs on his new teams roster

BillsCarnage
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Polish Rifle is Piatkowski's nickname.

Brent Barry could be a nice addition 3 years ago, but IMO he would end up keeping the Polish Rifle company at the end of the bench. Antoni just doesn't play the bench and I don't see him changing that line of thinking for an injured Brent Barry. See Jalen Rose.

I'd rather they make a play for Giricek instead. Probably a little bit better defender than Barry, which ain't saying much.

LakeShow
02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
well he has to be waived by saturday March 1 inorder to be eligible for the playoffs on his new teams roster

Yeah i know but couldn't he have asked instead of demand?